Start by marking “A Dance of Silver and Shadow (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Dance of Silver and Shadow (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #1)

A Dance of Silver and Shadow

(Beyond the Four Kingdoms #1)

When Princess Liliana and her twin sister set sail for new lands, Lily hopes to find adventure and romance. But the people of Marin live under the shadow of a curse—one powerful enough to destroy entire kingdoms. To protect them all, Lily and eleven other princesses are forced to participate in a mysterious and secret tournament.

Lily spends her nights competing in a magica
Published September 4th 2017 by Luminant Publications

To ask other readers questions about A Dance of Silver and Shadow, please sign up.
Kim Gregory I would read this series in order, starting with The Four Kingdoms and then going on to Beyond the Four Kingdoms. You meet some of the characters more…moreI would read this series in order, starting with The Four Kingdoms and then going on to Beyond the Four Kingdoms. You meet some of the characters more than once in different stories.(less)

Jessie
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gripping!

The Twelve Dancing Princesses is one of my favorite fairytales. I've read several adaptions of it, but I never expected such a fresh take on the story!

In this case, twelve princesses are forced into the princess tourney. By old law and magic, they must compete in tasks to determine who will be the Beast of Palinar's bride. None of them want to win, but they are in danger if they do not try.

I loved the eeriness of the competitions, the mysterious darkness overtaking the land, and the swe
Tèo Sip
Feb 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
What kingdom is naive enough to send three of their princesses to an unknown land to marry them off? They should have sent some representatives/spies/scouts to collect proper information about this mysterious land beforehand (It’s just common sense!!!). Or at least have guards accompanied the princesses for god’s sake!
Moreover, I cannot believe how poorly this mysterious land treats the princesses: bossing the princesses around without giving any explanation, forcing and pulling them out of thei
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Beyond the Four Kingdoms series by Melanie Cellier. Princess Liliana aka Lily and her sister, Sophia aka Sophie, of Arcadia, travel to the Duchy of Marin, along with Princess Celine of Lanover, only to discover the day they arrive they are forced to participate in the Princess Tourney. The Tourney's purpose is to find a bride for the cursed prince of Palinar. Lily and Sophie and Celine join 9 other princesses who are forced to do their best or bad things will happen. Meanwh ...more
Annette
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know what it is with me lately, but I'm totally in the mood for books like this. It always takes me a few chapters to get into the new story, to get used to the new point of view character and the new setting, but once I'm in it, I just can't stop reading anymore. It's a pity that in between reading, I also have work to do.

And this story was absolutely and truly wonderful! Lily is an amazing character. She's brave and strong. She is kind and gentle and compassionate. She is intell
H.S.J. Williams
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The twin princesses, Lilly and Sophie, from Book 1 of the precious series, are all grown up and off on their own adventure! And what an adventure indeed! Although the previous series had its share of peril, this book sets a darker edge as 12 princesses are forced into a “Hunger-Gamesesque” like tourney to become the bride of a mysterious prince known as the Beast. It was probably one of the cleverest setups to retell the “The Twelve Dancing Princesses” that I have seen.

I was not a fan of the ro
Krous Leocadio
DNF 65%

Sorry, I tried, but I just couldn't force myself to continue to read this lame book with superficial characters and the same old clichés present in every fucking YA Readers can't take anymore, why writers continue to write the same thing over and over again??

Special Snowflakes Liliana and your twin sister, Sophie, arrive at Marin on the same day the lame Torney that will decide which of the twelve princesses will marry to a horrible prince.

The rest of the story you can guess if you re
Phyllis
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!  Melanie Cellier cannot write fast enough for me.  I have consumed every book she has written and love the way she puts such interesting twists on the classic fairy tales.  If you don't remember the details of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, I suggest you take a couple minutes and read it before reading this book.  This link has the full story - it is super short and easy to read quickly.  Yeah, I know because part-way through I decided that a refresher would be a good idea.

Not only is t
Tricia Mingerink
I was craving a fairy tale retelling, and I'd heard about Melanie Cellier from several of my friends and authors I follow online, so when I saw she had two of her books on Audible, then I knew I had to give them a try.

