Start by marking “Uncanny Magazine Issue 18: September/October 2017” as Want to Read:
Uncanny Magazine Issue 18: September/October 2017

Uncanny Magazine Issue 18: September/October 2017

(Uncanny Magazine #18)

The September/October 2017 issue of Hugo Award-winning Uncanny Magazine.

Featuring new fiction by N.K. Jemisin, Fran Wilde, C. S. E. Cooney, Catherynne M. Valente, Vina Jie-Min Prasad, and Delia Sherman, reprinted fiction by Malinda Lo, essays by Sophie Aldred, Cecilia Tan, Sarah Kuhn, Sam J. Miller and Jean Rice, and Sabrina Vourvoulias, poetry by Jo Walton, Brandon O'Brie
Published September 5th 2017 by Uncanny Magazine

To ask other readers questions about Uncanny Magazine Issue 18, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncanny Magazine Issue 18

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4.5 stars for the Nebula nominated stories reviewed below; 3.5 for N.K. Jemisin's interesting "Henosis." This issue of Uncanny Magazine (free online here) has two current Nebula award nominees in the short story category, both of them IMO excellent and very worthy nominees. Reviews for these stories first posted on Fantasy Literature:

4.5 stars: “Fandom for Robots” by Vina Jie-Min Prasad: Computron, despite being the “only known sentient robot,” is dismissed by society as a quaint artifact, becau
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: magazines
A near miss for Uncanny, which is a bit disappointing. I truly disliked a few of the stories in this. Some of the essays didn't interest me that much too.

My favorites: "At Cooney's" by Delia Sherman (I always love her stories), "Henosis" by N.K. Jemisin (had to look up what "henosis" actually is to get it though), and "Fandom for Robots" by Vina Jie-Min Prasad. The reprint "Ghost Town" by Malindo Lo was also a suitably creepy story going into the Halloween season.
Jon
2018 Hugo Finalist for Best Short Story: “Clearly Lettered in a Mostly Steady Hand,” by Fran Wilde (Uncanny, September 2017) and “Fandom for Robots,” by Vina Jie-Min Prasad (Uncanny, September/October 2017)

Listened (9/9/2017) to the Uncanny podcast 18A which included two of the short stories published in this edition plus a poem by Jo Walton entitled "To Much Dystopia?" (https://uncannymagazine.com/article/t...).

Clearly Lettered in a Mostly Steady Hand by Fran Wilde (liked it)
Tani
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finally finished! This was my first time reading Uncanny, and it was a pretty good experience. My thoughts:

N. K. Jemisin- “Henosis" - I liked this, but I thought it was a bit heavy-handed in making its point. I suppose it's a technique that works well for short fiction, but it's not one that I love.

Fran Wilde- “Clearly Lettered in a Mostly Steady Hand” - This one was not for me. It was beautifully written, and if I was a visual reader, I might have really liked it, but I have a big problem with
Paul

Malinda Lo- “Ghost Town” - Good

Video review: https://youtu.be/ovbeE5dtD6k?t=35s
Caitlin
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short story about authors and artists and how their legacies are remembered. Particularly by their fans. Despite its length, the story skips around in chapters, slowly revealing the full story.

I haven't read much by Jemisin (yet) but I really liked this. It took a bit to get a sense of the story with the time skipping but I appreciated the slow reveal. And the sly, dark nature of the story.
Margaret
If I had to pick a favorite from this issue, it would be Fran Wilde's circus monster sideshow short story "Clearly Lettered in a Mostly Steady Hand." Overall, it's a good issue, with 2 of my favorite SFF writers contributing fiction though, oddly, those were not my favorite short stories!

