Start by marking “Veil of Darkness (Veil of Darkness #1)” as Want to Read:
Veil of Darkness (Veil of Darkness #1)

Veil of Darkness (Veil of Darkness #1)

4.7  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
There’s a world just beyond the veil… in the dark, out of sight, and out of reach for most. That is where they live.

Spirits, demons, and creatures of myth.

For decades, one organization has sought to uncover the secrets of harnessing the power on the other side of the veil for its own misdeeds.

And for decades, a group devoted to protecting life and the natural order has wor
ebook
Published October 31st 2017 (first published October 17th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Veil of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Veil of Darkness

Misti  Long
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First off I want to say I had the pleasure of receiving an ARC of this book. Second thing that I want to make sure I say is I'm not a paranormal book reader.

Now that I've said that I must say this OMG Veil of Darkness is amazing. It's not just that Derek was thinking outside the box on this book. He was thinking outside the universe. I mean really, let me give you a breakdown on these characters in a nutshell.

1. Luca the Ghostbuster.
2. Emma the Guardian of Life.
3. Sutter the gay cowboy spiri
Tianna McPherson (Anna Lee)
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Derek for your first book  in paranormal...I say you hit it big. The way you got so detailed about ht was going on seriously impressed me. I love paranormal and this one was so damn good that I can't wait to see what books 2 and 3 are about. In this book we discover that demons and/or something else is terrorizing this small town. A town that Luca is from. In not knowing what is happening he's not sure what or how to help. Then we see Emma show up to catch the same thing. They are two people who ...more
Tam
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is Adam's first foray into the paranormal genre, and I'd say he hit it out of the otherworldly realm! The characters were quirky, colorful, complex, witty and unlike any others I have "met" in a story. The plot line was well thought out, unique and utterly captivating. Adam let his creativity and imagination flow and take over the pages and, wow, what a superb and stunning result! I can't even fathom what he might have in store for his readers in the next book in this series, but I know it' ...more
Jeremy Schofield
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
(I was provided an Advance Reader Copy for the purpose of this review. The book releases on October 31, 2017.)

I confess - I went into this book expecting not to like it very much.

Not that Derek Adam is a poor writer: far from it. I had the honor to be a beta reader on his freshman effort "Mass Casualty", and let me tell you, the man can tell a story. He is a gifted writer who is getting better with each book he produces.

But, you know, I write horror novels...and this was a "paranormal romance."
Holly Williams
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really short, but still entertaining!

So this is the story or Emma and Luca! They are two rare breeds of something and I'm fascinated to find out in book 2 what they are. I have my suspicions but I'll keep that to myself. Emma is a hunter for an elder council along with her husky companion Bella. She's sent to track something and kill it. When she arrives in this little town she meets Luca and her entire life and everything she thought she k she changes.
Luca is known as a real deal Ghostbuster.
Shelly Reynolds
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"So, is this a thing you do then? You're like some gorgeous monster assassin, chasing the creepy bastards back to their haunted lairs, hoping to keep the balance between good and evil?"

This was my first read of Derek Adam, and it for sure won't be my last. I loved this story! I am a big paranormal fan, but when a story line is this unique, and the characters this dynamic, I can't get enough!! This book has adventure, mystery, conspiracy, humor, and of course, dark and ugly demons.

Emma is....well
Kandy
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story was beyond my expectations.
I usually steer away from the "Paranormal" books, there is something about them I don't usually connect well with.
This was not that book. It was relatable and dare I say could someday be a reality?

Derek did a great job building his characters, I was sucked in right away with his story line, and I couldn't wait to see what happens next. This was a very complex book, in my opinion, a lot going on and he did a great job tying it all together.

This was my fist b
Amanda Tregaskis
Creative, entertaining, story telling at its best

Veil of darkness is a well crafted book, with interesting and engaging characters. I look forward to reading the next book to find out where this story takes us.
Michaela Zankl
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal!