I'm so glad I did! I flew threw this book and couldn't stop listening! I'm starting in the second series of her connected world, so there was a lot of the backstory of the Four Kingdoms I was missing, but this book does a good enough job standing on its own that I was able to foll
J.M. Stengl
One problem with retellings of this particular story is how to give twelve different princesses their own distinct identities and still have room to develop one central heroine and give her a hero worth having. Not to mention creating a believable scenario and gripping plot to keep a reader glued to the page.
Well, this author has succeeded for sure! I loved having three princesses we already know (from earlier stories) immersed in the drama of a princess tournament--with no choice in the matter-
Amber Stokes
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book
Audiobook Review

This is my first experience with a Melanie Cellier story, but even coming to her work fresh, I loved the portrayals of the kingdoms beyond the realm of her first series. It was fun to picture the story world, to see hints at different fairy tales in the other royals, and to "watch" Lily and her twin sister, Sophie, face the completely unexpected (with no way around it) Princess Tourney. The "always something about to happen" plot helped make this a fascinating listen, and I reall
Tracy (Cornerfolds)
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read more of my reviews at Cornerfolds.com!

I find it amusing that I had never read a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses prior to this year and now I have read two. Thankfully, both were very different and A Dance of Silver and Shadow was wholly unique and I enjoyed it so much!

Princess Lily and her twin have sailed to Marin in hopes of forging alliances with other kingdoms and just happen to arrive on the day that a magical tournament is set to begin - a tournament that will end with the
Camille
It’s so fun to once again immerse myself in Melanie Cellier’s well-developed fairy tale world. In this series, we move beyond the four kingdoms to explore new realms through more creative interpretations of well-beloved tales. A Dance of Silver and Shadow was an incredibly fresh and unique take on “The Twelve Dancing Princesses” that I found thoroughly gripping.

Princess Liliana (Lily) and her twin sister Sophia (Sophie) of Arcadia— the two adorable princesses from The Princess Companion— have n
Merie Shen
This book is so beautiful, it is a wonder that I haven't thought to review it until now... oh wait, now I remember why. It's because words simply cannot express my profound astonishment at reading this... and yes, I am being melodramatic, because why ever not? It's worth it. Melanie Cellier's books are so worth it.
Read this book, please, just for the sake of my heart. Actually no, go back and read all of Melanie Cellier's Four Kingdoms series before you start this one, as Beyond the Four Kingd
Amelia Eckert
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the reason we got E-Books...
the way the author writes about the sisters is really moving.
having my own sister, I found this book great.
and will read it over and over again.
Eleanor Eckert.
Stephani Austin
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word!!!

This was my first foray into the series, and I couldn’t put it down! So excited it turned out like I hoped, and can’t wait to get my hands on the next book because Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale. I loved the reappearance of the godmothers too!
Raquel Evans
I really enjoyed this book. It's well written and has great characters, and impressively distinctive characters considering how many there are. (Am I the only one hoping that Daisy gets her own story someday?)

I would recommend this book for anyone who likes fairy tale type stories or retellings, but especially those who loved The Two Princesses of Bamarre.
HazelNut
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this story, and the audiobook is fantastically done.
April
Loved it! Cannot wait till Sophie’s story releases at the end of the month, (Beauty and the Beast)!!! Cellier also left me with a high anticipation for the rest of the series! So many curious plugs/characters in this one that I cannot wait to see their stories unfold. ...more
Lexie
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was by far one of more imaginative retellings of The Twelve Dancing Princesses that I've read. I haven't read Callier's Four Kingdoms novels (the quartet that precedes this book and features how they overcame the darkness), so I was a little lost at times when prior events were mentioned, but overall it read well as the start of a new series.

I quite liked Lily and Sophie, as well as Jon and Daisy and Celine. Really many of them intrigued me.

I have a feeling after the next book (based around
Coralie
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Okay, where has this book been all my life?! Disclaimer, I love the 12 Dancing Princesses. It's one of my favorite fairy tales, and I am totally a fairy tale girl. This book, this lovely, beautiful, well-written, intriguing, and masterfully crafted book has completely stolen my heart. I mean, I'm head over heals right now. This may be my favorite book of the year.

