Start by marking “Wyrd Blood” as Want to Read:
Wyrd Blood

Wyrd Blood

(Wyrd ​Blood #1)

Sometimes I wonder what life was like before magic burst into existence, before the Magical War of 810 destroyed our world. What it was like before there were Wyrd Blood, or we were forced into hiding.

And that's what I've been doing for years, hiding me and my crew. But that's about to end. My crew is starving and things are getting dire. When I get desperate enough to t
Published September 10th 2017

Mara
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 1/2

This book started with a bang and ended in a disappointing fizzle. I read the first half and almost couldn't put it down, even with its flaws and holes. But somewhat, somewhere along the chapters the story started to unravel. At 80% I was close to DNF.

One of the main reasons was the heroine that regressed with every chapter. She started as a woman and moved back in time to girl child. I couldn't believe it. Both her and her crew were depicted like dogs: panting around the hand that feeds t
JadeShea
Bugs is starving, and she's trying to hide what she can do, while still trying to get food for her crew. But when she is captured by Ryker, the notorious Wyrd Blood who is supposed to be ruthless, and bad. Things go from bad to worse when he ends up helping, and making her do what he wants.

This book was very very interesting. I didn't like how Bugs acted sometimes, so that's what made it not really a four star, but I really enjoyed the plot, and I loved the end. I'm looking forward to more. Thi
Debbie
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wyrd Blood Book 1
Donna Augustine
Augustine’s first in a new series is a melding of sorts of NA- Urban Fantasy and post apocalyptic fiction set in a world almost a thousand years after the demise of civilization. Her attention to detail in her inventive world building gives readers a clear visual of her fantastic people, places and things. Her main protagonists are a fabulous pair, there’s Bugs a mix of wisdom, innocence and common sense and Ryker an enigma whose quiet strength makes him the perfe
Kelly Clare
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is everything; Subtle humour, a slow-burn relationship, a plot you can't predict. Donna Augustine strikes again!
Rebecca
I honestly don't know what to say about this book. I was a little excited since the premise seemed promising, but I didn't have great expectations. The previous books I read from this author are all similar to this one: Pretty good concept, interesting beginning, then somehow goes rapidly downhill and sort of fizzles out.

Not awful, but just not memorable.

This book is about a girl-thief (I don't even remember her name) who has some power that she has kept hidden her whole life and which she use
Sarah Shiplee
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
For me the issue with this book and the sequel is that the main character and love interest are basically identical to her ‘The Wilds’ series if not incredibly similar to all her series’ MC’s.

The character is this awkward, sheltered woman who has the maturity of a 15 year old and can’t seem to figure out why she gets the warm and fuzzies for this all knowing, mature grumpy guy who is this supposed sexual god. There’s one scene which feels like it’s lifted straight from ‘the wilds’ where the MC
Jo Dawson
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Charged with eeking out a meager life for herself and her crew in the Ruined City, "Bugs" has a trove of secrets, the least of which is that she has Wyrd Blood, that is magical abilities. What should be a blessing leaves her marked for the unscrupulous to exploit, so a secret life is adequate, until she's forced to cut a deal with Ryker, a leader of a nearby colony. An uneasy alliance is formed and Bugs learns there is so much more about life, and herself, then she ever realized.

This was an exc
Colleen Johnson
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazon-reads
Donna Augustine never disappoints me. Set in a world so changed from ours, you've got the main character, Bugs, go through so many changes it keeps your mind set on the next word and the next. I couldn't put this down. If you love magic, brooding romance like characters, a character who talks to worms (really cute), cares deeply for her crew and has a heart as big as the universe, this book is for you.

I loved it!
When a bar of soap is so precious people would kill over it or even living in a hous
Shazcaz
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love Donna Augustine books, great female leads, great unique story lines. This book is no exception. Looking forward to the next instalment. Now need some help making a few decisions so off to find me a worm!
Feminista
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Rating 3.5 out of 5.