I love Derek Adam and this book shows once again how versatile he is as an author. With Veil of Darkness he ventures into paranormal fiction and delivers once again. The characters blend so well together with Emma and Luca as the main characters and Virgil and Sutter being the sidekicks. Emma is tracking evil with her ever faithful dog, while Luca is ghost hunting with his sidekicks Virgil and Sutter. Once their paths cross they realize they share some of the same abilities and they t
Jessica Renee
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Literally read the whole thing in one sitting. Granted, I'm currently stuck at home sick, but I could barely even stand putting this book down long enough to sneeze. I finished it in just a few hours and am already dying to get my hands on the second book.
Tiffany (Bibliophile Babes Book Blog)
Not "normal" Paranormal

First off I am a huge fan of paranormal novels, but this is so much more than any other book I have ever read in this genre. There are no fae, vampires, werewolves, or other mythical creatures that are often prevalent in others paranormal novels. Veil of Darkness contains demons, ghost, occult aspects and mysticism that seem more "real" (if you believe in that sort of thing) than any other paranormal novel I've ever read before. Derek Adam has set the new gold standard for
Angi Burns ~Rabid Readers Book Blog
Are you looking for paranormal without the typical humdrum? This is it!

Let's meet the characters that will suck you into their worlds:

Emma and Bella:
Emma is an enigma that we slowly learn more about. She hunts demons and can see thru the veil. She hunts them with her Siberian husky Bella. Bella hunts and follows her German commands but can still be a messy husky with all the curiosity that comes with being a dog.

Luca, Sutter, Virgil, and Hitch :

Luca sees ghosts and travels with his very own pe
Stacey
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Curiosity killed the cat...

So Firstly I should say that I don't read anything that is paranormal/fantasy or anything that isn't modern day usually, But due to the way that Derek writes, and after following him for a bit (gosh I sound a lot stalkerish!) Curiosity simply became too much and I had to read something that I could quite possibly hate...

So when I think paranormal, I think sparkly Vampires and Hot werewolves... But after thinking about it, this was more fantasy, more like harry potter w
Natalie Johnson
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Luca is a human who like his Grandfather had the ability to see spirits and demons. He is a modern day ghostbuster who is hired to help these spirits progress to the other side. He travels with two spirits as did his Grandfather, Sutter and Virgil.

Hitch is the sheriff of the town he and Luca grew up in. They were best friends who grew up together but had a falling out when Luca's
Maria
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I know this hasn't hit the masses yet and I don't do spoiler but.....

You really need to read this book!

I'll redo my review once the book it released to give more of an opinion on plot, characters and what not but I can't do it now with spoilers....ain't happening.

Emma and Luca rock! Two people who can see past "the veil" and deal with things that go bump in the night. Virgil and Sutter....OMG, these two are the Abbott and Costello of the spirit world. I love them. Bella, Emma's husky and best fr
Read.Review.Repeat Blog
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Emma is a demon tracker , non human, sent by the Elder council to find and dispose of demons that are in this world.

Deb
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Derek Adam has created an amazing world where his characters, Emma and Luca (love that name Luca!) have met under extraordinary circumstances, in Veil of Darkness!

Yes, it is a love story.
Yes, it is supernatural.
YES!!! IT is UNIQUE❣❣❣

My favorite parts of the first book in this series are the fabulously funny conversations that happen between Luca and his spirits! I laughed and then felt a tug at my heart when Emma and Luca begin to rely on each other.

Please take the opportunity to purchase t
Indie Editor Nancy
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a first time for me to read this author's work and it was time well spent! 5 main characters with their own personal story which was shared throughout this Book 1. Some romance which I hope to see develop in the next book in the series. I loved the Ghostbusters feel to this story.
"If she was a distraction before, I might as well walk around with a blindfold on at this point."
"I tried to cling to that feeling but it was fleeting and quickly buried under the constant molasses of dark emot
Jenn Wood
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy motherloving shitballs, I knew this book wouldn't disappoint! I KNEW it! Derek creates this fantastic world, and the relationships within, and transports you right smack dab into the middle of it. There were moments I had tears streaming down my face in laughter; so much so that my husband was like, "WTF is wrong with you? *raises eyebrow*" and I proceeded to rave about these interactions (without giving any details away - he needs to go buy his own damn copy). I loved every single word of ...more
Book-Lovin-Momma
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Derek Adam shows his versatility with this start to a new paranormal series! I love a great paranormal story, and Veil of Darkness has me hooked! In this world on the other side of the veil, Emma is absolutely the perfect guardian, with her awesome sidekick Bella (I want one, btw)! She's tough, capable and utterly self-sufficient. Luca is your average hot guy paranormal expert, but he has a couple of spirit buds, and he can see and communicate with beings beyond the veil. There are demons to be ...more
Arien/Sloan
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not sure what words can explain how much I enjoyed this book. Wickedly freaking awesome!
This being the first book in this series, it will grab you and you will hold on for the entire ride and ask to go again. I loved this, I was hard pressed to put it down at any time.
The characters are such a breath of fresh air, giving a new twist to the supernatural that has you turning pages to find out what happens next.
Emma is such a kick@$$ female character and Luca well, you can't help but enjoy him t
Katie Sadan
Veil of Darkness!!

