Start by marking “Perfect Rhythm” as Want to Read:
Perfect Rhythm

Perfect Rhythm

(Fair Oaks #1)

Pop star Leontyne Blake might sing about love, but she stopped believing in it a long time ago. What women want is her image, not the real her. When her father has a stroke, she flees the spotlight and returns to her tiny Missouri hometown.

In her childhood home, she meets small-town nurse Holly Drummond, who isn’t impressed by Leo’s fame at all. That isn’t the only thing
Paperback, 1st, 320 pages
Published September 5th 2017 by Ylva Publishing

Start your review of Perfect Rhythm
Lex Kent
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written, enjoyable romance. I just realized this is my 500th review on Goodreads. I'm happy to have it be from one of my favorite authors period. For me, Jae never disappoints, and this book was no exception.

There has been a lot of new terms for sexuality and gender, that has come out in the past few years. As a lesbian, I want to support other minorities, but I honestly felt old, not knowing all these new terms. Sort of like when I used to explain how to use new technology to my parents,
Diane Wallace
'Ylva-Publishing ARC provided in exchange for my honest review'

2.5 stars! After reading this book,I realized my knowledge on someone's sexual status or preference is zero because in society there are so many different names now for example 'this-sexual' or 'that-sexual' and so on-which is really getting exhausting because a few years ago one was either gay or straight,lesbian or bisexual..now the list of sexuality names is so long one has to google just to find out each meaning and please i'm
Tiff
I have taken a step back from reading for a bit, there is a lot going on and at times I find myself reading current events more than being able to zone out with a book. It hasn't helped that the last couple of months nothing really sounds interesting to read. When I got a chance to read Jae's newest book, it sat on my Kindle for a few days before I opened it. Can I just say, I am so glad that I did. Perfect Rhythm has that quintessential Jae style. It's focused, romantic, detailed and has that ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Perfect Rhythm is one of the only romance novels I've ever read that I've come across and really loved. For one thing, its small town Missouri setting is depicted beautifully. Jae truly knows how to craft the quaint tranquility of rural scenes with expert precision. Secondly, this book breaks boundaries. As an asexual myself it's not easy to find any novels that feature asexual characters, least of all who aren't depicted as awkward and geeky prudes, so Perfect Rhythm was great in that regard, ...more
Jane Clements
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesbian, romance
Well, that was different! I didn’t read the blurb for this book before I selected it because I have enjoyed all of Jae’s books, so I was confident I’d like this one, too. I expected a lesbian romance, and that’s what this is – but it’s not like any I’ve ever read before. That’s because Holly – one of the main characters – is asexual.

Of course, I’ve heard about asexuality before. Asexual people are not interested in sex, right? It never seemed like a big deal or anything, but it isn’t something
Bethany
Jae's new book Not the Marrying Kind is sitting on my Kindle mocking me right now... I wanted to jump right in, but realized pretty fast that it's set in the same universe as Perfect Rhythm, which has also been sitting on my to-read list for a while. I've been parceling out Jae's books slowly since I love them so much and would really hate to run out, but it just made sense to read this one first!

I'm the type of reader who loves intimacy in a novel. The little touches, the looks, the kind
Pin
This is Jae at her best. Backwards to Oregon is still my favorite by her (and probably will be forever), but Perfect Rhythm is not too far behind.

5 stars
Sep 18, 2017
Lexxi Kitty
I received an ARC of this book from Ylva Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

This book stars two women (and yes you see both of their point of views) who have at least two specific things in common that are important to the story: 1) both are from the same small town in Missouri; 2) both are romantically interested in women. There’s also one very important difference, though, that is important to the storyline: one of the women, Holly, is not sexually interested in anyone – she has a
Les Rêveur
This novel floored me. I’ve got nothing but admiration for Jae’s novels but after reading this my acclaim has doubled. It takes a lot of courage to write a lesbian fiction romance about an allosexual Lesbian and a asexual Lesbian. I have researched the sub genre to find no other Asexual Lesbian Fiction novels around and I must applaud Jae for taking this subject and rocking it.

