Start by marking “The Fortunate Ones” as Want to Read:
The Fortunate Ones

The Fortunate Ones

At Twin Oaks Country Club, there are the fortunate ones, and then there are the rest of us: the waiters, the caddies, the valets, and in my case, the cabana girls. Most days, I’m poolside in a pleated skirt, dishing out margaritas to tycoons and titans. It’s not exactly my dream job, but it does come with one perk…

James Ashwood.

He’s my silver lining in a custom black suit.
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 336 pages
Published November 1st 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Fortunate Ones, please sign up.
Courtney ♡ librarycutie No, this is only told by the main female character. :)

Start your review of The Fortunate Ones
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

TW : Sexual assault (played down as romance, because of course)

Wow, thank YOU for making me reacquainted with rape culture on page, I've missed it so much!!!
- Says no one ever.

So, you'll have to excuse me if this review isn't exhaustive and if I don't mention everything that annoyed the fuck out of me, but somehow I had convinced myself to let the flaws go in the beginning. Let it go, Anna, enjoy your damn book, Anna. Isn't it what so many readers LOVE telling me (in bullet points, wouldn't be
Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog
*****FIVE STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Author}

I blink my eyes open to find him staring down at me with undisguised emotion—in fact, he’s looking at me as if I’m the most beautiful thing he’s ever seen, and it’s too much.

THE FORTUNATE ONES is going on my list of top favorites written by the talented R.S. Grey! Fans of this author are sure to fall hard for this story and for those of you who haven’t tried one of her books yet, I strongly recommend this one! There is a healthy dose of angs
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
4.5 stars!

Review and Excerpt at Of Pens and Pages.

R.S. Grey sure can write rom-com! The Fortunate Ones is the kind of story that creeps up on you and fully puts down its roots in your heart until you're sure it would stay there, and you don't even notice it until the deed is done. That's how I felt when I finished reading this book. The story is engaging, sexy, and hilarious, and I devoured this from start to finish.

Twin Oaks is an exclusive country club for the elite, the richest and most powe
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romcoms

➦Well, my review was due today. I was so sure I wouldn't be able to post it. But then I started reading the book last night and I completely DEVOURED it.

➦R.S. Grey just knows how to write a great romcom with enough steam and angst to keep you engrossed in it from cover to cover. I LOVED this hero. But then again, put a suit on it and I'll probably love it.

➦But let me tell ya, if you're into rich heroes who are NOT absolute douches, then you will love this guy. He is very reserved and respectful
Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog••
I absolutely adore this author and her stories!!
I’ve always throughly enjoyed her writing and her books always grip me with emotions.
Simply loved this sweet book. Hated the little break in-between but dang it I want more James & Brooke pretty pretty please.

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog
LIVE AMAZON https://www.amazon.com/Fortunate-Ones...

5 AMAZING Stars ❤

I devoured it. Such a fantastic story.It has everything I want in a story, slow burn,angst,passion,intensity and hot moments.I didn't want to end it, because it was so good.I cannot express how much I loved it.

description

Brooke and James rocked this story.I was so intrigued with both of them, I couldn't wait to see how things will end up for these two.Their chemistry is off the charts hot and I loved their relationship.Brooke is sassy and
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
While this was overall a really fun and sassy read, I couldn’t help but notice how controlling and physical the love interest was when he couldn’t get what he wanted. It rubbed me wrong and ultimately ended up affecting how much I enjoyed this :(

I will be reading more from RS Grey in the future though because I LOVED her book Anything You Can Do and I’m hoping this one was just a fluke.
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog

Audiobook Review at Of Pens and Pages.

Overall Rating: 4.5 stars
Story: 4.5 stars
Performance: 4.5 stars

The Fortunate Ones had R.S. Grey’s signature humor and fantastic banter, and while it feels familiar, it’s also more mature and a little bit angstier than her past works. It makes you laugh then punches you in the face with feels—happy and sad—before wrapping you up in love and sexual tension and the best happy feels a book can give.

Full book review here.

WOULD YOU LISTEN TO THE FORTUNATE ONE
Maria...
"2,5 Quite Disappointed Stars"

The only thing I liked about this book was James! And not always!

This book was so damn frustrating!!! I was in such a bad mood while reading it. You may ask why I kept reading it, I don't know to tell you the truth! No idea!

Ohh I know because I had enjoyed the books I have read from this author and I wanted to see where the hell this one was going... Nowhere! Same old shit during the whole book!

First of all WHY DIDN'T WE GET JAMES POV???? WHY???