Fiction
N. K. Jemisin- “Henosis”: The story of a writer in the future told in disorganized fragments of a book. Interesting concept. Sorry Jemisin, I'm not ready to give you that award! 3/5

Fran Wilde- “Clearly Le
Jana
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
Thoughtful, insightful short story -- about the relationship between creators and their audience, the constructed notion of an "obligation" from the creator to that audience, and the creator's identity as weighed against fame and their body of work. The anachronic order of chapters adds to the complexity of the story and deepens the reader's understanding of Harkim's distracted frame of mind. Really well-done.
Przemek
Mar 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is bad, this is really bad. Let me start with a quote from editorial by Lynne M. Thomas and Michael Damian Thomas: "One more thing. Fuck Nazis. Fuck Racism. Fuck misogyny. Fuck antisemitism. Fuck Islamophobia. Fuck fascist conman president and his entire corrupt, treasonous regime." And it doesn't get any better in other nonfiction parts of the magazine, we have typical leftist "white, male, and privileged" rant, Harry Potter and Hobbit that are not only cliché but also colonialism (!), com ...more
Krista McCracken
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favourite pieces in this issue were:

Vina Jie-Min Prasad- “Fandom for Robots”: Basially an old-fashioned/outdated robot discovers an anime with a similar dated robot in it and starts writing fanfiction. A whole lot of humor and sweetness.

"Let Me Tell You" by Cecilia Tan rocked it in the non-fiction essay section this time around. Their essay challenges the old 'show vs tell' adage and examines it in the context of SFF that doesn't fall under standard 'literary' white male genres. Recommended
Marina
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
He empezado a oír los Podcast de revistas como Lightspeed o Uncanny. Luego complementando con el resto de material online. Cuando llegue a ponerme al día seguramente me suscriba. De momento este numero ha estado bastante guay, hay alguno relatos que son interesantes pero por lo general eran Ok sin más. Eso sí otros me han gustado bastante como el de Down and Out in R’lyeh de Valente. Y algo que me sorprendido, poesía de género. Muy curioso y interesante.
Ahsan
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it

I listened to the story as read by Stephanie Morris on the Uncanny Magazine Podcast, but you can read it for free online on the Uncanny Magazine's website.

The acrhonological order of the story shields allows the story to reveal itself on its own terms. It plays with very interesting ideas concerning artistic legacy and the pedestal we place certain authors on. I'm eager to read more of N.K. Jemisin's work!
Kathryn Baron
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Vina Jie-Min Prasad- “Fandom for Robots” *****
Clearly Lettered in a Mostly Steady Hand” by Fran Wilde *
N. K. Jemisin- “Henosis" **
C. S. E. Cooney- “Though She Be But Little” *
Sophie Aldred – “My Voice-Over Life *
Sarah Kuhn- “I’m Not The Only One: Why Wonder Woman Doesn’t Need to Stand Alone in Order to Stand Tall” *
Silverin
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fangirls, robots
A short story about a museum robot called Computron who gets into watching a scifi anime series and how he enters its fandom.
Read at Uncanny Magazine website, issue 18. sept/oct 17
Also read "Henosis" by N.K. Jemisin, from the same issue, which was just okay, along with "Ghost Town" by Malinda Lo which was good.
Elaysee
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elec-own, hugo-elig
A strong issue - I was only neutral on a couple of the stories, and many people seem to disagree with me on one of those. My favorites were Cooney's "Though She Be But Little" and Prasad's "Fandom for Robots," as well as the Lo reprint "Ghost Town."
Celeste
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic short story about a robot who gets into fandom. Absolutely delightful.
Brielle
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read Valente's story. Loved it.
Donald Shepherd
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Review for "Fandom for Robots" by Vina Jie-Min Prasad
Em The Reading Challenge Challenge
Weird. Good weird. It took me a while to catch on to the structure but I liked it.
Sheila
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I stumbled across this story when going to the Uncanny website to read/listen to another story from the same volume
It is available online at https://uncannymagazine.com/article/h... to read and to listen to - it is narrated by Stephanie Morris
The author's The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms was nominated for Hugo Award and others in 2010

This is a near future set story about writers' legacies. Harkim is an award nominated writer, he does the rounds of book signings, he turns up for awards ceremonies,
D.G. Fickle
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-magazines
Fandom for Robots by Vina Jie-Min Prasad and Henosis by N.K. Jemisin were my favorite stories in this issue!
Hala
Jun 26, 2018
Maya Gu
Feb 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
In my day job, I am the Head of the Rare Books and Manuscript Library and Juanita J. and Robert E. Simpson Rare Book and Manuscript Professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, one of the largest public university rare book collections in the country. I used to manage pop culture special collections that include the papers of over 70 SF/F authors at Northern Illinois University. I ...more

Uncanny Magazine (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 1: November/December 2014