When popstar sensation Leo goes back to her hometown in Missouri to see her ailing father, she doesn’t expect to meet
lov2laf
I definitely have some mixed feelings on this read and I'm frustrated that I do because I wanted to enjoy this book so much more than I did.

I'll start off with what I liked:

A lead character in the story, that plays a love interest, is an asexual lesbian. This is an orientation that needs to be included more often and I appreciate the asylum this book offers to asexual people as well as those in a mixed orientation relationship.

Overall, I found the read educational because asexuality was
Elske
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just reread this beautiful novel by Jae and loved it again. I won’t say anything more about it, just that I highly recommend this book. There are better reviews of this book than I could write.
Luce
Corporate Slave
So I love Jae! Who really dosent ? She’s an amazing writer and from the first page I’m always hooked up with her stories. The amazing thing about Jae is how you get hooked up as well with her characters as she really goes the extra mile in bringing them to life (in your head obviously).
The only reason I gave this a 3 stars, is because I really didn’t like Holly, one of the main characters! For me, she was shellfish, boring, and very judgmental!
But overall the book is so nice so I was so upset
Tere
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alright, this one was a very good read.

Leo is a famous singer just finishing a world tour when she receives a call from her estranged mother. Her father has suffered a stroke and her presence is needed at home. Home is the small town in Missouri where she grew up, but quickly left in order to pursue her singing career. It was also the place she never fit in and where her father was clearly disappointed on her choice of career as well as her sexual orientation. Leo meets Holly when she makes it
Cheri
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, lgbtq, arc
I've missed reading several of Jae's newer books but jumped at the opportunity to read this one. More visibility and inclusion of the BT and A aspects of LGBTQA spectrum are needed and I think Perfect Rhythm is a great addition.

I knew the bare bones about asexuality so it was nice to get to know Holly and get a better understanding of some of the relationship hurdles she and other ace folks deal with. Besides the issues dealing specifically with asexuality, this is a pretty standard lesfic
Penny
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best Jae book since.. I don't know. Under a Falling Star? Shaken to the Core?

Anyway. Perfect Rhythm delivers everything you want in a romance: two well build leading ladies, great pace and the perfect amount of angst. Having an ansexual lead is just the cherry on top.
hubsie
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good read actually, the content was different than other lesfics. Plus it's always a bonus when I learn stuff! Asexual orientation is something I was not familiar with, and I think Jae handled this subject delicately and maturely. The two MCs had a genuine bond built on a strong emotional/affectionate foundation. What I did like is that even though Holly's orientation is the biggest hurdle, Leo's sexuality was not back-burnered....Holly made sure they had equal footing and open ...more
Cristina
I have to recognise what got my attention about this book was the subject of asexuality. I realize how ignorant I was because I didn’t have any idea about asexuals (how they feel about sex). I also recognize that I had my doubts about how the author could build a romance between asexual and allosexual people. However I must say that Jae create a beautiful and intense romance, and the most important thing: a believable story.
Agirlcandream
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ylva
I always enjoy reading a book which enlightens while it entertains. I was impressed with the effortless writing which allowed me to begin to understand the spectrum of asexuality while delivering a beautiful slow burn romance. I admit to not being one of Jae’s biggest fans as I’ve little interest in Hollywood, shape shifters or the old west. I enjoyed reading Heart Trouble last year and am now beginning to understand why Jae is a favourite lesfic author for many readers.

Perfect Rhythm caught my
Starsandsun18
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
After reading this again I've a little knowledge about Ace.
I haven't met anyone that's why I'm really interested to read more about them. Good thing Jae explained it well.

Jenna Blake or Leontyne Blake is a well known grammy winner pop-star. She left her home town to escape her strict and unsupportive father. Now that her father is sick she has to go back to the town that she despised. She's reached her dreams but still she's not happy.

