Start by marking “Stranger Things Have Happened” as Want to Read:

Stranger Things Have Happened

This award-winning book recently earned acclaim from the prestigious Next Generation Indie Book Awards as a 2019 Finalist for e-Book Fiction. It's also a 2019 New Apple Literary Official Selection for Short Stories. And a 2020 Book Excellence Award Winner for Horror.

Stranger Things Have Happened is a collection of unrelated, but interconnected, short stories dealing with t
Published September 1st 2017 by Thomas Gaffney

To ask other readers questions about Stranger Things Have Happened, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stranger Things Have Happened

Start your review of Stranger Things Have Happened
Brittany
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-arcs
2nd re-read for me was as enjoyable as the first! Unique, creepy, and eerie, all the good stuff!

Creepy ghost stories, illness, demons, these short stories were fabulous and one, in particular, gave me goosebumps!

I love this collection of short stories. They make me not only think, but appreciate the little things I have in life.

My Absolute Favorites♥️:
NAPKIN
GHOST
CELEBRITY

12/18/19
------------------------------------------------------------------
A great coffee table book to have out around Fall or
Lisa
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this e-book through a goodreads giveaway, and I'll admit I was happy to get it. This collection was a rarity for me, as there wasn't one story I didn't like. Believe me, I can usually find something to grumble about. My favorite was Feeeeenix. I ended that tale thinking "how do people come up with this?" Good stories all, and definitely one I'd recommend.
Donna
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2018
3.5 stars.

I won this book in a Good Reads giveaway, and in exchange I will now give an honest review. :)

Well, that was unexpected! I knew this was an anthology of short stories by the same author, but I was not expecting (view spoiler). I like it! ^-^

I wouldn't say that this collection left me feeling super excited, but it did manage to pique my interest. The writing is competent, even super clever at times (especially in terms of structure), and whil
Kristy
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stranger Things Have Happened was a solid 4 star read for me (I won a copy in a Goodreads giveaway.) I enjoyed every single story in this short collection. I love how the first and last stories tied into one another. All of the stories were original, quirky, and eerie. I look forward to reading more from Thomas Gaffney!
Ryan
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED is a mashed-up horror anthology consisting of tales ranging from vampires to the paranormal. Most of the stories were well written, yet bland and lacked form. Gaffney’s writing shines in the final three, which I vigorously enjoyed. They are as follows:

THE DAY HAROLD SANFORD GOT CANCER-Ending was completely unexpected

MISSING-Satyrical observation on the Women Seeking Men online adds. Or perhaps, it’s ‘Something Else’ Seeking a Man.

FRAXINUS AMERICANA-The perfect
Jantine
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stories in this book all got me in their grip very quickly. They came from some very interesting ideas. I'll never hear or read anything about killing time or go to sleep in the same way again for instance. My favourite story was the one about a fenix. I'd love to read more about the characters too!

Just as the stories were easy to dive into, they were easy to read and hard to put aside as well. I received this book yesterday afternoon, and finished it this morning.

I received a free copy thro
CorrieGM
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Strange, strange stories indeed. I loved reading them. They made me feel sad sometimes, and sometimes I had to laugh, sadly.
I enjoyed reading the book and it was a pity once it was finished.
Jeffrey Hatcher
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gaffney has a fondness for ashes, and this book has them. Stranger Things is a small but very imaginative collection of short stories suitable for reading to naughty children before you put them to bed. The tales tend to the starkly fatalistic and brief. Gaffney presents mortality from diverse and vivid perspectives. Naughty children notwithstanding, this is a literary work for an adult mind.

My chief criticism is only that some of the stories could be longer. Brevity is essential to some of his
Ellen Hamilton
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Deliciously creepy, the stories in this book sent thrills to my fingertips and chills down my spine. I especially loved "Eight Days a Week". Great work!

Thanks to the author who shared his work with me in exchange for an honest review. :)
J.L. Slipak
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fabulous! A bit dry at times but I did enjoy this read. I struggled to stay invested in this book mid-way and think it could have been written differently, but this author does have a unique voice and talent. I loved the premise, the ending and most of the bits in between.
Pete Babore
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Won this in a Goodreads giveaway. I am not normally a fan of short stories, but I really enjoyed this novel. I think Thomas Gaffney is a very imaginative writer and am looking forward to more of his work.
William Bitner Jr.
By Thomas Gaffney

Genre - Fiction
Subgenre - Single Author Short Stories/Horror/Paranormal/Speculative
Pages - 81
Publication Information - Independently Published - August 30, 2017
Format - Digital
Reviewed by William C. Bitner, Jr. (https://booksinmylibraryblog.wordpres...)
Rating - 📙📙📙📙📙

Stranger Things Have Happened by Thomas Gaffney is a multifarious collection of nine very interesting short stories. This is also Thomas Gaffney’s debut collection. I quite enjoyed each
Suzy Michael
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
*I was given a review copy by the author in exchange for my fair and honest review.*

Thomas Gaffney's debut collection of nine short stories is a refreshing, new read the literary world needs. Unique and creative, Stranger Things Have Happened takes the natural and flips it in a delightfully twisted and unnatural way.

