Start by marking “Lightspeed Magazine, September 2017” as Want to Read:
Lightspeed Magazine, September 2017

Lightspeed Magazine, September 2017

LIGHTSPEED is an online science fiction and fantasy magazine. In its pages, you will find science fiction: from near-future, sociological soft SF, to far-future, star-spanning hard SF--and fantasy: from epic fantasy, sword-and-sorcery, and contemporary urban tales, to magical realism, science-fantasy, and folktales.

This month, we have original science fiction by Timothy M
Kindle Edition
Published August 31st 2017 by John Joseph Adams

To ask other readers questions about Lightspeed Magazine, September 2017, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lightspeed Magazine, September 2017

Gary
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Among the original fiction, there were two very good stories here. The best of them is Jaymee Goh's "The Last Cheng Beng Gift"(****), a charming and entertaining fantasy about a woman "living" her afterlife in the underworld, who receives annual gifts from her still living children. She hates the gifts she receives from her daughter, and finally decides to take a trip back to the living world to haunt her. Goh does and excellent job of establishing her protagonist and the otherworldly setting, a ...more
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magazines
This was an excellent issue, a rare one with no duds at all.

My favorites were "Blue Ribbon" by Marissa Lingen, "The Last Cheng Beng Gift" by Jaymee Goh, "The Magician's Apprentice" by Tamsyn Muir, and the novella reprint "Near Zennor" by Elizabeth Hand (I probably shouldn't have read that one at night... with the darkness outside my windows).
Jen
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-freebie
Another Levar Burton Reads offering. I really liked this one. The MC, while not overly sympathetic, does learn and it was a satisfying ending for me. 4 solid stars.
G33z3r
Since JJ Adams also publishes Nightmare Magazine, I don't understand why he insists on polluting the pages of this magazine with horror stories as well. Isn't there any non-horror fantasy out there anymore?

"Ugo" by Giovanni De Feo
Interesting story of a little girl who has a time-traveling boyfriend who knows the future... maybe. Engaging storytelling with an enigmatic ending. ****

"The Last Cheng Beng Gift" by Jaymee Goh
Spirit of dead Chinese mom still doesn't understand her kids. Interesting app
Paul
Original Sci-fi: Timothy Mudie ("An Ever-Expanding Flash of Light") One of my favorite stories this year. Amazing
Giovanni De Feo ("Ugo") - Great

reprints by Tamsyn Muir ("The Magician's Apprentice") - Good
Tobias Buckell ("Shoggoths in Traffic"). -
John Stinebaugh
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
An ok story about what is truly important in this life...and the next.
Michael Whiteman
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Blue Ribbon - Marissa Lingen ***
I liked the core ideas of this one and the main characters had a solid depth to them, but the story as a whole needed more time to breathe. All the big emotional points seemed rushed and almost glossed over, although in part this was down to the narrator's need to seem in control and not panicking.

An Ever-Expanding Flash Of Light - Timothy Mudie **
There's a fairly sweet story in here about making the most of the time you have and not putting things off while you
Chrysten Lofton
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5⭐ “Good thing you’re dead then,” Ling Mo said, “now got time to enjoy.”
**spoilers**

This story is so lovely. If you’re here, and you’re following my reviews, thank you for rolling with me. We’re on episode 27 of Stitcher’s LeVar Burton Reads, and we’re gifted with “The Last Cheng Beng Gift” by Jaymee Goh.

LeVar really broke this one down for me, there’s almost nothing I can add.

This is one of the best stories. I can see myself coming back to it later. It’s just so personal. I think lots of
Kelly
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a brilliant listen. LeVar is amazing. I'm so glad he chose this to read on his podcast otherwise who knows when I would have discovered this short story! I genuinely enjoyed listening to it and it was so inspiring! It fired up my imagination in so many ways and filled my head with amazing ideas for stories of my own. It also lead to a fascinating and educational trip down many internet rabbit holes as I learned more about the Qingming festival and much, much more. I love re-listening to ...more
Shelly
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting story into a culture that fascinates me (being a small part of my family heritage that is unknown to me). The mother is a bit standoffish, and traditional, but later comes to just wanting her children to be happy. She seems to finally be proud of her daughter in the end, and can move on from the afterlife. Beautifully told, both in details and writing by the author, and from Levar narrating.
Eva Ebert
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story about a mother who loved her children and wanted the best for them and did what she thought was the best, but didn't really understand her daughter.
There's a lot of quiet humour in the story and the way the world of the dead is described, which was also fascinating to read about. And I liked that we got the mother's perspective. There are lots of stories about children being at odds with their parents, but it's almost always from the child's point of view.
Everything in this was a solid 3-4 stars so I can't say I didn't enjoy or get something out of all the stories. I think the stand outs were definitely Blue Ribbon by Marissa Lingen, The Last Cheng Beng Gift by Jaymee Goh, and Carthago Delenda Est by Genevieve Valentine. I would honestly read entire books based off those three.
Like I said everything in this was solid though. Definitely one to pick up if you like the magazine.
Rune
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story to see how different cultures do different things to remember family is neat. This is the story about the older generation not getting the younger but later coming to love them anyway.
Jessie
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story was read on one of LeVar Burton’s podcasts and it was fascinating to read a story that allows you to get a glimpse of another culture.
Jill Bachelder
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
an amazing story that brilliantly uses science fiction to explore a flawed mother-daughter relationship
Kathryn Baron
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Timothy Mudie ("An Ever-Expanding Flash of Light") **
Giovanni De Feo ("Ugo") **
Jonathan
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really loved the short stories in this issue.I have subscribed to this magazine since May. The reason i did not give it 5 stars is because i did not enjoy the books reviewed at the end.
Megan
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good. Such a fun and lovely story about family, life, death, and what matters most. It's a very light-hearted take on what can be a very dark and dreary topic!
Raji
Aug 28, 2018
Alexis
Aug 29, 2018
Sumaya
rated it did not like it
Nov 27, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
John Joseph Adams is the series editor of BEST AMERICAN SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY. He is also the bestselling editor of many other anthologies, such as ROBOT UPRISINGS, DEAD MAN'S HAND, BRAVE NEW WORLDS,WASTELANDS, and THE LIVING DEAD. Recent and forthcoming books include WHAT THE #@&% IS THAT?, OPERATION ARCANA, PRESS START TO PLAY, LOOSED UPON THE WORLD, and THE APOCALYPSE TRIPTYCH (cons ...more