Start by marking “dear judas (dead letter #1)” as Want to Read:
dear judas (dead letter #1)

dear judas (dead letter #1)

Dear Judas is the first chapbook of the dead letters series by Melissa Jennings. The chapbook is a stream of consciousness, containing 26 letters/poems addressing Judas, asking if he knew who he was going to be. The author explores their own experience of betrayal, regret, and asking whether people can truly be forgiven.
Below is the book's content warnings - please practic
Published February 10th 2018 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about dear judas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about dear judas

annika
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, poetry, own
I absolutely loved this poetry collection. It isn’t very long but the words had so much power – I ended up reading it three times today. Definitely a new favourite.
Very talented author, I'll certainly read more of them.

Here are some of my favourite parts (although I loved it as a whole):

when I remember you, you are this faded dream –
like when I’ve had too much alcohol – perhaps too
much of you.

yet, why is the story told about the saviour,
and not about the one who needed to be saved?

the othe
Helen
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, poetry
Firstly, I loved the concept of this chapbook - a short collection of poems addressed to a 'Judas' figure in the speaker's life, someone who has betrayed them. I think everyone has at least one person in their life who could be described as Judas - or perhaps has been Judas themselves. It makes this collection intensely relatable and also personal, as the reader can see aspects of themselves throughout the work.

There were so many beautiful quotes packed into such a tiny book. Some of my favourit
Amanda Butler
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I had the honor of beta reading this book, and I am ecstatic to hold the complete form in my hands. Every poem Jennings writes holds a powerful journey. I’m looking forward to reading the rest of “the dead letters” series and seeing where the journey treks.
Gab
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry

I was given an eARC copy of this book by the author. It will not change my opinions about the book. Thank you.

Dear Judas is a collection of poetry addressing to Judas or to the epitome of Judas in each one of us.

It's about Longing.

Hatred.

Falling in love.

Love.

Loss.

Betrayal.

When your parents named you,
did they know that they were naming a constellation?
they looked at how you glowed, not how
you were surrounded by darkness.

The writing and the words are raw and full of emotion. The author gra
Holly Walrath
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Self-published and Glasgow-based poet Melissa Jennings’ latest chapbook, Dear Judas (February 2018, available on Amazon), the first in their Dead Letters series is a relief for readers used to less-accessible poetry. Written in a stream-of-consciousness style, Dear Judas chronicles the relationship of two people who are metaphorically playing the roles of Judas and Jesus. The series of short, untitled poems serve as a contemplation of what it means to be betrayed and the meaning we imbue into th ...more
Isabelle
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I received a PDF in exchange for an honest review (thank you!)
A collection which explores those who ‘leave their mark on the world’ – a world soured by the presence of ‘Judas’ and memories which have been manipulated the reveal of by Judas’ true self. There was a different style here to ‘Afterlife’, more prose and more questions, and indeed it is a more open ended collection with no answers. There was something more private about this book that I can’t exactly put my finger on. The endings of th
McKayla DeBonis
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am blown away. I can really see the growth in Melissa’s writing since their last book, they have really grown as a writer.

This collection is so relatable. I hate bringing that word into my reviews only because I try going into each poetry collection with an open mind, each collection is a part of the authors soul, so it becomes difficult to rate.

But this collection is astounding and has grabbed my feelings right from my body. The words flow to elegantly and smooth.

I had a handful of favorite
Luna Valentine
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, 2018
I was given a free PDF copy of "dear judas" by the author in exchange for an honest review.

"when you were born, did you know that you would be who you were?"

this was phenomenal. every word seemed to be picked carefully and it's so beautiful the way the author conveys every emotion. melissa is a such a talented poet, i am always floored by how good their work is. dear judas was dark and magic and everything i knew it would be. the quote above is my favorite line.
Chris Duffy
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly holistic, well connected collection, the theme was strong throughout. I couldn't put it down and read it all in one sitting. Would highly recommend.
Leila Tualla
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Melissa Jenning's debut collection, Afterlife. Admittedly, it took me a while to truly get into the collection's headspace. Dear Judas was nothing like that. If anything, I devoured this in a duplicitous people.
This is a chapbook, so it's shorter, for those not familiar with poetry collections. Letters from the betrayed are marked with bitterness and fraught with anger. I loved the imagery of the crown of thorns and blood. It was rather interesting to read because we all know a Judas
Ashly
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, theology
"they looked at how you glowed, not how you were
surrounded by darkness."