Stories:
1. Fraxinum- about an out of this world ash tree.
2. Feeeeenix- a man coming to terms with the legacy his deceased father left behind.
3. Napkin- a troubled man gets some help
Bespectacled Petal
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recently I have discovered that there are some amazing books being sold on Amazon for next to nothing. This book is one of them. I was lucky enough to get this book free from Netgalley but on Amazon.com, this book is available for 99 cents, which, in my opinion, is a steal of a deal. I sound as if I am advertising for him, aren’t I? Lol. I actually am not. What I am saying is that this book is definitely worth a read.

So let’s get to the meat of this review. Stranger Things Have Happened is a col
Shayney Hardcastle
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*I would like to thank NetGalley for allowing me to read these for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review of the book*

This is a collection of short stories of the unnatural kind, which I kept putting off as I wanted to read them during my Horror Reading Fest. As with all books of short stories, you do get some individual stories that are better than others and some that are completely forgettable. Seriously! I read this super fast and there are some I’ve already forgotten. But hidden
Booksiren
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taut and addictive, Gaffney’s multiple award-winning debut easily transcends its genre when it comes to presenting an eerie grouping of tales.

“Fraxinus” tells the story of a group of women who are forced to fight an ancient and seeming undefeatable enemy in a landscape at once relentlessly dark and vividly disquieting. In “FEEEEENIX,” the mild-mannered protagonist comes to terms with his late father’s legacy. In bleak but fascinating “Napkin,” the reader sees a troubled protagonist approached b
Rebecca Hill
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booktasters, horror
If you are in the mood for some short stories, then you need to check this book out. This book took me a little less than an hour to read, and the stories pretty much held my interest the entire way through. There, of course, are ones that you enjoy more than others, and a few managed to make the hair on my arms crawl a little bit. When it comes to crafting a spooky story, they have to be done in such a way so as not to give away the entirety of the story, and yet leave you wanting more. These s ...more
Nathan
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
A quick array of short stories, similar in tone, that would appear to be good way to fill your time if you're in the mood for something a little weird, with a slant of horror.

Are these tales all interconnected? Didn't appear to be.

Writing's tough, and fulfilling the expectations of a reader and striving to deliver something fresh/clever/new must be a tremendous task, so I must consider it; having said that, these tales didn't really resonate with me. Admittedly, they felt either disjointed, co
Divya Mahajan
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stranger Things Have Happened by Thomas Gaffney is a collection of eerie short stories that mange to spook. There are 9 stories and each story has a different element that is scary, spooky or that elicits what just happened moments.
Each story has a twist. I especially loved Feeeeenix , missing and ghost. The stories are never repetitive , each has fresh new angle and simple to read but as the title suggests "Stranger Things Have Happened".
I am big fan of short stories or flash fiction and not a
Nony
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading Short Stories. Stranger Things Have Happened is a collection of Short Stories written by the author Thomas Gaffney.

My favourite is Fraxinus. It's a story about a tree. It was an ash tree, ancient by all standards of measuring time. It is the second day of true Autumn when a leaf changed its color and fell on the ground. The group of women along with the village Queen gathered in front of the weird tree. Queen's advisor Margaret has a daughter named Amy Curtis. When she fell, the
George1st
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Firmly rooted between two stories featuring trees Thomas Gaffney branches out into the world of the strange, unnatural and downright bizarre. There is a nice collection of eclectic short stories here that range from a traditional children's ghost story to vampire derived horror. The whole book can be easily read in a few hours or like most short story anthologies can be read as when a few spare moments present themselves.

