Start by marking “The Tactical Guide to Women: How Men Can Manage Risk in Dating and Marriage” as Want to Read:
The Tactical Guide to Women: How Men Can Manage Risk in Dating and Marriage

The Tactical Guide to Women: How Men Can Manage Risk in Dating and Marriage

For men, love is a high-stakes gamble. The right woman can be the best part of a man’s life, and the wrong one can lead to personal and financial ruin. In today’s climate, no man should venture into romance without a reliable risk-management strategy.

The Tactical Guide to Women delivers a solid plan for allowing the right women into your life, and keeping the wrong ones
Published September 1st 2017 by Mesa Press (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Tactical Guide to Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tactical Guide to Women

Start your review of The Tactical Guide to Women: How Men Can Manage Risk in Dating and Marriage
Cara
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: life
I got this book because I was curious about how much overlap it would have with the same author's book for women about how to pick good men. Each book has three key traits to look for, and two are clearly the same: emotional maturity and mental health/stability. I was curious if "clarity" (in women) was equivalent to "purpose" (in men), or if they're different concepts.

Although I devoured the book for women about men, this one took a lot longer to get into. The content of the first three chapter
COLE OTT
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very informative and eye opening. The "comedy" within the book is quite dull , but past that very good dialogue. ...more
Christina Bloomfield
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Women, read this book. Then read the book written for women by the same author. I plan to. If the man in your life is trying to be a better man for you show him your appreciation by becoming a better woman for him. Great insight into who we are as women, real and honest. Everyone has room for improvement.
Shannon
An overview of the qualities to seek in a mate if one chooses to marry as well as an idea of the risks involved for those with assets if they choose the wrong mate.

MY GRADE: B plus.
Evan Micheals
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I added this book sometime ago to my virtual "to read" sometime ago (maybe I heard the author on a podcast). I was not expecting much, but this is a surprisingly good book. The premise of the book is that poor relationship planning can be just as destructive as poor financial planning for an individual. Doing either well leaves one much better off in so many ways (Smith lists the many advantages for men to be involved in a long term marriage). Whilst there are plenty of books about financial pla ...more
Andy Katz
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Based on may cited psychological research, which I really liked.
I recommend this book for people who wants to make good decisions about relationships.
As well as to understand better how to act to maintain happy, fulfilling and stable relationships.
Bhaskar kumar
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Read it. You will do yourself a favour. Not the regular female nature bashing in here. It Starts from the self and then takes it to the other gender. Pretty informative, structured and a good assessment tool.
Lily Haven
Apr 08, 2020 rated it liked it
There are things I really like about this book. I think it is fantastic that it starts with looking at yourself before it ever goes into looking at what you would want to find in someone else. There is plenty throughout the book about taking responsibility for your own part in how things are going and not simply thinking the other person is at fault. There is a wonderful focus on being healthy and looking for a healthy partner.

But I really don't agree with the chapter on divorce... To give persp
Jack
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Take luck and chicanery out of the game. An educated, psychological look at relationships.

Part one focuses on us, the man. We can't expect anything without handling our shite first. Becoming a 'high-status man' simplifies the dating game. Smith has a brilliant section on values which allowed me to put words on this oftentimes vague concept. He's doesn't cotton wool the situation. Life's going to be challenging and our minds need supervision. Otherwise our monkey brains will pursue hedonistic s
Chris Raastad
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Required reading for thoughtful men navigating the world of dating and relationships, especially in the USA where men will lose their shirt in divorce court (Bezos $38 Billion?). I wish I picked up this book 10 years ago. My friend in Miami suggested this book after it helped him figure out the red flags in his relationship, which ultimately, for long-term benefit, resulted in a breakup.

This is not a pickup book, but rather a risk management course on dating and long term relationships. This boo
Joseph Knecht
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book offers a well-researched guide to relationships from a male perspective. The author states that humans can be defined by a set of core beliefs which are formed from conclusions born out from survival logic. These core beliefs are often reflected involuntary through our behavior mostly but can also be identified by ourselves if we make the effort. Apparently, shared beliefs are a very important indicator for compatibility. What a surprise? (sarcasm).

The women who are good partners, acco
Rick
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this and a few others like, "Rational Male" should almost be required reading for guys in their teens, and through life.
not a "pick up artist" book. Just great information on the differences in the way men and women approach problems.
I am seen quite a few books written by women, or from that point of view, on how men should act according to them. this one is different. it also puts the responsibility back on the guy to get their own lives in order. overall a great read, with useful suggestions
Liliana Diaz
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Insightful

Although this is intended for men, a friend recommended this book. It's been amazing to know what men think, how the landscape is for them and what are the traits the should search for in women, because -believe it or not- we do want the same basis. I enjoyed the reading and this gave me a good perspective. I will say it's a basic tool for men looking to have real commitment and a good relationship
Alex
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
YES! This was superb and I will definitely be reading this again. Recommended by a friend, I think every hetero dude should read this...especially if you find yourself falling for bad women, too. 5 stars +
Oliver
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're a man, and have any interest in getting into a relationship of any kind, do yourself a favour and read this book.

