Start by marking “The Long Shadows of Summer (Seasons, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Long Shadows of Summer (Seasons, #1)

The Long Shadows of Summer

(Seasons #1)

The southern town of Saisons lies at the crossroads between North and South, progressive and genteel antebellum life. Between East and West, between history and heritage, and new frontiers. Downton Abbey meets Gone With the Wind.

It’s 1912, in a world where slavery is dying and women’s rights are rising, and four young women who once shared a bond—and experienced a tragedy—
Published August 31st 2017 by Bird's Nest Books

To ask other readers questions about The Long Shadows of Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Shadows of Summer

Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
A girl returned from ‘the dead’. A post-antebellum mansion with secret passages and secrets in general. Four childhood friends, from different backgrounds and different stations, each with distinct personalities, now grown. Mysteries to solve and people to protect. Deep South mixed with French and Native American influences, still trying to reconcile its past with its future.

All of these are ingredients in Robin E. Mason’s compelling novel, The Long Shadows of Summer. The South Carolina setting
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)

What better way to start a book then knowing it's Downtown Abbey meets Gone With the Wind? It was a great story! Although I felt it was a bit long, I enjoyed my time with Mercedes. In fact, at times I wish I was there with her! My favorite part was her first encounter with Simone. It was that combination of excitement and fear, and Ms. Mason did a wonderful job writing that scene.

With a beautiful setting, adventurous characters, and a mystery to solve, you can be sure to get pulled into the stor
Suzie Waltner
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
A mystery within a mystery so entwined together that pulling one thread often only makes the tangles worse while relentless picking unravels another. And a bit of a rags-to-riches story that encourages many in the large cast of characters.

In the first of Robin E. Mason’s Seasons series, we are introduced to Mercedes. She is definitely the mama of this group of four friends, the glue that holds them together while holding their secrets. But sometimes holding secrets can be too much for one person
Rebecca
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
"Meet me at Versailles."

Four childhood friends, now young women, were reduced to three, with the death and disappearance of one of their own. Now it seems, that the dead has returned to life.

Always the curious, instinctive, investigative one of the four, Mercedes Renaldi fills her role well as the head housekeeper of the Dubois estate near Charleston, South Carolina. Clever enough to hide her dear friend in a secret apartment below the grand home, she worries what has transpired over the years
Courtney Clark
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Review to come
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Note: This review is regarding all FOUR books of Robin Mason’s Season series.

Pleased and honored to have completed my first tour with https://justreadtours.com. For more information about Just Read Tours, simply follow the link.

Seasons Book Tour
Robin Mason
Just Read Publicity Tours

Four women; childhood friends. Growing pains; personal growth. Deep love; romance. Husbands; children. Heritage; New beginnings.

These things and more in Robin Mason’s Seasons series, set in the late 19th/early 20th c
Beckie Burnham
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
The Long Shadows of Summer is the first book in the Seasons series and features Mercedes, one of the four childhood friends that the novels revolve around. Although all four women play a part in the story, it is the first person voice of Mercedes that the reader must rely on. As a belowstairs servant, she is privy to a number of family and community secrets, but it seems that she is ignorant of the most shocking, including one that involves herself. Mercedes is a sympathetic character, and the n ...more
Grace
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
The Long Shadows of Summer by Robin E. Mason was a very interesting Historical Fiction book set in turn of the century South Carolina. The main character Mercedes has a calm, predictable life as the housekeeper for a well-to-do southern family, but everything changes when her friend Simone—whom everyone thought was dead—reappears with a shocking secret and a mystery Mercedes is bound to solve.
However, there is much more at play than anyone knows—not only in her friend’s mysterious disappearance
Diana
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This was my first book by Robin E. Mason and the first in her series. I love series books, because I know that I will still have plenty to read once one book is over and I will likely get to “see” the characters again.

I haven’t been reading much in the way of historical fiction, but I did enjoy the time period covered-1900s, and the southern location. What I enjoyed most was the behind the scenes look the main character Mercedes gives us of the wealthy family she works for and the differences in
Andi
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: empty-shelf-2017
The visual word picture that Ms. Mason paints of the south during the Antebellum (1912) era is vivid in both color and shadows. As you read you can hear frogs, and crickets; feel the humidity on your skin as the sun rises in the morning. The upstairs, downstairs world of that time period is particularly interesting and engaging.

While I had a difficult time getting into the book at the beginning, with both the French language inserts, and the first person narrative of Mercedes. I found some of t
Inspirationalfictionreader
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I have read by Robin Mason. It’s also the first book in a series of four. There are 4 main characters that have been friends since childhood. Each book focuses on one of the friends. Book one features Mercedes.

Mercedes has always loved Sherlock Holmes-type mysteries, which is a good thing because in this book, she has a couple of mysteries to try and solve. One that surprisingly focuses on herself and who she really is. The other focuses on her “dead” friend.

I would
Debbie DiFiore
Jul 07, 2018
Chrystal
Oct 08, 2018

“I’ve always had voices—er, stories in my head. I once said I should write them all down so someone could write them someday. I had no idea at the time that someone was me!”

I have been writing since 1995. I lived with depression

Seasons (4 books)
  • The Tilting Leaves of Autumn (Seasons #2)
  • The Silent Song of Winter (Seasons #3)
  • The Whispering Winds of Spring (Seasons Book 4)