Start by marking “A Dance of Silver and Shadow: A Retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #1)” as Want to Read:

A Dance of Silver and Shadow: A Retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses

(Beyond the Four Kingdoms #1)

When Princess Liliana and her twin sister set sail for new lands, Lily hopes to find adventure and romance. But the people of Marin live under the shadow of a curse—one powerful enough to destroy entire kingdoms. To protect them all, Lily and eleven other princesses are forced to participate in a mysterious and secret tournament.

Lily spends her nights competing in a magica
Published September 4th 2017 by Luminant Publications

To ask other readers questions about A Dance of Silver and Shadow, please sign up.
Dorcas No this series definitely needs to be read in order. It's set in a different world and also in the past I think. The first book is The Princess Compan…moreNo this series definitely needs to be read in order. It's set in a different world and also in the past I think. The first book is The Princess Companion. Followed by The Princess Fugitive.

I'm not saying it not possible to read them out of order, but they just wouldn't make much/enough sense to fully grasp the entire book.(less)
Liberty There is a whole lot of romance in this book and others in the series.
…more
There is a whole lot of romance in this book and others in the series.
(less)

Start your review of A Dance of Silver and Shadow: A Retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #1)
Amanda Hupe
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have been spending too much money on audiobooks recently, so I decided to give the app, Libby a try. I love it. It connects to your library card and there are many electronic ebooks and audiobooks available. I found A Dance of Silver and Shadow by Melanie Cellier, narrated by Esther Wane on Libby and I was immediately drawn to the cover. It is gorgeous. AND it is a fairytale retelling. Not just any fairytale, it is a 12 Dancing Princesses retelling. That is one of my favorite fairytales and I ...more
Coralie
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Okay, where has this book been all my life?! Disclaimer, I love the 12 Dancing Princesses. It's one of my favorite fairy tales, and I am totally a fairy tale girl. This book, this lovely, beautiful, well-written, intriguing, and masterfully crafted book has completely stolen my heart. I mean, I'm head over heals right now. This may be my favorite book of the year.

I have read and watched several versions of the 12 Dancing Princesses, but never one quite like this. I loved how the classic fairy ta
Jessie
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gripping!

The Twelve Dancing Princesses is one of my favorite fairytales. I've read several adaptions of it, but I never expected such a fresh take on the story!

In this case, twelve princesses are forced into the princess tourney. By old law and magic, they must compete in tasks to determine who will be the Beast of Palinar's bride. None of them want to win, but they are in danger if they do not try.

I loved the eeriness of the competitions, the mysterious darkness overtaking the land, and the swe
Merie Shen
This book is so beautiful, it is a wonder that I haven't thought to review it until now... oh wait, now I remember why. It's because words simply cannot express my profound astonishment at reading this... and yes, I am being melodramatic, because why ever not? It's worth it.

Melanie Cellier's books are so worth it.

Read this book, please, just for the sake of my heart. Actually no, go back and read all of Melanie Cellier's Four Kingdoms series before you start this one, as Beyond the Four Kingdo
Alaina
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have never heard of the story about The Twelve Dancing Princesses. I swear on my life and my fur babies, Jackson and Bailey. Now after listening to this really adorable book, I'm down to dive into the twelve princesses. No idea where I will find it but I will eventually track it down and devour it.

A Dance of Silver and Shadow was a really nice retelling to dive into. Probably would've made a bit more sense to me if I listened or read this while doing on the Disney challenges in my group (these
Amanda Hupe
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carous
DNF 65%

Sorry, I tried, but I just couldn't force myself to continue to read this lame book with superficial characters and the same old clichés present in every fucking YA Readers can't take anymore, why writers continue to write the same thing over and over again??

Special Snowflakes Liliana and your twin sister, Sophie, arrive at Marin on the same day the lame Torney that will decide which of the twelve princesses will marry to a horrible prince.

The rest of the story you can guess if you re
Camille
It’s so fun to once again immerse myself in Melanie Cellier’s well-developed fairy tale world. In this series, we move beyond the four kingdoms to explore new realms through more creative interpretations of well-beloved tales. A Dance of Silver and Shadow was an incredibly fresh and unique take on “The Twelve Dancing Princesses” that I found thoroughly gripping.