I adore theology in every form, so the theme of this collection immediately piqued my interest. It's a unique chapbook with moving imagery. Also, the fact that this will be part of a series of "letters" is pretty neat.

I read Afterlife last fall, and while I enjoyed it, I can also see the amount of growth in Jennings' writing. I'll certainly be picking up their next work, Underworld.
Lexi Vranick
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I was given a PDF copy of this book in exchange for an honest review (Thank you, Melissa!).* You know how certain books find you at just the right time in your life, delivering just the right words you need to hear? That is Dear Judas for me. I found myself in solidarity with the poet throughout. If you have faced your own Judas, if you have experienced betrayal in some way, this book will speak to your soul.

Melissa writes with clarity and honesty. Their talent is apparent with each turn of th
Anne Chivon
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
" when I remember you, you are this faded dream -
like when I've had too much alcohol - perhaps too
much of you. but when I really remember, you are this
walking nightmare that I cannot shake. "

This was such a lovely read. It was one (chap)book I wasn't 'screaming' at, but in such a good way. If feelings were ever lingering, stuck at the tip of your tongue, these were the words that were waiting to spill out.

Every page held absolutely beautiful imagery all while pointing out how shitty a perso
H A P P Y ;)
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kindness; The quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate.

What is kindness? Is it an action? A feeling? It’s a word, a word that can be beaten down and broken. When you say the word kindness, what do you think? Do you think of that time that someone held the door open for you? Some of us never experience kindness. When your kind to others, your vulnerable, weak. But being kind gives us hope, so be kind, be vulnerable, be weak. Because in the end hope is all we'll ever have.

Something to
M.F. Yasmin
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
dear judas is a book you can carry with you, physically and metaphorically. Physically it is beautiful from the colour of the cover (my favourite colour, I might add) to its simple yet elegant design. The book is only so many pages long, but it holds a whole universe of emotion and thought. It is bigger on the inside, and I am in awe of how Melissa Jennings has managed to pack a punch with only so many words. Absolutely think this is one of my favourite reads ever.
So clever and brilliant!
Ashley Rose
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read!

This was a quick but enjoyable poetry collection. I could feel what the author was trying to us, the reader, in each of their pieces. They took such a unique topic for poetry and ran with it and I give Melissa Jennings all the applause on that type of creativity
Cynthia Anne
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“...you walk in my brain, newborn and holy...me keeping the dead leaves…” Chapbook size, first of series she has planned. Interesting concept and well written, very raw and at times disturbing. For those that enjoy dark poetry this is a gem! Bravo!

Gertrudis
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoughtful betrayal

This collection dives into your feelings at the time of your greatest love and your greatest betrayal. Strong imagery. G
Liv
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
full review coming soon. TW/ sexual assault, self harm, rape, assault
Caitlin Conlon
You can definitely see how much Jennings' writing has developed from their first collection to this chapbook. A really fascinating concept, to explore judas & what that means to us as individuals. I'm eager to see what comes next from this series, as this felt like a very personal address from the author & I can appreciate that a lot. Very visceral. Very worth it.
Mariana Teles
Marya Layth
Apr 24, 2018
Irenna Nicole
Apr 03, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Extra version of my book in your database 4 25 Feb 15, 2018 05:37PM
MELISSA JENNINGS [they/them] lives with their cat, Dora, in the sometimes sunny but always vibrant city of Glasgow, in Scotland. They are currently studying towards an MA in English Literature at the University of Glasgow. Melissa is an avid reader and a writer of many genres - poetry is just the first step.