Start by marking “The Secrets You Keep” as Want to Read:
The Secrets You Keep

Read Book* *Different edition

The Secrets You Keep

What would you do if you realized that your new husband, a man you adore, is keeping secrets from you--secrets with terrifying consequences?

Bryn Harper, an accomplished self-help author, already has plenty to deal with. She's still recovering from a devastating car accident that has left her haunted by recurring, smoke-filled nightmares. Worse still, she can't shake the om
Published September 11th 2017 by Canelo (first published March 21st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets You Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets You Keep

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXTRACT: 'I wake to the smell of smoke.
It's faint, but enough to rouse me, and I jerk up in bed, eyes wide open. For a few seconds, I freeze there, propped on an elbow and trying to make sense of it. What's burning?
I start to shove my legs out of bed, but the top sheet fights me. I have to wrench it loose from the mattress so I can force my feet to the ground.
As my eyes adjust to the dark, I realize that I 'm not at home. I 'm in a hotel room. I 've been traveling on business. ..yet I can't re
Kendall
Apr 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 30%. I tried my best... but the main character Bryn wow she got on my nerves. I caught myself rolling me eyes already 10-15 times in the first 20 pages. I just couldn't do it and I payed 9.99 for this damn it!!! Reminded me of the Breakdown and same storyline (wife is paranoid because her husband is hiding something). I just realized that I definitely can't read these types of books anymore where the sole focus is paranoia.
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

An automobile accident, a book that can't seem to get written, a new home, a murder, and unsettling questions Bryn had about her new husband.

Bryn was recovering from an accident with the total support from her husband starting to wane after three months. Was he tired of her fragility? Was he doing things behind her back? What else didn't she know about her new husband's current and past life?

All of this uncertainty also caused Bryn to not be able to focus on the new book she was to be writing.
♛ Garima ♛
This was not what I expected.

What I expected was fast-packed, action filled drama thriller.

And what I got -

May be I read this wrong - because author doesn't spend anytime a murder mystery. A chef murdered brutally and author goes like - who cares?
[image error]

Let me just chase my husband because you know what! he is betraying me and I'm going to question his loyalty, and while I'm doing that - let's make some iced tea because who doesn't like it? and let me check my emails thousand times - an
Erin
Boring.

Nothing happens in this book. I kept waiting for the action to pick but it didn't. Even after a character is murdered with an ax I was still bored. By the midway mark I didn't even care who the murderer was. Also the ending was rushed and made no sense at all.

No rec.
CD {Boulder Blvd}
2.5 to 3.0 Stars

This book had a lot of potential, but for me it just didn't make it. When I first put this book on my TBR it had mainly 4 and 5 star reviews and it sounded really good. I'm not sure if I would choose it over other books based on it's reviews now. It was a fast read - started it last night and finished it this morning. I did do a little skimming as there were a number of places where the book dragged and I skimmed to keep the story moving along.

When a book is in 1st POV, the narra
ABookwormWithWine
I definitely didn't have an issue getting into or finishing this book, but it wasn't amazing either. It was a solid 3 ⭐, probably a 3.5 if we were allowed half stars. I didn't expect the ending either although it sounds like a lot of other people were able to see it coming (shocker). I did think the book was a bit too wordy and rambling at times, and probably could have been more like a 250 page book as opposed to 353. Overall a good book though.

Random thought: I have never seen "clapboard house
4.5/5 stars

The Secrets You Keep is a standalone psychological thriller/mystery. It is my first book by this author.

I really enjoyed this book. But I am so happy that I did not read the book blurb right before starting this book. While it doesn't give away most of the amazing twists, IMO it gives away a lot of key plot points that were amazing to uncover by reading the book. I actually don't think that I would have enjoyed this book as much if I had known so much of the plot in advance.

The things
i.
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my first book by Kate White and it will certainly not be the last one. I read it while having breakfast and then again while having lunch and then again before falling asleep, it's difficult to put it down!. It's as difficult as guessing who did IT, because all the characters seem guilty in one way or another.

