Start by marking “The Renegade Spy (Department 89, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Renegade Spy (Department 89, #1)

The Renegade Spy

(Department 89 #1)

Librarian note: Older cover of B074LC68S9.

A Deadly Assassin Is After The German Chancellor - But The Assassin Is In Even More Danger Than He Realises.
A page-turning debut novella in the tradition of Daniel Silva, Mark Dawson, and Robert Ludlum, The Renegade Spy is the story of a deadly and maverick female German Intelligence agent, tasked with saving the life of the
Published August 4th 2017 by Obsessed With Books

To ask other readers questions about The Renegade Spy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Renegade Spy

Start your review of The Renegade Spy (Department 89, #1)
Linda
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW OH WOW! I could hardly read faster enough to keep up with the action, and I'm a SPEED READER! I couldn't help but root for the villain as I wanted him to win as he GREW on me. The Scorpion is relentless and he needs to complete the job for another cool ten million in Euros another cool ten million Euros and then he would vanish as no one knew what he looked like. You have to hand it to Captain Sophie Decker, a deadly female German Intelligent Agent her task is to keep the Chancellor safe, bu ...more
Pamela Harju
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable

This is not a genre I often read, but I got the book for free from Amazon, so why not?
This is a good read. It goes straight to the point, and the book keeps a fast pace throughout. I particularly enjoyed seeing the bad guy's side of the story.
It's clear that this is meant as a series opener, but it's a complete story on its own. It's up to you if you want to read the next installment...
Tom Casey
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant read, fast paced with action galore, Very well written and descriptions of what’s happen are very clear.
Cast of characters are spot on, I received this book as an ARC and decided to happily give a review,
Now on too the next book in the series.
Amy
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
The premise is exciting, but the story itself is nothing new. The characters are dull, with very little personality that goes beyond their particular roles in the plot, and the dialogue (although snappy) is cheesy and predictable.
The story is fast-paced, however - you can easily fly through the book in a day, and I appreciated how tight the plot was. It was quick to read, and enjoyable at surface level.

My biggest issue was with the writing. The grammar is frequently awkward, punctuation isn't
Denise
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From an opening scene reminiscent of a James Bond film, we meet the Scorpion, a sniper, whose next assignment is to kill the Chancellor of Germany. Scorpion is a sympathetic villain in this first book of a series. He reminds me of The Man from St. Petersburg by Ken Follett. The author seems to build his character more, than that of his adversary. As a cat and mouse game with the heroine, Captain Sophie Decker, a female German Intelligence Agent from Department 89, quickens, the body count goes u ...more
Jay Williams
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book went by very quickly. It was easy to read, it had interesting characters, and the plot was exciting and full of suspense. The author does a great job on the interactions between the players, and shows the attitude Sophie Decker faces in doing her job. I have read other books in the Department 89 series, so it was interesting to go back and see how things began. I recommend this book highly.
Asiaman
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another very good Assassin book by Mark O'Neill. The female agent is a woman named Decker and she is a top notch heroine. This book is themed on an Assassin named Scorpion who is the best in the business. He is hired to assassinate the German Chancellor and there is plenty of insight into setting up a "hit" in this book. It is a quick read for Assassination aficionados as the pages keep turning. ...more
Norman
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
am amazing and realistic story about an assassin named Skorpion who is hired to kill the German counselor . Against him is Cpt Decker a female agent with plenty of guts and a witty sense of humor who has little respect for authority or politics with her reasoning being that they are only out for personal gain. A lot of suspense and well worth reading.
Charlotte
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received a complimentary copy of the book from the author through Voracious Readers Only.

The plot is thrilling and pulls you in, but the poor punctuation within speech detracts from the quality of the story. There are commas missing and unnecessary commas added all over the place.

If you can get past this, this book is worth a read.
Ken Robson
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A new author to me, but one that is looking good.

Meet Sophie Decker a German spy who is not liked by her boss for being too different. But who has the backing of the deputy director. She is tasked with keeping the German Chancellor safe from a credible death treat.

Well paced and keeps you interested all the way through.

Norberta C. Muniz
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The renegade spy

Great reading. First book I have read from this author. I enjoyed the story line not to mention the Captain Sophie Decker character. I am ready for the next one in this series . Mr. O’Neill is an author to follow if you are a fan of spy thrillers.
Gray
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
THE SCORPION IS WHERE?

Is not the most deep book with accuracy but is not bad. The story of a killer named "SCORPION" who rules his future but at the same time fall for his own ego. There's bad
D.F. Hart
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked it!