Second of all, I did
MELISSA *Mel Reader*
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
4.5 Stars!

photo IMG_2257_zpsi0vl6f4m.jpg

Brooke Davenport is a gorgeous 25 yr. old woman living in Austin, Texas. She graduated from UT & majored in French & Spanish, and then spent a year traveling. She wants to work for a family & tutor abroad as an au pair, but until she lands her dream job, she still needs to pay rent. She comes from a wealthy family, but wants to make it on her own. While she looks for her ideal job, she makes ends meet at the Twin Oaks Country Club where she’s worked as a cabana girl for the past th
mara • (chaotic reader)
Nov 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Dear authors: stop passing off forced kisses as ‘romantic’ and ‘sexy.’ Instead try this for size - ‘ABUSE.’ It’s 2017, I’m tired of this shit.

How to identify said assault/abuse?

Pro-tip: if a kiss involves phrases like “I struggle against him” and the character has to “try to shove him off” AND - I can’t believe this - “I know I won’t be able to outmaneuver him, so I resist in a simpler fashion by holding completely still” then that is abuse.
Sabrina
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crazy-rich
Get it here:
Amazon US * Amazon UK

3.5 Stars

I enjoyed the majority of this book and I really liked both characters. The only problem I had was the drawn out ending. I'm just not a fan of those kinds of slow-to-happen endings and they always leave me wondering if the characters will actually stay together. It didn't help that this is a story only told from the heroine's POV so I never got to see what James was doing while he and Brooke were apart. But, like I said, I did enjoy this overall story a
Dali
When Austin’s most eligible bachelor, James Ashwood, saunters into her life, Brooke Davenport is struggling to find the job of her dreams that will allow her to do what she studied for and fulfill her wanderlust as opposed to being tied to a job she hates serving snooty club members. But James has a five year plan of his own. Can this ill-suited couple overcome their age gap and find a way for their different life paths to intersect in order to find their happy ever after?

R.S. Grey writes a
Rejane
I’m in shock. Reading the excerpts in this review made my stomach turn.
Let’s call it what it is: abuse and assault.
Horrible

Some reviewers also said they spent little time together (about 10%), didn’t talk much and acted very immature for their ages (male:36, female:25- acting like teenagers).
Indecisive, wishy washy female, asshole male. And just one pov; the female mc. I'd rather not read a book with just one pov. It feels like incomplete story, unfini
Diana
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this one, despite me yelling at my kindle, apparently loud enough to interrupt my husband watching the news (why would you even want to watch the news anyway!!)

Brooke is a 25 years old, and is currently working at a country club as a cabana girl. She is waiting to land her dream job and hopes to travel the world. What she did not plan on was to fall for James Ashwood, a rich tech mogul who is drop dead gorgeous and has taken an interest in Brooke. Their chemistry is hot from the
Jacqueline's Reads
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ku
3 It was okay stars

This is my first R.S. Grey book. I should have done some research prior to reading and gotten one with higher ratings, because the ratings on this one is true.

The Fortune Ones isn’t a bad book, it just had elements that didn’t get properly executed.

The first 75% of the book was a decent 4 stars, but the last 25% of the book was (and I hate to say it) was pure rubbish. I skimmed mostly the boring parts and only read the interaction between the two main characters.

I picked up t
Jayme
This is my seventh book by the author and I can admit that I am a big fan. Her books are just like her. Sweet, funny and most charming. They have a lot of warmth and entertainment. I really love it, and it was no different with this book. Or even better, because it’s a pretty good rollercoaster.

***
ARC kindly provided for an honest review. Thank you!

Jessica
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been a huge fan of RS Grey for over two years now and have read a countless number of her books. I'm shocked to say that The Fortunate Ones is unlike anything Rachel has ever written and a new favorite of mine by her!

Brooke Davenport's five year plan includes traveling the world and tutoring students in the variety of languages she's fluent in. It doesn't include working as a cabana girl at Twin Oaks Country Club. With the way things are currently going for her, though, that's exactly wh
Hanne
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Brooke works at a country club. She doesn’t like working there and she hopes to be a tutor again soon. James is a member of the country club where Brooke works. Every woman at the country club talks about James and they all want him. Brooke is attracted to James, but she wants to travel and see the world more than to be in a relationship. James and Brooke keep running into each other and they love to spend time together.

On the one hand I liked Brooke and James, but on the other hand I got frust
Catarina
3,5 Fortunate Stars

James Ashwood is the country’s club millionaire that everyone’s talk about it, Brooke is the person that interests him.
That interest soon peaks into something else but everything from their different lives, age difference and Brook’s restlessness don’t make things easier from them. And when things start to get more serious than they expected, can Brook goes at James speed?

description

If you usually read R. S. Grey this book may surprise you. It’s definitely more on the angsty contempora
Corina
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-gap
What a complex and emotional story.

What I enjoyed most about this story was the fact that I could see myself in Brooke. The desire to see the world, to live, to get out of town and experience different cultures filled with wonders and unique sights.

Lucky me I had nothing to hold me back.

