Start by marking “Swan Song” as Want to Read:
Swan Song

Swan Song

LOVE AND LONGING IN THE BRIGHT LIGHTS OF LONDON

When iconic ballerina Beatrice Duvall died, a nation mourned – and a legacy was born. Sixteen years later, her daughter Ava comes to London to take part in a high-profile tribute to Beatrice, and to learn about the mother she never knew.

There’s just one snag: the tribute is a ballet, Swan Lake. Which is infinitely painful for
Published September 12th 2017 by Heaven Afire

To ask other readers questions about Swan Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swan Song

Start your review of Swan Song
Kathy - Books & Munches
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s, read-in-2017
During the first chapter you're immediately drawn in. The vibe that something's off lures you in and even after you discovered what it is, you're still intrigued.
Intrigued by Ava, intrigued by Seb. I liked both those characters. Although Ava's struggle with dancing got on my nerves a bit, I did get where she was coming from and that made it alright to handle. As for Seb, he felt so genuine and was really easy to like!

I loved how Wilson painted London so vividly. I've been there a couple of times
Erin  Koiso
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sixteen year old Ava Hadley has always lived in the shadow of her mother, Royal Ballet Principal ballerina Beatrice Duvall. It’s been sixteen years since her mother passed away, and she is now in London to represent her family at high profile tribute to Beatrice. Ava realizes that this trip will give her the opportunity to learn more about the mother she has never known. But she isn’t quite sure what London will bring.

Upon arrival in London she is meant to stay with her mother’s best friend, Thi
Charlotte Lynn
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was so excited for another Charlotte Wilson book. I knew before I even picked up the book that this would be a unique story different from her other releases and I couldn’t wait to jump into the story.

The dancer storyline had my heart crying. To have something be part of your soul for so long and then to walk away without looking back would be heart breaking. The Swan Song is the story of Ava, daughter of renowned ballet dancer Beatrice DuVall. Yet, Ava has chosen to stop dancing… in all form
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Ava had come back to London, to get reacquainted not only with the city, but with the memories of her past, her mother’s past. Beatrice Duvall was a renowned ballerina admired by a whole nation, until the day she died. Now Ava Hadley was to honor her mom’s legacy through a tribute, the Swan Lake. But Ava couldn’t take part in the ballet, not now, not anymore… because Ava could no longer dance.. she couldn’t.. she wouldn’t.

Swan Song is a coming of age story of love, denial, acceptance, longing, f
Cheryl
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This story starts out with Ava traveling to London for the tribute of her mother. As the story progresses I slowly am provided an insight look into who Ava's mother was. While, I enjoyed that the story started out in the present, it did not help some as it took me a while to form a connection with Ava and the story. The biggest reason is because I did not fully understand the huge influence that Ava's mother's death had on her as well as Ava's passion for dance.

Sebastian (Seb) was good. I liked
Meggan Turner
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much more than I ever expected. It has such a beautiful message of love, loss and life within its pages it was wonderful. I loved the characters, and the portrayal of remembering someone you've lost, and how hard it can be. It was so brilliantly written. I loved this book so much.

FULL REVIEW: https://betweenthepages13.wordpress.c...
Tonja Drecker
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, heart-felt, tear jerking read.

Ava is the daughter of a ballet icon, who died at her birth. The father is loving but has struggled deeply with the loss the entire sixteen years of Ava's life. Ava tried to walk in her mother's footsteps—and she loves to dance—but decided to walk away from the Royal Ballet. Now, she returns to London to assist in a show, a tribute to her mother. Along the way, Ava hopes to find the mother she never knew, but walls are thick, especially those Ava built
Joanne Sim
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Original review can be found on my blog at this link:

I would like to give a huge thank you to the author, Charlotte, for giving me the opportunity to read her amazing novel in exchange for an honest review. 😀

First thing first, wow… This novel takes my breath away. It is so different from any of the other novels I’ve read so far. Swan Song focuses more on Ava and her overcoming the struggles she face with dancing, family, and love. This novel is definitely a hidden gem.

Swan Song is so well writ
BethLee
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I RECIEVED THIS BOOK FROM THE AUTHOR IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. THIS DOES NOT AFFECT MY VIEWS OR OPINIONS IN ANY WAY.

