Start by marking “A Tale of Beauty and Beast: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #2)” as Want to Read:

A Tale of Beauty and Beast: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast

(Beyond the Four Kingdoms #2)

Princess Sophia has helped her twin sister Lily save the duchy of Marin. But now Sophie faces an even greater threat when she sets out to free the cursed kingdom of Palinar from its beastly prince. Alone, and with danger on every side, Sophie must navigate a magical castle and its even more mysterious master to discover the secret to breaking the curse.

Except the more time
Published November 26th 2017 by Luminant Publications

To ask other readers questions about A Tale of Beauty and Beast, please sign up.
Jennifair Something to completely set aside when reading this novel is absolutely everything about the Disney version. I know it's something we all know and lov…moreSomething to completely set aside when reading this novel is absolutely everything about the Disney version. I know it's something we all know and love quite ardently but THEY ARE NOTHING ALIKE. (less)

Start your review of A Tale of Beauty and Beast: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #2)
Alaina
AHHHHHHHH THE FEELS!!

With Disney+ and this series, I'm just getting all teary-eyed! I love re-tellings.. and freaking Beauty & The Beast! Definitely dream about that wonderful library every damn day - #goals! A Tale of Beauty and Beast is exactly that. A wonderful retelling.. that will make you think of the Disney movie! Some things were a little different but everything was highly entertaining.

The romance was cute and adorable.. but I am rather fond of the movie version more. Mostly because I g
Amanda Hupe
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You all know how much I love retellings! A Tale of Beauty and the Beast by Melanie Cellier is the 2nd book in the Beyond the Four Kingdoms series. In the first book, A Dance of Silver and Shadow, the princess tourney is over and Princess Sophie is the winner–which means she must journey to Palinar to meet her betrothed. Prince Dominic is said to be a beast and his country cursed. However, she isn’t too worried. She and her sister Lily have a special connection and can speak to each other through ...more
J.M. Stengl
Another delightful retelling, this one of my favorite fairy tale. I have enjoyed so much reading stories about the twins from the first book in this series. Their twin relationship is fun, especially with their godmother gift. :-)
I enjoyed the romance and the way this story ties in with the rest of the series. Lots of exciting action and a sweet romance. I think I liked Lily's romance better, but this one is good too. I guess I just wanted . . . more. Which is a whole lot better than wanting les
Emma
Words can’t express how beautiful this book is... or how much I loved it. It was so good I could just cry right now.

This may just be my very favorite Beauty and the Beast retelling of all time. It was definitely one of the best fairytale retellings I’ve ever read.

Although I liked Lily in the first one, Sophie is my favorite twin. She is such an incredible character. She is kind but also strong and I loved her story so, so much. If you haven’t read the first one, go do that!! It makes this one
Tricia Mingerink
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While I didn't love this one quite as much as the first one, I still really enjoyed it. Only two things dampened my enjoyment. I didn't love Sophie as a character as much as I loved Lily (because Lily is the sassier of the two) and Beauty and the Beast retellings can be hard to pull off without making the main guy come off as a complete creeper.

At the beginning of the book, I wasn't sure I was going to like the romance. I didn't like the main guy and girl together at all, and this book skirted
Sommer Walker
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another beautiful novel that I couldn't read fast enough and hated to see end! I honestly think this book was my favorite ... though I have felt that many times reading the different fairy tale retellings in Melanie's books.

The Four Kingdoms Books and Beyond the Four Kingdoms novels have honestly become my favorite series of books. That says a lot as I am an avid reader and have many authors I treasure, but I know with each book of Melanie Cellier's I will not be disappointed but only enchanted.
Leah Good
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"If I truly believed I had power over my own actions and choices, then my apologies and thanks couldn't be conditional on his."

"My gratitude for his rescue was not contingent on his gratitude for me rescuing him back. The beast might not deserve my good attitude, but I did. I wanted to be a royal who earned respect, not one who demanded it."

