Start by marking “This is How We Change the Ending” as Want to Read:
This is How We Change the Ending

This is How We Change the Ending

I have questions I’ve never asked. Worries I’ve never shared. Thoughts that circle and collide and die screaming because they never make it outside my head. Stuff like that, if you let it go—it’s a survival risk.

Sixteen-year-old Nate McKee is doing his best to be invisible. He’s worried about a lot of things—how his dad treats Nance and his twin half-brothers; the hydro
Published September 3rd 2019 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about This is How We Change the Ending, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This is How We Change the Ending

Start your review of This is How We Change the Ending
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Entertaining, hilarious and poignant coming of age story.

When I picked up this book, I thought it sounded interesting, but what I got was a terrific surprise. I was laughing out loud nearly every other paragraph, despite the dreary circumstances in which the protagonist existed. The story was terrific, the banter was entertaining and the protagonists inner commentary was priceless.

The main character was a sixteen year old kid named Nate McKee who has a contentious relationship with his father,
Marianne
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“I like facts. Facts resolve questions, and a question with an answer is a worry that has lost its power.”

This Is How We Change The Ending is the fifth novel by award-winning Australian author Vikki Wakefield. At sixteen, Nate McKee is trying to make sense of life. He’s intelligent and engaged, and he worries about the world. He tries to stay under the radar with the bullies at school and the one at home, Dec, his father, while looking out for his three-year-old twin half-brothers. “I worry that
Text Publishing
The following book reviews have been shared by Text Publishing – publisher of This is How We Change the Ending

‘When I finish a Vikki Wakefield novel I get a tiny ache in my heart because I’m already missing her gutsy characters.’
Melina Marchetta

'This is How We Change the Ending is [Vikki Wakefield’s] best book and my YA novel of the year. It may well be the perfect YA novel.’
Joy Lawn

‘I’m not sure what we did right to deserve a writer as fine as Wakefield, who captures the bruised vulnerability
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookgasm, text, loveozya
For sixteen year old Nathaniel McKee, survival is learning to not to draw attention to yourself, to keep your head down and avoid confrontation. Living in their ramshackle government housing apartment is suffocating, Nate is reminded each day of the mother that abandoned him for her substance addiction, leaving him with his alcoholic, abusive father who uses toxic masculinity as a shield. Now with his new partner eight years his junior, Nance struggles to care for their two young boys Jake and ...more
c,
The willingness to expose wounds is a sign of privilege. Vulnerability is a survival risk, so you don’t show it.

On my blog.

CWs: domestic abuse, child abuse

Galley provided by publisher

Every time I rate a book 3 stars, I come across the same problem: how do I review a book I had no particularly strong feelings about?

Let me start by saying this book was good. Vikki Wakefield is an accomplished writer and creates characters you won’t be able to help but root for.

So why did I not feel it so much?
Trisha
This author keeps producing astonishingly complex tense fiction. Very authentic, very raw.
Jess
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
i just read somebody else saying that the characters are “gutsy” and i like that - they are a bit gutsy. i’ve been thinking a lot about disability in books, and i felt like this book included some amazing things along those lines, until one part which i’m sure you’ll know if you know, but this was a heart-wrenching tale that’s all too true for too many people. australian ya in its prime.
Sue
This book broke me. I was crying halfway through and continued to do so, sporadically, as I read the rest. Vikki Wakefield has built a well-deserved and highly envied reputation as a searing realist fiction author. Her books always have a raw, immediate quality about them and this story, centred around Nate and his family, has an underlying sense of dread and urgency about it not found in the work of many other Australian authors. Living in a cramped, noisy and basic home with his Dad, Dec, his ...more
Erin
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My mind is blown at just how authentic, funny, and real this book is.

Vikki Wakefield paints a stark, yet perfect, picture of vulnerability, abuse, and trying to break a seemingly impossible cycle.

Nate is one such kid stuck in a cycle, and he’s one of the good ones. He tries be invisible, he tries to keep his thoughts and emotions contained to his notebooks, but he soon learns that some things can’t be changed and others can only change when you’re ready to change them yourself.

I loved this
Nadia King
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
"I think we’ve finished, but then he says, ‘Moments. Just moments, one after the other. You only have to hold it together for one moment at a time.’"

One of my favourite young adult Australian authors is Vikki Wakefield so I was excited to get my hands on an early copy of her latest book, This Is How We Change the Ending.

Wakefield’s latest novel lays bare the ugly truth of family abuse and how it can be exacerbated through poverty. The statistics for family violence are horrifying; in Australia
Troy
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great Aus YA novel. The first I've read of Vicki's, but unlikely to be the last. We'll paced and we'll written with some powerful themes.

Written in first person by Nate, a teenager who hangs out at a youth club and has drawn a dud hand in the family stakes.

