Start by marking “Girls with Guts!: The Road to Breaking Barriers and Bashing Records” as Want to Read:
Girls with Guts!: The Road to Breaking Barriers and Bashing Records

Girls with Guts!: The Road to Breaking Barriers and Bashing Records

No chasing! No stretching or straining! And never, ever sweat. These were the rules girls were forced to play by until Title IX passed in 1972. And it was a game-changer.

A celebration of the strength, endurance, and athleticism of women and girls throughout the ages, Girls With Guts! keeps score with examples of women athletes from the late 1800s up through the 1970s, sha
Published May 14th 2019 by Charlesbridge

To ask other readers questions about Girls with Guts!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls with Guts!

Ashley Adkins
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this non-fiction picture book about girls who did exactly what they were told not to do! As a sassy lady myself, I love the confidence and courage these girls display. Even more so, I love how this book introduces today's young people to a world otherwise unknown. My two boys, ages 10 and 11, really found this book fascinating and it held there attention throughout. The text is a bit long for a picture book but quality information is there.
Kristin Lenz
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kudos to the author and illustrator for creating an important picture book for everybody, girls and boys, children and adults, to enjoy at home and in the classroom. Debbie Gonzales has lots of resources on her website too - guides for teachers and a podcast with many inspiring female athletes. This book is my go-to gift this year!
Lisa
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent addition to my NF picture book collection!
I love that girls today get to learn about the brave women who made it possible for them to compete in athletics.
Linda
For younger readers, an introduction to the history of women and athletics, those who broke barriers that may surprise children, like women are not supposed to ride bicycles or wear pants when horse-back riding. It is fun to learn some early history like women were not allowed in the ancient Olympic Games, but they defied the rules and ran footraces in private festivals for Hera, queen of the gods. It covers some history of the equal rights movement that challenged educational, athletic, and fin ...more
Kim Chaffee
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a book! Girls With Guts showcases so many female athletes and how they continued to do what they loved, refused to let others hold them back, and fought for the right to play and compete. A must read!
Ann
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The wealth of important information in this book is presented in a fascinating way.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Kristen
Really wonderful nonfiction, perfect for classroom read-aloud and as inspiration to find out more about female athletes who wouldn't let a "no girls allowed" rule stop them. Love!
Amanda
3.5
Shauna Yusko
Important introduction to Title IX
Jan
sometimes I wonder if we still need books like this - and then, after reading, I scold myself- yes, we definitely still need these!!
Mary Hamer
Jun 13, 2019
Kelsey
Jun 26, 2019
Cathy Breisacher
Apr 28, 2019
Brenda Kahn
Earnest overview of the quest for women's participation in sports.
Alyssa