Start by marking “Warleggan: A Novel of 1792-1793 (Poldark #4)” as Want to Read:
Warleggan: A Novel of 1792-1793 (Poldark #4)

Warleggan: A Novel of 1792-1793

(The Poldark Saga #4)

Warleggan is the fourth novel in Winston Graham's hugely popular Poldark series, which has become a television phenomenon starring Aidan Turner.

Cornwall 1792. Ross plunges into a highly speculative mining venture which threatens not only his family's financial security but also his turbulent marriage to Demelza.

When Ross and Elizabeth's old attraction rekindles itself, De

Published August 19th 2011 by Pan (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Warleggan, please sign up.
Victoria Smiser
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tanya Is it really "slut shaming" or just lack of sympathy? Winston Graham doesn't give us more insight into her character until The Four Swans and The…moreIs it really "slut shaming" or just lack of sympathy? Winston Graham doesn't give us more insight into her character until The Four Swans and The Angry Tide. Up to that point, we see her mostly through the filters of the other characters: primarily Ross and Demelza. What was her motivation in telling Ross that she still loved him and had made a mistake in choosing Francis? Did she later act in a way that she thought would lure Ross to her? Did she change her mind when confronted with the angry, jealous Ross? How did she feel that night after Ross left? We see NONE of that from her point of view. Readers are led to feel what the author wants them to feel and there was little effort on Winston Graham's part for us to feel sympathy for Elizabeth. He did a far better job leading us to Demelza's feelings of loss and betrayal. If one is honest, WG depicts Ross as an imperfect person who makes many mistakes. I personally love Ross the character BECAUSE he's flawed. I muttered "Ross, you ass" more times than I can count while reading the series. But I also believe in redemption (in real-life and fiction) and I think Ross's later dealings with Elizabeth, George, and Valentine are meant to redeem him. (less)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

My idiot self read the 5th book before this one! 😂🤣. I was wondering what the hell was going on when I read the other one! I mean I watch and own the shows but it was still off! Now I know!! Although, I could have skipped this one because this is the one in which Ross made me so mad I wanted to throw him off the roof! But I digress! Moving on ....

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Candi
I don't know if I've ever felt as emotional throughout the entirety of a book as I was with this one! *Gulp*! I must be really caught up in this now; these are like my own people. Some of them I want to sit down to tea with and have a nice heart-to-heart. Others I want to shake until a spot of sense returns. Some of these characters seem like little children that have been led astray- I may be angry with them but deep down I still care.

It’s hard to say too much without giving anything away – I
Karen
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 STARS

OMFG! I am so hopelessly lost in this series!!! I cannot believe this was written by a man. I so would have loved to have know Winston Graham. A rare exceptional man, I expect. Sensational writing.
``Laurie Henderson
I've given the 4th book in the Poldark series a 5 star rating.

The Poldark's continue to struggle along as Ross sinks every last penny he owns into a last ditch effort to revive the played out mine Wheal Grace, with his cousin Francis as his partner. The treacherous George Warleggan attempts to destroy Ross's life at every opportunity but thanks to a kind deed from an anonymous Good Samaritan he manages to thwart Warleggan's schemes.

(view spoiler)
Samantha
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this fourth installment of the series, an unexpected tragedy sets of a series of events that could prove disastrous for Ross and his family. When his long-time sweetheart Elizabeth announces that she will remarry to Ross's long-time nemesis George Warleggan, Ross makes a decision in a random moment of anger that threatens to destroy his and Demelza's relationship forever. Can Demelza forgive Ross, or will she try and hurt him in the same way? This book was thrilling installment full of betray ...more
Karen
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish I could give 6 stars for this book. The whole Poldark series is a literary set of gems but this is a standout piece of writing.

I cried reading parts of this book, something very rare for me.