Interesting plot and world setting. However I didn't enjoy the Ryken's revolving door.
Michele
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've read the author's Wilds and Ollie Witt series. Bugs, the protagonist of Wyrd Blood, is cut from the same cloth...snarky and antisocial with a past she is unwilling to revisit. Bugs lives in a world where those with magical "wyrd" blood are aggressively hunted by those in power to fight wars. A stubborn survivor, she ekes out an existence along with her loyal crew in a violent Mad Max'esque border community. Not even her crew knows the powerful magic she so desperately hides.

Things change wh
Natalie
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wyrd Blood Book one By Donna Augustine

I absolutely loved this book and the promise of a great series is set in stone. This is another one of those stories that you will get stuck into and will not want to put the book down!
In this book, we meet Bugs who has magic and is known as a wyrd blood – many years ago, during a power struggle, those people who had (too much) magic had a price on their heads and were easily sold or killed and this is still the case today. Living rough in the ruined city, B
Wyrdness
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 stars. This book may have got 4 stars if it was longer and didn't stray in to using few anachronisms. (view spoiler) ...more
Heather Gilbert
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded up

This fantasy packs a punch, one you don’t quite see coming. It took me a few chapters to really get into it, but by the time I did - I was fully invested in Bugs’ story and the epic of her crew. She wise in the ways of her world, but wholly ignorant of the facts of THE world, and what those facts will mean for her and those she fights for. Add in a brooding and talented Wyrd blood who both challenges and taunts her, and you’ve got a story worthy to be told.

Pros:
- The way the autho
Lily
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really loved it. This is exactly the kind of fantasy I like to read.....an interesting world but it's not bogged down by too much description, a lot of actual dark stuff happening or being alluded to but also a lot of humor to keep the story enjoyable, and great lead characters. I thought the heroine was really great....at first when she's with her crew, she seems very tough because she has to be. Later as things get easier, we see her act more her actual age (18/19) but still stand her ground ...more
Meena
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was a very entertaining read. If you love her other books definitely read this one!

Love all the characters!! And Bugs...well...I love all her inner monologues and thoughts. They were very silly and innocents at the same time. I can't wait to watch her grow into her character in the next book. I also love the pace of the romance. It went from hate to like and now friends.

Ryker was likable and a great match for Bugs. And I hope she doesn't stay with the name Bugs throughout the whole se
anonymous
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Michele Evans
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another 5 star hit!!

Every one of Donna Augustine’s books are amazing. Her characters and the worlds they live in are so amazing- her imagination truly amazes me.

In this story, those with magic are referred to as Wyrd blood, and our main character is a young leader of a small group of people, trying not to starve during the next harsh winter. I don’t want to give away any parts of the story, but I love Bugs and her crew, and I love everyone at the Valley, especially their fearless leader. I hope
Marissa
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Don't judge a book by its cover

Once I started this book I couldn't stop till I was finished and I was not disappointed. As always Donna Augustine created a world that draws you in and keeps you there till the end. It's a post apocalyptic world and a sad state we meet the heroine in but she has people that depend on her that keep her going. The heroine was fierce and independent almost to a fault but I'm excited to see how she grows in the next book that was hinted at at the end. The interaction
Leila
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quite good

Donna Augustine is definitely getting better at writing. This book still follows her pattern of female protagonist getting stuck with male having to complete some task, male is an asshole until he's not, however her storytelling has improved. I fell in love with her Ollie series and find this one to be just as imaginative and fascinating. I couldn't put the story down until I finished. I enjoyed the world building and character development and would recommend this book to anyone who en
Katelyn Schneider
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was beautifully written, and the characters wonderfully fleshed out. However, it was lacking a few things. The ending of this book felt like a letdown—after building up to the climax, it was...well, anticlimactic. It didn’t evoke enough feeling, didn’t feel like there was enough risk. It was too easy.