Brooke on the other hand fell in love with a guy that had very different ideas and goals for his immediate future. James 11 years older, already experienced all of what Brooke was still dreaming about. He accompl
Jo - •.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•
Brooke has dreams of travelling the world and working as an au pair after graduating from college with fluent French and Spenish. She is trying to secure a new job but in the meantime she is working at the Twin Oaks Country Club as a cabana girl serving the ‘fortunate ones’ – self entitled, privileged people of Austin.

Spending her days running around after snobby bitches and their spoilt kids, being leared at by old balding men and propositioned by young hot shots is not how she envisioned her j
Ana Buenrostro
Nov 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
What the fuck did I just read?!!!

Hmmm I am so blown away by all the 4 and 5 stars this book has. I have read almost all of her other books and I really like them. So I dont know if this is her exception.

These two characters have zero chemistry, zero love, it was sooo stupid and immature. So someone drugs her on their first date and they crashed on their second?!!! Hmmm WTF!!! Also, sooooo wordy and very descriptive and not in a good way.

Most importantly why is he kissing her against her will? J
Vilma
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Review to come!
Ashley
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
View this review and many others on: 5171 Miles Book Blog.

Thanks to R.S. Grey for allowing me to be one of The Fortunate Ones who was able to read this book in advance. I’m bowing down to the master of Rom-Com!

When my favorite Texan Indie author is going to release a new novel, you better believe I’m all kinds of fidgety and jittery until I have a copy in my hands. Her novels always come at the right time, after I’ve been in a reading slump of epic proportions and am dying to read something ligh
Eliza
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, oct-2017

★4.5 STARS★

The Fortunate Ones are the affluent who look to Twin Oaks Country Club as their personal playground. They flaunt their wealth and excess, and in a world where money reigns supreme, it’s Brooke Davenport’s job as cabana girl to meet all requests with a smile. Pampering over inflated egos is tough work when you’re as snarky as she is, but the upside is it pays the bills as she searches for her perfect position as an Au Pair.

The glimmer of joy she gets from her role comes in the f
Shayna
What a sexy, hilarious, and just all around BRILLIANT romance! RS Grey blows me away with every new release! It’s like she knows exactly what I need at that point in time. Everything from the writing, to the flow, to the character development, was just PERFECTION! If you’re a fan of a slow burn romances, then THE FORTUNATE ONES is right up your alley. Set aside a full night for this read, because you are NOT going to want to put it down for even a second!

This was a slow building romance with bri
Lacey (laceybooklovers)
I've been waiting for another 5 star book from R.S. Grey ever since her Summer Games series, and THIS IS IT!!! I can't even explain how much I simply loved The Fortunate Ones. I'm blown away by the heart and humor that's in this book. It's the perfect slow burn romance that I couldn't put down.

Full review to come!

Thanks to the author for generously providing me an ARC to review.
Amanda Brown
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
description

If there is one book you read by the end of the year, make it this one. RS Grey is a freaking goddess. I just love her writing so much - it is hilarious and awkward and witty and makes me feel like I am reading about my own life - the awkward and witty parts anyway, working on the falling in love with a sexy and rich stranger ;)
˗ˏˋ n o v i  ˎˊ˗
11/1/17 I FINISHED IT IN A DAY BECAUSE IT WAS SO GOOD !! & now Im kinda sad that I did read it this fast ARGH! (Ill post more thoughts later)

10/9/17 THAT COVER I LOVE IT ! IT MATCHES SO WELL WITH THE OTHERS 😍

9/7/17 I'M SO EXCITED FOR THISSS, I LITERALLY LOVE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HER BOOKS SOO MUCH !

Turning Pages At ...: The Fortunate Ones by R. S. Grey 24 19 Dec 25, 2017 06:57AM

• A Billion Times No (Fake It Till You Make It #1)
  • The Billionaire Boss Next Door (Billionaire Collection, #1)
  • The Invitation
  • Happily Letter After
  • (Not) The Boss of Me
  • Dr. OB (St. Luke's Docuseries, #1)
  • All His Secrets (Manhattan Misters, #1)
  • The Rivals
  • Not My Match (The Game Changers, #2)
  • The Devil Wears Black
  • The Break-Up Bet
  • Tapping the Billionaire (Billionaire Bad Boys, #1)
  • Hands Down
  • Not My Romeo (The Game Changers, #1)
  • My Brother's Billionaire Best Friend
  • Marriage for One
  • Taming Hollywood's Baddest Boy (Hollywood, #1)
  • All Rhodes Lead Here
See top shelves…
R.S. Grey is the USA Today bestselling author of fourteen novels, including THE FORTUNATE ONES. She loves books, chocolate, reality TV, and cold weather. She lives in Texas with her husband, daughter, and two dogs. Visit her at rsgrey.com.

Instagram: @AuthorRSGrey

Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/RSGrey/

Facebook:

News & Interviews

“I come to the conclusion that there are no mistakes in life, just decisions.” 4 likes
“When I don’t want a man, I don’t think of him at all.” 0 likes