Start by marking “Critical Role – Vox Machina: Origins” as Want to Read:
Critical Role – Vox Machina: Origins

Critical Role – Vox Machina: Origins

(Vox Machina: Origins #1-6)

160 pages of origin story goodness, centered in coastal town of Stilben in Exandria. Both the standard edition includes the complete collection of Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins #1–#6, as well as bonus content including annotated cover process pieces, preliminary character sketches, and character descriptions and stats.
The standard edition features cover art by Stjepa
Published May 31st 2018 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Critical Role – Vox Machina, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Critical Role – Vox Machina: Origins
Sean Gibson
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I shame-facedly confess that I’m not as familiar with Critical Role as I would like to be, and I fully intend to remedy that in the coming year. Feel free to deliver any spankings, shin kicks, or wedgies you feel are warranted for my being a bad D&D nerd.

That said, this is a delightfully fun introduction to the CR characters. Sure, it’s a typical, RPG-inspired fantasy set-up: disparate, diverse, self-interested characters unite in common cause before deciding to band together on
Christy
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-four-stars
4 stars I

loved reading this. I can never have enough Critical Role. If you’re a fan of watching those nerdy ass voice actors play D&D every Thursday night like me, you’ll probably love this. I can’t wait to get more, and I really hope they bring one of these out for their current campaign, The Mighty Nein, as I’m more partial to that campaign and those characters! I enjoyed the art work and the storyline and would definitely recommend.
Demi
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This was fine, but I wonder how good it could have been if they’d hired an actual comic book writer. Or someone who knew anything at all about Vex’ahlia.
Robert
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine, if you will, "...a bunch of...nerdy-ass voice actors sit around and play Dungeons & Dragons." Live. On the internet. Every Thursday night. They call the show Critical Role and their group of disparate and sometimes desperate adventurers Vox Machina because they like bad puns. But those adventures took place in private for over a year before they were persuaded to go public by Queen of the Nerds, Felica Day herself. Implausibly, their ridiculously niche netcast becomes so popular tha ...more
Roy
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Just your standard d&d story with decent art and a balance of humour.
Isil Arican
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun storyline, nice drawings. Easy to read with pretty funny animated characters.
Kate
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, gn
I'm VERY BIASED and I LOVE CRITICAL ROLE and wow, Baby Vox Machina is so cute and I love them very much. 🥰
Dana Larose
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun -- Colville did a good job on the voices
Kathleen
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun little origin story, including the obligatory meet-cute-fight scenes, for the heroes who will one day save the world. Overall, the characters translated very well into a comic. I'm especially grateful that the artist went with the more androgynous face for the twins. They appear quite identical on the page, whereas some of the preliminary sketches have them looking like more traditionally masculine and feminine versions of the half elf archetype.

This is a very enjoyable comic book. Althou
Kit
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So neat to see how they got started! I hope there's more, as my favorite character isn't yet introduced. :)
Sam
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved reading this again. I adore these characters and this world, and I am so glad that Dark Horse has decided to pick the series up for another run.
Amy Rijk
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not the biggest fan of the art style, some of the designs feel too similar to really stand out from each other. Some of the panel layouts didn't really showcase the action as well as they could have. I think I personally would have liked something a bit more cartoon-ish, eventhough more realistic does fit the overall tone of Critical Role better.

Something about the story or the characters felt a bit off to me. I like how some of them don't exactly act like they always did on the show. To me
James Adams
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
As a long-time Critter, I was seriously looking forward to reading this (thanks, Comixology!), but it doesn't quite live up to the live campaigns.
Obviously, a lot of the charm of the stream is in the players, but it is also in the down-time; the bickering, the whoring, even the shopping (sorry, Travis). By focusing on the action, as many comics do, this loses some of the character. As such, our leads come off a bit flat.
This is still a good time, and the art rocks, but it is no subst
Amy
Beautiful art. New story but same wonderful characters, Vox Machina, that Critters know and love. I can hear the voices in the words on the page, which it is lovely to have that match their well established characters so nicely. Can't wait for more!!
Megan
THESE ABSOLUTE LOSERS WHO I LOVE SO MUCH
Melanie
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love everyone in this adventuring group!
Nicole
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Obviously, if you love Critical Role, you will love this comic. But, it is also a fun comic about these crazy fantasy characters who meet and form a team.

