Start by marking “The Gamble” as Want to Read:
The Gamble

The Gamble

I need a wife. She needs money. It's a gamble, but one month will solve both our problems.

Unimpressed with my billionaire playboy ways, my father has given me an ultimatum — settle down and get married before the investors’ meeting of Gaston Pharmaceuticals, or I’m out the door. Yeah... he’s a dick but he holds my future in his hands, so I need to play nice, for a while.

On
Published September 18th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Gamble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gamble

Heather
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This contemporary romance had a slightly different twist on the forced marriage trope that is commonly found in a historical romance. Talen is told by his father that unless he wants to lose everything - the job, penthouse and all the money - he must marry a respectable woman within one month to impress the stockholders. After his initial outrage at the suggestion, Talen and his best friend get drunk in Vegas. So when Talen wakes up married to Dani, a complete stranger, he sees it as an opportun ...more
Danny {literary_owl}
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.

The Gamble by Alice Ward.
4 stars.
Standalone.

So.. I started this book slowly, I didn't connect immediately but, somehow, in the middle, I was hooked. I couldn't stop reading and flipping pages! I must say I've read this one until 4 am 'cause I couldn't sleep without knowing what would happen. (It really made me regret this morning haha)

Talen pissed me off more than enough times... His way of always going with someone's mind except his wa
Donna Repsher
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I've now read several books by Alice Ward, and while they often get off to a rocky start they usually end well with a heartwarming sense of rightness, and so I was eager to get my hands on an advance reader copy of this latest novel, but for several reasons which I'll get to shortly, I could only give it a 3.5 star rating.

Told in alternating narration, we first meet Talen, heir to a billion dollar big pharma company owned and headed by his impossible to please draconian father. Were this novel s
Inn Auni
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
My initial thought was, based on the cover, the H is an a**hole. But, I got fooled by the cover. Talen was not bad. A bit childish but, likable. He needed a wife to please his father and the shareholders. I kind of hate this plot because who said you needed a partner to make you look good. All Talen got to do was spend less time in Vegas and more in places like the Big Brother program he joined.

This was the second book I'd read with both MC gotten drunk and married in Vegas. I don't remember muc
Faith89
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-review
received copy for honest review
This is a fake/marriage of convenience romance. Talon needed a trophy wife and Dani needed money for the care of her mother. There are no surprises and crazy plot twists. Most things follow as you expect. They both get more than they bargained for. What starts out as fake soon becomes real. Talon was not a strong of a character. He was bullied by his father and a little meek in most things. He was a spoiled playboy. after a lifetime of bullying, it was easy for his
Emily (Mrs B's Books)

I really liked this book. Its a what happens in Vegas book, but of course it never really stays there, especially as both characters live near the edges of Vegas.

Talen is a bit of a party boys at the weekend but works hard during the week, but seems to have daddy issues, especially as his dad seems to be a nasty character.

Dani right from the beginning is a caring soul and wants to help her mother as much as she can
April Symes
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, arc-review
Alice Ward’s “The Gamble” is a story of fake marriage of convenience that turns into romance story. Talon needed a trophy wife or he loses everything - the job, penthouse and all the money while Dani needs money to take care of her mother.
Talen ends up in Las Vegas with his best bud trying to drink his troubles away and wakes up married to Dani – a woman who is a complete and total stranger. Usually that is a cause of alarm but to Talen, he is happy because he sees it as an opportunity to make
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Talen Gaston and Dani Brooks find themselves married after a night of drinking in Las Vegas. These two strangers make and agreement to stay married for 30 days. Talen's father the head of a billion dollar Pharmaceutical company has ordered his son to get married in 30 days or he will find a bride for him. So he ask Dani to stay married to him for the sum of $100,000.oo and he would give her an annulment after the 30 days. Dani needs the money too put her mother into an assistant living facility ...more
Heather Merriman
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this light read by Alice Ward. Not too much angst, just enough to keep me reading.
After Talon is given an ultimatum by his father to get married or he's out of the family company, he runs off with his best friend to Vegas and wakes up the next morning married to Dani. Their first thought is to get an annulment but he then proceeds to talk her into staying married for a month. It will help them both out in the long run. It's a win-win situation. What they don't bargain for is actual fe
Pelusa Rivera
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Received an Advanced Copy for my voluntary review for Hidden Gems. The book was ok, it was entertaining. Talen was a rich playboy, who apparently does not want to grow up. His friend Brandon, constantly convinces him to go party and get drunk and pick up woman, this seems to be their MO. However Talens dad gives him a choice, stop that lifestyle and get married, or lose everything. We meet Dani, whose five year boyfriend, dumps her by phone on one of the most important days of her life. She also ...more
Lisa Guzman
This was definitely a gamble

