Start by marking “Digging In” as Want to Read:
Digging In

Digging In

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  13,936 ratings  ·  1,071 reviews

In Loretta Nyhan’s warm and witty Amazon Charts bestselling novel, a widow discovers an unexpected chance to start over—right in her own backyard.

Paige Moresco found her true love in eighth grade—and lost him two years ago. Since his death, she’s been sleepwalking through life, barely holding on for the sake of her teenage son. Her house is a wreck, the grass is overrun

Published April 1st 2018 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Digging In, please sign up.

·  13,936 ratings  ·  1,071 reviews

Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Everything can be learned, you know? Some people learn sooner, others later. Not a big deal if the outcome is the same."

Guys, this book wrecked me. I've been a fan of Loretta's writing since her previous novel, All The Good Parts, was released. I was left itching for more of her witty charm and boy, did I find it here. Her novels are emotional for sure, but they still manage to deal with tough themes in an upbeat and hilarious way. When I pick up one of her books, I feel as though instead of re
Loretta Nyhan
Feb 07, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how to rate my own book. Some days, I'm like...five stars, baby! You've got it going on! Other days? I could maybe--maybe--muster up one measly star. Writers are fickle. And very self-critical. Also, maybe a little nutso from working alone all the time.

What I can say is that I'm very proud of this book. I give my pride in it five stars. Abso-freaking-lutely.

The initial idea for this book came from an article I read about ten years ago. A local woman worked for the Chicago Tribune i
Larry H
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-first
My mother, God rest her soul
Couldn't understand why the only man
She had ever loved had been taken
Leaving her to start
With a heart so badly broken
Despite encouragement from me
No words were ever spoken...

—Gilbert O'Sullivan, "Alone Again Naturally"

4.5 stars for this one.

I loved this! What a great story.

Jesse was a part of Paige's life since eighth grade, and he was her only love. Often it was the two of them against the world, and she always knew she could count on her husband and their marriage.
Esil
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I’ve read some strong reviews for this one, but I must admit that I found it ok but didn’t love it.

Payge is in her mid forties, has been a widow for 2 years, and she’ll still trying to find her footing. Her relationship with her 17 year old son is shaky and her job with a small advertising agency seems to be hanging by a thread. The story bumbles along somewhat predictably, as Payge sinks to new lows, and slowly makes her way uphill to a better place. Along the way, she digs up a crazy garden an
Amy
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-arcs
Based solely on the blurb I figured that Digging In would be a fairly heavy read, following Paige as she works through her grief after losing her husband. While grief is definitely at the core of this novel, it wasn’t depressing or bleak, instead it was full of humor, wit and heart which was just such a breath of fresh air.

Sadly, Nyhan lost her own husband so she has firsthand experience in the way a widow may feel and behave, and while she acknowledges that her situation wasn’t exactly like Pai
Janelle • She Reads with Cats
Thank you so much to Amazon Publishing for providing my copy of DIGGING IN by Loretta Nyhan - all opinions are my own.

Paige once lived harmoniously with her husband and teenage son in a nice, safe life. But after her husband’s sudden death, Paige’s grief takes ahold of her. They lived in their own world for so long, but that world shattered, leaving emptiness, loneliness, and pain. Now, for the past two years Paige has been sleepwalking through life, inadvertently neglecting her job, her son, an
Barbara White
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to scream from the rooftops, "I love this book!" What a delightful, funny, authentic, and rather wise story about the healing power of gardening and the struggle to re-root yourself after crippling loss. Paige is an extraordinary heroine: smart, funny, kind, outspoken, quirky. You feel the rawness of her grief, but there's no sentimentality, and she has cracking good lines, such as: "I'm trying to bring me back" or "I pressed the 'Pause' button on life, and then lost the remote."

The supp
Dee Arr
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
There’s something special in this book, hidden between the pages yet shared with us at the same time. Author Loretta Nyhan has shared a humorous yet realistic vision of one woman’s reborn hope and persistence, even when faced with the collapse of everything that meant something to her.

This is the situation facing Paige. Her husband is gone, and the company she has worked at for years is heaving with new (and somewhat off-the-wall) changes. Her teenage son is experiencing difficulties, and like
Alaina
Digging In was an interesting audio book to listen to.

