Start by marking “What Did I Do” as Want to Read:
What Did I Do

What Did I Do

I CAN'T REMEMBER...

Kristin is on the run. From her life. From herself.

When two murders take place in Chicago, Kristin quickly finds herself a prime suspect. The problem is she can't be sure of what she did or didn't do.

DID THEY MAKE ME DO IT...

In fear for her life, Kristin flees abroad to start her life over. But it's not that easy to e
Published May 1st 2018 by Aria

To ask other readers questions about What Did I Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Did I Do

Start your review of What Did I Do
Carrie
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
What Did I Do? by Jessica Jarlvi is one of those books that the cover just screamed read me when I saw it and having read another book by the author it wasn't a hard choice to pick this one up.  Jessica's first book When I Wake Up was one that I remember being easily pulled into so I was hoping for more of the same, unfortunately that wasn't the case this time.

The story in here is told from multiple points of view including an unknown voice and varying timelines in the beginning. Som
Kris - My Novelesque Life
WHAT DID I DO?
Written by Jessica Jarlvi
MAY 1st, 2018; Aria (420 Pages)
Genre: fiction, mystery, suspense, contemporary, Sweden

RATING: 2.5 STARS

I really enjoyed Jarlvi's first novel, When I Wake Up, so I was excited to see another book being published this year. On the whole, I enjoyed the book, but I found it hard to always stay on track with who was speaking. There were moments, especially towards the end, that plot points seemed to be forced in order to
Mandy White
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
This was a strange book. I enjoyed the story but it did jump around between characters and time quite a lot which did get confusing.

The story of a women who flees the states after her husband dies, harbouring many secrets. She i not really sure what the truth is and is running and hiding from it.

Thanks to Aria and NetGalley for my advanced copy of this book to read in exchange for my honest opinions
Sherri Thacker
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was drawn to the cover of this book and thought for sure i would love it. I had a really tough time following this story. There are so many characters to keep track of that i was easily confused and i just could not connect to any of them. DNF at 33%. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for this complimentary book. All opinions expressed are my own.
Bandit
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Can’t seem to stay out of Sweden lately, literally as in books. Then again I really liked Jarlvi’s debut When I Wake Up, so I would have checked this book out irrespective of geography. So here I am, the first person reviewing it for GR. Woohoo and all that. What Did I Do wasn’t a sophomore slump per se, though I did like it less. The story has to do with a young woman from a well to do and supremely messed up family, in fact every existing member of her family suspects her of various crime, inc ...more
Amanda
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read the synopsis of this book and I was immediately intrigued. I just knew that this was one book that I needed to read. I haven’t read Jessica Jarlvi’s previous book called ‘When I Wake Up’, which was released last year. I just love discovering new writers and so it was with some excitement that I picked up my Kindle and started to read ‘What Did I Do?’. I really enjoyed it but more about that in a bit.
Kristin is a bit of a funny old fish. It isn’t long until we find out that her husba
Jade
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank You to Netgalley and Aria publishing for giving me a copy of this great book.

5 Stars.

Just "WOW" What an amazing read this is. its a very dark and powerful Psychological Suspense which kept me on my toes. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and did not expect the outcome.

I think this is one to read if you are a fan of Mark Edwards. I would highly recommend this.

Well Done Jessica Jarlvi I am very impressed with this book. I didn't know what to expect as I haven't read your other b
Lady Delacour
Not Clean.
Foul Language.
Faith Hogan
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is another cracker from Ms Jarlvi. I had high expectation after reading the debut and entered into this book gingerly - could it possibly be as good?
Well, yes, it's every bit as good and maybe even better. The story weaves over and back through time, taking in both sides of the Atlantic and brings us to the last place you expect.
Another triumph - no pressure, but... more please!
Grace J Reviewerlady
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Twisted, knotted, complicated in the extreme .. this is a completely confusing read - and I LOVED it!!

Three quarters of this book consists of intertwining tales from different characters; it's quite difficult at times to work out what the relationships, if any, are between the characters and deciding who is who. The revelations all come in the last 25% and they are well worth waiting for. Without reading all that goes before, none of it would be as exciting or as unexpected. I did ma
Kelly Lacey
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I was over the moon when I heard I was going to be reviewing What Did I Do by Jessica Jarlvi. Jessica’s previous book When I Wake Up was a real reading highlight for me in 2017. I started and finished When I Wake Up in one go.

