Start by marking “The New Dark” as Want to Read:
The New Dark

The New Dark

(The Dark Times Trilogy #1)

Published November 1st 2017 by Bastei Entertainment

Montzalee Wittmann
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
The New Dark by Lorraine Thomson is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. I found this an interesting read with mutants that are treated poorly, but at the same time they raid and kill villages. This is about a girl that survives a raid and is looking for her boyfriend and her brother, they got separated after the raid. The girl befriends a mutant and he helps her. It is interesting, it got slow in a couple of places but immediately picked back up. Enjoyed it. Love the c ...more
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Actual rating: 3.4⭐

Story ⭐⭐⭐⭐
After Mutants raid Amat and take Sorrels little brother and her friend and love David with them, Sorrel starts to search for them, only to find people who call themselves "the free people". There she learns that not all mutants are bad and not all people are nice and good.
Even if sometimes I knew what would happen, I still found the story to be entertaining and I can't wait to read the second book.

Characters ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I liked the main character Sorrel, because next to he
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
I’ve been given an ARC by Bastei Entertainment via NetGalley in exchange for an honest opinion.

This is embarrassing as it’s the first ARC I’ve got from NetGalley that did not really float my boat.
Hell I can guess there is always a first time to everything!

So honestly here: I liked the concept, I liked that it made me think about who’s right and who’s wrong in general BUT I did not like the main characters.
I did not dislike them either but I had difficulties to really walk in their shoes and I’l
Dianne
They came thundering through her village, killing, kidnapping and destroying all that remained. Mutants, a product of a post-apocalyptic world. Somehow Sorrel survived and escaped, a girl now alone in a hostile world berating herself for her failure to save her family, for feeling fear and for surviving the monsters her peaceful village was no match for.

Sorrel is now determined to somehow find and rescue her baby brother and hopefully the boy she loves. When she is “rescued” by a fanatical relig
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

I received this E-ARC via Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

DNF

I was really looking forward to reading this! It sounded right up my alley. Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

The beginning totally turned me off. And I just couldn't get back into it.

I do still recommend.

Scrill
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, ya, dystopian
I received an ARC from Netgalley for a fair review

In a post-modern society, Sorrel barely escapes after her village is raided by mutants. She finds that young brother Eli and beloved David were captured by the band of mutants and finds herself in a dangerous pursuit to get them back. As she progresses on her journey she learns more about the world outside of her village and the dangers that it holds. Everything she thinks she knows about the “before” could actually be real and she learns that no
DaJa
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, dystopia, netgalley
Ich muss gestehen am Anfang hatte ich wirklich so Schwierigkeiten mit diesem Buch. Allerdings ist es etwa ab der Hälfte so richtig spannend geworden. Einstein hat mir am besten gefallen er ist irgendwie der Hammer. Jetzt muss ich eigentlich wissen wie es weitergeht und ich werde mir auf jeden Fall das nächste Band auch noch holen. Der Schreibstil war eigentlich ganz angenehm aber wie gesagt anfangs auch ein bisschen holprig. Ich glaube ich musste mich erst mal an diese neue Welt gewöhnen.
✘Tabby✘
Oct 22, 2017 marked it as never-finished
I guess growing up also means your taste in books changes too. This is not for me anymore :(
Jessica (BookObsessedJess)
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
I'm not even sure where to begin. I didn't hate it. I didn't love it, or even really like it. I wasn't disappointed. I'm not angry. I just feel a lot of....nothing towards this book.

WARNING: This book contains themes of slavery, oppression, racism, sexual assault, and prejudices against disabilities. To name a few.

I understand that this book was trying to point out the wrongness of all of these issues. I do "get" that, but it just fell so flat to me. If you are going to take on such issues as th
Dee/ bookworm
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There was so much that went into this novel. I honestly think it was one of the best novels I have read in a while. It had sadness, despair, hope, a hint of romance, revulsion, friendship.. it had a little of everything. And while in the beginning I was wondering if the book had any redeemable qualities, I kept going and it was definitely worth it!!
Now I have to wait for the next one :(

Wonderful book!!

