Start by marking “Between the Buyer and the Seller” as Want to Read:
Between the Buyer and the Seller

Between the Buyer and the Seller

Why is it difficult to find Feta Cheese in Bangalore, or mango pickles in Barcelona? Why are tourists encouraged to bargain? Why do startup platforms provide heavy incentives to their users? And why is it difficult to find the right date using dating apps? The answer to any of these questions rests with a mysterious entity, who quietly exists between the buyer and the ...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 277 pages
Published September 8th 2017 by Takshashila Institution

To ask other readers questions about Between the Buyer and the Seller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between the Buyer and the Seller

Start your review of Between the Buyer and the Seller
Sai Teja Pratap
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book presents a lot of insights about how markets work. It talks about various topics related to 'markets' - how liquidity matters (with a primer on 2008 crash), whether or not brokers add value etc.

The book being india centric made it even more interesting for me.
Siddarth Gore
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Price needs buyer.

This book has innumerable insights into things that happen all around us. In markets, in stock exchanges, in farms as well as in boardrooms and bedrooms.

It is a very easy read as Karthik uses his own experiences as well as everyday events and situations to explain how economics can be used to understand these things. There are plenty of anecdotes and stories from Istanbul’s Grand bazaar to the APMC market in Bangalore to keep things interesting. Though there is nothing specific
Ankit Agrawal
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Written by Karthik Shashidhar (regular Mint readers may recognise him from his data analysis driven column in the paper), somebody who I know through the Takshashila Institution, the book was an easy pick after I finished reading "Who Gets What and Why" by Alvin Roth on design and structure of markets. Karthik's book is a much easier read for it is written for the layman rather than academics. I was able to finish it in about 4 hours.

The book uses a number of familiar case studies from everyday
Bharat
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karthik Shashidhar makes a strong debut in this book that delightfully captures various analytical essays about various markets, evolving startups, unicorns such as Uber, Ola and taxi aggregators, various pricing strategies such as dynamic pricing, transactions costs and the liquidities in Indian and international markets etc.

This book is easily approachable for anyone who is curious in economics and markets. Computer Science practitioners will also love how game theory and various related
Anuj Sharma
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually do not read non-fiction but I totally enjoyed this book. I heard about it on the Seen Unseen podcast and the discussions about the book made me curious enough to get it and read it and once I started reading it, it was simply too interesting to put down. Very insightful and gives an excellent idea about the markets and liquidity. Totally recommend it to anybody who likes to read about economics, behavioural science and financial markets. If you enjoyed reading Freakonomics then you ...more
Vinayak Hegde
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
A really good on book on market design and the dynamics of two sided marketplaces. My only gripe is that it did not cover the different kinds of auction markets in more detail. What I liked about the book is that it has covered contemporary examples quite well, Overall a good coherent read on a interesting topic.
abhi
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, economics
This was an interesting read. I enjoyed the parallel storytelling structure—this made a lot of the text more accessible to a first-timer like me. I enjoyed the writing style, but I felt in places that it could've used a good editor.

Really good book, nonetheless. I'll probably read it again some time.
Dhananjay Kulkarni
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you have not read books on economics, price discovery, elasticity, demand and supply curves, then this is a good first read. If you have already read some book on these topics, then you may skip this one.
Nagesh
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant economic insights!!

Freakanomics kind of approach applied to Indian contexts. Book provides marvelous examples from Indian contexts. Though the book is supposed to be on heavy economics, the insights are simple enough for layman to understand..
Padmashri
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was not very fast paced read. Enjoyable insights, though got boring after the demonitization bit.
Rajat Upadhyaya
Sep 21, 2017
Priyanka Bharadwaj
Feb 10, 2018

• Value SaaS Basecamp Guide: An Indian founders guide to achieve first $10K MRR
  • Raavan: Enemy of Aryavarta (Ram Chandra #3)
  • Dongri To Dubai : Six Decades of The Mumbai Mafia
  • An Orchestra of Minorities
  • गुनाहों का देवता
  • The English Patient
  • Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture
  • Istanbul: Memories and the City
  • The Case of the Love Commandos (Vish Puri, #4)
  • I Do What I Do