We meet a whole host of different characters and at first, I found it quite confusing and I kept trying to connect the dots and I got frustrated. So, I gave in and just relaxed into the book and went on the journey. Jessica is an excellent story weaver, giving y
Myreadbooks
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was immediately attracted by the cover of this book, we see Kristin face half hidden by the hair. One sentence sums up the book a lot: "She remembers killing someone, wouldn't she?"

It all starts when two murders occur in Chicago, Kristin finds himself quickly at the center of this case. Except that she does not remember what she did or did not do. With a life insurance payment, she escapes to Sweden to start from scratch. But escaping her past is not as easy as she believes. Whate
Pat Simpson
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading this book is like being on a rollercoaster, with lots of twists and turns, leaving you breathless and wanting more. It is told by different characters and sometimes difficult to follow, but please stick with it, it is definitely worth it!
The main character is Kristen, who is on the run after her husband and brother in law are found dead in suspicious circumstances.
This is a book that will keep you guessing throughout, who or what to believe. A great read. Thanks to NetGalley
Leslie M.
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had a really hard time staying engaged with this story. Based on the description, I really thought I'd enjoy it. I wanted to, but it just didn't live up to my expectations. The number of characters made it challenging to follow at times, and it was hard to feel a real connection to any of the characters.

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy from NetGalley, but I wasn't required to leave a positive review.
Breakaway Reviewers
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
An everyday story of a dysfunctional family

Frank and Birgitta’s family consists of two boys, Peter and Anders, the youngest at 19, and Kristin, their only daughter. Peter has already flown the nest and Kristin is nowhere to be found. The novel starts with a Prologue which, frankly, in my opinion, adds little to the reader’s understanding, and a call to the parents to say that Anders has had an accident. Just why that call had to interrupt a sex session is beyond me. Maybe the author
Jo-Ann Duff (Duffy The Writer)
Firstly, the book cover is everything I look for when seeking out my next thriller read. Sleek design, punchy title and intriguing tagline. What Did I Do? was totally my bag.

The location switch from Chicago to a small town in Sweden seemed a unique choice, but the stark Swedish undertones definitely added to the building tensions of the plotlines, of which there are many. With what Did I Do? YOu need to be prepared to concentrate.

I did have to flick back through the pages
Joanne
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Dark, intense and plot twists galore Jessica Jarlvi’s new novel What Did I Do? is not one to be missed. Utterly gripping throughout this was a book I adored.
Split between three narratives it did take a while to settle into this book, but once I was I was desperate to know how these three very different tales were linked. Firstly, with have Kirsten whose husband has died from poisoning in mysterious circumstances, she knows she’s a suspect, but nobody can prove anything, or can they? With h
Book-Lover Book Blog
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although I was extremely tempted to give this 5 Stars, I was let down by the epilogue... half of the epilogue is the beginning of the book and it was like ‘meh’. The actually ending of the storyline itself was actually quite intense. I knew there was something fishy with the ‘specific’ character but I never guessed everything revolves around them, that’s for sure.

The writing style is most definitely the most gripping part of this book. The author certainly has the gift of the writing and knows
Angela  Mellor
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
What did I do? is a great title for this did she, didn't she thriller.
The cover screamed read me and despite seeing a few negative reviews I plunged in and on the whole I am glad I did. At the start I have to admit I did struggle, there seemed to be quite a few characters all very different with different lives but somehow all connected or not?? As I started to separate the different characters in my head and the timeline they appeared I started to love this book. The main character is Kri
Heather
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book so many twists and turns I found it a bit hard to follow. The first half of the book was very hard to follow trying to figure out where the characters in the past points of view related to the current characters points of view. I think the author could have done a better job at joining the past and present characters in my opinions to make it less confusing.

