Start by marking “Teeth (The Icefjord Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Teeth (The Icefjord Saga, #1)

Teeth

(The Icefjord Saga #1)

Twelve years after the death of his family, Isa meets a boy in the woods with an injured foot who can bring ravens back to life. But something else has come to Ulfheim, and when Isa opens the rune ward keeping the village safe to let the strange boy through, the wicked beast that has haunted Isa’s dreams his entire life follows.

Six years later, the boy from the woods retur
Published July 1st 2018 (first published June 30th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Teeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teeth

Start your review of Teeth (The Icefjord Saga, #1)
Xia Xia
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
What I liked:
1. The research - very nice research done on Runes, viking establishments and terms
2. The magic - the magic system is based on rune wielding, where one has the power to charge the rune (the Sjaelir) and the other to magically use the rune (the Runik).
3. The plot: supernatural god-like creature attacks two boys and changes their lives

What needs a bit of improvement and why this isn't a 5 star for me:
1. Telling versus showing - We are being told a lot how Isa and Rakkian feel and the
jessica ☾
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I always have a difficult time keeping track of strange, foreign names and places; so they all just jumbled together nonsensically for me. I felt like our main characters had zero personality, and the world building just felt kinda incomplete. This was a pretty big let down after absolutely loving Zaya Feli’s Iron Breakers Trilogy.
Azbaqiyah
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god. It was damn amazing. I love it's world's building...and you know I'm sucker anything with Norse myrhlogy (and yet I never read any related to it except this book 😝)

and it was mind blasting too with all the gore and blood stuff.

and I do love all the characters (Isarin ❄ and even Skygge! 🐦 Such a sweet girl).

It's a fast pace reading and I think so far it was well written and you know what? I'm carving for the second book!
Sarah Wright
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received an advance copy of this book*

As a fan of Zaya Feli's debut trilogy, I'm thrilled to say that Teeth embodies everything I enjoyed in the author's previous books. Between the complex, morally gray characters and the fast-paced historical fantasy plot, Teeth is a strong first installment to the Icefjord duology. The Norse-inspired setting was well-researched, with just enough detail included in the novel to make it an immersive, atmospheric read.

I'm an advocate of genre fiction featurin
J1B
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This paints a vivid, and at times quite bleak, picture of norse-era society. Just so you're not mislead, this is pure YA fiction and is NOT mm romance. ...more
Carrie-Anne
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series, indie, lgbt
Ok, I loved this book! It took a tiny second to get into it - the first few pages it felt like the main character's name was used too much (Isa did this, Isa thought that, Isa wanted what Isa wanted) but luckily this either stopped or the story was so engaging that I forgot about it.

I just need to also say that I am Nordic trash, and this book is so Nordic I love it! Battles, runes, gatherings, Gods - all the best stuff!

Talking about best stuff, Skygge exists. She is amazing. She's a raven and h
Julia
Interesting YA fantasy inspired by Norse culture and mythology. I enjoyed the story and liked Isa, one of the MCs, but did not like the execution; it feels rushed, too fast paced. It dealt with long journeys in just a sentence or a paragraph and felt like all the plot took place during a long, nightmarish day. It lacks depth and atmosphere. Still I will probably give the next book a chance.
Shan( Shans_Shelves) 💜
Well THAT just happened...

Talk about stressful endings. I must read the sequel right this instance.

Full review probably won’t come but I highly recommend this book. Zaya Feli writes such good fantasy and this one is based on Viking like characters, I loved the main characters and the SLOW BURN that is clearly there between Rakkian and Isa. If they don’t kiss in the next book I shall be very angry!!

(Pssst- there’s also a badass raven named Skygge!)
Cami Franceschi
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
English/Español review.

3.5 stars.
I loved the built world because it is Nordic and I adore it. The story starts very interesting but for the middle part I think it lacked some action. I was waiting for something else to happen, because there are several interesting characters with good stories but almost none did anything. Everything began to move again for the end, that plot twist left me OMG and obviously I will read the book that follows because I want to know what will happen.

3,5 Estrellas.
M
Oliwia
Aug 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt-shelf
I'm a big fan of Zaya Feli's books so I bought this with many expectations. I am happy to say that I wasn't disappointed! Teeth embodied the ~vibes~ of her previous works that I've read.