Some great school scenes here and the message of how the powerless can be powerful was very well done. A great ending as well.

4 stars.
Rennai
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having come off a fantasy series followed directly by a romantic comedy, This Is How We Change the Ending was INTENSE. I wasn't surprised having read Vikki's Friday Brown and all I Ever Wanted.
This coming of age story is told from Nate Mckee's point of view. Nate has decided that he is destined to be a nothing and that the best way to get through life is to keep your head down and just accept the status quo. Accept that you are weak, scared, insignificant. Why does Nate feel this way? Well his
Sophia McQuillan
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novel. It was one I had to read for school but it was so well written and had a profound metaphor embodied in the prologue that subtly interwove throughout the whole novel. Nate himself represented many kids from low SES backgrounds in poverty stricken families and I had great compassion for him being a school teacher. I look forward to studying it with my students.
Clare Snow
Cover and Title incoming.

I'm excited! I'm excited! I'm excited!

Did I tell you I'm excited?
"Drag me off, before I set my world on fire" - Audioslave
RitaSkeeter
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2019
Great writer who draws characters so well I end up depressed and anxious because of my worry for them >.<
Michael Earp
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Vikki Wakefield is such a skilled writer, you barely know she's there. It's just you and the characters she's created, the emotions that are as honest as day. This book is astoundingly well crafted and engaging. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Lilly
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
[Reseña en español en https://mioasisdepalabra.blogspot.com...]

This Is How We Change the Ending is a novel that hurts and makes you feel, that stings like hell, but that comforts you with its flashes of human goodness at the same time. I did not expect this story to move me so much, but I promise you that right now I am happy I gave it a chance. This was book just what I needed right now.

Our main character is Nate, a 16-year-old boy who has a very complicated life. His mother abandoned him when
Becca
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've never read a Vikki Wakefield novel, so I was unsure what to expect. After this, I've put all of her others on my TBR.

The novel follows Nate, a teenager from a broken home. We see the struggles he faces in both his home and school life. The Youth center is his salvation. When the future of is salvation is threatened, he must do all he can to change that; to change the ending.

Wakefield does an amazing job with character development, allowing the reader to really connect with those they're
Sherry Mackay
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Oh dear. Cliche after cliche after cliche! Was this writer even trying? She held back a bit on the domestic violence and the poverty and the bullying, but only just! The main character is a total drip, so boring and so inane. Then we have the cliche where there is a teacher trying to make the students think blah blah blah. This is writing for young adults 101. I think there was very little thought in this story. And I don’t understand why young adult books always have to be full of misery gloom ...more
Alistair
Sixteen-year-old Nate is a self-confessed worrier. He worries about his young half-brothers; their mum, Nance; his abusive and neglectful father, Dec; the local Youth Centre, facing closure, where he spends a lot of time to avoid home; he worries about his future. He is an intelligent, unassuming kid, and over the course of the novel, he begins to accept that he has the ability to alter the circumstances of his circumscribed life.
This is a brilliant evocation of a young man initially wary of the
Pina Baker
I borrowed this book after I heard a discussion on RN book show which was very positive and the panel were almost raving about it. I didn’t really take to it. I didn’t feel anything for the characters. The writing is good but unless you feel for the characters and what happens to them it doesn’t make any difference.
Sandra Shannon
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A harrowing young adult novel. Nate is 17, trying to survive and not be drawn into the mistakes his parents have made. Abandoned by his mum, bullied by his dad and just surviving at school. You want to cheer Nate when he questions the point of everything and how many ways can you be let down. Slow to start but well worth reading.
Tina
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great characters. Despite Nate's problem and less than satisfactory home life, you know he's going to be okay though. I know his mother has her own issues, but her lack of caring when Nate needs her was disappointing and heartbreaking. Not my favourite of Wakefield's novels, but a worthwhile read.
Larry D'librarian
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Excellent social realism read for young adults
Nate is an intelligent young man from a dysfunctional family who sees himself without a future. Goaded by his English teacher and the staff at the local youth centre he begins to awake from his nihilistic existence and begin to make choices
Very readable story
Morgan Schulman
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reader-s-copy
Thanks to edelweiss for the ARC

Very charming YA angst. Really focused on the humor of the mundane and the restless of growing older in a place that’s in decline. No distracting cliches. Compelling characters. Well recommended
Laura Anne
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What to say. Very rarely do I read a book where I know the characters, the story, the feels, will all stay with me for life. It is written in such a quiet understated manner yet has such raw power.
Pat
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tense. Wonderful characters and writing. Love her work!
Suzie
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is definitely my favourite novel of hers by far. Dark, challenging and utterly compelling. On the edge of my seat a few times
Katg
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bleak but so engaging
Charles
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Good book wasn't feeling it.
Goodreads Librari...: Update book blurb 2 17 Jun 11, 2019 04:24AM