Start by marking “Family Man” as Want to Read:
Family Man

Family Man

Sometimes family chooses you.

At forty, Vincent “Vinnie” Fierro is still afraid to admit he might be gay—even to himself. It’ll be a problem for his big, fat Italian family. Still, after three failed marriages, it’s getting harder to ignore what he really wants.

Vinnie attempts some self-exploration in Chicago’s Boystown bars, far from anyone who knows him. Naturally, he run
Kindle Edition, 2nd edition, 234 pages
Published September 11th 2017 by Dreamspinner Press (first published March 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Family Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Man

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.75 stars*

An oldie but a goodie.

Honestly, I feel like I shouldn't have enjoyed this book as much as I did. For one, it switches from first person to third person from chapter to chapter, which should have driven me absolutely bonkers. It also features the typical Italian macho man stereotypes and a depressing alcoholic mother storyline, both of which are usually things that I don't enjoy.

But, alas, a coming out story (in his 40s!), a virgin, and an age gap make me a VERY happy girl.

I really
Susan
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.5 stars…

Every Thanksgiving and Christmas I dread going home to my HUGE Korean extended family...aunts, uncles, and cousins (so many cousins)...forcing food down my mouth, nagging me about marriage and kids and jobs and life. I also LOVE it to death...because...well, it’s FAMILY!

“Family Man” was the Italian version of the Lee Family holiday...except it’s about 2 gay men…and there’s actually a couple involved...and there’s a lot more angst. Close enough.

Vince is an Italian Mafioso - j/k, he’s ac
Gigi
Re-read Oct. 2015: 5 stars! Awesome book to re-read.

Super yummy romantic read!!!

Heidi Cullinan and Marie Sexton are keeping the M/M romance front and center with this charming tale of a thrice divorced Italian boy from a large Catholic family, Vinnie, who finds himself ready, at the late age of 38, to finally come to terms with his attraction to men. He quickly falls for young, down on his luck, Trey, and they take their relationship nice and slow, which makes for a beautiful romance between the
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
3.75 Hearts

Sooooo much to like!

This book has been in my TBR mountain since forever so I pounced when it came up in audio. Before I go into my thoughts on the book, let me just say that Colin Darcy did a wonderful job narrating. His Vinnie put a smile on my face repeatedly. My experience with Italian Americans is limited to The Sopranos so I've no clue if it's spot on or too much but I LOVED it. His Trey melted my heart. It was the sweetest voice! I don't know what he did to his voice for Trey
Kaje Harper
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely story about two men who give each other the chance to stop just existing, and really live.

Vince is finally, after three failed marriages, letting himself face the fact that the failures may have been because he was marrying women. He has a big, loving, intrusive and Catholic family, and family is very important in his life. But when he wants arms around him, he's beginning to realize that he wants them to belong to another man - even if that sets him at odds with his family's c
Heather C
Another wonderful Heidi and Marie collaboration!

What I loved:
♦ Trey and Vin...of course!! Vin, the big, manly Italian who needed to accept a few things about to himself. And Trey, the younger out and proud gay man. I loved the tenderness and passion between them.
♦ The date that wasn't date...very sweet
♦ The "no sex rule"...while providing prolonged sexual tension, it just felt right in their relationship to wait. No rush right? While all the kissing and making out was hot, when they finally m
Trio
Family Man wasn’t at all what I was expecting in a story written by Marie Sexton and Heidi Cullinan. This is such an intimate look into the lives of two completely different men. Both men’s current existence, based so much on what has happened to them over their lives, is gradually revealed as the story progresses.

Of course I expected a happy ending, but the twists and turns of how these two get there is riveting.

There’s a lot going on in Family Man. Between Vinnie’s journey of self discovery
✦❋Arianna✦❋
description

“Family Man” is a love and family story. It’s a story about hope and strength that will definitely make you feel.

Vince Fierro is a 38 years old Italian man. He works as a plumber, even if he has a MBA. Being a commitment–phobe, he divorced three times, so he wonders if he’s gay. He is confused, lonely, he feels like everything he’s doing is wrong. Trying to figure out if he’s gay or not, he goes in a gay club. There he bumps up into Trey, who is a regular in his family’s restaurant.

Trey’s life
Fabi
4.5 stars!

I think this is the best love story I've read this year. And it was published 6 years ago! Heidi Cullinan and Marie Sexton knocked it out of the park.

Vince and his Italian family were portrayed so realistically I kept turning around to see if I was surrounded by mine.

Trey and his family trouble hit my heart over and over. I could FEEL his confusion, his tangled up emotions. It was so easy to put myself in his shoes and relate to his feelings.

The two together? Magic.

