Start by marking “A Dance of Silver and Shadow: A Retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #1)” as Want to Read:

A Dance of Silver and Shadow: A Retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses

(Beyond the Four Kingdoms #1)

When Princess Liliana and her twin sister setsail for new lands, Lily hopes to find adventure and romance. But the people of Marin live under the shadow of a curse—one powerful enough to destroy entire kingdoms. To protect them all, Lily and eleven other princesses are forced to participate in a mysterious and secret tournament.

Lily spends her nights competing in a magical
Published September 4th 2017 by Luminant Publications

To ask other readers questions about A Dance of Silver and Shadow, please sign up.
Kim Gregory I would read this series in order, starting with The Four Kingdoms and then going on to Beyond the Four Kingdoms. You meet some of the characters more…moreI would read this series in order, starting with The Four Kingdoms and then going on to Beyond the Four Kingdoms. You meet some of the characters more than once in different stories.(less)

Start your review of A Dance of Silver and Shadow: A Retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #1)
Amanda
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have been spending too much money on audiobooks recently, so I decided to give the app, Libby a try. I love it. It connects to your library card and there are many electronic ebooks and audiobooks available. I found A Dance of Silver and Shadow by Melanie Cellier, narrated by Esther Wane on Libby and I was immediately drawn to the cover. It is gorgeous. AND it is a fairytale retelling. Not just any fairytale, it is a 12 Dancing Princesses retelling. That is one of my favorite fairytales and I ...more
Jessie
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gripping!

The Twelve Dancing Princesses is one of my favorite fairytales. I've read several adaptions of it, but I never expected such a fresh take on the story!

In this case, twelve princesses are forced into the princess tourney. By old law and magic, they must compete in tasks to determine who will be the Beast of Palinar's bride. None of them want to win, but they are in danger if they do not try.

I loved the eeriness of the competitions, the mysterious darkness overtaking the land, and the
Alaina
I have never heard of the story about The Twelve Dancing Princesses. I swear on my life and my fur babies, Jackson and Bailey. Now after listening to this really adorable book, I'm down to dive into the twelve princesses. No idea where I will find it but I will eventually track it down and devour it.

A Dance of Silver and Shadow was a really nice retelling to dive into. Probably would've made a bit more sense to me if I listened or read this while doing on the Disney challenges in my group (these
Amanda
Review Coming Soon!
Merie Shen
This book is so beautiful, it is a wonder that I haven't thought to review it until now... oh wait, now I remember why. It's because words simply cannot express my profound astonishment at reading this... and yes, I am being melodramatic, because why ever not? It's worth it.

Melanie Cellier's books are so worth it.

Read this book, please, just for the sake of my heart. Actually no, go back and read all of Melanie Cellier's Four Kingdoms series before you start this one, as Beyond the Four
Tèo Sip
Feb 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
What kingdom is naive enough to send three of their princesses to an unknown land to marry them off? They should have sent some representatives/spies/scouts to collect proper information about this mysterious land beforehand (It’s just common sense!!!). Or at least have guards accompanied the princesses for god’s sake!
Moreover, I cannot believe how poorly this mysterious land treats the princesses: bossing the princesses around without giving any explanation, forcing and pulling them out of
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Beyond the Four Kingdoms series by Melanie Cellier. Princess Liliana aka Lily and her sister, Sophia aka Sophie, of Arcadia, travel to the Duchy of Marin, along with Princess Celine of Lanover, only to discover the day they arrive they are forced to participate in the Princess Tourney. The Tourney's purpose is to find a bride for the cursed prince of Palinar. Lily and Sophie and Celine join 9 other princesses who are forced to do their best or bad things will happen. ...more
Annette
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know what it is with me lately, but I'm totally in the mood for books like this. It always takes me a few chapters to get into the new story, to get used to the new point of view character and the new setting, but once I'm in it, I just can't stop reading anymore. It's a pity that in between reading, I also have work to do.

