Start by marking “Season of Storms (The Witcher)” as Want to Read:
Season of Storms (The Witcher)

Season of Storms

(Saga o Wiedźminie 0)

The New York Times bestselling series that inspired the Witcher video games.

Geralt of Rivia. A witcher whose mission is to protect ordinary people from the monsters created with magic. A mutant who has the task of killing unnatural beings. He uses a magical sign, potions and the pride of every witcher -- two swords, steel and silver. But what would happen if Geralt lost
Published May 22nd 2018 by Orbit (first published November 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Season of Storms, please sign up.
T You can either read it after 'baptism of fire' or -preferably- after, 'Lady of the Lake' .
Hope you like it, in my opinion it was a pretty good…more
Hope you like it, in my opinion it was a pretty good addition.(less)

Evgeny
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
First a disclaimer: the book blurb has nothing in common with the content. They both talk about Geralt the Witcher, but this is where the similarities end.

What did Geralt do most of the time in the series? People familiar with him only through the games or not at all would foolishly say he hunted monsters. Wrong! He brooded non-stop from the middle of the second book all the way to the end.
Brooding
I am happy(?) to say here he did exactly this for about third of the length. After which he was forced to
Markus
"They say that progress illuminates the darkness. But there will always be darkness. And in that darkness there will always be Evil, in that darkness there will always be fangs and claws, murder and blood. There will always be things that go bump in the night. And we, witchers, are the ones who bump back at them."
- Vesemir of Kaer Morhen

A difficult book to rate. I enjoyed reading it, of course, as it is a Witcher book. At the same time, it offered nothing new to the series, did not add anything
James Tivendale
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freecopy, fantasy
I received a review copy of Season of Storms in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Andrzej Sapkowski and Gollancz for the opportunity.

Season of Storms begins with the Witcher successfully completing a contract to eradicate the threat of a monster known as an Idr. Upon receiving payment Geralt opts to travel to Kerack where another mission may be waiting. Upon arrival at Kerack's Watchtower he is made to disarm and hand over his two legendary Witcher swords which he does begrudgingly. H
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I mean I love the freaking cover of the book! Guess I just need to get a print out!

But... the book fell flat for me! I don't know if it's because I have been reading some amazing books lately or what! Either way, I'm happy for the ones that love it!

Mel 🖤🐺🐾
Melanie
1.) The Last Wish ★★★★★

I'm sorry, friends, but I'm just not going to write a review for this one, because I feel so much dread every time I think about doing it. This book was just so different than what I've come to expect with other Witcher novels. It breaks my heart to say it, but I just didn't enjoy this one. I still love Dandelion with my whole heart and soul, Geralt is daddy, and Horse is a good boy.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Content and trigger warnings for blo
Anton
Overdue review notes...

The first thing to know about it - it is a full-length novel. Not a collection of short stories like The Last Wish or Sword of Destiny. But despite that, this story is much closer in spirit to these prequel instalments as opposed to the main saga Blood of Elves and onward.

It is an easy and enjoyable read. But it would naturally appeal to those who already love the series. If you are new to Witcher - you can start here... but I am not sure I would recommend it. I would rath
Milda Page Runner
It was so wonderful to be back in Witcher's world - I feel nostalgic already. There is everything in this book one could hope for:

breathtaking close-up fights with horrible monsters,

light-hearted funny banter with Dandelion,

court intrigues and conspiracies,

mysterious beautiful women and hot nights,

power drunk insane wizards,

plenty oh humour sarcasm and irony,

haunting full of horrors events,

kind monsters and monstrous cruel people.

Highly recommended to all Witcher fans. I can only hope that this
Caro the Helmet Lady

It's really easy to bitch and pout about this book, as some did. And I could point at same things they pointed at too, I'm not blind. But I wasn't disappointed by it and forgive it all easily. I am really happy I could return to the world that became sort of my second home almost two decades ago. Sure thing, I can always do it with the help of old saga, or new games, but it's just not the same.

Because, simply as it is -

description

And I did get some more. And it was interesting, it was funny, it added som
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum: https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/06/17/...