Recently I have been in need of Viking/medieval/fantasy stories and for those I always turn to Feli's works (not to mention her beautiful art work!!).

World building in The Icefjord Saga was one of the greatest points of this book and series as a whole. I enjoyed the old, norse language, however I got kind of lost
Sophia
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
WHERE IS THE SECOND BOOK?

Earlier this year I read the Iron Breakers series and absolutely loved it and so I was looking forward to this book.
I enjoyed this book so so much. The story and the characters are super interesting! I loved the world that was created, I loved the magic, I loved Skygge. It was great. Can't wait for the second book! I'm so curious what is going to happen next.
Nico
Overall, I had my gripes with this book, though I think that is due in part to the fact that I do not dwell well with the setting. It's a rough and merciless one, of course, and that doesn't speak much to me right now.
Overall it was a pretty juicy set-up to the second half of the series, though, so I'm looking forward to watching these three stories unfold!
Ro
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Actual rate: 4.50 stars
Caitlin Taylor
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, lgbtq, 2018
This book brings the Vikings to life in a magical way!
Alex (HEABookNerd)
Series: The Icefjord Saga #1
Rating: 3 stars - it was good

TEETH was a very interesting read and I liked that this was focused on Norse mythology which isn't something I've come across too much. I got pretty immersed in the world but I will admit there were a few things that took a little bit for me to understand. There were a lot of plot lines going on but most of the story centers around Isa, a young man who was attacked and bitten by the Varg (wolf like creatures feared by the people of the Ice
Riina Y.T.
NOOO----!

soo good.

WHY DID IT HAVE TO END ALREADY??? T____T

soo intense.

I AM DYING TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS NOW!

soo gripping.

I NEED BOOK #2 RIGHT NOW!!!

soo soo soo exciting.

Oh, Isa.

My heart breaks for you, but I'm also weeping for sweet little Rakki *sigh*

And Skygge – sweet gurl!

I know everyone always said that but I honestly couldn't put it down!

THIS is exactly what I miss in this genre. I do hope Zaya Feli has another hundred stories she will bring us! I've been a huge fan since Stag's Run.
Karine
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
D Fox
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'll be short, cause I literally can't wait to read the second book .

I love Zaya Feli.

She is one of those authors I always wonder how come they're not more popular, but that's a different topic.

Awesome setting, very well researched- but as the Author has said- that's her home :)
As in her previous books, Zaya never portraits a one-dimensional character. So I am really interested in seeing more of "the enemy", I feel he's slowly stealing my heart.

Oh- and of course - I am crazy about Isa, but
Lisa
4.75 stars, but happy to round up to 5.

Reading Zaya Feli’s work always feels very personal for me. I read Stag’s Run not two weeks after its original release and followed it through every book that came after, thoroughly enjoying it to the end. I’ll admit, I had some issues with the first book and wrote a rather long (and embarrassingly) ranty review that I took back a month later after realising I couldn’t stop thinking about the book and it had somehow snuck it’s way into my heart. After that
Tom
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! But, I didn't expect anything less from Zaya Feli, after the fantastic Iron Breakers trilogy.

The rune magic and the roles of Runiks and Sjealir in Teeth are fascinating, and the information about the runes is also educational. This Viking age saga is imaginative and harsh. There is no love lost between the clans, especially Ulfheim and Fenrisborg. There is violence and blood in this world (you expect less from Vikings?) There is also plotting and scheming, some blunt and bruta
Oblivionsdream
Jan 09, 2021 rated it liked it
Oof. I’m very torn if I’m gonna want to read the sequel. On the one hand I did enjoy the books atmosphere, the Nordic setting, and the unique premise behind it all (not to mention I have had my interest piqued by the asexual Viking prince). However, the writing itself left much to be desired. There were many scenes that would have benefited from deeper descriptions especially the actions. I would have loved more details of clashing sides, flashing weapons, the spray of blood. Instead many scenes ...more
stephanie davidson
Grrr

I really, really wanted to like this book, but I’m ending it feeling unbelievably frustrated, so much so that I don’t want tor read the second book. These characters are all like 1/2 to 3/4 of who they had the potential to be. Like yes there were a few twists but it’s like, the main characters ended up feeling weak and lacking conviction in who they were, so much that I genuinely disliked the direction it ended up going in. It’s like a few other reviews mentioned; the main characters didn’t
Meg
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This story begins with Rakki, a boy taken from his home and sailed across the Icefjord. He escapes and wanders to the edge of the ward around Ulfheim where he is found by Isa. The boys are attacked by the Varg, an animal god that's basically a big scary wolf. The Varg disappears. Isa tells Rakki to flee and Isa is left with a curse spreading toward his heart. When Rakki finds himself in Ulfheim once again, six years later, horrible things start happening.