You won't regret it
SilverReader
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Required reading for men of all ages. Goes far beyond marriage in its advice. I will make sure to read it again when on a serious relationship.
ⵎⵓⵏⵉⵔ
This is a great resource for people (men especially, there's an equivalent book for women by the same author) who contemplate the possibility of dating, marrying, or having anything to do with the opposite sex that involves anything more than a non-platonic interaction or a one-night-stand. I cannot claim that it is the best or final resource, nor does the author, a clinical psychologist by profession, claim anything of the sort either.

Married men might also benefit from this book, at least to a
Denis Koltsov
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The title of this book might make you think that it's something misogynistic and out of pickup-artistry world. That's not the case it all.

The author highlights the differences between male and female psychology and he does it respectively, without looking down on women but rather acknowledging the simple facts based on research.

First third of the book gives recommendations to men how to be the best possible partner they can be — because relationships is obviously not a one-sided game and partner
Waseem Abunnadi
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Granted, it sounds like a cheesy title, but this book is from a reputable professional medical author with clinical examples and lots of research and science to back it up. I picked up this book when I read: "This is not another book about getting laid, This book is about not getting screwed".

Unlike the typical pick up artist community literature, this book talks about strategies for the reader to be a better person, what to look for, what to avoid, and how to take good care of what he has.

The
Komi Amegblenke
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
At first i wanted to read this book. The introduction felt like a mgtow sort of book. But as you listen to this audiobook it becomes apparent that shawn smith is looking out for us guys. He describes what we, as man, should look for when choosing a partner. Yes beauty is important but there are other factors that are more important such as her mental health, how she handles disagreements, her treatment of others, her priorities, etc. If i had bought the book i would have highlight everything. Ho ...more
Jose Vallejo
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the book many men need to read, it asks you to ask yourself the right questions when it comes to women. It also gives the view that people need for pursuing women, a healthy approach to making meaningful relationships with humans. I am 19 years old and recently went through a relationship with an immature girl, I wish I had read this book 3 months ago when I noticed the red flags, and I would have saved myself so much time and effort.
Julian
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The pill of truth. Highly recommended for any man seeking to understand how to make a long-term relationship work. The tactical guide provides a clear, defined, systematic approach to attracting and maintaining high quality LTRs by embracing masculinity, having clear values, and identifying/avoiding pitfalls.
Jeff
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read 1/2/2019
Explains the psychology and inner-workings on marriage and relationships people are afraid to talk about. The culture and norms are changing and it’s important for both men and women to read this book. I see the societal change happening to delay or forego marriage because of the stuff this book points out. Definitely worth reading.
John
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best relationship books I’ve ever read. You’ll feel like you’re sitting down and having a face-to-face conversation with Shawn about applied psychology. This book reads really fast; once I started, I couldn’t put it down. I highly recommend this book if you want to learn more about women, relationships, and yourself.
Titas Malinauskas
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A nice book that tought me some tips - one of my favorites that after a conflict women take longer to forgive and when a man has forgiven and tries to be sweet and hug her this can make her even more angry because she hasn't forgiven him yet. Some tips are quite mainstream - like don't choose depressed alcoholic or drug addict wife. ...more
Joshua
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This should be mandatory reading for any man entering any kind of relationship with the opposite sex.

Probably the most important advice is about marriage: DON'T DO IT. Unless you want to take a huge risk.

The chapters on finding a healthy woman and red flags to avoid are excellent.
misganaw wovnach
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!

Wow. Great well written book. Thank you Dr Shawn Smith for these priceless tips.
I will recommend this to all of my friends!
Tai Tai
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
should be required reading in college.
Luke Hartman
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book

Really good book to teach you how to be prepared. Presented excellently. Thank you for this excellent book. All the best.
Dragon Noir
Best book so far on dating and marriage

• The Rational Male
  • The Rational Male – Preventive Medicine
  • The Rational Male - Positive Masculinity
  • The Way of Men
  • No More Mr. Nice Guy
  • How to Be a 3% Man, Winning the Heart of the Woman of Your Dreams
  • The Unplugged Alpha: The No Bullsh*t Guide To Winning With Women & Life
  • Bachelor Pad Economics
  • The Way of the Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Women, Work, and Sexual Desire
  • The Man's Guide to Women: Scientifically Proven Secrets from the "Love Lab" About What Women Really Want
  • The Parasitic Mind: How Infectious Ideas Are Killing Common Sense
  • Models: Attract Women Through Honesty
  • The Book of Pook
  • What Women Want When They Test Men: How To Decode Female Behavior, Pass A Woman's Tests, And Attract Women Through Authenticity
  • Atomic Attraction: The Psychology of Attraction
  • Becoming a Barbarian
  • Dating Essentials for Men: The Only Dating Guide You Will Ever Need
  • Men on Strike: Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream - and Why It Matters