Princess Liliana (Lily) and her twin sister Sophia (Sophie) of Arcadia— the two adorable princesses from The Princess Companion— have n
Tèo Sip
Feb 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
What kingdom is naive enough to send three of their princesses to an unknown land to marry them off? They should have sent some representatives/spies/scouts to collect proper information about this mysterious land beforehand (It’s just common sense!!!). Or at least have guards accompanied the princesses for god’s sake!
Moreover, I cannot believe how poorly this mysterious land treats the princesses: bossing the princesses around without giving any explanation, forcing and pulling them out of thei
Emma
Although it was a little slow for me to get into the first part of the book, the ending more than made up for it. This book was beautiful and I enjoyed it a lot!! I love the two sister’s in this one, Lily and Sophie, and their devotion and unselfish love for each other. It was beautiful and that ending actually brought tears to my eyes. I think I would have understood the kingdoms a little better if I had’ve started with the Four Kingdoms series and that is probably the reason it was a little sl ...more
Megan
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Since this was tagged as Book One in a series, I didn't realize when I started to read it that it was a "spin-off" of an earlier series. As a result, I was a latecomer to the main characters (who seemed to have been minor characters in an earlier story) and the worldbuilding. Both felt rushed and underwritten to me, but some of that may have been mitigated if I had begun at the proper start of the series.

The set-up for the story - Twin princesses Lily and Sophie, along with their friend Princess
Tricia Mingerink
I was craving a fairy tale retelling, and I'd heard about Melanie Cellier from several of my friends and authors I follow online, so when I saw she had two of her books on Audible, then I knew I had to give them a try.

I'm so glad I did! I flew threw this book and couldn't stop listening! I'm starting in the second series of her connected world, so there was a lot of the backstory of the Four Kingdoms I was missing, but this book does a good enough job standing on its own that I was able to foll
Gretchen
DNF. This is great clean YA for young fantasy /fairytale readers but it’s not for me.
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Beyond the Four Kingdoms series by Melanie Cellier. Princess Liliana aka Lily and her sister, Sophia aka Sophie, of Arcadia, travel to the Duchy of Marin, along with Princess Celine of Lanover, only to discover the day they arrive they are forced to participate in the Princess Tourney. The Tourney's purpose is to find a bride for the cursed prince of Palinar. Lily and Sophie and Celine join 9 other princesses who are forced to do their best or bad things will happen. Meanwh ...more
Tracy (Cornerfolds)
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read more of my reviews at Cornerfolds.com!

I find it amusing that I had never read a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses prior to this year and now I have read two. Thankfully, both were very different and A Dance of Silver and Shadow was wholly unique and I enjoyed it so much!

Princess Lily and her twin have sailed to Marin in hopes of forging alliances with other kingdoms and just happen to arrive on the day that a magical tournament is set to begin - a tournament that will end with the
Carina  Shephard
Previous review: “Hopefully in the future I will be able to get my hands on a ebook/paperback version and really experience this story like it deserves.”

Well, I did, because through tomorrow (3/25) this is free on Kindle!! I was so stoked to read this (actually read it, not just attempt to listen to an audiobook) and my excitement was justified.

This is a great retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses (one of my favorite fairytales, eep!)! It retains a lot of the elements of the original (espec
Kendra Ardnek
Creative and unique twist on 12DP - having it as a contest building towards B&B was a pretty neat premise.

Unfortunately, it did suffer for its attempt to establish plotlines for the rest of the series. I never felt like it was focused on itself, and knowing the next book's premise and description ruined the tension of who would win the contest + two of the other upcoming books were very clearly laid out, and I find myself rather missing the subtlety of the previous series.

Also, I'm beginning to
Kacie
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the third retelling of the twelve dancing princesses I've read. I think this is my favorite:p ...more
Katie
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If only you could see the tears.......somehow I knew it was going to end like that........

I did not expect to love this book sooooo much (I knw I said I've loved all the other books). This one just seemed so special. Unlike the other books in the Four Kingdoms series, this one just seemed to different. The bond and love of sisterhood was so strong in this book that I found myself comparing Lily and Sophie's sisterhood to my own with my three younger sisters. I loved how the story was a retelling
Annette
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know what it is with me lately, but I'm totally in the mood for books like this. It always takes me a few chapters to get into the new story, to get used to the new point of view character and the new setting, but once I'm in it, I just can't stop reading anymore. It's a pity that in between reading, I also have work to do.