I adored this roman
Dan C.
Yes, I read it already because I'm married to one of the authors. Seriously, this will knock your socks off.
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Cute, but predictable*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

The book centers around Parino Brothers Plumbing man (for now?) Vincent ‘Vince’ ‘Vin’ Fierro (38) and student and a worker for two jobs Trey Oscar Giles (25). Vince is having a crisis; he is gay? Is that why he hadn't succeeded in his love life? Why he feels alone even when he's surrounded by his big Italian family? So when he follows sister's advice: check out a gay bar and see how it goes. Vince is freaked, but he does it and his life gets changed forever.
Blacky *Romance Addict*

I absolutely loved the romance here and this would've been 5 stars if not for the drama at the end, and I confess it was just a tad bit too sweet at the end as well :D but still it's a great one!!
Lyn
2 frustrating and disappointing stars.

This book had such a great start. Vinnie is 38 and coming to terms with being gay after 3 failed marriages. Trey is 25 living with his grandmother and alcoholic mother, working two jobs and going to school. Vinnie and Trey aren’t friends, but they know of each because they are from the same neighborhood. They bump into one another at a gay bar from there a friendship and relationship develops. That’s the part I loved about this book.

What turned the tide from
Bev
Plenty of reviews up for this one already so all I'm going to say is I bloody loved it! Give me a crazy Italian family to read about, throw in some hurt/comfort and the cutest of characters and I'm in my happy place. 💖

Camille Adams
Goodreads ate my first review, so here's my second attempt.

This wasn't bad. This wasn't extraordinary. It was just a run of the mill published m/m romance. Thus the three stars.

Some things of note though:

1. This book ends at 90% on my Kindle.

2. There is a plethora of the words "Italian", "family", and "gold chain". While this proliferation was silly and bordered on annoying, it was also just an employ of common words one would use to tell us the characterisation of an Italian MC. There was the
.Lili.
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-gap

Family Man by Heidi Cullinan and Marie Sexton is the epitome of a comfort read. I love stories about self-discovery and family, and this book delivers on both ends. This story is about 38-year-old Vinnie who is coming to terms with the fact that fact he may be gay. One evening he decides to go to a gay club and runs into Trey. He’s known Trey since he was a kid but he’s not a kid anymore. He’s a hard working 25-year-old man who takes care of his mom and grandma while working two jobs and going
Elspeth
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mmr, ebook
This book was a bit difficult for me to rate, there were a lot of things that I loved, but there were also a lot of things that I find distasteful.

I really enjoyed the story of Trey’s mother as an alcoholic, it was eye opening with the abuse of cough syrup. I had heard of kids drinking NyQuil, but not just drinking any cough syrup by the bottle. I also agree with Trey’s standpoint on alcoholism as a disease, this will probably piss a lot of people off, but I have my reasons.
I also loved Vinnie’
Sheri
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Family.
Big or small....near or far…sweet or spicy….we’ve all got one.
Some are forged with blood, many are not.
Some are close, many have distance. However, when push comes to shove, when your life comes apart at the seams, your family is your foundation. ‘Family man’ gives us a peek behind closed doors, at the good, the bad, and the ugly that family bestows.

Set in Little Italy in Chicago we find ourselves tossed into Vince’s rut. A disastrous background in love and yet, he’s not ready to thro
Macky
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all I have to say that or the most part I really enjoyed Family Man and I'm rounding up to 4 but if truth be told the 4 is taking into consideration the quality of writing by two really good authors in this genre, both who I admire a lot. The actual story line I would probably pitch around 3.5 *

I was genuinely engaged in Vince and Treys story and at times was immersed in the drama of it all, especially the drama around Treys mum and her addictions, and I thought the chemistry between t
Lauraadriana
I liked this book a lot. It was suprisingly mellow and the erotica was definetly not front and center, but I liked how the plot focused on the guys getting to a good place before they jumped into bed (I did feel like the "we are not having sex" mantra got a bit repetitive at times, but still the story worked for me).

Vince Fierro is 38, thrice divorced and starting to feel like happines is just not in the cards for him. While on a job at a gay couple's house he has a revelation...Maybe he IS gay.
Karen
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 *I loved Vinnie's voice* stars rounded down because still no 1/2 stars here on GR.

Family...can't live with them...can't live without them...but sometimes..

the choice isn't always ours.I think we can all agree that in general stereo-types suck and while some are worse than others in terms of their implications, some can also have a basis in reality...like the fact that some cultures place a great deal of importance on things like family, which isn't to say that they're the only cultures tha
❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
Awww, Vin & Trey's Love Story.....

Sooooo Romantic!

