Start by marking “Mixed: An Anthology of Short Fiction on the Multiracial Experience” as Want to Read:
Mixed: An Anthology of Short Fiction on the Multiracial Experience

Mixed: An Anthology of Short Fiction on the Multiracial Experience

Though multiracialism has recently become a popular aspect of many memoirs and novels, "Mixed" is the first of its kind: a fiction anthology with racial overlap as its compass. With original pieces by both established and emerging writers, "Mixed" explores the complexities of identity that come with being a multiracial person.

Every story, crafted by authors who are
Published August 17th 2006 by W. W. Norton Company (first published August 14th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mixed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mixed

Start your review of Mixed: An Anthology of Short Fiction on the Multiracial Experience
Ezra
In case you have not yet figured it out, I am bi-racial. For many situations strangers know I am neither black nor white, but they do not know where to place me. I myself did not know where to put me.

I enjoyed reading about others with the same issues. I hoped to get more inspiration that being mixed is a good thing that maybe everyone should try. Maybe that is the book I will have to write.
Jerome Brown
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great and quick read. Each author has a multiracial background (not just black and white but possibly Indian, Scottish, Vietnamese, etc.) and has a written a short story. The stories begin with a quick background on the author and end with a note from the author on how they came up with their story (some were based on their own lives, others took themes and wove them in with personal experiences). There were many stories that left me wanting more, which is what I hate about short fiction. If ...more
T.Y. Lee
Aug 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
Some of these stories were insightful, and some were just bizarre and seemingly pointless (I did appreciate that each author wrote commentary on their piece after each short story though). I didn't expect all of these writers to feel like being mixed was such a tragedy.

In the end, I just ended up feeling like there was something inherently wrong with me for not feeling extreme discord or self-loathing because of my mixed ethnicity. Apparently my "best of both worlds" and "who even cares,
Camelia Rose
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of short stories about multiracial experiences. Written by writers who are multi-racial themselves, however, they are not mini-biographies. I enjoyed most of them, although they are not always the same quality and depth.

My favourites:

The anthropologists' kids by Ruth Ozeki
A poignant and innocent tale with a dark edge, very fitting in today's global political climate. I am fan of Ruth Ozeki's lucid and effortless writing.

Minotaur by Peter Ho Davies
A modern fable of a
Ciara
Nov 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people of mixed race descent, fiction writers, those tolerant of ambiguous interpretation
i stumbled across this at the library & decided to check it out. it's an anthology of stories from various authors that relate in some way to being mixed race. the stories really cover a wide spectrum when it comes to genre & interpreting the subject matter, which is sometimes good & sometimes bad. writing these reviews has compelled me to understand that i have some kind of mental block against anything excessively fanciful & impressionistic, which is probably why i don't like a ...more
Melody Martin
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I usually always skip the forwards and introductions, but this time I didn’t. And man, am I glad I didn’t! Something told me not to. I knew I struggled with identity, but I didn’t realize just how much I did until I read the foreword and introduction to this book. People ask me what I am ALL of the time, and yes, I laugh it off, because honestly, what else can I do when even I don’t know the answer to that question?
I’m in a constant battle with which side I identify more with, and it changes all
Reba
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This collection started out so strong for me. I couldn't believe my ELA teachers weren't using some of these stories and didn't have this collection in their classrooms. But then...as all too often happens with story collections, I've hit some weak parts. I am in the middle now and I've read two very disappointing stories back-to-back. I just could not love Gift Giving or Shadey. There are several stories left, and I will continue to read one a day, but I hope they improve.

Okay, finally done!
arafat
Aug 04, 2007 rated it liked it
Picked it up at the public library, if only because I was struck by the very first line of the first story in the collection ("There used to be this joke at Yale, that in order to get tenure in the Anthropology Department you had to have an Oriental wife"). Some of the stories are more enjoyable than the others, but it's a good read overall and inspires thoughtful reflections on the meaning of being multiracial/multicultural in modern societies obsessed with identity.
Dusty
Sep 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
this book fell into my hands at the perfect moment. it supported my heart and my experience. what more can you ask from a book? some wonderful stories in here by mixed race folks. we come in all shades.
Sherese
May 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
I found this book along with the "Secret Daughter: A Mixed Race Daughter and The Mother Who Gave Her Away" by June Cross while I was searching for another book on Amazon.com. Both of these books were listed as a recommendation, so I read some reviews antheyd then placed a hold on both books at my local library. I'm not a huge fan of short stories I find they often fall flat of complete story telling. I like to have a beginning, middle and an end in a story and I find that most short stories do ...more
Daniel
Read this as I was preparing to lead a multi-ethnic track at an ethnicity conference. The book is an anthology of bi/multi-ethnic authors writing fictional accounts that reflect the multi-ethnic experience.

