Start by marking “Das Original” as Want to Read:
Das Original

Das Original

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  75,155 ratings  ·  7,357 reviews
In einer spektakulären Aktion werden die handgeschriebenen Manuskripte von F. Scott Fitzgerald aus der Bibliothek der Universität Princeton gestohlen. Eine Beute von unschätzbarem Wert. Das FBI übernimmt die Ermittlungen, und binnen weniger Tage kommt es zu ersten Festnahmen. Ein Täter aber bleibt wie vom Erdboden verschluckt und mit ihm die wertvollen Schriften. Doch ...more
Published August 21st 2017 by Heyne (first published June 6th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Das Original, please sign up.
Wil A. Emerson You are not alone..i loved the opening..thought it had all the necessary intrigue..then Mercer came into view...tumbling off the Harlequin book shelf.…moreYou are not alone..i loved the opening..thought it had all the necessary intrigue..then Mercer came into view...tumbling off the Harlequin book shelf. Who wrote this for Grisham? And what a sloppy ending...(less)
Jean A Reahm Fast read. Finished it today. Enjoyed every word.

·  75,155 ratings  ·  7,357 reviews

Start your review of Das Original
Tom LA
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Matt
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Back with another new novel, John Grisham seeks to expand his horizons with a story free of much legalese, but with the slightest hint of some criminal activity. A heist at one of Princeton's libraries puts a number of original F. Scott Fitzgerald's manuscripts in the hands of some career criminals. Quick-acting FBI agents are able to scoop up two of the five, but the others are still in hiding, along with the manuscripts. When one is rumoured to have surfaced at a small book shop on Camino ...more
Linda
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Your secrets are safe. I can't think of a soul I would want to tell."

And these secrets are within a crime. A jumbo, over-the-top, kick in the door of modern literature, and pull down the shades type of heist. Dollar signs that even have dollar signs.

When a group of well-rehearsed thieves make their way into the tombs of Princeton's lower vaulted depths, they come away with a golden grail in the form of original hand-written manuscripts of F. Scott Fitzgerald. Miraculously, they stage enough
Matthew
I enjoyed this more than some other recent John Grisham novels I have read. Many parts of it were 3 stars and many parts were 4 stars. I will compromise at 3.5 stars (but round up to 4 on the official scale – since I have been so harsh on Grisham lately!)

The main appeal of this book is that books are central to the theme. Hardcore readers – which most of you probably are – will appreciate the discussion of bookstore business/politics, book values, first edition collecting, and book heists. All
Diane
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun summer read!

I haven't read a John Grisham book since the 90s, but I picked up Camino Island after seeing a positive review. I was intrigued because the story is a departure from Grisham's usual legal thrillers. The plot is that priceless manuscripts by F. Scott Fitzgerald were stolen from a Princeton library, and the hunt is on to catch the thieves and save the papers.

The novel starts off with a thrill as we watch the gang of thieves go about the heist. (As a librarian and also as
j e w e l s
I know it's been a few (several?) years since I read Grisham, but, my gosh, he has changed! Often accused of cranking out legal thrillers and following a specific formula, maybe he wanted to depart to a simpler, softer, more feminine style. If that was his intention, he succeeded!

I found the subject matter very entertaining, otherwise I probably would not have finished it. The "mystery" not much of a mystery at all revolves around some stolen manuscripts that are worth millions in the literary
Teresa
Jun 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got like 140 pages in and did a lot of eye rolling, skipped ahead to read the ending and then rolled my eyes one last time and moved on.
Scott
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every time I read a book by John Grisham, I am consistently reminded of what a great storyteller he is. His style is compact, direct and to the point, and pulls you in immediately. I wasn’t 10 pages into his new book “Camino Island” and I knew that I would be spending most of the day focused on reading it. The good news is that it was worth it.

Rather than focusing on lawyers, it takes aim at the world of bookstores, publishing, and writers. It begins with a skillful heist of five John F.
Tim
Jul 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seldom has such a good premise and beginning of a novel fallen as far and as fast as this. The story languishes with not one, but two inept agencies looking for perpetrators, despite apprehending some immediately. The weak and incomplete ending finishes this bottomless piece. 0 of 10 stars
Joe Kellett
This isn't a "John Grisham book", it's a bit of froth. It's starts off well with The Heist (that's not a spoiler it's the title of the first chapter). Then it descends into aimless meanderings among the colony of authors on the island. Almost zero suspense. Absolutely zero "thrills". The ending was phoned in.

If you want an extremely gentle ride through the soporific world of book authors then it will be good I suppose. Otherwise grab a different Grisham book (I'm a huge fan by the way).