The fact that the main character is a clueless self-help book writer, IMO adds some kind of weird sense of humour to the plot. But if you think about what may prevent an educate
Patricia Doyle
May 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness. This book is so B-O-R-I-N-G and S-T-U-P-I-D that it makes my top five list of worst books ever.

I read the first sixty pages, found nothing happening, speed read the next sixty pages, then went to the beginning pages of each chapter – still same stuff going on – and finally went to the end of the book to see how it ended.

SPOILER ALERT:

Bryn doesn’t like Eve; Bryn does like Derek (not her husband); Someone stole money ($160) from Bryn’s office; Bryn accuses Eve; Eve gets murdered; B
Kayleah
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I liked and enjoyed this book. It entertained me, although, it didn't captivate me.

The Secrets You Keep is about an author who is recovering from a recent car accident. She has just moved in with her husband full-time, as they were previously a commuting couple. The brutal murder of a local woman coupled with odd things that keep piling up send our self-help author into a state of self-doubt and paranoia. Are her concerns valid? Is she safe?

I did notice that the author went out of he
Mandy White
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
This book really surprised me.. it is fast paced tangled web of lies! really enjoyed it and look forward to more by this author. Thank you to Netgalley and Canelo for a copy of this book to read and review.
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
I am a complete sucker for a domestic thriller; I love the way they suck me in. I love the way they string me along. I love the way they play with my head. The Secrets You Keep by Kate White was no exception to these feelings. Fast-paced and fun, this one had my absolute attention

The novel opens with Bryn Harper moving into cottage country with her husband, still reeling from an accident. She begins to adjust to her new life. But, after a dinner party goes terribly wrong, leaving a woman dead a
Stephanie
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, arc, november
BOR-ING. The book suffers from too much: too many pages, too much exposition, too many red herrings, too many times returning to the same thing; it also suffers from too little -- too little focus on the elements that could make it truly interesting, and too little sense on the part of the main character, Bryn. This psychological thriller could have been much better, if the author had focused on just one of the stumbling blocks for Bryn: surviving a significant car crash, where the driver died; ...more
Jaynez
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty entertaining read, but, my oh my, so poorly edited. At first it was just some grammatical errors and messy sentences. Then on page 103 one of the characters fretted about her unfounded fear of the cops opening her car trunk and finding "bags of heroine" inside. I almost quit reading then but I finished it, even after reading on page 187, "...took the cash and left the money." It was supposed to say left the matches, which was one of the cruxes (feeble as it was) that the myster ...more
Trisha
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this on as an audio book. The story kept me wanting to know more and wanting to know what was going on. I thought the added mystery of her dreams and what happened during the accident was a good underlying story and one that I also was glad to know the conclusion to.
Even if some parts were obvious, I thought there were enough red herrings to keep one guessing.
I enjoyed it
Jo
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I fall asleep at work today, it is all your fault, Kate White. I could not put this book down. I read until the wee hours of the morning when I finished it. I am happy to see that she has written plenty of other books that I can indulge myself in.
Ashley Murphy
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
UGH. So hokie and contrived. It felt like the author was trying too hard to make the main character seem like a cooler chick than she was. 2 stars instead of 1 because the mystery element was interesting. The ending though? UGH.
Carol (Bookaria)
3.5

A short mystery/thriller with more potential than the one explored. It started with the nightmares of the main character and I would have loved to have seen the author develop these dreams more. At the end, it was wrapped up nicely and all the questions I had were answered. I enjoyed it.
Nicki
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blog Tour Review

Months after being involved in a car crash,Bryn Harper is physically healed but she has no memory of the accident and is plagued by bad dreams.

After Bryn and her husband Guy,host a dinner party Bryn swears that some money has gone missing and confronts the caterer that night.The next day Bryn is horrified when she discovers the woman's brutally slain body.

After another murder occurs,Bryn realises that the danger is getting ever closer to home and that Guy has been keeping things
Lost Mermaid
Started out as a strong 4 stars however as good as the reader was there were certain words that were pronounced as though she had a really really bad case of constipation. Words including “murder” and “murderer” that became beyond annoying. That brought it down to 3 1/2 stars.