Warleggan has to be one of the most heart wrenching books I have read, it is a beautifully written study of a marriage in crisis - this book shows how cruel people can unwittingly be to those who love them. Winston Graham shows the betrayal,the anger, the disgust - heightened emotions of self doubt, re
Diane Barnes
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's rare that a series gets so much better with each succeeding book, but this one certainly does. I am reading one book a month so as not to get so immersed that I get tired of it, but I'm having a hard time not grabbing the next one right away.
My only problem so far is that I'm pretty sure after reading the next 8 books to complete the saga, I will have to go into mourning for these characters and their small portion of geography on the Cornwall coast.

Always looking to the bright side though,
I am torn about this installment in the series. The writing continues to be excellent, and the majority of the plot was entertaining. HOWEVER, I'm not sure I can enjoy the continuing storyline ever again after one of the main characters acted so unforgivably, horribly wrong at one point in the story.
Diane Lynn
Another excellent addition to the Poldark series. Each book covers about two years of day to day life. Graham's writing is top notch as he portrays life in 1790's Cornwall. This book had a couple of devastating (to me) events occur that I really don't want to even hint at, that would be spoiling. There were high points as well. Worth every one of those 5 stars.
Sønia
Este libro necesita echarle de comer aparte... Menudos cabreos me he pillado con él. Pero justamente eso es lo que más he disfrutado. Warleggan es un libro de esos que no te deja indiferente, que te hace querer "tirar personajes por los acantilados" (eh Gema? xDDD), te hace echar humo por las orejas y que la bilis se te salga por la boca. No exagero.
He de decir que para leer este libro hay que tener muy, muy claro, pero muy muy mucho, el contexto histórico en que transcurre y también el año en
Piper
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, read-in-2016
"It's nearly twelve," he said. "Let us sit up awhile and call it Christmas tonight."

Five stars once again. Winston Graham's writing just never gets old. I truly believe I could read these novels until I've memorized every word and still find them just as raw and emotional as if reading them for the first time.
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
Este libro ha sido una montaña rusa de emociones. He sufrido y lo he pasado fatal fatal como únicamente lo he pasado con "El jardín de verano". Aquí he acabado odiando a personajes que adoraba y queriendo más aún a otros, Demelza y Dwight sobre todo.
Este es escritor no tiene consideración alguna con el sufrido lector.
Una fucking maravilla de libro.
Inés Izal
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Ahora mismo estoy en la mierda más absoluta.

¿Cómo han podido llegar a esto?
¿Cómo han podido hacerme esto?
Estoy en shock.
Lisazj1
This one was the biggest emotional rollercoaster so far, for me. Lots of highs and lows for our beloved Ross and Demelza, as well as some dear friends. Though there were things here that made me furious at least (view spoiler), so I would be happy for that if nothing else.

This family has me completely ensnared in their lives! I'll be soon picking up The Black Moon, b
Sara
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lianne
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine installment of the Poldark series, although this one broke my heart "Ross, how could you?!"
Michele
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
This has been the best one so far for me. I was completely caught up in this book and had a hard time putting it down.
To say I was disappointed in Mr. Ross Poldark's behavior would be the understatement of the year. Wondered if I could really keep reading but I did and loved the ending.
I am becoming dangerously obsessed with these people and their lives.

Winston Graham, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for getting my through the dreadful winter of 2015. You absolutely made it bearable an
Mary
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better for re-reading!

Ross Poldark's last gamble ......
He risks his happiness with Demelza as he tangles with the powerful Warleggan.

A very moving book with twists and turns over love.
I would recommend reading as the Poldark books have so much social history and are beautifully written.

A powerful moving book!
I loved it!
KOMET
The Poldark saga continues, spanning the years 1792-94. Ross and his cousin Francis are trying to keep afloat a mine that they have maintained for some time. But Ross is hard put to get the necessary additional financing and finds himself falling deeper in debt. George Warleggan firmly establishes himself in Cornish society and as an economic powerholder in Cornwall.