And this story was absolutely and truly wonderful! Lily is an amazing character. She's brave and strong. She is kind and gentle and compassionate. She is intell
Deanie Nelder
Jun 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
When twin Princesses Lily and Sophie (and their friend Princess Celine) set off on with their country's ambassadors on a diplomatic mission to a new land, they had no idea they would get pulled into a magical competition, the "Princess Tourney," to choose the bride for Prince Dominic of Palinar. Forced by magic to compete in a series of tasks, the twelve princesses risk life and limb in a contest that no one actually wants to win.

Melanie Cellier writes beautifully, and her fairy tale retellings
Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
review coming soon
Leah Good
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think I'm hooked on Melanie Cellier stories. After listening to A Tale of Beauty and Beast, book two of this series, I knew I wanted to read the other books. (I'm a little sad that Hoopla does not seem to have the series that appears to precede this one--I'd read/listen to them in order--but I'll worry about that later.

A Dance of Silver and Shadow is a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses. But what if the twelve princesses were required to enter the enchanted kingdom instead of forbidden
Phyllis
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!  Melanie Cellier cannot write fast enough for me.  I have consumed every book she has written and love the way she puts such interesting twists on the classic fairy tales.  If you don't remember the details of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, I suggest you take a couple minutes and read it before reading this book.  This link has the full story - it is super short and easy to read quickly.  Yeah, I know because part-way through I decided that a refresher would be a good idea.

Not only is t
H.S.J. Williams
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The twin princesses, Lilly and Sophie, from Book 1 of the precious series, are all grown up and off on their own adventure! And what an adventure indeed! Although the previous series had its share of peril, this book sets a darker edge as 12 princesses are forced into a “Hunger-Gamesesque” like tourney to become the bride of a mysterious prince known as the Beast. It was probably one of the cleverest setups to retell the “The Twelve Dancing Princesses” that I have seen.

I was not a fan of the ro
J.M. Stengl
One problem with retellings of this particular story is how to give twelve different princesses their own distinct identities and still have room to develop one central heroine and give her a hero worth having. Not to mention creating a believable scenario and gripping plot to keep a reader glued to the page.
Well, this author has succeeded for sure! I loved having three princesses we already know (from earlier stories) immersed in the drama of a princess tournament--with no choice in the matter-
Stefania Ganeva
Nov 04, 2022 rated it really liked it
This book is SO underrated when it's so interesting. It's a really cute fantasy with a really cute romance and sisterly love. It says that it's a retelling of the 12 dancing princesses but it wasn't quite like that.
Okay so Lily and her twin sister Sophie are twin princesses of the kingdom Arcadia and along with their friend princess Celine of Landovier they travel to a new dutchy they have never heard of. (I didn't really understand it but our main character is from a kingdom where there are fou
Mummy's Naughty Corner
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sydney Winward
Apr 02, 2022 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! This is my first introduction to Melanie Cellier. I liked the author's style of writing as well as the thrilling adventure she took us on as the story unfurled. I didn't quite believe the romance between the main characters, especially on Lily's end. But I did think their scenes were sweet. I'm looking forward to reading book 2 in this series to find out what happens next! ...more

• Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • An Unnatural Beanstalk (Entwined Tales, #2)
  • Spelled (The Kingdom Chronicles, #2)
  • Identity (The Kingdom Chronicles #3)
  • A Goose Girl (Entwined Tales, #1)
  • Reflection (The Kingdom Chronicles, #4)
  • A Little Mermaid (Entwined Tales, #5)
  • A Beautiful Curse (Entwined Tales, #4)
  • A Bear's Bride (Entwined Tales, #3)
  • Traitor's Masque (Andari Chronicles, #1)
  • Pirouette (Andari Chronicles, #3)
  • Shadow and Thorn (Andari Chronicles, #4)
  • Goldheart (Andari Chronicles, #2)
  • Daughter of Lies (Andari Chronicles, #5)
  • Enchantment (The Kingdom Chronicles, #5)
  • Greybrow Serpent (Silver and Orchids, #2)
  • Cinder Ellie (Faraway Castle, #0.5)
  • Path of Secrets (Andari Chronicles, #6)
Melanie Cellier grew up on a staple diet of books, books and more books. And although she got older, she never stopped loving children’s and young adult novels.
 She always wanted to write one herself, but it took three careers and three different continents before she actually managed it.

She now feels incredibly fortunate to spend her time writing from her home in Adelaide, Australia where she

Beyond the Four Kingdoms (6 books)
  • A Tale of Beauty and Beast: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #2)
  • A Crown of Snow and Ice: A Retelling of The Snow Queen (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #3)
  • A Dream of Ebony and White: A Retelling of Snow White (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #5)
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #6)