I'm so happy to have found a retelling of Beauty and the Beast that rivals Beauty, by Robin McKinley in how much I enjoyed it. The story mostly follows the
Tandie
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up. I was pleasantly surprised by the writing. Does that mean I’m pessimistic? Probably. This was a decent retelling of Beauty and the Beast. There are psychic twins, but it wasn’t lame. I listened to the audiobook and enjoyed the narration.
Pamela(AllHoney)
The second book in the Beyond the Four Kingdoms series by Melanie Cellier. The Princess Tourney is over and now is it time for Princess Sophie, twin sister to Princess Lily of A Dance of Silver and Shadow: A Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, to travel to Palinar to meet the beast, I mean, Prince Dominic. All Sophie hears at first is his growls and reads his demands on the notes he writes to her. But she keeps hearing voices and realizes that, though she can't hear her sister's voice an ...more
Raquel Evans
I read this immediately after A Dance of Silver and Shadow: A Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, so it took a little bit to adjust to Sophie's voice instead of Lily's, but despite being slower to pull me in, by the end I loved it just as much as the first book. ...more
Amaka
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
I've had my fair share of the Beauty and the Beast retelling. I must admit that this is the one of the best ones I've read. I really loved it.
Denae Christine
Reader thoughts: I thought I would miss Lily, but I really liked Sophie. She didn't waste time moping or complaining. She just worked on figuring out how to listen to voices/thoughts and how to break the curse (although she had almost nothing to go on).

I liked the magical limitations in this book. Sophie's and Lily's connection was blocked by a barrier. The beast prince could only go so far from the mansion. The servants were literally invisible, in another dimension/realm but could still move a
Amelia Eckert
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A Tale of Beauty and the Beast, by Melanie Cellier.
I felt so moved by Sophie's trials and wins.
how could she ever find a way to reach through to the beast, and stay brave, and true to herself and her feeling.
but did you really want to find good left in beast hard shell, every time I thought maybe, he'd push her away from seeing the truth.
I love how Melanie Cellier worked with the story, balancing it with a fresh brezze over a tale as old as time.
as I read your work old favourites move happily do
Mummy's Naughty Corner
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Morgan (youarethelibrarian)
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book in one sitting! That is so rare for me, and it was so fun racing through it!
I liked that Sophie's mental communication with Lily was part of the solution for her ability to communicate with the Beast and servants, however, I think the Beast's ability or inability to communicate could have been explained a little better. I wasn't sure how he was able to communicate with the servants at all, since they communicated verbally and he, supposedly, could not. The other thing that was n
Lizzie
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is probably my favorite book in the world! Except maybe for Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice. The thing is you can not compare those three books. This book is my favorite book for a reason. My favorite Book of all Cellier’s books. I have followed this series for a while and after reading the first book in the first series I couldn’t wait to see what Cellier would do with the twins. When it came out I was over the moon and read the first in the second series in one day. About a few months la ...more
Brie
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always struggle with giving 5 star reviews, but I really did enjoy this book! I still loved the sister-telepathic connection, though there wasn't as much as in the first book (obviously). I also love the Beauty and the Beast story in general..so this book was pretty much a success with me from the beginning. I've never read a retelling of the story before and I think that's another reason I enjoyed it so much. I'm glad I was alone while reading it because I think between my whipping-blankies-o ...more
Lexie
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
These books are super delightful with enough familiar elements of the fairy tales they reimagine to make me smile.

While Dominic is definitely someone to get used to, I appreciated that Sophie had just as much to grow past in order for her to find the solution to Palinar's curse.
Annette
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never really liked the Disney version of Beauty and the Beast. I don't know why. But not even the live action one could really enchant me. But it seems that lately the bookworld is blessing me with retellings that actually do work for me and that make me care about the beauty and the beast and their love story. And this one was really enchanting and lovely.

It helps that Sophie is great character. She's a little more firm and more bossy than her twin sister, but I think that works perfectly
Jennifair
May 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is a difficult review for me to compile because I'm struggling to come to terms with why I didn't really love the story as a whole. I think it comes down to the romance factor for me. I mean hello, it's Beauty and the frickin' beast here. As per usual when it comes to any re-telling of this particular tale, we're all on pins and needles waiting for the supposed inevitable moment(s) when the heroine starts to fall for the beast. I feel like unfortunately Melanie really missed the "slow burn" ...more
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have definitely enjoyed this off-shoot series from Melanie Cellier. I didn't love all the Four Kingdoms books, but Cellier has matured in her writing in this series. The first was very good, and I truly relished this second. This definitely jumped up to one of my favorite Beauty and the Beast retellings. Very well told, tight plot with good twists, believable romance development, and nice prose. I liked the connections to the previous tale as well, it had a nice cohesion. This was one of those ...more
April
3.5 Stars- An enjoyable addition to the series!