The growing power and influence of Warleggan throughout the novel is highlighted, as are the lives of Ross & Demelza, Francis
Sarah-Vita
Ugggghh!!!! This book was a roller coaster!! From "Ross, you idiot!" to "My poor Demelza," to "Oh no, Ross!" and back again!! I was so cared for the ending, but it was beautiful! I cried a few times reading this, and again at the end! I don't want to spoil this one for anyone, because it's such a huge plot twist in the series... but I think this may be my favorite Poldark novel so far!!
So anxious for Aidan and Eleanor to return to it in Series 2 this September! Gaaaahh!!!
Weronika ★

With every new part I'm more and more in love with this series.
Can't wait to read the next part. I need more Dwight & Caroline.
Ann
After reading a particular incident within this book especially, my opinion of Ross Poldark has darkened greatly. Listening to people brush it off as a folly of poor character is sickening.
Marilyn
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeanne Johnston
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of things start to pay off here, but also some huge disappointments... Francis, Ross, and... well, Elizabeth was always a bitch, wasn't she? But Verity's life is mostly on track (we have yet to see the new stepdaughter get over herself), and then there's the mine. For good measure, George gets knocked on his arse a couple of times. I'm really hoping there's a good heart attack or stroke in his future.

Brief because I have two books to go and the new series starts this weekend. Whee!
Susan
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far the most intriguing. The series builds. It is wonderful! Of the characters - sometimes you want to hit Ross over the head even though he's enchanting, and sometimes you want to do the same to Elizabeth because she is not! Not a fan of Elizabeth!
Lauren Stoolfire
I am hooked on these books and the adaptation!
Ana.en_las_nubes
intento que un libro no me afecte, en este caso ha sido inevitable, si tuviera delante a más de un personaje no se como reaccionaría. Demelza es una heroína ahí lo dejo.
Geo Kwnstantinou
Poor Francis...
Oh Ross what did you do???!!!!
Tasha
This series is just getting better and better.
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Synopsis and Major Events-SPOILERS! 4 113 Jun 10, 2017 07:54AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Francis 16 81 Jun 06, 2017 10:36AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Favorites 6 51 Nov 08, 2016 10:55AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: New characters introduced in this book 4 36 Oct 13, 2016 03:28PM
Poldark Saga discussion group 1 10 Nov 24, 2015 12:04PM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: This topic has been closed to new comments. SPOILER-The Very Bad Thing in this book 69 1045 Nov 16, 2015 02:57PM
  • The Green Gauntlet
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • With All My Heart
  • The women of Eden (Eden #4)
  • The Lost Prince: The Survival of Richard of York
  • The Moon in The Water (Heron, #1)
  • The Heaven Tree (Heaven Tree, #1)
  • Mary Anne
  • London: The Autobiography
  • The Flowering of the Rose (We Speak No Treason, #1)
  • Deadly Election (Flavia Albia Mystery, #3)
  • Lily Cigar
  • The Story of English: How an Obscure Dialect Became the World's Most-Spoken Language
  • The Disorderly Knights (The Lymond Chronicles, #3)
  • Bride of the MacHugh
  • Anne Boleyn
  • Penmarric
  • Marianne (Marianne, #1)
Winston Graham was the author of forty novels. His books have been widely translated and the Poldark series has been developed into two television series, shown in 22 countries. Six of Winston Graham's books have been filmed for the big screen, the most notable being Marnie, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Winston Graham was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature (FRSL) and in 1983 was invested ...more

The Poldark Saga (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Ross Poldark (Poldark #1)
  • Demelza (Poldark, #2)
  • Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3)
  • The Black Moon (Poldark, #5)
  • The Four Swans (Poldark, #6)
  • The Angry Tide (Poldark, #7)
  • The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8)
  • The Miller's Dance (Poldark, #9)
  • The Loving Cup (Poldark, #10)
  • The Twisted Sword (Poldark, #11)
“When you bring an idealised relationship down to the level of an ordinary one it isn't necessarily the ordinary one that suffers'.” 50 likes
“If you wish to discover a man's true feelings, it is always best to provoke him.” 16 likes