However, I am invested in these characters enough to move onto the second book in the series. Hopefully it exceeds my expectations!
Loner State Bibliophile
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
DA Goodness

This book is soooo good! I've come to appreciate how consistently amazing this author is, which is a rarity in the Urban Fantasy genre. There are never typos, the writing is amazing, the heroines are strong and never whine, and the heroes are alpha males that are actually respectful! This book is all that and more! Love the premise! So original! Beautiful writing. Read this!!!!! Can't wait for more.
Bevin
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Despite only three stars this book was really good. The story is unique and interesting however the characters are not! The main characters in Wyrd Blood, The Wilds, and Ollie Wit are exactly the same as well as how they interact with each other. It's unfortunate because the worlds are all very will developed and unique, but it's hard reading another series with a petulant virgin as the heroine and a arrogant, promiscuous male lead the doesn't communicate.
Kayla
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing

Donna Augustine does it again!

Bugs is everything I love in a heroine. Witty, stubborn, and strong. She doesn't back down from what she thinks it right. She tries to take care of her people even if it means she loses her life. And Ryker. He's the alpha male. He's strong and is the perfect man to go head to head with Bugs.
Shawn Tidwell
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really good

I really liked the book I’ve read all of Donna Augustine’s book it wasn’t my absolute favorite (Ollie wit by far filled that spot) but I was engaged the whole time and I really enjoyed it an overall great good! Definitely check out her other books if you enjoyed this one.
Rebecca  C. Cardenas
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Got Bugs?
The main character known as "Bugs," was created with the creative imagination and writing prowess that I have come to love in Donna Augustine's trademark style. Yup, that was all one sentence.
Loved the spunk and sass of Bugs and can't wait to find out more about her in the second book. It is driving me crazy not knowing her "real" name. Enjoy the fun characters and cool book!
Desirea Herrera
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Book

Definitely not your run of the mill fantasy books. The main character has some deep seated demons that she’s fighting and the storyline leads to some changes in her perspective and her choices. In the end she shows courage and strength. Battling inner demons is never easy.
Lindy
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Blood

The Wyrd Blood book was a great surprise. A heroine who was orphaned at very young age and has survived but just barely. Not knowing how to use or access her power she hides out with others that have become her family. She decides to steal from the scariest WB but finds out more than she bargained for. She will do anything to safe her family even die. Great YA BOOK.
Mrs C
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great read

I absolutely loved this book. Bugs is such a strong willed character that despite desperate times always puts others first. Her relationship with Ryker is so entertaining and I devoured all of it!
Carole
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

This author is new to me, but I reay loved this book. World building was complex, but not confusing. Characters were compelling. Can't wait for the next book in this series.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dragon-Ridden (Dragon Ridden Chronicles, #1)
  • The Blades of the Rose Bundle
  • Stolen Magic (Shadows of the Immortals, #1)
  • The Shadow & The Sun (Militess & Mage, #1)
  • Death Before Dawn (Guardian's Diary, #2)
  • Wildewood Revenge (The Wildewood Chronicles, #1)
  • Elusion (Facets of Feyrie, #1)
  • Cherry Blossom (Vampire Cherry, #2)
  • Enemy of Mine (The Glimpse Time Travel #1)
  • Firehearted
  • Fatal Harmony (The Vein Chronicles, #1)
  • Forever Violet (Tangled Realms #1)
  • Warrior's Prisoner
  • Eternal Damnation (The Amagarians, #3)
  • Kissed by Eternity (Sunwalker Saga #6)
  • The Curse Giver
  • The Summoned Mage (Convergence, #1)
  • Lie Down with Dogs (Black Dog, #3)

Wyrd ​Blood (3 books)
  • Full Blood (Wyrd Blood Book 2)
  • Blood Binds (Wyrd Blood Book 3)
“power are seldom satisfied until they have it all.” 0 likes
“I’d die here if need be. That was the craziest part of knowing you were dying. It trimmed off all the should-haves and cut you right down to your essence. It was a gift of freedom, cursed with a lack of time. It made you think back to everything you’d done, every decision, every word, and see it in that harsh light. Some actions shone and some cast a dark shadow on your timeline.” 0 likes