The jarl is dead, they've been i
Hira Chaudhary
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about three boys all trying to do the right thing, but not always able to, or sure of what the right thing always is. Isa has been cursed since he fought the monster that killed his parents, Rakkian has been enslaved again and again and is no longer certain of where home even is, and Karel is trying to save his sister and prove his father that he is worthy. These three collide in a story of love, friendship, and family, all of them trying to figure out what those words mean for t ...more
HOPE
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my second saga from this author, and once again, I'm in love ! This is very different of Iron Breakers, by I think I already prefer Teeth, maybe because the universe turns around the Nordic Mythology, which I really adore.
The story is captivating and I was in love with the main characters two pages after the beginning.
For me, this first book of the saga reunites all the ingredients to enjoy a very good moment of reading ; magic, myths, love and hate, fear, blood, creatures... This is al
Angela
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book did such a good job at bringing me into the Norse world and explaining it so beautifully! I especially loved the characters Isa, Rakki, and of course who wouldn't love Skygge.

The ending surprised me I honestly did not expect that and I was pretty shocked. it was actually a really cool plot twist. I do have to say that I did not like how Isa handled the situation at the end but it's a reasonable reaction I suppose. all I wanted was to read the next book right away, maybe it was for the
Steph
This ended up much better than I expected. I don't know why but I was expecting a massively complicated, hard to read fantasy. It turned out that it is written very well and the world building is really good. The atmosphere and setting of this was very vivid and immerse.

I am a fan of Norse mythology and Skyrim so this book was amazing for me. The non English words and names weren't too hard and my playing countless hours of Skyrim helped me greatly with pronunciation.

I liked our main characters
Avid Reader
Jul 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Mixed feelings about this one. Interesting magic themes and world building based on ancient Icelandic lore (I think). The writing carries the story well and the MC’s are well portrayed; it is very much a young adult novel - apart from the violence and amount of bloodletting, although that fits well with the historical period feel. I liked the colloquial, current day language as unless your going the whole hog for ancient Viking speak, don’t bother. However, left too much on a cliffhangar for me; ...more
Elena
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
As usual, Zaya Feli's books are incredibly entertaining to read and totally binge-worthy, and the entertainment value completely outweighs the minor issues this book has. It is fast paced, but everything makes sense. Two of the three main characters, Isa and Rakkian, have great characterization, but Karel's lacks a bit. Not being familiar with norse mithology or history, I had a hard time, especially in the beginning, immersing myself into the world, so I would have liked a bit more contex/descr ...more
Viki
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Compelling but a little dark (and disgusting).

I at once admire and do not like the very true depiction of Nord culture. The characters were nice but I am getting sick of yelling at them to DO something and feeling helpless when they end up in problems, as in, had his finger cut off problems...

But hey, I managed to get past the first pages and that is not something many books can boast about these days...

• A Light Amongst Shadows (Dark is the Night, #1)
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • Starcrossed (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • Lacuna
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • The Fantastic Fluke (The Fantastic Fluke, #1)
  • Beneath the Opal Arc (Immortal Jewels #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • Fluke and the Faithless Father (The Fantastic Fluke, #2)
  • Silk & Steel (Silk and Steel #1)
  • Iron & Fire (Silk and Steel #2)
  • Black Blades (Rifter #3)
  • Servants of the Crossed Arrows (Rifter #2)
  • Winter's Orbit
  • Dark Flame (Flame Born, #1)
  • Found at Sea (Tales of Fate #1)
  • Wonderstruck (Magic in Manhattan #3)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)

The Icefjord Saga (2 books)
  • Claws (The Icefjord Saga, #2)