Start by marking “The Gospel According to Blindboy” as Want to Read:
The Gospel According to Blindboy

The Gospel According to Blindboy

The Gospel According to Blindboy is a surreal and genre-defying collection of short stories and visual art exploring the myths, complacencies and contradictions at the heart of modern Ireland. Covering themes ranging from love and death to sex and politics, there's a story about a girl from Tipp being kicked out of ISIS, a van powered by Cork people's accents and a man who ...more
Published October 20th 2017 by Gill Books

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel According to Blindboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel According to Blindboy

Start your review of The Gospel According to Blindboy
Barry Pierce
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In 1916 in the Cabaret Voltaire in Zurich a man named Hugo Ball is standing on a small stage dressed in a suit made of cardboard. He opens his mouth and out comes a procession of nonsense words and sounds. He sounds like he’s having a stroke. But what he’s saying isn’t nonsense, it’s a poem he wrote called Karawane. And you in the audience, you’re a young man who is disillusioned by the war happening around you. Machines are killing man. How did this happen? Modern life has become an absurdity. ...more
Lauren Olmeda
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the weirdest book I’ve ever read and it’s brilliant.
Ryan Lally
Blindboy has been lauded as ‘the voice of a generation’ by of some of his peers and is the self-proclaimed architect of a new aesthetic/literary style he refers to as, ‘gas cuntism’. This aesthetic is centred around a delirious postmodern mash-up of ancient Irish history, dole merchants, mental health problems, politics and drugs, all delivered though a, slashing modern Irish vernacular.

Blindboy retorts to have great admiration and respect for Ireland’s magnificent literary lineage. There is cer
Angelique
When I started it, it was definitely a 5 star for me. What changed? I think he's not fully aware that his misogynistic tendencies can read less like parody more like truth. I met heard him talk and I have a lot of love and respect for him. He's the new voice of this weird new Ireland/voice of his generation. I like his feminism, but it still needs some work. He sort of makes fun of this, in the story with the man who wears the Repeal sweatshirt and runs a pizza place. Some of these are so wonder ...more
Jessica Anthony
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! I loved it
Nancy Wilde
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
An instant favourite! Brilliantly twisted, rollercoaster-like unpredictable and witty. Blindboy's elaborate eloquence and disturbing complexity is definitely not for everybody, which only makes it more irresistible. Some of the short stories are pure nightmare material, part bad trip, part introspective crisis, refreshed by an exhilarating fearlessness. I'd like to see David Cronenberg and Danny Boyle pairing up and bringing these stories to a screen - or maybe not, better leave them on those ad ...more
Maeve Winters
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cathal
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Top class gas cuntism. The book is kind of undefineable. You will be reading the story thinking "ok, this is a grand wee story", then it will veer off course, skid, spin and crash in a ball of flames leaving no survivors. Only problem with this book was I read it way too quick. <3 ...more
Conor Mcvarnock
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent collection of shorts, somewhat in the grand tradition of Irish Short Story writing of the last century but with some of the surrealism of Flann O'Brien by way of Will Self. There's a little uneven-ness, some of the stories bang harder than others, but each of them says something about Ireland and what it is to be Irish in the current age.

Favourite story - The Batter, a satire on the lifestyle and mentality of contemporary Dublin new media hispters.

Least Favourite - Lackland Candlewax,
Jason Lee
Interesting and strange....some stories better than other but overall not a bad book. Had me wondering what the hell I was reading....but in a good way.
Ewan
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with Limmy's books, I expect that if you're reading this, you have some familiarity with the author's work outside of this book. Blindboy is one half of the Rubberbandits, best known for their comedy music videos; he also has a weekly podcast which seems to have been started partly to promote this book, but broadened out to tackle a vast array of topics, and has become immensely popular.

Another thing this book has in common with Limmy's is that as I read it, I struggled not to picture the mai
Peter Cartwright
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book of short stories, published last year (2017), to quote a review in the Irish Times “is not for the faint hearted”. Nonetheless it has made quite a splash, selling to number 1 on some book charts. Frankly, I’d never heard of it until a mate suggested reading it.
Blindboy Boatclub, real name Dave Chambers, is half the music/comedy duo “The Rubberbandits” who feature hip hop music and off-beat bizarre comedy sketches, originates from Limerick in Ireland. Some have suggested staying away un
Joe Loftus
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
You can’t go into this book expecting Flann O’Brien. I think that’s the mistake I made. This is a completely new voice inspired by the likes of Flann, Beckett, Joyce. The Holy Trinity. When I began reading it I enjoyed it but wasn’t blown away. Perhaps I was being snobbish. Perhaps I wasn't. I don't know. But either way I was wrong. As the book moved on, from story to next story, from Ten Foot Hen Binding to Arse Children, Shovel Duds to Erskine, The Bournville Chorus to Lackland Candlewax (one ...more
Therese Lyons Walsh
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book outside my usual genre, I found this at my local library and I’m quite happy I did.

Blindboy grows from strength to strength as a modern satirist. And what we have is a collection of short stories that border the line of pure absurdity and it’s really quite an interesting mix.

Without going into each and every story, each one has brilliant colloquialisms, fantastic tangents on science, philosophy, psychology, art and all manner of things.

‘The Batter’ is a particular highlight of the collect
Finbarr
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Blindboy - have always found his music with the Rubber Bandits entertaining and am an avid listener to his podcast. I bought this book with great expectation and mostly it lived up to those. Of 15 stories, I would say eight are excellent, three are very good with a handful that didn't maintain the same quality.

