Start by marking “Stranger Things Have Happened” as Want to Read:

Stranger Things Have Happened

The award-winning Stranger Things Have Happened is a collection of short stories dealing with the unnatural in a natural world:

• Fraxinus is the story about a group of women facing off against an ancient, and seeming undefeatable enemy.
• FEEEEENIX is the story about a man coming to grips with his late father's legacy and purpose in the world.
• Napkin is the story of a trou
Published September 1st 2017 by Thomas Gaffney

To ask other readers questions about Stranger Things Have Happened, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stranger Things Have Happened

Lisa
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this e-book through a goodreads giveaway, and I'll admit I was happy to get it. This collection was a rarity for me, as there wasn't one story I didn't like. Believe me, I can usually find something to grumble about. My favorite was Feeeeenix. I ended that tale thinking "how do people come up with this?" Good stories all, and definitely one I'd recommend.
Donna
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fantasy
3.5 stars.

I won this book in a Good Reads giveaway, and in exchange I will now give an honest review. :)

Well, that was unexpected! I knew this was an anthology of short stories by the same author, but I was not expecting (view spoiler). I like it! ^-^

I wouldn't say that this collection left me feeling super excited, but it did manage to pique my interest. The writing is competent, even super clever at times (especially in terms of structure), and whil
Kristy
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stranger Things Have Happened was a solid 4 star read for me (I won a copy in a Goodreads giveaway.) I enjoyed every single story in this short collection. I love how the first and last stories tied into one another. All of the stories were original, quirky, and eerie. I look forward to reading more from Thomas Gaffney!
Brittany
A great coffee table book to have out around Fall or Halloween for the spooky feels.🎃🦇🕸🕷

The author Thomas, called upon his inner spirit animal--Stephen King, for inspiration while writing these short stories.

All of these stories could have been expanded upon, as in full-length books and I would have taken the time to read and enjoy every single one of them! I craved for these to be longer. Luckily-- (insider scoop here... )The author's next works are looking like a full-length story and guys,
CorrieGM
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Strange, strange stories indeed. I loved reading them. They made me feel sad sometimes, and sometimes I had to laugh, sadly.
I enjoyed reading the book and it was a pity once it was finished.
Jeffrey Hatcher
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gaffney has a fondness for ashes, and this book has them. Stranger Things is a small but very imaginative collection of short stories suitable for reading to naughty children before you put them to bed. The tales tend to the starkly fatalistic and brief. Gaffney presents mortality from diverse and vivid perspectives. Naughty children notwithstanding, this is a literary work for an adult mind.

My chief criticism is only that some of the stories could be longer. Brevity is essential to some of his
Pete Babore
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Won this in a Goodreads giveaway. I am not normally a fan of short stories, but I really enjoyed this novel. I think Thomas Gaffney is a very imaginative writer and am looking forward to more of his work.
J.L. Slipak
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fabulous! A bit dry at times but I did enjoy this read. I struggled to stay invested in this book mid-way and think it could have been written differently, but this author does have a unique voice and talent. I loved the premise, the ending and most of the bits in between.
Ellen Hamilton
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Deliciously creepy, the stories in this book sent thrills to my fingertips and chills down my spine. I especially loved "Eight Days a Week". Great work!

Thanks to the author who shared his work with me in exchange for an honest review. :)
William Bitner Jr.
By Thomas Gaffney

Genre - Fiction
Subgenre - Single Author Short Stories/Horror/Paranormal/Speculative
Pages - 81
Publication Information - Independently Published - August 30, 2017
Format - Digital
Reviewed by William C. Bitner, Jr. (https://booksinmylibraryblog.wordpres...)
Rating - 📙📙📙📙📙

Stranger Things Have Happened by Thomas Gaffney is a multifarious collection of nine very interesting short stories. This is also Thomas Gaffney’s debut collection. I quite enjoyed each
Suzy Michael
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
*I was given a review copy by the author in exchange for my fair and honest review.*

Thomas Gaffney's debut collection of nine short stories is a refreshing, new read the literary world needs. Unique and creative, Stranger Things Have Happened takes the natural and flips it in a delightfully twisted and unnatural way.

