Start by marking “What Did You Do Today?: The First Day of School” as Want to Read:
What Did You Do Today?: The First Day of School

What Did You Do Today?: The First Day of School

There’s a lot to do on the first day of school: meet new friends, practice writing, eat lunch, and run around. But it’s not only children who do these things—parents do, too. This charming story follows the day of a young boy and his working mother. Even though they’re in different places, the soft, lively illustrations show that they’re never far from each other’s thought ...more
Published August 23rd 2004 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about What Did You Do Today?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Did You Do Today?

Hannah
Dec 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The First Day of School was a great take on some of the experiences that children may face on their first day of either going back to school or starting school for the first time.

I think that this story would be a great circle time/group reading book for children in KS1. Children could use this story to talk about how they felt when they had to leave their Mum or Dad when they came to school.

The story focuses on the perspective of a young boy who retells his whole day through his point of view;
Nereida Garcia
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: school
Taught me how kids feel on the first day of school. This would be a good book to read to our children on the first dah so that they will feel a little more comfortable.
Christine Turner
There's a lot to do on the first day of school: meet new friends, practice writing, eat lunch, and run around. But it's not only children who do these things--parents do, too. This charming story follows the day of a young boy and his working mother. Even though they're in different places, the soft, lively illustrations show that they're never far from each other's thoughts. And when it's time to go home, they'll both be ready for a hug and eager to ask, "What did you do today?"

Subject: First d
Katie Fitzgerald
May 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
A mom and child's day parallel one another. The text seems to talk mainly about the child's day at school, but we see mom doing many of the same activities as well. This is a good first day of school read for kids who are attending for the first time, as well as a nice opportunity for parents to tell their kids what they do at work.
Ashley Allen
I would use this book to talk to students about the first day of school. I would talk about how we will miss our parents but they will come and get us at the end of the day. I would also use it to talk about all the fun and exciting things they will be learning in school.
Kelly
Jan 26, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a great book to give to kids who are missing their parents while they are at school.
Kristin Miller
This would a be a good story to read on the first day of school for Kindergarten through 3rd grade. It really pertains to those students who have a hard time leaving their parents and go to school.
Takiyah Thompson
Jul 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Another good book to read during the first week of school.
Linda
Sep 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: PreK - K
Shelves: pic-bk
Cute book but I would have liked more examples of activities done that first day of school.
Jennifer Ho
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is perfect to read to Pre-K or Kindergarten children as they transition to going to school. It is also great to read-aloud to the children on the first day of school.
Isaac
Aug 23, 2014
Tasha
Feb 08, 2009
Tiffiny Woo
rated it did not like it
Sep 11, 2014