And this story was absolutely and truly wonderful! Lily is an amazing character. She's brave and strong. She is kind and gentle and compassionate. She is
Krous Leocadio
DNF 65%

Sorry, I tried, but I just couldn't force myself to continue to read this lame book with superficial characters and the same old clichés present in every fucking YA Readers can't take anymore, why writers continue to write the same thing over and over again??

Special Snowflakes Liliana and your twin sister, Sophie, arrive at Marin on the same day the lame Torney that will decide which of the twelve princesses will marry to a horrible prince.

The rest of the story you can guess if you
Leah Good
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think I'm hooked on Melanie Cellier stories. After listening to A Tale of Beauty and Beast, book two of this series, I knew I wanted to read the other books. (I'm a little sad that Hoopla does not seem to have the series that appears to precede this one--I'd read/listen to them in order--but I'll worry about that later.

A Dance of Silver and Shadow is a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses. But what if the twelve princesses were required to enter the enchanted kingdom instead of
Tracy (Cornerfolds)
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read more of my reviews at Cornerfolds.com!

I find it amusing that I had never read a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses prior to this year and now I have read two. Thankfully, both were very different and A Dance of Silver and Shadow was wholly unique and I enjoyed it so much!

Princess Lily and her twin have sailed to Marin in hopes of forging alliances with other kingdoms and just happen to arrive on the day that a magical tournament is set to begin - a tournament that will end with the
Phyllis
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Melanie Cellier cannot write fast enough for me. I have consumed every book she has written and love the way she puts such interesting twists on the classic fairy tales. If you don't remember the details of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, I suggest you take a couple minutes and read it before reading this book. This link has the full story - it is super short and easy to read quickly. Yeah, I know because part-way through I decided that a refresher would be a good idea.

Not only is the
Coralie
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Okay, where has this book been all my life?! Disclaimer, I love the 12 Dancing Princesses. It's one of my favorite fairy tales, and I am totally a fairy tale girl. This book, this lovely, beautiful, well-written, intriguing, and masterfully crafted book has completely stolen my heart. I mean, I'm head over heals right now. This may be my favorite book of the year.

I have read and watched several versions of the 12 Dancing Princesses, but never one quite like this. I loved how the classic fairy
Tricia Mingerink
I was craving a fairy tale retelling, and I'd heard about Melanie Cellier from several of my friends and authors I follow online, so when I saw she had two of her books on Audible, then I knew I had to give them a try.

I'm so glad I did! I flew threw this book and couldn't stop listening! I'm starting in the second series of her connected world, so there was a lot of the backstory of the Four Kingdoms I was missing, but this book does a good enough job standing on its own that I was able to
J.M. Stengl
One problem with retellings of this particular story is how to give twelve different princesses their own distinct identities and still have room to develop one central heroine and give her a hero worth having. Not to mention creating a believable scenario and gripping plot to keep a reader glued to the page.
Well, this author has succeeded for sure! I loved having three princesses we already know (from earlier stories) immersed in the drama of a princess tournament--with no choice in the
Nari--MedievalPrincess
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Dance of Silver and Shadow is a whole new retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses. I thought it would be like same as Princess of Midnight Ball like there are twelve sisters and they have to dance till midnight because of King Understone or something like that. But when I read this it was so different and interesting. I found many parts the same like silver leaves, (the author added gold and diamond leaves too) the boats, the underground castle, the invisible cloak, etc. But it was pretty ...more
Mummy's Naughty Corner
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Olivia Clark
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omgggggg. I love retellings so much and this one has me in tears. I loved this book so much and I’m glad I was able to come across it.
Camille
It’s so fun to once again immerse myself in Melanie Cellier’s well-developed fairy tale world. In this series, we move beyond the four kingdoms to explore new realms through more creative interpretations of well-beloved tales. A Dance of Silver and Shadow was an incredibly fresh and unique take on “The Twelve Dancing Princesses” that I found thoroughly gripping.

Princess Liliana (Lily) and her twin sister Sophia (Sophie) of Arcadia— the two adorable princesses from The Princess Companion— have
H.S.J. Williams
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The twin princesses, Lilly and Sophie, from Book 1 of the precious series, are all grown up and off on their own adventure! And what an adventure indeed! Although the previous series had its share of peril, this book sets a darker edge as 12 princesses are forced into a “Hunger-Gamesesque” like tourney to become the bride of a mysterious prince known as the Beast. It was probably one of the cleverest setups to retell the “The Twelve Dancing Princesses” that I have seen.