There really is no such thing as a bad Witcher book, just some are better than others. Season of Storms is probably one that I would put on the lower end of the spectrum—meaning I enjoyed it, but compared to the rest of the books in the series, it simply didn’t stand out as much as I’d hoped. While this is the eighth one overall (when you include all the novels and collections), it is also something of a standalone preq
Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad)
Read the fan translated version.

OK, I am quite speechless right now and it's very hard to put my thought to words, so I will cut the small talk and tell you everything that's on my heart.

Geralt (AKA The Witcher) is one of the best characters in the universe. Somehow I always refer to A.Sapkowski books as "true fantasy" ones since they are not only interesting, but have that specific feeling of reality, that makes you plunge into all adventures and experience them vividly.

description

This book had some fa
Celise
This is the most recently translated book in The Witcher saga, the series which inspired the video games by the same name. I have heard rumours that another book is in the works, but as of now, this is the last one.

First I'd like to comment quickly on where this fits into the reading order. This is it without Season of Storms:

The Last Wish (short story collection)
The Sword of Destiny (short story collection)
The Blood of Elves (novel)
The Time of Contempt (novel)
Baptism of Fire (novel)
The Tower of
Esther
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Thanks to Arjen for introducing me to this series and for doing a buddyread with me. I have been playing The Witcher games, but I did not know that there were books about Geralt too. I was excited to immerse myself into his world, but I did not like it as much as I hoped and I'm not sure if I'll continue this series.

A longer review can be found at Bite Into Books

I do realize that this book is #0 in a series. It could definitely get better. I think this book should have just been written as a nov
Spencer
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable and well written standalone story that manages to give us insight into various holes in the Witcher lore whilst also telling a fascinating tale. This is a book for the fans, you could read and enjoy this without reading any of the other books but there are so many references and easter eggs it's plain to see that this was written for those intimately familiar with the Witcher series.
Kells Next Read
Actual Ratings: 4.25

Alexandra Elend Wolf
Apr 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
Vippi
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

There's no such a thing as a bad Witcher's book. Sapkowski is simply too good a writer.
This book is pretty unremarkable, though.

While the 'sub-quests' unfolded, the feeling I had was to be on a drifting boat, driven by the current now in one direction, now in the other, without really getting anywhere.

Sapkowski's delightful sarcasm and the solid worldbuilding derived from the previous books partly made up for the lacking in substance. Sadly, however, it didn't hold a cand
Helena
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was okay-ish. My problem with Sapkowski is that his writing style reminds me of eating an old stale cookie without anything to drink.
Jan Pospíšil
Monsour
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The story continues"
"The story never ends"
- Nimue

This is probably the last book in the saga and I'm glad I read this book and reread some of the chapters of the previews books including the comics like the Glass House & Fox Child, before finishing this...

This novel is set before and after the first book "The last Wish" Where my(our) favorite albino sex god hero Geralt of Rivia struggle in his day to day life as a witcher.

What I like in this book is the the author is finally focusing agai
Steffi
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Season of Storms takes place between the pre-stories the Last Wish and the Sword of Destiny. There were some references to the Last Wish and to the main series, however, this book had been an up and down for me.

My main problem was that this book had too many plot lines. Geralt arrives in the little town of Kerick, where the king has like 5 or more sons and daughters, however, the king wants another heir. I thought this had been the main story, but well ... I can't tell which plot line was the ma
Rosa
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018, books
Well, it was better than the previous one, but I'm really sad. Geralt of Rivia saga had so much potential, but it was spoiled. Diluted. I have the impression the author didn't have a clear plan when he was writing, so he added and added things, and then, without planning or they made no sense or were forgotten. I was wondering while reading this book why all those witcher signals weren't used in the main saga, why Geralt kept being beaten and imprisioned without him using them. And I only have o ...more
Katja
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-finnish
It was fun to have one more Witcher book to read, after the main saga. It's a more contained story because it's a standalone but it's also kinda mediocre and jumps oddly here and there. There are kings and plots and wizards and monsters and all the usual stuff but it isn't as engaging as before. The language is still great, and I must give kudos to the Finnish translator. It was nice to read once but it's far from the best Witcher stuff.
Wayne
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars

I keep waiting for these books to not live up to my quite high expectations but every time they deliver.
Let's hope the Netflix series does the same thing (and i'm prepared to give the cast and showrunners the benefit of the doubt at this stage. Don't let me down Mr Cavill)

The world building is excellent and really brings to life the seediness and horror of the world the characters live in. It's very expressive and is exactly how I picture it to be. While this was the most recent one writt
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
3.5 stars.

