Start by marking “Lawless (The Ironfire Legacy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lawless (The Ironfire Legacy, #1)

Lawless

(The Ironfire Legacy #1)

Librarian's note: See alternate cover edition of ASIN B075BSZ3JF here.

The salvation of humans and dragons lies within a convicted murderer.

Dragonshifter Kesia Ironfire has one goal—to redeem her past by serving the cruel dragon Pinnacle as a soldier in the dragon-human war.

Then a rogue mission to spy on a new airship explodes into sickening green smoke. The same mysterious
Published September 29th 2017 by Uncommon Universes Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about Lawless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lawless

Start your review of Lawless (The Ironfire Legacy, #1)
Kyle
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dragon shapeshifters. Steampunk setting. Intricate magic system. Deep and complex characters.

We readers of speculative fiction are a cynical bunch. Sure, the above list of things makes the book in question sound awesome, but it’s also too good to be true, right?

Nope. Janeen Ippolito’s Lawless lives up to the hype—and more. The core of great storytelling is an author’s ability to deliver on promises to the reader. Ms. Ippolito makes quite a few promises in the back-cover blurb alone, but successf
Laura Grace
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This author really has quite a few surprises in store for readers.

I have to admit that when I first started reading, I did not like Shance. At. All. I could care less for him when all I wanted was more ZEPHRYN! *clears throat* I mean Kesia and Zephryn. ;) So, to say that I was I a little surprised when I started liking Shance is an understatement. Though I can't say I feel overly sad for him due to circumstances. (Goodness, that sounds heartless!)

Now I shouldn't have been surprised because I rea
Kara Swanson
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lawless was an endearing, unique, action-packed adventure from start to finish. I instantly fell in love with the characters Janeen has created and with her story world. The idea of being a dragon shifter--able to shift from being a dragon to "skin form" (human)--was, frankly, awesome. The way the characters personalities and their view on the world around them was affected by changing from dragon to human was such a creative twist. The plot itself swept along quickly, full of unexpected develop ...more
Anna Tan
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, I went into Lawless a little warily. I had a rocky start with it--liking the snarkiness between Kesia and Zephryn, but stumbling a little to figure out what was going on. Fleetwings? Talents? Congruency? Scepters? What? But confusion soon cleared and then it was off on an adventure!

The dragon-human war has dragged for years with no resolution. On the dragon side, Kesia, convicted murderer, serves as a soldier for the Pinnacle in hopes of redemption; her fleetwing and tactical part
Heather Hayden
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love dragons and steampunk, so the blurb grabbed me immediately (as did that smashing cover). The story is well-woven and I liked the characters, especially Kesia. I'm looking forward to the upcoming sequels.

Warning: There ARE references to sex and promiscuity, as well as some implied scenes (though nothing explicit.) If you prefer completely "clean" reads, this may not be the story for you.

However, if you love dragons and steampunk and don't mind a little adult romance, definitely check this
Kat Heckenbach
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steampunk with sci-fi elements. A war between dragon-shifters and humans. A love story about souls destined to be together. The story world in this book is so well-done, and the characters are lovable and real. The writing is smooth and kept me turning pages. A great start to the series.
Josiah
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Interesting story as a whole. The characters were a bit weird and hard to relate to at points since they were shapeshifting dragons, but that's also what made the story realistic given their "otherness." The politics confused me a couple points, but that could also be the side effect of reading half of it and putting the book down for a couple weeks before finishing it today. As a whole, it was decently entertaining with some good character arc and thematic moments.

Rating: 3.5-4 Stars (Good).
K.M. Carroll
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was a tad skeptical when I started reading this book. I mean, sure, I like shapeshifters, especially dragon shifters. And it’s pretty fun when they get involved with airships, specifically, crashing them (thanks, Aranya by Marc Secchia!). But a few things struck me as odd, such as the way Kesia and Zephyrn have no words for love or romance. This is taken to almost a ludicrous extreme, such as when Shance starts crushing on Kesia and she doesn’t understand when he calls her “beautiful”.

But I ke
Claire Banschbach
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books where I thought I'd just "read a little bit" and then five hours later, I'm still completely immersed in the world of dragon shifters, airship captains, and intrigue.