Everything I enjoy about his ramblings on the podcast is here in abundance: brilliant colloquialisms, fantastic tangents on science, philosophy, psychology, art and all manner of t
Anne-marie
Can’t say I really enjoyed this. It certainly contains a random selection of stories, often very crude and with a very dark twist. I did pause a few times and wonder would if I should continue with the book and admittedly skipped a few stories. There was one great story about anxiety - I loved the notion of anxiety as a bully. “That’s what anxiety is, it’s a bully, it’s the bully in your head that knows exactly how to hurt you the most”. Generally, the book reminds me of Black Mirror (Netflix) a ...more
Michael Byrne
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
As much as I'd love to say this is great (because I really find Blindboy an amazing voice for a forward-thinking Ireland), I'm afraid I can't. One or two stories aside, the majority of tales in the compendium have a tendency to lurch (and I think that's really the most apt way of putting it) from an interest-pricking showing to a ineptly handled telling.
And it doesn't just happen once, it happens quite a number of times: taking stories that are just about getting into their stride and stranglin
Terry Clague
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Someone once advised me that Limerick is known as "Stab City", which seemed barely believable when I visited and less so now I've experienced this work from one of it's more well healed sons.

A collection of short stories, written by a hipster hoaxer, endorsed by Russell Brand,
beloved by hundreds of thousands of mid-twenties men. I'm not sure what I was thinking. A couple of highlights, suggested by the loaner of the book, though my rapidly declining memory has their details peeling away like
Keith
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The writing is good in spells but is frustrating for the most part. Blindboy’s Russell Brandesque verbosity becomes exhausting and many of the stories descend into a slurry pit of staccato shitetalk that is hard to endure.

Overall it was enjoyable but I think Blindboy needs to work more on plot development and less on trying to sound clever. He’s a big fan of Kevin Barry and mimics his writing style but without any of the subtlety. I did laugh out loud at times and some of the stories managed to
David Cowpar
This book was hilarious, bonkers, weird, disturbing, thoughtful, on point, off the wall, historical, mental, about mental health, full of drugs, inspirational and a lot of things in between.

Blindboy is a fantastic writer. The ideas are so off the wall but often so real. He is hilarious, but also disturbing. This book falls into a self-named genre called “gas cuntism” and to be honest it doesn’t fit well into any other genre of literature.

I know he is writing more and so looking forward to the
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Tough to get into at first but once you get used to his writing style, it’s so so funny and bizarre and brilliant. No regrets about pushing through the first two or three stories, you learn to go into them with an open mind and I’ve been pleasantly surprised by them! I would encourage any modern Irish person to read this - or any one interested in modern Irish society and history and how they collide - to read this.
Creed
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the strangest things I've ever read. Every twist was unexpected and each story was enjoyable in a different way. Hard to choose a favourite but I really liked the Ríthe Chorcaí, and the one about the birds, and the bog. Arse children and the slaughterhouse were at times disgusting but I was impressed the whole way through at how well written it was, the descriptions and dialogue and narrative were all unique and overall it was an excellent read.
Patrick McNamara
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. I wonder about the mind and imagination that created this writing, it's brilliant yet disturbing that someone can have these thoughts. Read it and be taken to a place you didn't think could exist. For Irish readers it gives a particularly disturbing view of Collins and Dev, but one that had it been published fifty years ago(it would have been banned like so many writers were at the time) would certainly have changed Irish political views. Recommended.
Jo
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finished this book in a day. Couldn’t get enough. Couldn’t pace myself or show down. And just when I thought there was a story I wasn’t going to get, it all revealed itself. A voice of a generation, a mental health advocate, self confessed cuck & champion of equality (if more evidenced in his podcast than this book)
I will devour anything else he produces.
Elizabeth
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting is the word that springs to mind for this book. Blindboy has an unique writing style, maybe it's because I'm from Limerick and the local references, but this book made me laugh out loud. No story ended where I thought it would. My favourite story was the second last one, 'Did you read about Erskine Fogarty'.
I'm not sure if everyone will enjoy this book. I certainly did.
Colm
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Glorious, twisted, chaotic, beautiful art. Spectacular imagery related in a Limerick patois. No clapped out metaphors here. Here, the descriptions are so perfect they jump off the page. Every time I thought I’d come across a mediocre story in this collection, I was side-stepped so suddenly that I was left clutching at air. Superb.
Derek Bridge
Blindboy can add short-story writing to his list of many talents. But this collection is not wholly satisfactory. There are some great ideas, and the execution is good. But there's something missing. Perhaps playing too much to his perceived audience, there's an attempt at shock value. But there's little dramatic tension, and almost no psychological depth to the characters.
Deirdriu McQuaid (Maguire)
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nick
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One or two really interesting stories, some very funny ones, some not funny at all and then some stories that were just outright weird.
Probably not a book I would ever read again, was expecting and hoping for more stories on serious issues like mental health and social issues from an Irish point of view.
Megan Finter
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was recommended the Blindboy podcast and listened to the episode Scaphism, in which he reads out his short story of the same name, I was immediately enrapt and bought a copy of this book. A fantastically creative series of short stories featuring unreliable narrators, squeamish scenes and the subversion of Irish history and culture. Can’t recommend it enough!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Night Boat to Tangier
  • Constellations
  • Schmidt Happens
  • People Like Me
  • Burned: The Inside Story of the ‘Cash-for-Ash’ Scandal and Northern Ireland’s Secretive New Elite
  • From a Low and Quiet Sea
Blindboy Boatclub is one half of the famed artist duo the Rubberbandits. Along with Mr. Chrome, the Rubberbandits started working together in 2000 but shot to international fame in 2010 upon the release of their song 'Horse Outside'. Their debut album 'Serious About Men' was released in 2011.

The duo are famed for their satirical and biting takes on Irish culture and are easily identifiable by the

News & Interviews