As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

I received a free copy of this book courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Geralt of Rivia also known as The White Wolf is a Witcher. A Witcher is a monster slayer, a mutant human with enhanced abilities (strength, endurance, they can see in the dark, resistant to poison, enhanced healing, longevity, etc) and magic (through the use of signs cast using a
Arjen
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 YENNEFERS OUT OF 5.
Stephen Richter
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set to be read at anytime by any fan of the Witcher and his adventures. In this tale the Witcher is Hoodwinked by a bunch of Sorcerers. And Geralt loses his swords. A fine tale performed by Peter Kenny in his usual professional manner.
Plots and Points
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course, of course I couldn't hold off on reading this one! I am happy to report that my love for the series has not been taken for granted and my hype was rewarded with another amazing entry into the Witcher saga.

It's a dangerous gamble, writing a new addition to your series almost two decades removed from the conclusion, which has often blown up in Hollywood's face. Season of Storms could have easily been seen as a quick cash grab, feeding off the success of the now HIT video game series whi
Alexander Roth
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was great to come back to the Witcher universe, this time in Kerack, a small city at the sea.
I really liked experiencing a younger, less stiff and adventerous Geralt, as the novel takes place somwhere between The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny. Good news: Dandelion is back too, giving the novel a quite humerous vibe sometimes, with his tipical remarks and opinions.
The novel follows Geralt as he tries to recover his lost swords, only to get from bad situatuions to even worse ones. Geralt cope
Nav
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as strong as the other Witcher books. But still worth reading if you enjoyed the previous 7.
Mikko Vanhala
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
This is the end.

I knew this day would come but wished to postpone it. Like King Belohun often quotes, "Hope for the best but prepare for the worst."

I had great expectations. But this book surpassed them all. I laughed with it, wept with it and feared with it; it made me desperate and gave me hope; it made me feel anger and hatred but also happiness. There's no two ways about giving it five stars.

My journey with the Witcher series began in 2015, and since that it has risen to a position equal to
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Season of Storms [Nov 15, 2018] 11 19 Nov 21, 2018 08:05AM

• Renegat (Nocarz, #2)
  • Sługa Boży (Mordimer Madderdin #8)
  • Opowieści z meekhańskiego pogranicza. Północ - Południe
  • Opowieści z Wilżyńskiej Doliny (Wilżyńska Dolina, #1)
  • Kłamca 4. Kill’em All (Kłamca, #4)
  • Achaja. Tom III (Achaja, #3)
  • Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza (Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza, #1)
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 3 (Pan Lodowego Ogrodu, #3)
  • Limes inferior
  • Zbieracz Burz. Tom II  (Zastępy Anielskie, #4)
  • Wiedźma opiekunka, Część 1 (Wolha Redna, #3)
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more

Saga o Wiedźminie (8 books)
  • The Last Wish (Saga o Wiedźminie, #1)
  • Miecz przeznaczenia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • Blood of Elves (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3)
  • Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)
  • Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)
  • Untitled
“Geralt uniósł kufel. Znał się z wieloma krasnoludami, wiedział, jak się przepija i jak wznosi toasty.
- Za pomyślność sprawy słusznej!
- A na pohybel skurwysynom! - dopowiedział krasnolud, stukając kuflem o jego kufel.”
10 likes
“Říká se, že pokrok zahání temnotu. Ale vždycky budou stíny. A vždycky se bude ve stínech skrývat zlo, vždycky v nich budou zuby a drápy, vražda a krev. Vždycky budou tvorové tlukoucí po nocích. A my zaklínači jsme tady proto, abychom je ztloukli.” 3 likes