So much love for the world building and the characters. I'm pretty much #TeamShance and just want him to be generally awesome at everything. Kesia was pretty epic. But I feel kind of lame to say that Zephyrn wasn't my favorite? He's cool and all, but didn't quite connect with him like the others.

The plot
Sarah Bowen
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!

A wonderful world, engaging characters, and a fun storyline. I couldn't put it down and I can't wait for the next one!
StoryStormBlog
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Between the shapeshifting, snarky humor, and intriguing story world details, this book was sooo much fun to read. Imagine being able to transform yourself into any living creature you’ve seen… like a bug: “[Beetle-form] Kesia was halfway to a window before she caught herself. Instead of hurtling into the glass, she landed on it, the sticky bits on her legs clinging to the surface.” Have you ever been compelled to hurl yourself at window glass? Oh the challenges of being a shapeshifter! So much f ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
What I liked best about this story was its sense of fun. It did get serious in places, but it had a lot of great lighter moments. It never became dreary. I've been trying to decide how I would describe this book. I think I would call it a dragon-shifter adventure/mystery set in a steampunk universe. There is almost a dystopian flavor about the human and dragon governments as well, which I liked.

World-building was pretty good, though I feel that it took a little more work than it should have to g
Laura Kehoe
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on Book Unicorn Reviews

Actual rating 3.5 stars.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I first started this book. I'm generally a huge fan of anything involving dragons, but I didn't know how it would play out with the shape shifting element. And I'm happy to say that, overall, I think it worked out really great! I had a lot of fun reading this book.

Fair warning: there was a little love triangle going on. Normally, love triangles are a great way to ruin a book for me. But in this ca
K.A. Cummins
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having previously been introduced to Janeen Ippolito's writing in her short story, "Superhero Publicist", in the "Hall of Heroes" anthology, I jumped at the opportunity to request and receive a free copy of Lawless for the purposes of a review.

The characters really brought this book to life for me. The tangled weave of Kesia's past and the challenges she faced drew me into the world of Sekastra. I loved the bond between Kesia and Zephryn, but, in the beginning, I also secretly rooted for the tid
Jessica Belmont
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a minor (huge) obsession with dragons, so when I read that Lawless was a book full of dragon shapeshifters in a steampunk setting, I knew I had to give it a shot.

I’m so glad I did. Janeen Ippolito has crafted a really intricate magic system and complex characters. Dragon shapeshifting has precise rules that I’ve never read before. They are also distinctly different than humans. They have their own behavior, culture and thought patterns.

Admittedly, I don’t read a ton of steampunk, so I was
Writerheartplus
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a free ARC copy pdf.file. I did not receive any monetary payment for my review. It is of my own volition I created this review.

Janeen Ippolito’s shape shifting dragon novel weaves a tale with intrigue, romance, betrayal and more. Kesia Ironfire is far more than she takes form, she and Zephryn, her partner in battle, take on the evil that encompasses both the humans and dragons in their world. While the story contains mild swearing, drinking, notable fantasy oaths, magic-light as in su
Sharon Hughson
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting fantasy reality with dragons. Yes, I adore dragons, especially ones with other magical abilities (unique ones, too). It earns a solid four stars from me.
My biggest problem with the story...it wasn't Shance Windwalker's story. It was Kesia and Zephryn's story, and having Shance's POV threw me out of sync with the real problem and the necessary resolution.
I started this series with PRICELESS (Nula's story) so meeting her interested me. However, if I would have started with t
C.O. Bonham
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lawless by Janeen Ippolito is amazing. There are no other words. This is one of those stories that won't let you go until you finish it.