Holly Hollis is a nurse, she's also an Ace. I haven't really
Sandra
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jae, favorites
What a fantastic book. Thank you Jae, you're awesome.

This isn’t the average romance, as this one has a special topic, asexuality. Yes, I heard of asexuality before, but I’ve never thought much about it. This book brings this theme up in a perfect way. And I learned a lot during reading.

This is the wonderful love story of Leontyne and Holly.
There is the famous pop singer Jenna (Leontyne) Blake, who travels the world for her concerts, her success and her fame. Thousands of crazy fans permanently
Blink51n
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this book 5 stars. I decided to round up from 4.5 because Jae has created such a wonderful, layered and interesting romance with Leo and Holly.

First of all, I am disappointed to see a few negative comments in regards to how many letters we have added to LGBT. The more the merrier, I say. When Holly described herself as always feeling broken, I nearly cried. Not simply because it made me feel for Holly (which it did), but I can wholly relate to that feeling.

I went to high school in
MJS
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by YLVA Publishing in return for an honest review.

I'm pretty sure I've read everything Jae's published and I've enjoyed all of her stories, though some more than others. She's an author that writes very well and you can tell she researches her stories thoroughly.

This book was different in some ways from the 'norm' for her, in that one of her characters, Holly, is asexual, and that's not something I think I've ever seen in a lesfic (not sure that the accurate term for this book,
Pam Holzner
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, scribd
This was the first book I've read with an ACE character. Props to Jae for not only writing such a character but putting her front and center in a romance.
angie
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel rather betrayed by A Perfect Rhythm...and yet I know this must sound so over-the-top and the wrong reaction to an overall beautiful book, with just one scene I am having a hard time forgiving, if that makes sense. I do not want to spoil anything and there are so many terrific, deeply sincere and emotionally moving aspects here in this novel. Somehow, though (and maybe I am being overly sensitive and am not taking away what I am meant to) it feels as though one of the main characters is ...more
Marilyn
All year I've been reading rave reviews of this book, and now I understand why. I loved it. The narration of the audiobook was delightful. Kudos to Jae, Angela Dawe and everyone involved in the production of this fabulous book.
Bree Paige
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, celeb, asexual
Wow.. this book is amazing ...
This wasnt the first book that I've read with asexual charaters but this book is very much imformative about asexual that made me understand them..
All in All i love this book!!!
Kexx
Re-read as now 1st in "Fair Oaks" series - & thought I'd reacquaint myself with the place - just love this book - should have a "This will make you late for work" warning on the cover! Once picked up, why put down! Superb.
Amanda
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jae is one of my favorite authors. She also wrote my favorite book, Backwards to Oregon. I have read several of her books over and over, and own most of them in both paperback and ebook form. I read a lot of books each year. Not as many as others, but in comparison to the average person I am way ahead. It is so refreshing to read a book that doesn’t seem familiar. I am going to show my ignorance here. I of course knew a lot of sexualities exist, but I have never met anyone asexual (that I am ...more
Annie ~ Queer Books Unbound
Reviewed for From Top to Bottom Reviews.

Rating 2.5 stars. (I'm really unsure abt how to rate this, but somewhere between "it was ok" and "I liked it" seems most fitting).

*A copy of this was provided by the publisher

I was super excited to start this because there are not enough ace f/f stories. There's not enough ace rep, period. But I find it easier to find ace characters in contemporary m/m. I requested a copy at the publisher and was stoked when I got a copy. But I have mixed feelings about
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Beautiful Dreamer
  • Fear of Falling
  • In Development
  • The Neighbor
Jae is the author of twenty-one award-winning lesbian romances. She lives in the sunniest city of Germany, near the French and Swiss borders. The writing bug bit her at the age of eleven.

She used to work as a psychologist but gave up her day job in 2013 to become a full-time writer and a part-time editor. As far as she’s concerned, it’s the best job in the world.

When she’s not writing, she is an

Fair Oaks (2 books)