Start by marking “Chasing Nirvana” as Want to Read:
Chasing Nirvana

Chasing Nirvana

A girl, a band and a dream. And another girl.

Fran Worth is just another girl trying to make it through senior year in Aberdeen, Washington. But it's 1993 and Fran is gay. Her comfortably off the radar life turns vividly public when a student nominates Fran for prom queen. When confronted by angry parents Fran refuses to back down, promising to deliver her hometown heroes
Published October 16th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Nirvana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Nirvana

Start your review of Chasing Nirvana
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
What first had me drawn to this book was the synopsis, the 90s setting and of course Nirvana🙂but what I didn't realize was how much more would be to this book. This book was one of a kind that put me through a whirlwind of emotions! Sometimes I wanted to cry, others I laughed and best of all this book made me smile. This story captivated from the first few pages and I could relate to both of the main characters. High school is tough and what happens behind closed doors at home can make it that m ...more
chloe yeung ♡
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This is such a beautiful story. I don't know how to write a review of this.

*deep breaths
*massages forehead
*takes huge gulp of water

I think I'm ready now.

I finished reading this book last night (or should I say morning, because it was 1 AM). And guess what, I still remember everything about it. Surprise!

I'm the kind of person who forgets everything almost immediately after finishing a boo
Brooke Banks
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm always on the lookout for more books that feature characters with low-income households because I don't know a single person who isn't. So when I read Chasing Nirvana's blurb with this and a MC is into girls, and it's set in the 90s? Could. Not. Resist.

FYI: Bigotry, Slurs, Hate Crimes, Rape threats and attempt, Japanese stereotypes, brief mentions of the song "Rape Me".

Aberdeen reminds me SO MUCH of where I grew up in Michigan with closed mills and factories.  With Fr

Darque  Dreamer
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-reads
"For a moment we're all rock stars, singing along, chasing love and adventure and most of all, chasing Nirvana."
Chasing Nirvana is fast paced and engaging! It is spectacularly edgy and full of wild twists and turns! For anyone who has never quite fit in, this one will touch your soul!

Oh man, did I love this one! It was gritty and emotional with a true 90's feel! It was gripping and thought provoking, and definitely surprising!

The plot was so rich and satisfying! The idea of the road trip to a N
Jeannie
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a really beautiful story. Written in the timeframe of the 90's. It deals with real life, gritty issues with grace. I liked that it was based on real life band Nirvana. Loved the lyrics to the songs also. Once I started reading this it was difficult to put it down. The characters were quirky with a few being down right strange. Strange but totally interesting.
Amanda
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked Fran at first, but as the story progressed, she became less confident and more wanting to just disappear...but she still wanted to be with this girl named Allison. Oh! I need to add this trope to my least favorite list.

"Single mothers who let their douche bag boyfriends move into the house and allow said douche bag boyfriends to completely take over parenting."

I know this story takes place in 1993, but seriously?! The douche boyfriend wants to send Fran to a Teen Life held at a church -
Linda Epach
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won, ya
"Chasing Nirvana" by Ellyn Oaksmith is a fun quick read. It is a little dated (no cell phones, social media and a Kurt Cobain that is alive and a current band named Nirvana) but still something that I think many students (and us oldies out there that remember Nirvana and a less tech time) can relate to the idea of wanting to be accepted, the intolerance that unfortunately is still out there, parental and peer pressure, dysfunctional families, and the love of music and a favorite band. The book m ...more
Joy
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bullying at school is always a sad story. It a shame on the parents who teach there kids how to hate. The girl in this story rises above being hated for being different. But in real life not everyone does.
Lynne Hancock Pearson
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Being a gawky teenager isn't easy. Being a gawky gay teenager in Aberdeen Washington in the early 90s is painful. Fran rises above and learns that she has more friends then she thinks she does. Her world opens up and her future is much brighter than she ever thought it would be.
Elysa
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, feel-good book

I enjoyed this story immensely. It's a funny road-trip story, a coming-of-age story, and a tale of growing up gay all in one. It's absolutely delightful.
Tatra
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book. The characters weren’t too stupid with all of their crushes and it was a pretty cool adventure.
Jean Baxter
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an interesting story, but I feel like it was twice as long as it needed to be. I got bogged down in a few places with details that didn't really matter.

alyssa
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
Okay so let's get right into it!

Pros:
Set in the 90's!!
Gay main character!!
2 characters of color!!
Remembered some old Nirvana songs I hadn't listened to in a while

Now here are the cons:
The Asian characters were often fetishized especially by the character Nikki
Dwayne was often racist and was never called out for it
'Freaking' and 'like' were so overused it was not realistic that teenagers would say it as often as Nikki did.

Also the writing was not very good. I felt as if each character's drama
Sam
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can honestly say that this is my first venture into reading a LBGTQ book. I was pleasantly surprised by it. It's about bullying, finding new true friends and finding yourself in a difficult high school setting.
Annie

• The Dangerous Art of Blending In
  • This Winter
  • The Wish List of Albie Young
  • The Girl in the Lake
  • T is for Trespass (Kinsey Millhone, #20)
  • U is for Undertow (Kinsey Millhone, #21)
  • The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek
  • Emerald Star (Hetty Feather, #3)
  • The Summer I Wasn't Me
  • Solitaire
  • I Was Born for This
  • Nick and Charlie
  • High School
  • Sapphire Battersea (Hetty Feather, #2)
Ellyn Oaksmith is the USA Today and Kindle bestselling author of Mr. Montana, Chasing Nirvana, 50 Acts of Kindness, Stripping Down and Knockers.

After winning a graduate fellowship at the American Film Institute in screenwriting, Ellyn worked as a screenwriter in Hollywood, learning to rewrite, pitch movies and navigate the Los Angeles freeways before Google Maps. Meeting movie stars was a fun perk