The beginning definitely grabs your attention due to an unexpected death.. but then it kinds of takes a turn into a little bit boring and weird. This book follows Paige Moresco, who is just trying to deal with life after her husband's sudden death. Her son is pushing her away and she might end up losing her job. Basically, her life has gone from bad to worse in like 3.5 nanoseconds.

Besides all of that, the community she lives in is filled w
Richard Derus
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Richard by: Chelsea Humphrey
Shelves: kindled
Real Rating: 3.5* of five, but Amagoodreadszon won't let us have half stars because reasons

9 OCTOBER 2018 Kindle price drop to $1.99!
**I own this Kindlebook, so if anyone wants to borrow it, send me a PM with your Amazon-account email and you're welcome to it**

Supervillain Chelsea Humphrey made me read this paean to the overweight, overtired, overworked Average Soul taking up space the Skinny Bastages think is rightfully theirs in a shrinking economy.

At almost every turn, I felt the severe pain
Booksandchinooks (Laurie)
I was given a copy of this book from Amazon Publishing #partner for an honest review. If I was judging a book by its cover I would think this one would be humorous and a bit quirky. It was that and so much more. Paige is dealing with her grief over the sudden death of her husband and soul mate two years ago. Her teenage son Trey is struggling with the loss of his dad. Mother and son are both trying to navigate their grief and find their place in the world. Unfortunately they are drifting away fr ...more
Bianca
Diggin In is my first Loretta Nyhan novel.

It's about a 42-year-old, Paige Moresco, who had lost her husband in a car accident. The two of them and their son, Trey, had a settled, rule-filled, predictable life. Paige finds herself not caring, aimless, and about to lose her job. She takes her frustrations on her garden, which she digs out and starts to rebuild.

This was a good story, albeit one I read before. The characters were well drawn, it's just that the writing felt flat at times, so my enga
☕️Kimberly
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-2018
Narrated by Mary Robinette Kowal I quickly became caught up in this heartwarming and captivating story that mirrors the author's own journey after the unthinkable happens.

I was slightly worried I would need truffles for this story. I've been married thirty years and cannot even begin to fathom life without my mate. While Nyhan did make me tear up she also had me rooting for Paige Moresco, her son Trey, and the secondary characters we met along the way. I laughed, got angry, cheered and smiled as
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
What a delightful, sparkling and hopeful story. I had no idea what I was walking into. When Ashley at Amazon Publishing brought me this copy, I think she knew this wasn't my usual type of read... and then told me it was worth it and it absolutely IS!

The only thing I could even nitpick at is that I felt Paige was portrayed older than her forty-three years of age. Maybe it's because that is exactly how old I am and she felt older to me. We're also completely opposite people. I know I look young f
Paul E. Morph
An enjoyable read, and certainly touching in places, especially considering the author is writing from personal experience, but it never really sank its teeth into me, if you know what I mean. Definitely not bad, though.
Ian
Well this is just great.
I completely love this book.
I love the characters.

Honestly, I just wanted it to keep going.
Chris Conley
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my!!! Many more than five stars. When a book tells a moving and delightful story and brings insight to its reader, it is a miracle. This book with a garden at its center is Paige’s story of rebirth after the death of her husband. While reading it, I realized that I came to my love of all things garden related as a way to deal with many losses in my life. Nothing as dramatic as Paige’s story but my own. This book opened doors to me. Great story!!!
Erica
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just realized I've read nearly everything Nyhan has published. I feel I can say I've got a decent grasp on her writing style now. One of the things that amazes me about her solo adult books, as opposed to those that were co-written, is that I find her main characters exceptionally aggravating but I enjoy the overall stories. My feelings were no different in this case.

We start with the tepid Paige who used to have a life she loved but then everything crumbled and now she's trying to keep her ho
Leona
Oct 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Being a passionate gardener, I was really looking forward to this story. I've read many fictional books that focus on cooking, but none on gardening.

It started out strong, but then went downhill fast. The characters were flat, the story long winded without real direction. I got to about 85% of the book, and just started flipping the pages to get to the end. Why torture myself when there are tons of really "good reads" to sink into.