Good basis of characters, intriguing premise. Fast-moving and gripping from page 1. The Renegade Spy kept my attention and was a thrill ride all the way through. Looking forward to "The Reichsbank Gold."
Anja Peerdeman
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Truly, Mark O’Neill’s writing is epic. In this novel, I had absolutely no clue what-so-ever how the story was going to unfold. I like that, not knowing what the bloody hell is going on. Keeps things exciting. Can’t wait to read more !
Britt
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intruiged

My mom suggested that I check out this series. I'm glad she did. I liked Sophie Decker and I'm intruiged to see what comes next. The writing is a bit choppy in parts, heavy on action and bare bones in places, but I enjoyed it.
Mal Hudson
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
one badass heroine, would the powers that be sanction this in real life. Probably not even though it is what's needed ...more
Yvonne
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another intriguing story

I always enjoy Mark O'Neill's books and this was no exception. He always comes up with novel ideas and a lot of action.
Sherry McWilliams
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Received a free copy for a review. Wow, great story. Couldn't put it down until I had finished it. ...more
Di
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of action. Easy read
Steve Martinson
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good book! Tons of action and sets up for a very exciting series. I am anxious to read more!
Eric
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a fast read. I liked one character, the protagonist. Plot was reasonable,but could have been filed out more.
Helen
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved it. Thought she was American at first but soon realized what was going on. Well written, interesting characters I look forward to watching develop in future titles.
Madhur Mehta
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing spy thriller

To the point plot, nowhere in the book, the story stray's away from the plot. Full of action and amazing, strong female characters.

Very engaging plot
Tony Parsons
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What was the Scorpion (German assassin, former French Foreign Legion) up to tonight?
He unlocked his case/opened the lid, to reveal the 700-meter sniper rifle inside.
The silencer was put into place at the end of the barrel.
Now sit/wait for his target to appear.
Vladimir Rostov (45+, Russian crime boss) had gotten a call to meet someone at the Adlon Hotel.

BANG! The 3 bodyguards looked on in horror as their employer lay on the pavement in a pool of blood. BANG; BANG; BANG!
The Scorpion headed for the
Annette Spratte
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Do you like James Bond? Lots of action, espionage, organized crime and top agents who always get into trouble with their superiors because they break every available rule?

You're going to love Sophie Decker. She's a German intelligence captain about to be fired, when a top-ranking official puts out his hand and gives her a job that will push her to the far edge of her professional skills.

The Skorpion, ruthless and faceless assassin, has been hired to murder the German chancellor and Decker has to
Al
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2017
There is a lot to like about this book. The overall story is good. The characters are okay and the author puts words together well enough.

The problem is when you get into the details of the story there are things that happen or the characters do that aren’t credible. For example, Captain Decker doing things that are of questionable legality. Pushing the limits some of the time might be believable, but she did this too much for me to buy into it.

Then when the bad guy in this story, The Scorpion
Denise
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018, own
Short but actionpacked from start to finish, this series opener pitches a ruthless professional assassin known as the Scorpion hired to kill the German Chancellor Claudia Meyer against German Intelligence officer Captain Sophie Decker, who has been tasked with eliminating the threat using any means necessary.

A fast-paced and engaging read with a kickass protagonist. The story is told from alternating viewpoints, letting the reader follow both Sophie and the assassin all the way to their inevitab
Will Decker
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The overall plot wasn't too bad and overall it was an entertaining story if you overlooked all the parts that didn't add up. No one in law enforcement would be given the latitude that Decker was given. And what happened to the master criminal drug lord's body guards when the cops go after him. Suddenly he's all alone. Too many discrepancies that eventually devalue the story. Writing style was okay and the editing was super clean and there is an ongoing mystery involving the Scorpion's unknown so ...more
Cyndi
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing

For being his first book Mark O'Neill is off to a great start. I even thought I had figured out who the informant was, to find I was totally wrong. This is a fast paced action thriller, that keeps you guessing through the book. I highly recommend this book. It is starting alone but there are some questions left hanging that we will hopefully get answers too in the next book. This book is
currently free so grab it while you can!
Marcus
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review

This was a quick read with plenty of in your face action with some very graphic scenes, It is basically a story about a very professional assassin versus a very professional lawman with the outcome constantly changing due to the present situation. It was a very interesting and satisfying read with plenty of surprises.

• Department 89 books 1-3
  • Fire & Ice (Icefire Trilogy #1)
  • Steady Trouble
  • The Warhol Incident (Alexis Parker #2)
  • Hallelujah Is Dying (Flint Harrington Mysteries #1)
  • What Remains of Heaven (Sebastian St. Cyr, #5)
  • The Far Shore
  • The Twenty-Sided Sorceress Books One-Three: Justice Calling, Murder of Crows, Pack of Lies
  • Outlaw Road (A Hunter Kincaid Novel)
  • The Iron Maiden (Dr. Anja Toussaint #1.5)
  • Soot Angel (Dr. Anja Toussaint #1)
  • Deadly Fate (Krewe of Hunters, #19)
  • Haunted Destiny (Krewe of Hunters, #18)
  • Forever Grace (Ever After, #2)
  • Dancers in the Dark
  • The Chance (Thunder Point, #4)
  • Autumn Thorns (Whisper Hollow, #1)
  • World of Trouble (The Last Policeman, #3)
Mark is a 40-something Scotsman, now living the expatriate lifestyle in Würzburg, Germany. He is married to a beautiful German woman, and is part-owner to a gorgeous but crazy dog that likes to push him around.

Mark has been writing for 30 years, and is now an independently published fiction eBook author. In the past, he has also travelled around Europe, and worked in other industries such as the B

Department 89 (8 books)
  • The Reichsbank Gold (Department 89 #2)
  • The Executioner (Department 89 #3)
  • The Traitor (Department 89 #4)
  • Operation Eternal Vengeance (Department 89 #5)
  • Regime Change: No Dictator Lasts Forever (Department 89 #6)
  • Operation Thunderbolt (Department 89 #7)
  • Valkyrie (Department 89 #8)