Stories:
1. Fraxinum- about an out of this world ash tree.
2. Feeeeenix- a man coming to terms with the legacy his deceased father left behind.
3. Napkin- a troubled man gets some help
Rebecca Hill
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booktasters, horror
If you are in the mood for some short stories, then you need to check this book out. This book took me a little less than an hour to read, and the stories pretty much held my interest the entire way through. There, of course, are ones that you enjoy more than others, and a few managed to make the hair on my arms crawl a little bit. When it comes to crafting a spooky story, they have to be done in such a way so as not to give away the entirety of the story, and yet leave you wanting more. These s ...more
Divya Mahajan
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stranger Things Have Happened by Thomas Gaffney is a collection of eerie short stories that mange to spook. There are 9 stories and each story has a different element that is scary, spooky or that elicits what just happened moments.
Each story has a twist. I especially loved Feeeeenix , missing and ghost. The stories are never repetitive , each has fresh new angle and simple to read but as the title suggests "Stranger Things Have Happened".
I am big fan of short stories or flash fiction and not a
Kez Booth
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are a fan of short stories then this is a book for you. The book took just over an hour to read band I enjoyed all 9 stories in this collection - I honestly cannot pick a favourite and I enjoyed each on for different reasons. Each one was original, imaginative and delightfully creepy. The stories are well written and keep the reader engaged. (Even if you're fairly sure where the story is going - think again) I particularly liked the links between the first and last stories and I can't wai ...more
B
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written collection of short stories. None of the stories are interconnected, although the mention of an ash tree does make an appearance in several stories.

This book was marketed as a horror book and I find that classification off mark. I found the stories to be more fantasy. They were artistic and the description of events and places made you feel as if you were a sideline observer. I found the entire collection to be a very quick read that held my attention the entire way throug
Nicole Normand
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book on Amazon via BargainBooksy; this is my honest review. 3.88 stars. Not bad.
The author has a penchant for ash trees, death, cancer, and occult.
1. Fraxinum *** Weird story about an ash tree from another planet
6. Celebrity **** Superstition story with actors
7. The Day Harold Sanford Got Cancer *** Unfortunate events in on
Doha Al-Sayed
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was very interesting for me since the very beginning. I was really intrigued by the title because it reminded me of the song from The Hunger Games. Then, I started reading the book and there was not even a single short story I didn't like. All stories are well-crafted, well-written, and amazing. I was so much in love with each story more than the previous till I found out that I am in love with the whole collection. I do really recommend it to all of the friends.
Mary Cokenour
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. If you happen to be a fan of fantasy/paranormal/sci-fi, then you will love this mixture of short stories. Thomas Gaffney's stories are well written, keep the reader's attention, and even though you think you know how it will end, you just might get a bit of a surprise. In many of the stories, there is a recurring character, an ash tree...a tree, or is it?
Yvonne Egwuogu
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I was given this book in exchange of an honest review, and here it is. Stranger things have happened is a book of short stories. The stories are what they are — short, so it's a quick read. I like the first story and a few others, but it wasn't easy to finish the book, it lacked something in some stories around the middle, and frankly fell flat in them.

It reminds me of a Neil Gaiman book, and I honestly think the author has something good going on here. It just needs a little...something.
Anne (w/ an E)
I won an ecopy of this in a Goodreads Giveaway.
As with all anthologies, some stories were better than others.
Judith A Maugeri
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marsha Welsh
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great collection of short stories! Like all stories not one bad one but would say more on fantasy than horror!
Karen Knight
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great selection of short stories. Some made you think. Unlike with some short stories they were complete little stories rather than stories cut short if you understand what I mean.
Gene Betts
Sep 18, 2018 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thomas Betts
Recommended to Gene Betts by: No one
This was a fun book to read. The stories were interesting and not so scary that they would give you nightmares.
Jessica
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am going to be honest; I didn’t know what I was getting into when I read that first short story title! I went in blind reading this book and I got to tell you they are all wonderful! They are all quirky and eerie in their own way. By the way, the author contacted me to read his book! I added his book to read and messaged me if I wanted to read his book and he would send me a copy!

What?! I know!

I was uneasy about it but said heck with it! So...he send me a copy and even signed it for me!!!!!
Rennlia
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Creepy supernatural story, ghost, mystical creature, and some bad-luck events happened in life, each written nicely in a form of short stories in the book.

Each of them are interesting, lovely but also creepy. My fave are Feeeeenix, Napkin and Eight Days A Week.

I love Feeeeenix, for the strange lovely feeling towards family in the story. Napkins, for the short and twisted event in the end-I think it's too short that I want more, feels like it's a fiction prompt instead :) Then Eight Days A Week,
Katty Santos
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this book though LibraryThing Member Giveaways in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a collection of 9 short stories that made me wish that some were longer. Thomas Gaffney did an excellent job in every single one of the stories but my favorite ones were FEEEEENIX and Ghost. Even though some of the endings were predictable, such as the short story I last mention, there were others that took me by surprise and had some plot twists.
Definitely something I will re-read and r
Tina Derby
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. The stories were engaging but left me wanting to know more.
Erika
Jan 28, 2018
Becky
Nov 22, 2017
Thriller/Horror/S...: Stranger Things Have Happened 1 3 Nov 28, 2018 06:32PM
Thomas Gaffney was born and raised in Philadelphia, PA. He survived 12 years of Catholic school before embarking on several careers: computer programmer, barista, and account manager. Much like Henry Bemis in the Twilight Zone episode 'Time Enough at Last', Tom considers himself a bookish little man whose passion is the printed page. He fell in love with books and the idea of writing while reading ...more