I did enjoy diving back into the Four Kingdoms series again! Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite fairytales! While I truly did enjoy this tale and liked the little twist Cellier added to make it her own, I still found it a little too much like the well known tale. I think I was expecting her to own it a little more.

Sophie, at times made me want to shake her; still I liked her character whom I enjoyed getting to know in the 1st Book. Dominic m
Alyssa
If you love retellings and fairy tales, you're sure to love this retelling of Beauty and the Beast with all its twists and turns. Here, we follow the story of Sophie, twin sister of Lily, who is going off to the dreaded prince's castle. It's the first time they've ever been apart. I like this story because it doesn't have the Disney fluff, but presents a sadder, more anguished side to the story of why a prince became a beast.
Emily
It was fine. Its "Newness" and therefore its strengths as a retelling come from its status as an installment in a series of interconnected fairytales. I did not read the first one, and I stand by that because you certainly don't need to, but the book thinks you did and builds its own intrigue wholly on that. Likable characters (as much as Early Beast is ever likable), good pacing, just... on the whole okay.
Mary Ellen
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omg I loved this book even more than the first book. Although I am a sucker for a good Beauty and the Beast retelling. I really enjoyed this one because it had both Disney elements mixed with the classical retelling. I can't wait to start book 3.
Grant
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5 stars.
I didn't like this one as much as the first book. The plot felt much more derivative and cliché. The characters were still interesting, and the worldbuilding is fine, but overall, it just didn't capture my attention as well.
Laura Ferrin
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this one much more than A Tale of Silver and Shadow. I loved the relationships, between Sofie and Lily, Sophie and the servants, and Sophie and Dominic. A good amount of magic, humor, and romance. I'm excited to continue the series.
Bethany Kellam
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’m usually a sucker for Beauty and the Beast retellings, but this one was not great.

Once again, like most of Ms. Cellier’s books, interesting ideas, but poor execution.
Fanaticmama
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not as good as the first but still good!
Deborah
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This author has a gift for changing up these classic fairy tales. I really am enjoying this series. I wish there was more interaction between the main love interests. That’s my only big critique.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• An Unnatural Beanstalk (Entwined Tales, #2)
  • A Bear's Bride (Entwined Tales, #3)
  • A Goose Girl (Entwined Tales, #1)
  • A Beautiful Curse (Entwined Tales, #4)
  • A Little Mermaid (Entwined Tales, #5)
  • Traitor's Masque (Andari Chronicles, #1)
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • Princess of Secrets (Fairy Tale Adventures, #2)
  • Spelled (The Kingdom Chronicles, #2)
  • Goldheart (Andari Chronicles, #2)
  • Pirouette (Andari Chronicles, #3)
  • Identity (The Kingdom Chronicles #3)
  • Reflection (The Kingdom Chronicles, #4)
  • Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • Shadow and Thorn (Andari Chronicles, #4)
  • Princess of Mermaids (Fairy Tale Adventures, #3)
  • Enchantment (The Kingdom Chronicles, #5)
  • Daughter of Lies (Andari Chronicles, #5)
Melanie Cellier grew up on a staple diet of books, books and more books. And although she got older, she never stopped loving children’s and young adult novels.
 She always wanted to write one herself, but it took three careers and three different continents before she actually managed it.

She now feels incredibly fortunate to spend her time writing from her home in Adelaide, Australia where she

Beyond the Four Kingdoms (6 books)
  • A Dance of Silver and Shadow: A Retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • A Crown of Snow and Ice: A Retelling of The Snow Queen (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #3)
  • A Dream of Ebony and White: A Retelling of Snow White (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #5)
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #6)