I took a gamble on this book since I liked what the blurb said. Guy needs a wife in order to tame his bad boy reputation and secure his spot in his fathers company. Sounds good so far. He finds a wife after one night of drinking in a strip club in Vegas. So drunk they get married but neither one really remembers. Woman agrees to stay married for her own reasons but lines are crossed. Each one wanting more but afraid to ask. Well this story seemed to have the makings f
♥️Fantasy Land Blog Book Reviewer♥️
I know it has probably been said in other reviews, but here goes. What happens in Vegas does not always stay in Vegas (haha). In Alice Ward's new book that is somewhat true. Talen and Dani do get married in Vegas but they also live in the outskirts. If you have lived in the Vegas area you know that once you leave the strip it is a whole nother area, so once they left that casino and wedding they could have left that all behind. But Talen needed that marriage and in her own way so did Dani.
This
Frances
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alice-ward, arcs
***I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.***

Talen and Dani's relationship had a rough start; from meeting at a strip club and getting drunk to waking upbeing married to each other without remembering that they actually got married. Despite many problems, they grew to like each other a lot.

I really liked how this book was written because it has the perfect details on what a relationship undergoes from beginning to end. Some starts of nicely and some starts on the wrong footi
Sheri Bishop
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alice Ward does it again - such a good book! We know right from the beginning how perfect Talen and Dani are together but it seems they need a little convincing. And thus from that comes our story - full of HOT sex, angst, love, and yes, even friendship.

Alice always writes such intriguing stories. She lures you in with a story that seems like just a piece of fluff then bang, she goes to the depths of human emotion. I'm so glad I discovered her and grab her books the day they are published.

Grab y
Angala Fox
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book. This was another great book by Alice Ward. I love these fake marriage romances that end with the two main characters falling in love and this one did not disappoint. I loved the journey this book takes you on. Definitely a recommended must read.
Eleonor
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This book is well written and tells a captivating story. All characters are interesting and well developed. I read this book in one sitting and liked it. I was a little disappointed because, unlike in all prior books by this author, I couldn't find that elusive connection with characters.
Stacy
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is The Hangover meets romance. Talk about a great book. I was a bit nervous to read this book from Alice Ward, as her last book totally gutted me. Thankfully this book wasn't like the last at all.

I love reading books where the characters get married by "accident". Their relationships are always so much better, as you get to watch them be thrown into a relationship and fall in love. The Gamble is by far my favorite book in that aspect. Talen and Dani were the perfect for each other, and
Michelle Harris
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There's just no denying how wonderful this book was. I didn't want to stop once I started it. The characters were amazing and the story flowed so well. Loved it! You should definitely read this. I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book.
Sara Oxton
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Gamble Alice Ward a four-star read that is worth the gamble. Alice Ward writes a great story, she makes you fall into the story and not want to get out, you will start by liking Talen but thinking he needs a good shake, but will the woman he takes a gamble on make him see things differently? Or will the gamble be a loss and will he stay being a douche? What made this book so amazing for me is Dani, she was someone I loved from the start, she is struggling but not letting it get her down.
If
Cheryl   Graham-Petit
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alice Ward has a unique talent of giving her readers exactly what they want... drama, well-developed characters, hot chemistry, many emotions, a plot that is intriguing and interesting, and so much more.