I truly love world expanding and it is really a joy to read more about this wonderful world of Tal-Dorei, created by the amazing DM of Critical Role himself, Matt Mercer. Still, Matthew Colville's influence took the story from a basic start-up D&D campaign into a wonderful origin story. These characters, while I know them so well already,
Shane
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was delighted by this book. I think Colville did a great job not only at capturing their voices but running them backwards to show what they would have been like before they'd all been traveling together for a year. I really hope they do more!
Marie
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
I miss these characters. This was lovely.
Caitlin Mininger
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having known and loved these characters from the middle of their story to the end, getting to see their beginnings as a group is a real treat. Vox Machina grew so much as people just on the show, and I think everyone involved with this project did a wonderful job showing who the team was when they were just kids starting out on a fun adventure.
DaniLanglie
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I really tried to like this comic more, but honestly we're probably more in the 2.5 stars category. I always feel a little strange reviewing comics or graphic novels because I haven't read very many of them in my life, and it's hard for me to know what to say about the craft and technique. But when I think of the other graphic novel I've read recently also based on a D&D game, I can safely say that The Adventure Zone did a much better job matching the tone and style of their podcast than the Cri ...more
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I would love to rate this higher because of course I adore Critical Role, but I was confused multiple times throughout this book by the panel design and dialogue. Frequently it seemed like a panel was missing, or the dialogue bubbles were out of order. Yes of course each panel interior is fluid, but there was one where the dialogue flow didn’t make sense at all and probably should’ve been split up to make it more understandable.

Motions were also hard to follow. I get that with magic and fight s
Bryan
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love the art however it was difficult to tell Vax from other characters at times.
Matt and Matt are amazing writers, I loved the overall plot but also the interaction between characters.
Axel J. Sparrow
i am a longtime DnD player/dungeon master, however i am not a Critical Role fan and this was essentially my first in-depth experience with Vox Machina. and.... it was kind of crap.

the art was generally nice but suffered heavily from sameface syndrome - and yes, that was to be expected with the twins. but when Keyleth starts to look like Vax starts to look like Scanlan starts to look like Vash starts to look like Vex starts to look like whatever those cleric/paladin characters were ca
Steve Stivaktis
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Got this as a treat for myself and have never regretted a purchase more. There's no excuse for this lack of professionalism in a project when it comes from Dark Horse Comics and Critical Role.

I got really annoyed at first with the use of random Greek characters to portray a "weird" language (it never stops looking idiotic and lazy as fuck, Greek is a language spoken and studied by millions of people, there are more people understanding that you're uninspired as hell than you care to
Shay Vande
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a huge fan of Critical Role, I've been waiting for this graphic novel for over a year now, and it did not disappoint. The art was gorgeous, the writing just right (considering everything they have to fit in a short book, especially translating a difficult medium of imagination into a comic), and there were many subtle references that I noticed and greatly enjoyed. Since Vox Machina's campaign started as a home game of Dungeons and Dragons, and didn't start getting broadcast live on twitch and ...more
Silvis Library
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sebastien
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american, comics
That was a pretty fun read if rather short. It was nice to read an official retelling of Vox Machina's origins. We had heard some parts of their Stilben adventures on the show over the years, but never the full thing.

I loved the artwork and the dialogue. They managed to capture the frenzied energy of the show in written form which must've been a daunting challenge. However, I felt that a comic book perharps wasn't the best medium for a story which is so dialogue heavy. There were oft
Anniken Haga
I am one of those people that have never watched Crit Role but know way too much about it because everyone in my circle watches it religiously. One of the reasons I don't watch it, is because I don't have the energy to, but also because it makes me really wanna play DnD, but I don't have the energy to do that much either. So when I heard there was coming a comic, there was no question I was gonna read it. They must be legend for a reason, right?

I am glad I know a bit of the world and characters
Jamie Revell
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This is a fun introduction to the characters of Critical Role, adapted from their earliest game sessions, before they began live-streaming and became an internet sensation. It manages to capture the fun and humour of the show, although the experience is naturally somewhat different - the fight scenes are much shorter, for example, and rightly so.

It's worth pointing out that, because this is the beginning of the story, Pike and Percy have yet to join the group, and Tiberius is still present. The latt
« previous 1 3 next »
OBAT ABORSI SINGKAWANG 085290945773 KLINIK ABORSI 1 1 Oct 25, 2019 09:12AM

• Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins II #2
  • Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins II #1
  • Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins II #3
  • The Chronicles of Exandria, Vol. I: The Tale of Vox Machina.
  • The Chronicles of Exandria: The Legend of Vox Machina Volume 2
  • Critical Role: Tal’Dorei Campaign Setting
  • The Adventure Zone: Murder on the Rockport Limited!
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part Three (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars #3)
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • The Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins
  • Rick and Morty vs. Dungeons & Dragons
  • Isola, Vol. 1
  • Heathen: Volume 2 (Heathen, #2)
  • Dragon Age: Magekiller
  • The Colossal Magic Nothing (Rat Queens, #5)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Volume 2

Vox Machina: Origins (6 books)
  • Critical Role – Vox Machina: Origins #1