I was not a fan of the
Amelia Eckert
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the reason we got E-Books...
the way the author writes about the sisters is really moving.
having my own sister, I found this book great.
and will read it over and over again.
Eleanor Eckert.
James
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Dance of Silver and Shadow by Melanie Cellier 5 Stars

Lily and Sophie are princesses of Arcadia. When a emissary from a kingdom across the sea appears in the harbor they jump at the chance to see new lands. They’re joined by Celine as they head to these new kingdoms. Things in the Duchy of Marin are not what the young princesses expected, though. As unmarried princesses Celine, Sophie and Lily are magically forced into a tournament to be the Princess betrothed to the prince of a cursed kingdom.
Stephani Austin
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word!!!

This was my first foray into the series, and I couldn’t put it down! So excited it turned out like I hoped, and can’t wait to get my hands on the next book because Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale. I loved the reappearance of the godmothers too!
Raquel Evans
I really enjoyed this book. It's well written and has great characters, and impressively distinctive characters considering how many there are. (Am I the only one hoping that Daisy gets her own story someday?)

I would recommend this book for anyone who likes fairy tale type stories or retellings, but especially those who loved The Two Princesses of Bamarre.
Lizzy
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this story, and the audiobook is fantastically done.
Grant
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It has enough worldbuilding to draw me in without bogging down the story. It stay true to the original fairy tail without being overly bound by it. It hints at a larger world and other recognizable tales in a way that make me want to learn more.
April
Loved it! Cannot wait till Sophie’s story releases at the end of the month, (Beauty and the Beast)!!! Cellier also left me with a high anticipation for the rest of the series! So many curious plugs/characters in this one that I cannot wait to see their stories unfold. ...more
Fanaticmama
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun little book. Love fairytales! This one is good because it also speaks to the love of twin sisters. Lots of good twists and turns in the book. Excited to read the next book.
Lexie
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was by far one of more imaginative retellings of The Twelve Dancing Princesses that I've read. I haven't read Callier's Four Kingdoms novels (the quartet that precedes this book and features how they overcame the darkness), so I was a little lost at times when prior events were mentioned, but overall it read well as the start of a new series.

I quite liked Lily and Sophie, as well as Jon and Daisy and Celine. Really many of them intrigued me.

I have a feeling after the next book (based around
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A Bear's Bride (Entwined Tales, #3)
  • A Goose Girl (Entwined Tales, #1)
  • An Unnatural Beanstalk (Entwined Tales, #2)
  • A Beautiful Curse (Entwined Tales, #4)
  • A Little Mermaid (Entwined Tales, #5)
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • Identity (The Kingdom Chronicles, #3)
  • Spelled (The Kingdom Chronicles, #2)
  • Snow White (Timeless Fairy Tales, #11)
  • Reflection (The Kingdom Chronicles, #4)
  • Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • Reign of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #3)
  • The Little Selkie (Timeless Fairy Tales, #5)
  • The Frog Prince (Timeless Fairy Tales, #9)
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses  (Timeless Fairy Tales, #10)
  • The Wild Swans (Timeless Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Puss in Boots (Timeless Fairy Tales, #6)
  • Goldheart (Andari Chronicles, #2)
Melanie Cellier grew up on a staple diet of books, books and more books. And although she got older, she never stopped loving children’s and young adult novels. She always wanted to write one herself, but it took three careers and three different continents before she actually managed it.

She now feels incredibly fortunate to spend her time writing from her home in Adelaide, Australia where she

Beyond the Four Kingdoms (6 books)
  • A Tale of Beauty and Beast: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #2)
  • A Crown of Snow and Ice: A Retelling of The Snow Queen (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #3)
  • A Dream of Ebony and White: A Retelling of Snow White (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #5)
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #6)
“I’m Princess Daisy.” 2 likes