I have read and watched several versions of the 12 Dancing Princesses, but never one quite like this. I loved how the classic fairy ta
Bethany
3.5 Stars
Overall an excellent retelling of the 12 dancing princesses. I loved the concept of a tournament along with the balls. So on that merit alone I would recommend this story. The tournament is interesting, the reasoning behind it a bit cliche but it works for a fairy tale based story. And there was even a little bit of politics.
What didn't work so well for me and which brought the book down a little bit was the romance between Lily and Jon, not that it was a bad romance. There was no love
Ireen
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book just did not do it for me. The first pages were far from gripping and I found that a lot of the book droned on about politics and kingdoms (which I could hardly keep track of) and it was really hard to pay attention. Furthermore, the romance between Lily and Jon was SO sudden. The prince was giving off some creepy vibes (who says "I chose the twin with fire in her eyes" to someone you JUST met? And a princess too! So gross.) The writing style wasn't exactly my cup of tea. The descripti ...more
Angi Naerebout
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Now the twins Lily and Sophie are almost 18 and wow do they get an adventure. After the Monarch Trials of course there would be Princess Trials. The books are getting better. Now their world has gotten even bigger with the addition of 6 lost kingdoms that came from the Old Four Kingdoms. I’m so excited for more! I’m curious if Frederic will get his chance since the twins and Celine are in the new world and there are already enough princes there... and he is quite a bit older... Anyhow, this is a ...more
Eleanor M.
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Time for the twins to shine, in this retelling of the 12 dancing princess.
THE DANCE OF SILVER AND SHADOW where the princess Liliana and her twin find themselves fighting for a crown and their lives, but who will lose and who will give themselves up to a unknowable fate in a darkened kingdom that is guarded by wild animals.
my sister and I loved this book and can't wait to read more.
by Eleanor M. Eckert

Lisa Dawn
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Dance of Silver and Shadow: A Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses is the first book in the Beyond The Four Kingdoms series. It takes place a few years after the events of The Four Kingdoms and is told from the perspective of Lily, one of the twins that Alyssa took care of in The Princess Companion. It turns out that Lily and her sister Sophie secretly have a telepathic link with each other that they received from a fairy godmother at birth that allows them to talk to each other in their ...more
Catherine
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Denae Christine
Reader thoughts: So good! The characters had strong motivations and interesting personalities. I loved the magic and talents and twisted blessings and the pour cursed tournament. I loved the allusions to a higher magic or higher power, and I want to know more about this high king and his laws about marrying for love and not politics. Neat idea.

Lilly and Sophie were such great sisters. I love that they could project their thoughts to each other but not spy on each other's thoughts. They had quite
Morgan
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm all for a fairy tale retelling with a clean romance and perhaps some Christian elements tossed in -this book was just the ticket! The entire Four Kingdoms series and Beyond the Four Kingdoms books are gems. Both series of books are stand-alone stories, but if you read them together (and in order) it tells a larger, over-arcing story. Minor characters in one tale will become key players in another, and you'll see how your favorites from a previous book are fairing in a sequel.

Admittedly, I w
Megan
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Since this was tagged as Book One in a series, I didn't realize when I started to read it that it was a "spin-off" of an earlier series. As a result, I was a latecomer to the main characters (who seemed to have been minor characters in an earlier story) and the worldbuilding. Both felt rushed and underwritten to me, but some of that may have been mitigated if I had begun at the proper start of the series.

The set-up for the story - Twin princesses Lily and Sophie, along with their friend Princess
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Twelve Dancing Princesses  (Timeless Fairy Tales, #10)
  • A Bear's Bride (Entwined Tales, #3)
  • A Beautiful Curse: A Retelling of The Frog Bride (Entwined Tales, #4)
  • Atone (A Fairytale Trilogy, #2)
  • Beauty and Beastly (Steampunk Fairy Tales: Beauty and the Beast, #1)
  • Once Upon a Happy Ending: An Anthology of Reimagined Fairy Tales
  • The Green-Eyed Prince (The Classical Kingdoms, #0.5)
  • Moon Dance (Tales of the Latter Kingdoms, #8)
  • A Blind Eye
  • Fated: Cinderella's Story (Destined, #1)
  • The Spinner and the Slipper
  • To Save and Protect: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • First Daughter (Royals of Dharia, #3)
Melanie Cellier grew up on a staple diet of books, books and more books. And although she got older, she never stopped loving children’s and young adult novels. She always wanted to write one herself, but it took three careers and three different continents before she actually managed it.

She now feels incredibly fortunate to spend her time writing from her home in Adelaide, Australia where she ke

Beyond the Four Kingdoms (5 books)
  • A Tale of Beauty and Beast (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #2)
  • A Crown of Snow and Ice: A Retelling of The Snow Queen (Beyond the Four Kingdoms #3)
  • A Dream of Ebony and White: A Retelling of Snow White (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms Book 5)