To be
Paula
Camino Island was a disappointment. This is really just a beach read. Not much substance. I really didn’t care for the audiobook. The narrator had an uninteresting voice and I didn’t like her style. Maybe the book was better to read rather than listening to? I continued on as it was only 7 cds.

I’m giving up on Grisham. As everyone on Goodreads, my TBR list is extensive and there are many higher caliber books to get going on.

3 out of 5 stars.
Tim
Jun 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Monnie
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could change the title, I think I'd rename it Anatomy of a Heist. The writing is very matter-of-fact - nothing very thrilling or exciting - that begins with the theft of five one-of-a-kind F. Scott Fitzgerald manuscripts from the bowels of the Princeton University Firestone Library. From there, it follows the day-to-day (often minute-by-minute) lives of the thieves and those who want to find them and bring the manuscripts back to their rightful home. It's divided into sections, each of ...more
James
Jun 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Allow the author to help with this review. Starting on page 237 to 238, one of his cardboard cutout characters, gives advice on how to right a good book/bestseller:

"I'll give any book a hundred pages, and if by then the writer can't hold my attention i'll put it away. There are too many good books I want to read to waste time with a bad one."

Geez. Should've taken this advice.

What a boring, uneventful, tritely written .... well, what? Yeah. What was this? A thriller? A veiled hat tip to Grisham's
William McLoughlin
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
1. Grisham is one of my favorite authors.
2. I have read all 37 of his previous works listed in the front of this novel.
3. Every one of them has been a good story; many were great.
4. His characters, stories, and writing pull you right in and along.
5. I have hardcover copies of all of his works.
6. I usually purchase them the first day they go on sale.
7. I often read them in one sitting.
8. I read this one in one sitting and enjoyed it very much.
Jim
While this was a much better book than Grisham's recent efforts (e.g. "Rogue Lawyer") it still is not at the same level as his earlier books (e.g. "A Time To Kill", "The Chamber"). In some ways this reminded me of "Gray Mountain". A female lead who is suddenly out of a job and finds herself in changed circumstances. This is not a thriller or page turner. This is not about race or the death penalty or any other theme to make you stop and think. This would make a nice beach read.

The story opens
John
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't read alto of John Grisham, legal thrillers are not really my thing. But, this is more of a crime novel. It makes me realize, I may be missing out, Mr. Grisham is a great writer. I've seen the movies, but his books have eluded me.

I loved everything about this story! It provided a look into a world I enjoy visiting, but know little about. This is a tale about book stores, books, and trafficking of stolen tomes and manuscripts. It's gripping, engaging, and quite entertaining.

Grab a
Brian
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

“All trails become dead ends.”

“Camino Island” is the first John Grisham I have read in a long while. With its focus on rare books, valuable manuscripts, cool bookstores, and expensive first editions of famous texts, this novel is a beach read for book lovers. If you don’t try to force it to be more than that you will enjoy it. If you try to make this text be more than it is capable of being, you will roll your eyes a lot. And that is your own fault.
Grisham gives his story a sexy rogue of a
Kasa Cotugno
As close to chicklit as Grisham could get (accomplished woman in dire straits is only person in the world who can help the FBI nail their man). But the writing is trademark crisp, and who wouldn't love a story where the mcguffin is the original manuscript for The Great Gatsby.
☮Karen
In one of my book groups just now many of us have been feeling a bit in a book reading rut or slump lately, me included. I've had trouble focusing on books, but audiobooks usually keep me going. At all times I am reading an audiobook, a regular book, and an ebook. I know I said audiobooks have kept me in the groove, but John Grisham and Camino Island went above and beyond here. (And the other two books I'm reading right now appear to be above par for me as well, so hopefully, slump over -- ?!?! ...more
Tooter
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. It's been a long time since I've read John Grisham because the books all started to sound the same. However, I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
James Thane
When a gang of clever thieves breaks into a vault deep in the bowels of the Firestone Library at Princeton University, the prize is five original manuscripts from the novels of F. Scott Fitzgerald, including The Great Gatsby. The collection is priceless, and the problem, of course, is how to safely dispose of it while making a fortune in the process.