What brought it down to 3 in my opinion was the ending. I listened on audio and listened to the last 3 tracks 5 times and if someone could please explain to me why Paul drove the car over I’d love to hear it. I still don’t
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
I am just getting around to writing my review for The Secrets You Keep by Kate White, which I would give a solid 3/3.5 stars. Kate White is kind of my go-to author when I'm in a reading slump, because her books are fantastic, quick-reads, and they always pull me in when I have trouble focusing on other books.

The Plot
This book tells the story of Bryn, an author who has recently suffered from memory loss surrounding a car accident she was in that took the life of her colleague Paul. Bryn continues
Laurel-Rain
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What would you do if you realized that your new husband, a man you adore, is keeping secrets from you—secrets with terrifying consequences?

Bryn Harper, an accomplished self-help author, already has plenty to deal with. She’s still recovering from a devastating car accident that has left her haunted by recurring, smoke-filled nightmares. Worse still, she can’t shake the ominous feeling her dreams contain a warning.

In the beginning, Bryn’s husband Guy couldn’t have been more supportive. But aft
Karen
Hard to star this one. Stuck between 2-3. So this is a 2.5. It was boring at times. It started off with a bang and then settled down with much "dull and dragging exposition" throughout the book. It became better about 1/2 way through. Still the main character in the book was aggravating and I wanted to scream some sense into her. This book was a disappointment as far as psychological suspense goes. It read more like a cheap cozy mystery. Still I read it through and will try the author's other bo ...more
Isa
Jun 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First novel I have read by Kate White and if all her books are like this one it will be my last. My main complaint was that I did not feel connected to the heroine. She was too obtuse. The "villain(s)" were too predictable. The plot not very interesting. Take a pass on this book and instead try ANY Tami Hoag novel if you want to read a taunt, tense, uttering gripping story!
Crystal
Not up to par with her other books.
Brian
Jan 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
368 pages (or over 10 hours on audio book) to find out it was a dog....don't waste your time.
Joanne Robertson
I had no idea that Kate White had written so many books before and had such a huge fan base! This is the first book of hers I have read and was a little worried at first as I saw reviews saying it wasn’t up to her previous work. But all I can say to that is that if her previous books were better than this one then I need to read and download those books straight away! The Secrets You Keep was an intriguing domestic suspense full of unlikable characters that you shouldn’t really care about but ha ...more
Cecily Kyle
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: towers-vi
I thought I was going to like this book more than I did but unfortunately it dragged a little and I started to find the MC annoying, to the point that I didn't really even care what happened to her. I will give it credit that it took a turn I wasn't quite expecting.
It was all just meh to me.
Lit Laddies: Chapter 15 1 22 Feb 01, 2018 03:57AM

• The Cutaway
  • Hollywood Beach Beauties: Sea Sirens, Sun Goddesses, and Summer Style 1930-1970
  • Hats by Madame Paulette: Paris Milliner Extraordinaire
  • Die Süße des Lebens
  • He Will Find You
  • Seeing America
  • Catherine's Cross
  • A Dangerous Age
  • The Black Painting
  • The Jane Austen Writers’ Club: Inspiration and Advice from the World’s Best-loved Novelist
  • On the Way to Everywhere
  • The Day I Died
  • Cold Feet (Stella Lavender Mystery, #1)
  • Thirteen (Dark Carousel, #0.5)
  • The Book of Five Rings from SmarterComics
  • Still and Always
  • Other Waters
  • A Good Killing (Anna Curtis, #4)
Kate White is the award-winning, New York Times bestselling author of twelve novels of suspense: seven Bailey Weggins mysteries and five psychological thrillers, including The Secrets You Keep. Her next suspense novel, Such a Perfect Wife, will be published on May 7, 2019.

For fourteen years she served as the editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan magazine, and though she loved the job (and the Cosmo beau
“It wasn’t marriage per se that mattered to me but rather a life with Guy, and therefore I wasn’t in need of a big production to kick it off.” 0 likes