Not what I expected, it was even better!!

First off I need to state that I don’t usually read paranormal, as in almost never. But this book was amazing and had me turning pages as quickly as I could read them. Derek Adam knocked it Out of the park with this one. The characters Luca (the ghostbuster) was amazing and very relatable. Emma (the demon slayer) gave me a little bit of a girl crush. And the secondary characters are just as fascinating. It’s hard to say to much about thi
Ashley Carr, LSoR
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first time I’ve read Mr. Adam and I was pleasantly surprised. And to find out this is his first paranormal book I would say that I was more than surprised. He has a unique writing style that I just loved. Luca is a “ghostbuster” and has two spirits following him around, they help him solve cases. When he meets Emma she sees his ghost friends, which no one else has been able to see. He knows she’s special then, just not how special. Emma is followed by her faithful husky companion Be ...more
Milena
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first time I’ve read Mr. Adam and I was pleasantly surprised. He has a unique writing style which I enjoyed. The characters were quirky, colorful, complex, and witty. The plot line was well thought out, unique and intriguing. Adam let his creativity and imagination flow and take over the pages and what a stunning result! I can't even fathom what he might have in store for his readers in the next book in this series, but I know it's going to be GOOD! This is the first book in a series ...more
Ingrid
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I must confess that I am not a fan of the paranormal genre, especially paranormal romance. Vampires are just so overdone! As this is Derek's first foray into the paranormal, I wasn't prepared to be blown away!! He knocked this out of the ballpark on his very first attempt! I have never been so happy that my assumptions were so wrong.
Veil of Darkness is a thrill ride starring two main characters, Luca and Emma, who meet by virtue of their unique abilities to discern and dispatch otherworldly spir
Keri Loves Books
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy paranormal, so this drew me in. For awhile I wasn’t quite sure what was going on, but it all came together.

Luca is a ghostbuster. And Emma hunts demons. Both were sent to find out who or what was coming. The characters are great, especially Sutter and Virgil. These two provide the comic relief. Hitch, we love to hate him because of his past with Luca. Over time, I’m sure we’ll love him too.

The author definitely created some interesting creatures with cool background stories. You can tell
Suzanne
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG... loved this book. Always been a scifi/fantasy fan, and Derek Adam has created an amazing story line truly ensnared me as I read this book. I loved the humor he infused into the story (I laughed out loud at Pope Kraut Von Lickenbum) , the side kicks are wonderful, Bella, Sutter and Virgil. I'm looking forward to see where he takes Hitch in the next book. With that being said... Derek write faster pretty please with a cherry on top, I am ready for Book 2 now!!!! I didn't want this to end, I ...more
Lisa Boyd
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness! This book is freaking amazing! Emma and Luca are so kick-a$$ and I'm loving the slow-burn romance. The paranormal freakiness is AMAZING! The writing is phenomenal, the plot is interesting and very intriguing, and all of the characters are well defined and oh so interesting. I absolutely adored Virgil and Sutter. I can hardly wait for the next part of this story to be published! I've read everything Derek Adam has written and I loved them all for different reasons. This is NOT you ...more
Melissa
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I keep saying that I'm not a huge PNR fan. But then comes an author who proves me wrong, again. Derek is one of those authors.

I loved his first venture into the paranormal side as he brought to life Emma and Luca. Let's not forget about Sutter and Virgil too.

Veil of Darkness was a great break from the usual PNR tropes as well. No vampires, no shifters.

It's a great story that leaves you wanting more from this cast. I can't wait to read part two.
Maria
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bein special is not bad

Love this story. When you think you are the only one with special abilities and BAM! You are not alone. Luca and Emma both with a gift and a companion to help you..or companions 😉
They are both taking care of solving a problem but never imagine what is about to happen...
It is the perfect beginning of sweet and different relationship that lets you feeling hopeful. Can't wait to see what happens on the next book.
Thank you.
« previous 1 3 next »
Derek is a retired Emergency Medical Professional and has been a lover of telling stories his entire life, having made the transition from “filthy liar” to “sexy author” about the same time silver hairs started showing up in his face (and other places.)

In the early days, he attempted to write science fiction and high fantasy, but discovered it was more fun to write about people touching other peop
More about Derek Adam

Veil of Darkness (2 books)
  • Veil of Blood (Veil of Darkness #2)