Naturally, Princeton would very much like to have the manuscripts back, and the initial F.B.I. investigation into the thefts yields some results but
Kristy
Princeton University houses five valuable manuscripts--all the originals of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novels. They are housed in the basement under a veil of security, but not enough to stop a band of clever thieves from breaking in and stealing them. This sets loose a chain of events and angers both the FBI, who is trying to track down the criminals, and the insurance company, as they are on the hook for $25 million unless the manuscripts are returned. Meanwhile, on touristy Camino Island, Bruce ...more
Michael Slavin
Book starts off great with a robbery of the Fitzgerald original manuscripts from Princeton, a very good action sequence. Then to me the story slowed down for a short while when it was setting up the rest of the book. But then it got very comfortable with a cozy pace in an environment of a group of authors in small seaside community and their local bookstore with the colorful owners who love authors.

I so enjoyed their meetings, their suppers, and their conversation, I couldn't wait to get back
J. Rich
A disappointment. I usually love Grisham's stuff, although I haven't read anything of his in awhile. Maybe this is typical of his later works.

The setting was interesting, and some of the details about rare book collecting were informative. However, the characters were flat, the plot weak, and the suspense almost nonexistent. The POV wavered, which was annoying. All telling, no showing.
Gayathri
Read the full review at Elgee Writes

A five member gang pulls a heist at the Princeton’s Firestone library and takes off with the F. Scott Fitzgerald’s original manuscripts. The FBI successfully nabs two of the five men and the others rush into hiding with their loot.

When they hear the manuscripts are about to turn up at the Camino Island, an (imaginary) island near Florida (I looked up) they send in Mercer Mann as an undercover agent to spy on their prime suspect Bruce Cable. Mercer is a
Jenny (Reading Envy)
This is the first book I've been sent of the Litsy #whodunitbymail book swap. I feel like prior to my review I should say that I read very little mystery and crime, and joined the book swap to get exposed to more.

I associate John Grisham pretty exclusively with courtroom drama, particularly those made into films. When a good friend in college was taking advanced acting, I heard a certain monologue from A Time to Kill more times than I care to admit. And I'm not sure if I've ever sat and read a
♥ Sandi ❣
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♥ Sandi ❣ by: Dah! ~ It's John Grisham
4 stars

There is not a lot that I can say about John Grisham that I have not already said in other reviews. He is one of my favorite authors. I especially like his attorney/crime novels, however this particular book is not status quo. This book does contain a crime - but no court room and the criminals, prisoners and attorneys are mentioned briefly. I am not a fan of most of Grisham's non-legal novels, however I did enjoy this one.
It seems that crime does sometimes pay. The theft of some
Suzanne
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*

This isn’t like a lot of Grisham’s other books but it was still enjoyable in my opinion. I loved the plot centering on the heist of first edition manuscripts by Fitzgerald. I believe a lot of readers will like the literary history but if you’re looking for the Grisham legal thriller then you might want to look further. This is more adult fiction than legal thriller.

My quick and simple overall: entertaining and a change from the legal thrillers. Grisham is the type of author who has the
Marialyce
This was a quick, easy read and quite typical of the recent Grisham novels. This time Mr Grisham tackles the theft of the F. Scott Fitzgerald manuscripts from the Firestone Library at Princeton University. It pits the FBI, the insurance company, and others against the thieves and the book dealer who winds up with the stolen manuscripts. Good fun is achieved as we read of the interplay between a very clever book dealer, his wife, authors, and other residents of Camino Island where the bulk of the ...more
Fourth Thursday B...: This topic has been closed to new comments. January 24, 2019 book 4 12 Jan 24, 2019 09:12AM
Red herring? 9 159 Sep 20, 2018 12:39AM
Goodreads Librari...: Correction 1 15 Sep 16, 2018 01:26PM
Vampires, Weres a...: Camino Island 16 20 Aug 26, 2018 02:37PM
Play Book Tag: Camino Island by John Grisham - 3 stars 1 24 Sep 17, 2017 10:51AM

• The Late Show (Renée Ballard, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #29)
  • The Fix (Amos Decker, #3)
  • The Fallen (Amos Decker, #4)
  • Two Kinds of Truth (Harry Bosch, #20; Harry Bosch Universe, #30)
  • End Game (Will Robie, #5)
  • The Cuban Affair
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • The President Is Missing
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • The Midnight Line (Jack Reacher, #22)
  • Dark Sacred Night (Harry Bosch, #21; Renée Ballard, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #31)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Testimony (Kindle County Legal Thriller #10)
  • Y is for Yesterday (Kinsey Millhone, #25)
  • One Good Deed
  • Deep Freeze (Virgil Flowers, #10)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Past Tense (Jack Reacher, #23)
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of
“I’ve never understood people who grind through a book they don’t really like, determined to finish it for some unknown reason.” 5 likes
“Do you read them? Faulkner, Hemingway, Fitzgerald?"
"Only if I have to. I try to avoid old dead white men.”
3 likes