What I appreciated was the ability of fiction to highlight certain tension points and frustrations and experiences of the authors. Some authors even use fantasy (e.g. the Minotaur story told from his perspective... living in neither world and thus set apart and alone) to make a point.

Jill Sergeant
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Bi/multiracial families, couples & parents of mixed children
As the white parent of a biracial young adult, I found most of the stories in this anthology very absorbing with plenty of food for thought.

They cover many different aspects of the bi & multiracial experience and though there's a tendency towards negative perspectives, it's got a few with positive perspectives as well, that provide some balance.

I've reviewed it on my blog: http://maamej.wordpress.com/2014/10/0...
Sarah Hannah
Though I had to put it down a lot to get to other things, I thought this book was pretty solid. Contemporary collections of short fiction always freak me out, because whether they're solo attempts or anthologies, they're usually so bad and so purple. But nearly everything in here was really good, and I could swear I read "Unacknowledged" somewhere else, but it must have been published later, because there's nothing in the copyrights to suggest that. Help!
Jocelyn
May 16, 2010 marked it as to-read
Already I'm wary, presuming the promo copy reflects the book's [political:] framework as the editor and contributors envisioned.

To read alongside Amalgamation Schemes: Antiblackness and the Critique of Multiracialism, by Jared Sexton (Note: halfway through Sexton's book, and so far I've found his theory and writing breathtaking, paradigm-shifting and intellectually fearless).
Nat Smith
Jan 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, liberation
I'm scared that this is gonna piss me off. but here goes..
Nope, not pissed off. I think Iwould rather analysis and memoir on this topic than short fiction. But, I was introduced to some folks who i hope will be new authors for me, so that was good. there's not enough stuff in the world about being mixed, so I'll take it.
and I love Wayde Compton
Wednesday
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
I never knew being "mixed" could be so downright depressing. Had some high expectations going into the book, the introduction was very uplifting - to bad it seemed to be the most optimistic writing in the book.
Matt
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It's good for people to understand the diversity of experiences for people of mixed heritage - both within similar mixes, and among different ones. I read this while living in Maui, fittingly enough...
Bekka
Feb 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bekka by: Lauren Perkins
I'm a girl who can't stand short stories and I've got to say this collection was great!
Teen
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
These stories express the myriad identities of the emerging age.
jane
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
A great introduction to some unknown authors. A unique perspective on the multicultural experience.
Mckinley Williams
Mar 30, 2011 is currently reading it
too early to tell. try back later.
Pamela
Aug 10, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: mixed-race
YES FINALLY I'M SO PSYCHED
Willow
Apr 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: shortstories, 2010
An excellent read of a collective fiction by various young and highly laudable authors. Some of the stories were very poignant and striking.
Wendolyn
Jun 09, 2015 marked it as to-read
Recommendation: Enjoyed Emily Raboteau's short story, "Kavita Through Glass" in The Best American Short Stories 2003.
Julie
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sad and beautiful stories of unique human beings whose lives are complicated by the racialization of this world.
danni
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Like every anthology not every story is stellar, but this one is quite good overall. Happy to keep this by my bedside to pick up and peruse every so often.
Dani
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really great anthology. Lots of new (to me) authors and a couple of gems of stories that I'm sure will stick with me for quite some time.

It's nice as someone of mixed racial/ethnic background (particularly as someone whose closest friends do not share that same background) to be reminded that there are other people out there living similar experiences. Who get it. And while I do not share a lot of the same experiences as the characters in these stories there are underlying themes that are so
Michelle
Some excellent pieces and some less than excellent but still good pieces collected in this anthology by multi-racial authors. I did need to jump between this and other reading material (I usually can't read a whole anthology straight through) so I didn't finish before the library loan renewal was concluded. Will return to later.
Craig Stubbs-Race
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Minotaur was good
Emily Sanchez
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Very uneven. I know it's an anthology, but quality varied greatly between authors. Some were really good.

• Caucasia
  • All Over Creation
  • Mixed Feelings: Poems and Stories
  • American Spy
  • Stray Love
  • Patsy
  • How Long 'til Black Future Month?
  • The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother
  • The Incendiaries
  • A Small Place
  • A Really Good Day: How Microdosing Made a Mega Difference in My Mood, My Marriage, and My Life
  • Secret Daughter: A Mixed-Race Daughter and the Mother Who Gave Her Away
  • Half Blood Blues
  • Creepy and Maud
  • Frogs & French Kisses (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • Bras & Broomsticks (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Parties & Potions (Magic in Manhattan, #4)
  • Bone & Bread
ATTENTION ENGLISH/ELA TEACHERS: My YA novel DAMSELFLY is an increasingly popular read in middle and high schools across the country. Damselfly can be read as a stand-alone novel or in tandem with Lord of the Flies as a modern parallel text. The book grapples with modern issues that are relatable to today’s teens: bullying, racism, social media connectivity, and mental illness, among others. ...more