The world building is superb. The author creates a technologically advanced, steampunk society with holograms and airships. Dragons who can pass as humans. Everyone has incredible superpowers. But the truly amazing thing is that all of these elements: Steampunk tech, fantasy dragon shifters, and mutant abilities all mesh perfectly into one engaging plot filled
David Justiss
I was unsure about it at first, but it ended up being a good story. I look forward to reading the others in the series.
One thing that bothered me though was the lack of any explanation of why the dragons in this world could take almost-human forms (and be attracted to each other's human forms -that bugged me near the beginning. Snakes aren't attracted to dogs. Ducks don't try to mate with frogs. Humans and dragons are very different species. How could dragons be attracted to humans?) It wouldn't
Ilja
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about a war between humans and dragons, which is not at all what it appears to be. Our three heroes, an unlikely trio, fight for justice. And I loved it from start to finish. The dragons are so, so well-written. Seemingly humans in skin-form, but a whole different culture, including their love-life and lack of knowledge of "blinking with just one eye".

Janeen Ippolito is a great self-published writer who should be more famous in the world of fantasy, as she is an excellent writer. This is
Gretchen
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Steampunk Dragon Shifters

A tightly written adventure with good world building and enjoyable characters. Kesia and Zephryn are dragon shifters. Shance is an airship captain who needs their help and develops feelings for Kesia. The story has an interesting plot and shows a love triangle right. It took me a bit to get into Kesia’s character and see her for anything more than a criminal. Once her circumstances were discussed, I grew to like her.
Samantha
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was awesome. I love books about dragons.
It was really interesting being inside Kesia and Zephryns head. They don't know much about humans and watching them learn some of it was amazing.
Ah Shance Windkeeper. What can I say about you? I just hope he gets a happy ending.
I'm excited to see where the next one takes us. But I kind of want two different characters to take the stage this time.
giftedteacher
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think my students are really going to love this book. I think that both boys and girls will find this read appealing since its strong female lead really punches the story forward. Also, who doesn't love dragons?

I received a free electronic copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Threadslayer
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An exciting read. I was very impressed with the character development in this story. It helped the characters come alive, but didn't slow down the pace of the story. Definitely one I plan to reread as I wait impatiently for the next book in the series. ...more
Merenwen Inglorion
RTC, because I’m still trying to decide on my rating…definitely a high one, but there were a couple elements that I normally don’t like in my fiction that fit really really well in this story. And I’m still trying to decide whether or not that should affect my rating. XD
Jackie
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing beginning to a superb story. I can’t wait to start the next one.
Annie Lima
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this unusual dragon romance. The characters were all unique and interesting, and so was the worldbuilding. It could have used a better edit, unfortunately.
CliffHanger
May 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great start for the series and can do well as a standalone too. Had me intrigued from start to finish.
Michelle Bruhn
Steampunk dragon-shifters with special powers. 'Nuff said.

Seriously, though, this was a very fun book to read! I loved the main characters (especially Zephryn *sigh*), the plot was intriguing, and it made me want to read more.

The only problem I had was that a few of the plot-points seemed to come out of nowhere and were hard for me to understand right at first. But everything eventually became straight in my head and I honestly couldn't tell you it if was the writing that gave me the problem or
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read! Unique story merging the world of dragons and humans. Ms. Ippolito does an excellent job of world building without confusing the reader. Characters are complex but relatable. Excellent writing with a touch of humor. I had a hard time putting the book down. This is the type of story you will think about long after you finish reading it!

• Mercury at Risk (Mercury Hale Book 3)
  • Mercury on Guard (Mercury Hale Book 1)
  • Stormbreaker (Alex Rider, #1)
  • Mercury at Risk (Mercury Hale)
  • Hall of Heroes
  • Mercury for Hire (Mercury Hale Book 2)
  • The Case for Christ
  • The Invisible Man
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance, #1)
  • Silber: Das erste Buch der Träume (Silber, #1)
  • The Darwin Affair
  • Lost in Averell (Princess by Night, #1)
  • Ghostly Vendetta: A Prequel Novella to the Candace Marshall Chronicles
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • War Bound (Elven Alliance #2)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Uglies (Uglies, #1)
  • Emberhawk
Janeen Ippolito believes you should own your unique words—and make them awesome! She’s a multi-published author of bestselling fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. She’s also an experienced book editor and marketing strategist, plus the CEO of Uncommon Universes Press, a publishing company with award-winning books. She hosts the podcast Own Your Unique Words, which helps gutsy fiction authors grow the ...more

The Ironfire Legacy (2 books)
  • Faithless (Ironfire Legacy, #2)

News & Interviews