The good news, is I didn't buy it. It came with my Kindle unlim
Liz
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
A cute story but I was mostly moved by the Acknowledgments at the end of the book. Congrats to Nyhan on her accomplishment under very difficult circumstances.
Jessica Ambler
3.5 stars. This book was highly recommended but I found it on the slower side until the very end. The last few chapters and the authors real life experience improved my rating.
Jackie
"Forever. Till death do us part. The thing is, no one tells you what to do when the parting happens. And they forget to explain that when death is sudden, the parting is actually a ragged tear, not a clean separation. It leaves all the ends unfinished, and they just unravel and unravel and . . ."

Nyhan, Loretta. Digging In: A Novel (p. 5). Lake Union Publishing. Kindle Edition.

Barely into the book when the quote above was written. It made me stop and reflect on what a true statement that was. Th
Elizabeth
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ann
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
A mistake

I think I bought this book by mistake. It isn't nearly like anything I'd choose and it was middle of the road writing. Just finished it because of Catholic guilt
David Richardson
Mar 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Sorry folks but didn't do a thing for me. Seemed flat from start to finish. It had a couple of bright spots, but not enough to save it for me. I hope you like it better than I did
Laurie Buchanan
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the end of the book, I learned that this hard-won story was born, in part, from the author’s personal experience, making it even better—and the story was already excellent! And though I don't have a green thumb, I enjoyed reading about the main character's gardening triumph and her crotchety old neighbor who I grew to like. This book is the perfect length for a flight with a longish layover.
Pam Jenoff
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since Paige lost her husband (childhood sweetheart and love of her life) two years ago, her life has been in shambles. One day, not knowing what to do, she starts digging in her back yard, turning the whole thing into a massive vegetable garden. Can Paige transform her garden and herself? I have zero green thumbs, but this book made me want to pick up a shovel and try. A heartwarming novel about second chances.
bookczuk
There was a lot to like in this book. It had that genuine feel, not forced or artificial. I was looking for something light-ish to read while this broken knee healed, and got this from the first reads program on Amazon. Glad I picked this one, not the science fiction! It had a depth that I hadn't expected, but with a light touch, even on tricky subjects.

What really drove home the author's skill was reading the afterward, where she tells that halfway through this book about a woman whose husband
Booknblues
Digging In by Loretta Nyhan is the type of book I rarely read. There were two factors which influenced my choice, one it was a free Kindle First book and secondly it was about a woman, Paige Moresco who decides to dig up her back yard and put in a garden, this is something I have actually done so I wanted to read about an experience with it.

Paige's reason for digging up her yard is quite different than mine. Her life is falling apart, her husband died unexpectedly in a car accident, her boss pas
Pam
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I have read this year. Charming, humorous and wise- it is a fantastically pleasurable read. Do not miss it. I just ordered her earlier book.
YA Buddy Readers'...: Digging In, by Loretta Nyhan - starting June 14th, 2018 8 15 Jun 28, 2018 02:14PM
Play Book Tag: Digging In by Loretta Nyhan -3.5 stars rounded up 7 21 Mar 15, 2018 11:16PM
Love this author! 1 9 Sep 13, 2017 09:07AM

• Down and Out in Beverly Heels
  • Essential Oils: 60 Oils That You Need and How to Use Them Now!
  • Love & Other Lies
  • Hollie Porter Builds a Raft (Revelation Cove #2)
  • Bird After Bird
  • Music of the Swamp
  • The Book of Maybe: Finding Hope and Possibility in Your Life
  • The Confessions of Frances Godwin
  • Weber's Time to Grill: Get In. Get Out. Get Grilling.
  • North to You (Journey to the Heart #1)
  • The Things We Don't Say
  • The Beachside Flower Stall
  • The Alabaster Hip (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #3)
  • Falling Is Like This
  • Raw Deal (Bite Back, #0.5)
  • A Grand Race (Sutton Family, #3)
  • Roped In (Clean Slate Ranch #2)
  • Love Overdue
I was a reader before I was a writer, devouring everything I could get my hands on, including the backs of cereal boxes and the instructions booklet for building the Barbie dream house. Later, my obsession with reading evolved into an absolute need to write. After college, I wrote for national trade magazines, taught writing to college freshmen, and eventually found the guts to try fiction.

I'm the
“Everything can be learned, you know? Some people learn sooner, others later. Not a big deal if the outcome is the same.” 2 likes
“When you give something meaning, it’s worth remembering. We filter out the stuff that doesn’t touch our heart.” 2 likes