Each story had its merits but I particularly liked Eight Days a Week which
Mary
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stranger Things Have Happened is a likable collection of short stories for those of us that like all things creepy. A big plus for me is that Thomas Gaffney does not rely on blood, guts and gore to put the scare in his tales, instead he goes for the imagination. Thank you for that. The collection starts and ends with "...a story about a tree..., which ties things together nicely and if you think about it, might remind you that some horrors never really die...they are repeated in some way or anot ...more
Rob White
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
"I was given a copy of this in exchange for an honest review"

Seven stories, with a snapshot at the start and end that nicely tie the collection together. Some of the stories come across as complete, and others as if they would serve as the opener for longer works, Napkin in particular gives the sense that there is more to explore if the author wants to. Highlight for me was The day Harold Sanford got cancer, a neat story that reminded me of the film Momento, both with the stories structure and w
Lora Milton
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, anthology
This is a rather good collection of short stories about strange phenomena. There's a Phoenix shifter in the first story, which is something I hadn't seen before. Working out how that would manifest must have been an interesting challenge! This is followed by a soul-stealing wizard and a charming ghost story that addresses childhood bullying.

All of the stories are well-written and each leaves a thoughtful aftertaste, though I think those first three were the best, though the last one had some int
Nicole Normand
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book on Amazon via BargainBooksy; this is my honest review. 3.88 stars. Not bad.
The author has a penchant for ash trees, death, cancer, and occult.
1. Fraxinum *** Weird story about an ash tree from another planet
6. Celebrity **** Superstition story with actors
7. The Day Harold Sanford Got Cancer *** Unfortunate events in on
B
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written collection of short stories. None of the stories are interconnected, although the mention of an ash tree does make an appearance in several stories.

This book was marketed as a horror book and I find that classification off mark. I found the stories to be more fantasy. They were artistic and the description of events and places made you feel as if you were a sideline observer. I found the entire collection to be a very quick read that held my attention the entire way throug
Kez Booth
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are a fan of short stories then this is a book for you. The book took just over an hour to read band I enjoyed all 9 stories in this collection - I honestly cannot pick a favourite and I enjoyed each on for different reasons. Each one was original, imaginative and delightfully creepy. The stories are well written and keep the reader engaged. (Even if you're fairly sure where the story is going - think again) I particularly liked the links between the first and last stories and I can't wai ...more
Eloise Robbertze
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Stranger Things Have Happened by Thomas Gaffney is a collection of short stories so good, they should all be written into novels!

Each story is unique, and beautifully constructed, and although it’s a really scary collection of experiences, these are not horror stories full of blood and gore – rather they are cleverly constructed events from everyday life.

It’s a short novel which can be read in one sitting and believe me, you’ll want to do just that, so make sure you have an hour or so to get th
Mary Cokenour
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. If you happen to be a fan of fantasy/paranormal/sci-fi, then you will love this mixture of short stories. Thomas Gaffney's stories are well written, keep the reader's attention, and even though you think you know how it will end, you just might get a bit of a surprise. In many of the stories, there is a recurring character, an ash tree...a tree, or is it?
Doha Al-Sayed
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was very interesting for me since the very beginning. I was really intrigued by the title because it reminded me of the song from The Hunger Games. Then, I started reading the book and there was not even a single short story I didn't like. All stories are well-crafted, well-written, and amazing. I was so much in love with each story more than the previous till I found out that I am in love with the whole collection. I do really recommend it to all of the friends.
Thriller/Horror/S...: Stranger Things Have Happened 1 3 Nov 28, 2018 06:32PM

• Queen of Swords (A Stone Wielder's Legacy Trilogy, #1)
  • Silver Moon (By the Light of the Moon #3)
  • Her Eyes Underwater: A True-Crime Inspired Romantic Thriller
  • Heirs Apparent
  • The Burden of Darkness (The Marcie Kane Thriller Collection, #5)
  • Becoming Buddha
  • Tough Love at Mystic Bay
  • False Front (Bishop Security #1)
  • The Conductor: Book Two of The Circle
  • The Benevolent Lords of Sometimes Island
  • It Gives You Strength
  • Inferno of Silence
  • Introspections From a Clouded Mind
  • Call Numbers: The Not So Quiet Life Of Librarians (Call Numbers, #1)
  • Auntie, I Don't Want You To Get Married: Danielle The Girl From New York
  • Some Laneys Died (Skipping Sideways #1)
  • The Road to Delano
Thomas Gaffney (he/him) grew up in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He started writing as a kid, making his own comic books and Choose Your Own Adventure® stories for the neighbors. But then he fell in love with all things horror while reading a beat-up copy of Stephen King’s IT that his mother brought home in a grab bag of used books. After surviving twelve years of Catholic school, Gaffney embarked o ...more