Start by marking “The Christmas Star: A Love Story” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Star: A Love Story

The Christmas Star: A Love Story

Paul Bennett had the perfect wife, the perfect family, the perfect life—until one fateful Christmas brought an unthinkable tragedy. In deep despair, he turns to drinking to drive away the pain, but he only succeeds in driving away his wife. His marriage shattered, his family gone, Paul now despises Christmas.

But can the holiday he so detests hold a miraculous s
Published October 10th 2017 by Waterfall Press

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Star

Start your review of The Christmas Star: A Love Story
Peter  Younghusband
I "bought" this novel as a free download earlier this week from Amazon. I love reading Christmas novels during December to encourage myself of the importance and meaning of this season. Despite this being subtitled as a love story and I am not attracted to romance novels with this being the main story arc, I was drawn to this novel by the travel back in time to period of Jesus' birth and the encounter the main character had with the shepherds who visited Him. I love time travel as a story arc an ...more
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Great Christmas story to be shared by all.
Miller shares this positive story that will have you Mad, Laughing crying and thanking God page by page. It was heart-wrenching and yet over flowing with grace and hope. It was an emotional read that's for sure. But one you will not soon forget. This is one story that is sure to make your faith stronger.
Megan and Abby are so special they are characters that will leave foot prints on your heart.
I without a doubt will be reading this one again
Mark
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read and reviewed this author's other Christmas novel a few years ago, and really liked it. A few weeks ago, he commented on that book review on my blog and asked if I'd be interested in reviewing his new Christmas novel. I can never turn down a Christmas book, and also since I liked his other book, I said yes. This is actually his third Christmas novel, but I have not read the second one.

The title of this book is Christmas Star, A Love Story. A lot of the book does not take plac
J.M. Powers
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Christmas Star by Robert Tate Miller seeped into my heart the moment I started reading. The narrative of the main character, Paul Bennett, was so real I could hear his voice tell of young love, hope, faith, and despair. My heart broke when he suffered a loss so severe, I was left wondering how he would survive it.

This story is full of faith, though not preachy. It’s filled with undying love, though not sappy. This story holds a wonderful balance of both. In my opinion, it is the most unforg
Mary
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful story!

I was so pleasantly pleased with this beautiful story of love and loss, despair and redemption. The love story is beautifully crafted, and the author seems to have painstakingly chosen every word to perfectly capture each mood, thought, and feeling. And what a beautiful way to be redeemed, by Christ Himself on the day of his birth. I will be recommending this one to my friends and family and checking out any other offerings by this author!
Anthonia
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story that will have you believing in life and all things around you. The story gives life to to faith, understand, truth, hope, miracles, belief, and heart. A very good book about learning that God works in mysterious ways and learning one's path in life. A must read for any and all book lovers everywhere.
Nicki
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tear jerker

Several stories are mixed to make a fabulous book. I had several emotions as I read this one. It is religious but it added to the book. Totally excellent!

I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.
Sharon
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A tale of love and faith, found, lost and regained. A gentle lesson on faith and a lovely reminder of the reason for this season.
Nancy
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very special story!

This is a story about family and how an accident can undermine a person's faith in God. It also reminds us that faith in God can also create miracles.
Aletha Pagett
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an unusual story. Loved it, couldn't put it down!
Joelle
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This is a beautiful story of redemption and the true gift of Christmas. Highly recommended!🎄

*I received a free digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Kathy Dalquist
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. A different take on a much loved story from a "misplaced" shepherd from the future. A love story, yes, but very current and very painful at times as Paul faces a loss that no parent should ever have to face. Then to lose it all because he can't accept that loss. But the Christmas star has a lesson for him and for us if we just listen. Sometimes it takes more direct action such as happened to Paul. You'll have to read it to find out how!
Nadine Keels
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
The pain of a crushing tragedy has driven Paul away from his family, and he now drinks far too much. He’s come to abhor Christmas, but one Christmas Eve accident lands him back in time—in the path of shepherds who’ll soon travel to see the newborn Christ in The Christmas Star: A Love Story by author Robert Tate Miller.

This novel wasn’t originally in my holiday reading queue for the year. But with the simple and tranquil but stunning quality of its chilly blue book cover sitting atop my TB
Cindy Adair
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hope in the Light.

This was a beautiful love story on many levels. It was the story of young love, forbidden love, forever love, parental love, hurt love, broken love, supernatural love, redeeming love, God’s perfect love. This story follows the lives of Paul and Rebecca from the time they met as teenagers through their marriage and birth of children and deep tragedy. As they are sure their marriage cannot survive the darkness, God steps in. After hitting his head on ice, Paul is transported bac
Stacy
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: firstreads
I won this book as a FirstRead.

Paul Bennett had the perfect family, a wife he loved dearly and two precious daughters. One Christmas, however, tragedy strikes, and the family is ripped apart. He turns away from what is left of his family and turns to drinking to deal with his guilt and grief instead. He hates Christmas and asks how God could exist because surely God wouldn't have let this tragedy happen. On Christmas Eve four years later, Paul hits his head and wakes up as a shepherd
Cari
The Christmas Star: A Love Story is a heartwarming story of the power of love, God, and forgiveness. This book would be absolutely perfect for fans of The Shack; however, I did not much care for The Shack and LOVED The Christmas Star. I felt that over all Robert Tate Miller displayed much more skillfull storytelling and a much higher calibre of writing than that seen in The Shack, although both novels held similar themes: finding redemption and comfort in the Lord during times of ultimate darkness and sorrow. I loved that ...more
Tammy G.
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For some unknown reason it seems that the unexpected, not.so.good thing(s) can happen during or at the Christmas holiday time.