I received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.
Jodie "Bookish"  Cook
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Book Review
Title: The New Dark
Author: Lorraine Thomson
Genre: YA/Fantasy/Dystopian/Romance
Rating: ****
Review: In the opening of the New Dark we are introduced to Sorrel and David, who are a couple. Sorrel lives with her mother and two youngest siblings; Eli and Bella. For the opening chapter there are lots of things we don’t understand; what is the before, why can’t Bella have a name, what does it mean to viable and many more. However, the fantasy element emerges in the form of mutants, these mut
Clare T.
Thank you, Netgalley and publishers, for an advanced e-book copy of this story! All opinions are still my own and are not influenced in any way.

The New Dark by Lorraine Thomson is about a dystopian/sci-fi book about a girl named Sorrel whose town gets raided by mutants. She barely escapes, but is now on an adventure to find her little brother and childhood crush. Along the way, there are many dangers. Will Sorrel ever find David and Eli?

This started and ended strangely. It dives right in, and yo
Belu Ruiz
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-ya, owned
*4 stars* ARC kindly received in exchange for an honest review.
I really enjoy this book!! I loved the post-apocalyptic story line, Sorrel firceness and courage, David's feelings and how Lorraine Thomson managed to show us that good people does not only come in human form.
This is a book I highly recomend and can't wait to read the following ones.
Naty
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Check out my blog for more reviews and bookish stuff! https://natysbookshelf.wordpress.com/

I have received this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I had to battle through this book to get it finished. It’s 221 pages long, but to me it felt like it would never be over. I wanted to give this book the fairest chance possible, but it didn’t work too well.

The New Dark tells the story of Sorrel, a girl living in a post-apocalyptic settlement of Amat, where there is no electrical energ
Vicky
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I love fantasy, and on the whole, I love sci-fi as well, so this YA book should have been a winning cocktail, angst and all. In the end, though, despite some interesting comments on mutants and society, I wasn’t completely hooked.
Similarly to Michelle Kenney’s great Book of Fire, a post-apocalyptic novel about people living wild in the forest facing off against a more civilised (and invariably slightly evil) post-apocalyptic society, The New Dark is about Sorrel, a girl from Amat, a community th
Traci Kenworth
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Book Talk II 1/19/18
Traci Kenworth

The New Dark Lorraine Thompson. Bastei Entertainment. Nov. 2017. Netgalley. YA Dystopian.

As always, blurb from GoodReads: "She thought she knew who she was and where she came from. Then her home was destroyed. Her brother lost amongst the ashes. And the boy she loves vanished. She owed her own survival to a mutant — the very forces behind the destruction. Now Sorrel will never be the same again."

There is no "Before", there is only "Now". Because now there’s no i
Paige Green
Feb 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Rating: 1.5

Genre: YA Dystopian

Recommended Age: 15+ (mentions of rape, gore, violence, slavery, etc.)

Pages: 221

Author Website

Amazon Link

I received this book for review from NetGalley. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Summary: "She thought she knew who she was and where she came from.Then her home was destroyed. Her brother lost amongst the ashes. And the boy she loves vanished. She owed her own survival to a mutant — the very forces behind the destruction. Now Sorrel will never be the same again."
Robyyn
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books
Susanne
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Das Buch ist keine bahnbrechende Dystopie.
Aber eine nette Unterhaltung für kleines Geld (4,99€ als eBook).

**In einer dunklen Welt ist Liebe die einzige Rettung.**

Keine Schulen, keine Supermärkte, kein Internet – eine globale Katastrophe hat die Zivilisation vernichtet.
Klappentext:
Für die 16-jährige Sorrel gibt es nur ihre Familie, ihr Dorf und einige unglaubliche Geschichten aus der ‚Zeit Davor‘. Eines Tages greifen Mutanten das Dorf an und metzeln fast alle Bewohner nieder. Sorrels kleiner Brud
MRIDULA
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 3-stars, arc, netgalley
The New Dark is about the Village of Amat and Sorrel. Sorrel runs away from her village when it is attacked by the mutants. When she comes back she finds almost everyone lying dead on the ground. But her brother Eli and her love interest David are missing. That's when she sets a journey to find them and rescue them. Will she find them or are they dead?

The journey is definitely not an easy one for Sorrel. She faces enemies both as nature and as humans. David and Eli, on the other hand, are taken
Jennika
The New Dark is a new dystopian series centered around our main character, Sorrel. We are very briefly introduced to her and her village, where she lives with her young brother (Eli) and her "boyfriend" (David). The story begins with her village being completely destroyed by invading mutants.

