Start by marking “Everything Is Under Control: Conspiracies, Cults and Cover-ups” as Want to Read:
Everything Is Under Control: Conspiracies, Cults and Cover-ups

Everything Is Under Control: Conspiracies, Cults and Cover-ups

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  1,175 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Before the X-Files, before alt.conspiracy, there was Robert Anton Wilson and his legendary Illuminatus! Trilogy. Now this avatar of conspiriology, renowned for his razor wit and progressive philosophy, takes you on a fascinating, eclectic ride through what Wilson has termed the "Cultic Twilight" where conspiracy theories flourish. Everything Is Under Control covers the ran ...more
Published June 23rd 1998 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Everything Is Under Control, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything Is Under Control

David B
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wilson and co-author Hill present a breezy overview of conspiracy thinking that is concise and entertaining even if it is not comprehensive. A novice to the world of conspiracy, I enjoyed starting with an entry and following the cross-references around the book. The JFK assassination, UFOs, organized religion, the Council on Foreign Relations, the plan to genetically engineer a flying elephant--it's all here. Even if you, like me, believe that conspiracy enthusiasts are out to lunch, you may fin ...more
Jason
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is an encyclopedia, and if you don't like reading encyclopedias you won't like it. In the Age of Wikipedia, EVERYTHING IS UNDER CONTROL can seem a bit quaint. It's also a bit dated; 20 years old now, Wilson's book spends a bit too much time talking about conspiracy theories which were very much on our collective minds in the 90s, but which don't make a whole lot of press or sense now. The most obvious example of this is repressed memory therapy, which Wilson clearly finds not just laug ...more
Alissa
No conceptual frame to speak of, and quite a bit of juggling, but fun and not bad for catching up with the polyphony / mishmash of the conspirological thinking or what goes for such.
JT
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Since it is effectively an encyclopedia, this is not a sit down and read from A-Z sort of book. It is, however, a fantastic compendium to keep around the house for reference, laughs, and great quick reads from time to time.

The book cross references itself throughout, so like Wikipedia, you'll find yourself jumping around from topic to intertwined topic (feeding the octopus conspiracy sort of stuff the book deals with).

For anyone that finds crackpot, and occasionally reasonable, conspiratology fu
Shelly Bajwa
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For someone who has literally grown up on tomes of encyclopaedias, this was reminder of all the moments spent on a lazy afternoon on a balcony, trying to decipher the various questions buzzing in my head. On to the book, this was my first Robert Anton Wilson book and I was surprised to see the utter wit and sass that had been incorporated into the writing, making it not only an informative but an enjoyable read too. If you are looking for a Wikipedia kind of a book, with lengthy details, this bo ...more
David Bonesteel
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kevin Brady
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved it. By putting all the different conspiracies together, in one volume, it shows how many different things are afoot. Whenever your focus gets too narrow, it starts to seem like one group or cult or whatever is running the show, but that's just an error in thinking. Instead, it's hundreds, if not thousands of groups running the show, and they're all weird, most of them are heartless sociopaths. That's why any of them are ever exposed: the others expose them, and try to seize their niche in ...more
Chris LaMay-West
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: unexplained
Loved it! This was my bedtime reading for several months, and it made me alternately more paranoid and more skeptical, as Robert Anton Wilson provides his trademark agnosticism while cataloging every conspiracy of the right, left and middle. I got more background on areas I already knew well, and was introduced to some whole new dread cabals and twisted plots. I also had a lot of fun launching web searches while I was reading for further research. It pays to do that, as some things seem less dee ...more
Matthew Q Lorenz
Entertaining, funny and (maybe) scary?

R.A.W writes in the usual humorist tone, while sharing what still amounts to the most popular conspire theories. As a novice, this book will appeal to learn, as a grizzled conspiracy vet, it'll serve to at least laugh at all the absurdities, whatever the truth really is.