This book was a treasure find, because it is for the hopeless romantic...and that is me^\^ a hopeless romantic seeker of all books 1st and foremost.

The book, and what I loved.....

Sigh....l loved....

The Dancing gosh, that is my weakness in romance book. I wish more book did this aspect of romance so well.

The MCs were simply adorable. And very well built.

The GFY writing was full of adorable'ness.

The Cuddling and Tenderness made this swoo
Elena
Feb 25, 2019 marked it as sampled-no-thanks  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia, pub-dsp
The sample alone shoved so many clichés about Italians and Italian families down my throat that I almost choked on them.
Janneke
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-gap, m-m
Lovely story. I really liked the big italian family aspect and the process of getting out of the closet and stand for who you are. 5 stars.
Isabel
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica, m-m
This is the sweet and cute story of Trey and Vince!

The book is very well written, but I don't understand why Trey's POV is on 1st person, and Vince's POV on 3rd person. Probably there is a reason for this difference...

I also think that Trey's mother has too much time in the story. It would be nicer to see their relationship developing, instead of seeing Trey devasted, day after day, because of his mother's addictions!

On the other hand Vince's family is wonderful, funny and kind, specially Rachel
Nic
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zz-amazon-yes, mm
Told in alternating POVs, this is a gentle love story.

Vince is nearing forty, has been married three times and is only now facing up to his sexuality. Not only does he have to come to terms with his own internal feelings, he is afraid of the response from his family, fearing his large Catholic, Italian family will not accept him.

"I want to have a relationship with a man. With you. I really, really don't want to screw up anymore." His heart broke, and tears he didn't realize he'd been holding bac
Tutu
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

It’s weird reading a combined work of two authors. Especially these two. I love most of Mary Sexton’s work but Heidi C is not exactly for me. So this book was familiar and yet not.
I read it in one go and I enjoyed it. But I can’t say it will go in my favorites folder.

Vince was an ok character but I saw him as a bit inconsistent. I understood his initial reticence at admitting he’s gay but then his complete 180 was a bit bewildering. As was his next 180 and then his final one. I can understand
AliciaJ
I love big Italian families. And I love books that leave me smiling thru my tears. Put those two things together and I love this story. What a great ride this was. Perfect...just perfect.
Saioa
I knew these two wouldn't disappoint!

description

This book was even better than I was expecting.
Trey's story made me cry, I felt really frustrated and angry on his behalf. I don't think I would've been able to deal with his situation for so long, (view spoiler)
Vinnie totally stole my heart, both MCs were awesome characters b
Fani *loves angst*

Started out well, but after the first half, it kind of flatlined: mo drama, no humor, not much of anything and I just pushed myself to finish this. Pity, cause it had potential in the beginning.

Oh, and the gold chain around a man's neck stopped being sexy in the early 80's. Since then it's considered "Κιτς" and/or "Βλαχιά", which I wish I could translate adequately in English but I can't. Let's just say, they're derogatory terms that mean the opposite of trendy or sexy.

• The Rebuilding Year (The Rebuilding Year, #1)
  • Fear, Hope, and Bread Pudding (Coda Books, #6; Strawberries for Dessert, #2)
  • Christmas Kitsch
  • Slam!
  • Too Stupid to Live (Romancelandia, #1)
  • Something Different
  • Disasterology 101
  • Lost Won (Liaisons #3)
  • The Boys and the Bees
  • Cop Out (Toronto Tales, #1)
  • The Last Day Of Summer
  • Inseparable (Inseparable, #1)
  • Covet Thy Neighbor (Tucker Springs, #4)
  • One Small Thing (One Thing, #1)
  • The Nothingness of Ben (The Austin Trilogy, #1)
  • Second Chances (Second Chances #1)
Heidi Cullinan has always enjoyed a good love story, provided it has a happy ending. Proud to be from the first Midwestern state with full marriage equality, Heidi is a vocal advocate for LGBT rights. She writes positive-outcome romances for LGBT characters struggling against insurmountable odds because she believes there’s no such thing as too much happy ever after. When Heidi isn't writing, she ...more
“And just like that, it’s over. And if you’d been stupid enough to let hope live, or if you’d been fool enough to believe the promise, you’d be crushed. Ruined by that bottle. But I know better now. I kill the hope before it can start. I ignore the promises. That’s how I survive.” He looked over at Vince, his blue eyes wide and vulnerable. “That’s the only way to survive.”

It was the saddest thing Vince had ever heard, this reasoning that living in such a dark, horrible place was the only way Trey had to protect himself from the pain.”
0 likes
“Whoever came up with the idea of group projects, may he die a slow and torturous death.” 0 likes