Honestly, this book was just confusing and distasteful. The whole novel has this sense of hopelessness and depression. I felt like the author threw in a bunch of shocking events just because. There was no re
Rebecca Armstrong
Jan 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
There is no "Before", there is only "Now". Because now there’s no internet, no TV, no power grid. Food is scarce, and the world’s a hostile place. But Sorrel lives a quiet life in the tiny settlement of Amat. It’s all she’s ever known... Until a gang of marauding mutants destroys the village, snatching her brother Eli, and David, her boyfriend. Sorrel sets out after them, embarking on a journey fraught with danger. Can she survive? The only thing that keeps her going is Eli and David. They are o ...more
Anne
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spannende Dystopie mit kleinen Makeln
Das Cover ist sehr schön und hat mich sehr gereizt, mir das Buch genauer anzusehen. Die Story dahinter versprach auch so einiges und auch die Protagonisten waren einem teilweise auf Anhieb sympathisch. Der Lesefluss ist sehr gut, da der Schreibstil einen wirklich mit sich trägt und dadurch die Seiten nur so dahinfliegen.
Dennoch muss ich sagen, dass mich das Buch nicht gänzlich überzeugt hat. Es hat ein paar Makel hier und da: inhaltlich gesehen wirkt es ein z
Taylor
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this arc from netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

So...... this book half so much promise but just fell short for me. Sorrell (sorry if I butchered the name) was very two dementional for me. I could not relate to her at all which is very important for me. Even if I hate a character, I connect with their personality on some level, which makes books great for me. But it wasn't the case with this book.
I loves the idea about a dystopian society with mutants/ evolved humans but....
Rachel Thijssen
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 53 pages.

TRIGGER WARNING: SEXUAL ABUSE

This book has a great premise, but I personally didn't like the way it was executed and it triggered a trauma, so I decided not to finish it.

The writing was okay-ish, the worldbuilding was lacking and the pace was just off - fast when I wanted it to be slow and slow when I wanted it to speed up.

I will say the sexual abuse was minimal: touching, looking, attempts at kissing. But it still brought up my trauma, I'm afraid. Books should have trigger warni
Crystal
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'd probably consider this to be more of a 2.5 star read but since I can't do half stars I'm settling with 2. There were just too many unanswered questions and convenient plot points.

Further review to come later since this was a NetGalley read.
Jolie
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it

I was on the fence after I read The New Dark. One one hand, I thought that the basic storyline for the book was fantastic. A post-apocalyptic world where mutants were common. That caught my attention from the get-go. But, I found that I had issues following the storyline at the same time. There was not enough background given about what happened “Before“, how the mutants came to be and what Sorrel’s birthmark means. When I finished The New Dark, I was at o
Jessica Parsons
Oct 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Missy Ansell
3.5 Stars

Sorrel and her village of Amat are attacked by a group of people called mutants. Her mother is killed, but her little brother and the boy she likes are taken by the mutants. Sorrel then tries to go after them to rescue them.

While this book was interesting, and the writing was good, there was somethings that I thought were missing. For one thing there really wasn't any background information. What caused their world to what it is today? There were some vague references of the past, but n
Ivy_Lost_inside_Pages
Inhalt/Einleitung

Sie dachte sie wusste wer sie war, wo sie war und woher sie kommt, Sorrel die Protagonistin dieser Geschichte, die in einer Trilogie gegliedert ist. Als Mutanten in ihr Dorf Amat einfallen, zerstören sie alles. Sie bringen die Bewohner um und sie verliert ihren kleinen Bruder Eli. Auch ist der Junge David , in den sich die junge 16 jährige Sorrel verliebt hat, auf einmal spurlos verschwunden.

Abgekämpft und geschädigt, von dem was ihr zugestoßen ist, macht sie sich auf die Such
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Lorraine Thomson was born in Glasgow. She won a UK writing competition and was short-listed for the Dundee Book Prize. She now lives in Ullapool on the rugged north-west coast of Scotland.

The Dark Times Trilogy (3 books)
  • The New Dawn (The Dark Times Trilogy, #2)
  • The New Day (The Dark Times Trilogy Book 3)
“Suit yourself. Be stupid, get yourself killed.” 0 likes
“A sister who could barely remember her brother's face. True love of a boy she had barely kissed. Mortal enemy of a childhood friend. Best friend of a mutant. Symbol of a rebellion.” 0 likes