I will say the book is too old in that most of the web links provided to follow up on his sources, no longer work. Which proved sad, but not the fault of the book. I'd love to see updated sou
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, pseudoscience
Robert Anton Wilson pulls out all stops and jams everything nutty and conspiracy-related into this encyclopedia for nuts and cranks. Drawing material from numerous books written by loonies (himself included), pocket lint, internet rumors, things he found in his nose, junk mail he has received and more(!) he outlines many (though certainly not all) fantasies of conspiratorially minded crazy people of 1998 with wit and not a small amount of skepticism.
Forn
Nov 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich bin mir bei R.A. Wilson ja nie sicher, wie ernst er das Ganze meint. Ich hatte mal versucht, dass mit der King James Bibel und Shakespeare zu verifizieren, hatte aber keinen Erfolg. Auf jeden Fall ist interessant, was die Leute alles so glauben. Manches regt auch durchaus zum ernsthaften Nachdenken an und man lernt auch den Begriff der Verschwörung in einem weiteren Kontext zu sehen. Ein Muss für jeden, der an diesem Thema Spaß hat. :D
Jan 08, 2009 rated it liked it
This was pretty good. It is more of a reference book and probably shouldn't be read from cover to cover. It had some neat conspiracy theories in it. While I believe there are some cover-ups and conspiracies I just can't believe there are that many.
Jul 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Them.
The late Robert Anton Wilson is a compassionate, personable guide through the dark crevices and crannies of history, pseudo-history, and simple human wackiness. Feel free to believe any, or, why not, ALL of the shattering truths contained within. Just don't tell them I told you . . .
Craig J.
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Like any Robert Anton Wilson book, you end it feeling like there are at least 23 things you want to know more about. Not quite as exhilarating as many of his other books, but definitely a worthwhile reference work.
Mar 11, 2008 rated it liked it
An alphabetized reference guide listing and describing secret societies, conspiracy theories, etc. The entries, which are cross-referenced with each other, are sometimes short in length; however, Wilson supplies web addresses for readers who want to find out more.
Derek Baldwin
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A primer of conspiracy theories. made-up theories (for example the significance of 23), stuff scratched on toilet walls, and generally any weird stuff you could possibly think of. Extremely funny at times and chasing the cross-references around the book is great fun.
Nick
Dec 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Arranged in encyclopedia format, this book is a nice introduction to various conspiracies. It also does a nice job of pointing the reader toward other books to further educate on specific topics, including full entries on many important books.
Brandon
Mar 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: occult, reference, madness
Everyone loves a conspiracy. There are plenty to choose from here.
Micelle Miseracorde
Mar 10, 2009 is currently reading it
tons of fun in the conspiracy cage.
Dave Haskins
Weirdness
Lina Edgarsson
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Despite the fact that this book is more of a compendium, I had no trouble reading it from first to last page. An interesting read that kept me up many nights just wanting to read "one more".
David
Nov 04, 2013 added it
I have to admit, I haven't completely read every entry, but I've read the great majority of it.
Del
Dec 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A great book for LARPwriters and other strange people who need ideas about various conspiracy theories written in a style that amuses and informs at the same time.
Keith Davis
Nov 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Most of this material is familiar if you have ever read about conspiracy theories, but Robert Anton Wilson was the king of conspiracy theory fiction, so his authorship makes this book a must read.
Steve
Dec 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Too much rehash but still a lot of fun.
Martha
Apr 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 4-stars
A hysterical rundown of various conspiracy theories, compiled by someone who obviously doesn't believe the vast majority of them. Great fun to read.
Chris
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Coffee-table book for sure. Extremely entertaining, and a good way to bring up RAW to Sheeple that come over to your house.
Jessica
Apr 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good
nice encyclopedia on conspiracy theories. but keep in mind the main word "theory."
Jovany Agathe
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this book 45 times... And will read it again and again..
John Robinson
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a really, really, really fun book. It's RAW at his most free and honest. And, you learn things.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions 3 13 May 01, 2017 11:10AM
  • 60 Greatest Conspiracies Of All Time - History's Biggest Mysteries, Cover-ups, And Cabals
  • Above Top Secret: Uncover the Mysteries of the Digital Age
  • The David Icke Guide to the Global Conspiracy: And How to End It
  • The United States of Paranoia: A Conspiracy Theory
  • Deep Politics and the Death of JFK
  • The Mammoth Book of Cover-Ups: The 100 Most Terrifying Conspiracies of All Time
  • To the Best of My Ability
  • The CIA And The Cult Of Intelligence
  • The Cold War: A History
  • The Man Who Kept The Secrets: Richard Helms And The CIA
  • The Secret Team: The CIA & its Allies in Control of the United States & the World
  • Six Seconds in Dallas: A Micro-Study of the Kennedy Assassination
  • Proofs of a Conspiracy
  • High Treason: The Assassination of JFK & the Case for Conspiracy
  • The Contours of American History
  • The Imperial Presidency
  • The Kennedy Conspiracy
  • The Unseen Hand: An Introduction to the Conspiratoral View of History
Robert Anton Wilson became, at various times, an American novelist, essayist, philosopher, polymath, psychonaut, futurist, libertarian and self-described agnostic mystic. Recognized as an Episkopos, Pope, and Saint of Discordianism by Discordians who care to label him as such, Wilson helped publicize the group/religion/melee through his writings, interviews, and strolls.

He described his work as an
“Men (and women) indeed become strange when seeking gods. As the present work will show, however, they become even stranger when seeking devils.” 1 likes