Swan Song by Charlotte Wilson is a beautiful novel about loss and dance.

Ava was a dancer until her mother died. Her mother was the one and only ballerina Beatrice Duvall. When Ava is offered the chance to remember her mom through a production of Swan Lake, the ballet she was in, she has to take it. Follow Ava as she grieves on her trip to London.

First of all, I am sorry tha
TDCbookreviews
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: charlotte-wilson
Ava Hadley had a bright future ahead of her as a ballet dancer, but she has given up on her dream and no one quite knows why. Now she is in London for a tribute to her mother, famous ballerina Beatrice DuVall, and to find some connection to her mother whom died when Ava was only nine days old. While in London, Ava is staying with her mother's old room mate,Thisbie, and her son, Seb. Immediately Ava feels a connection with both and to London itself, but how can that be if she's never even been th ...more
Ella (The Story Collector)
Beatrice Duvall was an iconic and beloved ballerina. When she died, the nation mourned. Sixteen years later, her daughter Ava returns to London for a tribute performance, and to learn about the mother she never had the chance to know. Running the streets of London with her new friend Seb, Ava discovers unexpected things about her mother, and even more about herself.

This is a lovely story about self-discovery and romance. The romantic aspect is actually quite gentle; Swan Song is mainly about Ava
Jo
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'll tell you straightaway, this book is delightful.  A really well crafted story of a young girl struggling to find a connection to her dead mother.  And even if you haven't experienced what Ava has, the author's writing just breathes the loss to life, initially in an intentionally detached manner, but as the story progresses, in a far more emotionally provoking manner.

And so often with stories involving teens, their behaviour isn't age appropriate, as they often seem more mature than their yea
Melanie Adkins
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ava is about to take a trip she'd been dreaming of. She wanted to go to London to learn more about her mother. When her father was contacted by people planning to honor her mother, her date agrees to let her go.

Honest, raw and enlightening. Ms. Wilson captures Ava's life in the perfect way. The characters in this book come alive from page one. It's an easy read. The writing is superb. You can feel the emotion as you read this book. The subject matter is unique. Ms. Wilson is a wonderful story
Michelle
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
(originally posted on The Writing Hufflepuff)

DISCLAIMER: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

While Swan Song didn’t blow me away, I really appreciated that this was first and foremost about Ava and her grief for the mother she had never known. She knows barely anything about her mother, so when she’s in London for her mother’s tribute she also takes that opportunity to go to all the places that meant something to her mother. This was really the most pow
Kayla
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-received
Swan Song was a lovely novel. I definitely recommend it if you're a fan of coming-of-age books.

Both the story and the characters were great. I really appreciated that the main focus of the book was on Ava and her grieving the mother she never got the chance to know. The romance, though, was sweet and adorable. I'd love more of Ava's story if it ever came about.

Reading Swan Song reminded me of how much I enjoy Charlotte's writing and that I should really pick up and finisher her Ceruleans series.
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
A moving story that touches your heart. Although I was never a dancer, dance has always touched my heart and soul. It's a beautiful thing.
I loved the flow of the story and how the character evolved on her journey. What started off as a way to grieve turned into a journey of self discovery and faith.
It was a beautiful heartwarming story that I highly recommend.
I voluntarily reviewed an arc from the author.
Marie
Absolutely beautiful. Review to come.
Salla (Books Told Me So)
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The classic problem: Will the child of a famous dancer live up to her parents? Ava doesn't want to. She didn't get to know her mother before she died. She refuses to dance anymore, and now she is invited back to take part in the tribute the Ballet company is paying for her mother's memory.

Finished it in one sitting, no breaks whatsoever.

Full review:
Lori Palmer (Palmer's Page Turners)
I was so excited when Charlotte emailed me to review her new book--I LOVED her Cerulean series (under pen name Megan Tayte) and have been itching for more to read from her! I was so excited about this book because it's about ballet--I took dance classes for many years as a kid (and adult!). I flew through the book and absolutely loved it. As with her previous books, the writing was effortless and drew you in from the beginning, making it easy to fly through the book because you can't wait to se ...more
e l gent
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting

Really liked it. Very London centric, used to live in area where Ava lived back in the day. Reminded me of Mabel Esther Allan’s Drina books. Would like to read more about how her career develops - like the Drina series.
Geetika Peety