I volunteered to review an advance reader copy of this book.
Kristy France
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely f-loved this book! Dani and Talen were just so wonderfully matched...the passion, the drama, the suspense waiting to find out when they would figure things out. This book was excellent! THREE thumbs up!
Jo
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Typically I LOVE an Alice Ward book, but I feel I would rate this book at 3.8 out of 5 stars. I feel like there were too many similarities between Caitlyn from The Hunt (Ms. Wards previous, and excellent, book) and Dani, the female lead in The Gamble. They both painted professionally and held gallery showings, were raised by a widowed older woman with serious/deadly health issues, worked two jobs plus sold paintings to help pay for their mother
Marcy Sue
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review is based on an ARC that I received in exchange for my honest review.

You might think that you have had enough of wealthy men and the women that they never knew that they needed. If the author is as talented as Alice Ward, then you need not worry that the story is just a repeat of an often told tale.

I found that Talen and Dani were intriguing. In the progression of the story, we learn enough of who they were that we can pick up right at where, and who, they are. If you expect a story
Ida Guldberg
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
**I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book**

I have read several books by Alice Ward. The (her) books often start off rocky, with a little dilemma/drama twisted into the story, and therefore I was excited to have the opportunity as a ARC of this novel. I would have loved to give this book 5 starts, but for some reason it felt like something was missing to the story, and therefore I could only give it 4 stars.

The book was written both in Talen and Dani's POV.
Talen who is a heir t
BookAddict
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After a night involving way too much alcohol, Talen wakes up in bed with a woman who is a virtual stranger. It’s not the first time he’s found a woman he barely knows in his bed the next morning, but this is certainly the first time he and the woman have been wearing matching wedding bands! The fact that his best friend Brandon walks into the bedroom wearing an Elvis costume just adds to the confusion. But before Talen can go with Dani to get their marriage annulled, Brandon convinces Talen that ...more
Megan
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, sexy, tumultuous, romantic
I think the best part about this particular book is that the drama wasn't piled on. There could have been so much to get in their way, but the plot was relatively simple enough that the relationship they were trying to build/not build remained the focus. It allowed us to really see these people and their own struggles and how they came together despite their differences and the not-so-obvious obstacles.

Obstacles in the form of parents are always tricky. The villainous father, the sick mother, bo
Rebecca Grove
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Talen is from a wealthy family who plays hard and works hard. He enjoys women and drinking as a distraction from his demanding father who tries to control his life. Talen works hard for the family business but his father never seems to appreciate any of his work. Then his dad calls him to his office. Their business must get a merger to continue to be successful and his dad thinks that investors are uncomfortable with Talen's playboy ways. His dad is giving him the month until the merger meeting ...more
Pam
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With The Gamble, Alice Ward has managed to write a magnificent novel. It is full of romance and action while keeping the reader in tears or laughter as they read. It is short enough to be read in one sitting which is definitely a plus. The characters are very realistic and act like real people with real feelings and emotions. It is definitely going to be a best-selling book.
Dani Brooks works two jobs to support herself and her Mother. However, with her Mother getting dementia, it will soon not
Jin
Shelves: 2017
this is second book by Alice Ward and i enjoyed both books.
very unusual story of two people (Talen and Dani) finding love. Talen did everything his father asked him to do but he never recognized his accomplishments. Now his father was fed up with his son's player boy lifestyle, he gives ultimatum, he needs to find a wife within month or he will loose everything. he never imagined he would find someone that quick and settle down.
Now Dani working two jobs and being a painter and taking care of dem
Liz
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
In the Gamble Talen is your typical spoiled rich kid or so we are led to believe. The fact that he has applied to be a “big brother” shows that he isn’t satisfied with how his life is shaping up & he wants more. He works at the family pharmaceutical firm where he one day expects to take over from his obnoxious father. He’s shocked, however, when he is issued with an ultimatum – get married to appease the board members, who are concerned about his wild partying with his best friend Brandon, o ...more
Alice Ward is the bestselling author of dozens of hot and steamy contemporary romances. She’s an amazingly prolific writer, releasing a new book almost every single month. Her books are widely read, especially by women and any other lovers of the romance genre. My Stepbrother, My Lover, was her first smash hit.

*** Get a Free VIP Exclusive Alice Ward book here: authoraliceward.com/free-book ***

Ali