Paul Bennett and the terrible.not.so.good accident turns is life to drinking and deep despair.

Yes, this book reminds one of The Wonderful Life only because Paul has a similar experience.

However, when Paul travels to Bethlehem during a non conscious state of mind he learns that he needs a Savior.

Isn't the Savior being born what Christmas is truly about? ...more
Diane
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Won this e book from Goodreads give away.

This is a story of love and faith. The author did a wonderful job of telling this story.

The story takes you on a journey of one man who felt that his live had it all till the day his daughter died. He then seem to loose his faith in everything and in himself. He blamed himself for his daughter death. It took a toile on job and marriage. He thought himself not worthy any more.

Till one day he hit rock bottom and had a ac
Linda Rogers
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This delightful Christmas Story brought a tear to my eyes. With all the commercialization of Christmas these days, it is nice to read a story of love and the realization of Christ's birth so long ago, that it is really true. May we all remember the true meaning of Christmas, that we are celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior. Although we all love and enjoy the trees, wreaths, gifts, Santa and all the rest, I hope we all take time to reflect on our lives, our family relationships and try to ...more
Linda
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, 2019
Paul Bennett has been through the worst event a parent can go through, the loss of a child, especially in an accident. He blames himself and soon loses even more, his wife and remaining child. In an accident he is taken back to a simpler time. Through a shepherd and his family Paul learns about caring for one's family and witnesses the time when Jesus is born. When returning to his own time he realizes that he must forgive himself which in turn brings his family back to him.
Patti
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book in the giveaways, and I'm very thankful that I did! I couldn't put the book down once I started. I was very sad when the tragedy happened, and I can see where so many families end up in the same place as this family. I have had difficulties in life, but none like this. I could almost picture being in the stable as Paul was. Just as in life, redemption is possible. Beautiful story!
Laurie
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful Holiday book to get you in the spirit of Christmas.
When Paul and his family think they have the Best life can offer, a tragedy occurs that devastates Paul to the point where he can barely function.
A fall and a dream (?) cause Paul to time travel to the day of the Christ child's birth and puts his world into prospective. Will he truly understand the meaning of the message he is given?
This is a beautiful story, one to be read.
Diana
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful Christmas story

One of love, faith, fear, failure and redemption. Love conquers even the death of a loved one. Paul and Becca 's love surpasses all life throws at them until tragedy strikes and Paul losses his faith. The many side stories, lessons, are interesting and lends much to this book. The time travel concept narrative is rewarding and inspiring.
Patricia
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Good Read!

I gave this book 5 stars because I thoroughly enjoyed the story. If you enjoy Christian stories of faith and healing, then this book is for you. The story really drew me in. And as the title says it is truly a love story.
Stacy
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
An usual read

I liked this story. It is unusual and too me awhile to get into. It wasn't what I was expecting at all... But like it said, a fresh perspective. Nice to read didn't the Christmas season.
Tena
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2-goodread_wins
I won this kindle version in a GOODREADS giveaway.
Evelyn Bickley
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
December 2018 Roundtable Book Club selection.

Liked it being told first person. Very different kind of a story--not typical Hallmark. Like time travel/amnesia view of first Christmas.
Anita Hartley
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful

The most beautiful story I have read in a long time. It was hard to read through my tears. I will read it again
Sandra Osborn
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I can see this as a made for TV movie
Faith
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quaint

This story shows how even if we do not understand the who, what, when, where, or why... There is always light. God is always there we just have to choose to turn to him.

The appreciation of understanding how tragedy can affect a family and more so, an individual. The beauty in that while we are going through the ugly, God can and will restore us. We only need to look to him.

Using time travel/dream state as a way to bring about redemption was a nice device in the w

• Welcome to Wishing Bridge (Wishing Bridge, #1)
  • The Christmas Joy Ride
  • Bleak Landing
  • A Christmas Flower
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • The Noel Stranger (The Noel Collection, #2)
  • Catching Christmas
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Magnolia Inn
  • Good Man, Dalton
  • After You Were Gone
  • The Christmas Blessing
  • The Christmas Forest
  • Relentless Optimism: How a Commitment to Positive Thinking Changes Everything (Sports for the Soul Book 3)
  • Straight Shooter: A game-changing new approach to basketball shooting
  • Think Like a Warrior - The Five Inner Beliefs That Make You Unstoppable - Shamrock New Media
  • Nell and Lady
  • Waiting Season (Melinda Foster, #4)
Robert Tate Miller was raised in the North Carolina mountain town of Hendersonville and began writing at an early age. He began his writing career with homespun essays of small town life that were published in such publications as Reader's Digest, The Christian Science Monitor and the Chicken Soup for the Soul book series. He moved to Los Angeles in the late 1980s and wrote hugely successful famil ...more
“When you're cast in darkness, there's only one way to go—and that's toward the light.” 1 likes
“Because God loved me, I could never really be incarcerated. Knowing that was my freedom. There I was in my cell all alone in the middle of the night, and I was having this experience—a spiritual transformation. I realized that, as God's child, I was already free, that I could be free in my heart and soul and mind, even if my body was locked in an iron cage.” 0 likes