You are led to believe that Kristin is mentally unstable and she probably is but not to the point her parents think she is. She j
Robin Loves Reading
The title of the book, What Did I Do? plainly sets the plot. Her husband is dead. Her brother is dead. She is responsible, isn't she? Oh, and her mother has been crippled by being pushed down the stairs. She was there on all three occasions. She did it, didn’t she? Why doesn’t she clearly remember? I was curious from page one. I kept wondering had she actually done these criminal acts. Beyond the obvious questions, there were things about Kristin that kept me reading this book.

Meanwh
Mary
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a sinister, disturbing and fantastic read. Lock your door, switch off your phone and buckle in for a great ride.
What Did I Do? is told from the viewpoints of a number of characters. Kristin is on the run and is hiding out in Sweden. She may or may not have killed someone. Frank is mourning the loss of his youngest son who drowned in a lake and the disappearance of his daughter Sofia and his other son Peter. An initially unnamed young woman is in love with her ‘upper class’ boyfriend but is
Angela Chadwick
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading Jarlvi’s first book, WHEN I WAKE UP, I was immediately drawn in by the utterly authentic voices afforded to her characters. And I was very pleased to be similarly hooked this time around: WHAT DID I DO? has several narrators, each of whom tells their story their own unique way. Rather than confusing the narrative this approach enriches it, pulling the reader into a tangled web of deceit, pursuit and retribution.

There are several mysteries at the heart of this novel, and as yo
Jane Hunt
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Multiple characters provide tantalising snippets of information in this psychological thriller. Set in Chicago and Sweden, this story has the pacing and sinister elements of a Scandinavian thriller.

All the characters have psychological issues, which makes finding the antagonist difficult. I did work out most the plot before the end, but there were a couple of surprises. What stands out in this story is the unmitigated evil of the antagonist, who is the puppeteer, while all the other characters
Savanah Rae
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book for free from Netgalley in return for my honest opinion .

I tried to get into this book but it jumped around a lot and I got super confused. I thought I would enjoy the book based off of the cover and reviews but I didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping for. Too many characters and it just got super confusing.

Kristin needs a fresh start after her husband's death. She's trying to start over but she keeps getting anonymous phone calls and threatening le
Nicki Southwell
Widowed Kirsty flees Chicago for Sweden, soon after the death of her husband. She is set up with an insurance payout in order to start her new life.

She is tormented by phone calls and has flashbacks and nightmares about terrible things happening to family members. She starts to wonder if she is losing her mind.

I found this book difficult to concentrate on as the author went back and forwards with too many characters. My apologies for not leaving a detailed review.
Allyson
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for the opportunity to read this book in return for my honest opinion.

First of all, I did enjoy this book, it was so suspenseful once it go going. It was also so confusing at first; for the first third of the book, I had a hard time keeping track of the characters and who was who, almost thought I would have to make a chart. Then, the dots stared to be connected and I was surprised and horrified all at once. Great story, with a sur
Just_me
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, net-galley
I reviewed What did I do? as an ARC free from net galley in return for an honest review.

The first half of this book was actually quite hard to read, the time line is off, you have no idea what's happening, and I had no idea who was who in the narratives. In time this does fall into place but I had to push myself to read on. In the second half of the book I thought I knew who was behind it but I soon changed my mind and guessed before the big reveal.

I enjoyed the story but feel that
Cathy
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book starts in a rather confusing manner: rather a lot of chapters introducing a different character in different settings and different time frames. It takes quite some commitment to stick with Kristen who fleas to Sweden after finding herself a person of interest following the death of her brother and husband. Despite compelling motives, she keeps asking herself if she's capable of murder. She can't actually remember...

Despite a promising new start in Sweden, her past starts t
Christine Rennie
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
With thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the book in exchange for an honest review.
I read a small part of this book and then left it for a month or so then decided to carry on reading it. Whilst the plot or idea of the book was a clever one, it really ended far too complicated and there were far too many name changes for the story to have any cohesion or fluidity.
The daughter thought she was responsible for the death of her abusive husband and fled to Sweden to start again. Th
Born in Sweden, Jessica moved to London before her career in publishing, editing and PR took her to the USA and the Middle East. Having also completed her Masters in Creative Writing and taught journalism to undergraduate students, writing is her true passion. Jessica won a Montegrappa First Fiction Award at the Emirates Festival of Literature in 2016, catching the eye of her agent Luigi Bonomi. H ...more