Start by marking “Crown Heights (Kindle Single)” as Want to Read:
Crown Heights (Kindle Single)

Crown Heights (Kindle Single)

The true story behind the major motion picture from Amazon Studios.

Childhood friends from Trinidad, Colin Warner and Carl King grew into men on opposite sides of prison bars after Colin was arrested for murder in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. With no evidence against him, Colin was wrongfully convicted and wrongfully imprisoned for more than two decades. But time and walls co

Published November 28th 2017 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about Crown Heights, please sign up.
Holly Lorincz Hi Sharon,

Hi Sharon,

I'm sorry I didn't see your message sooner! I'd be happy to talk to you about your friend's project. If you'd like, you can send me a message through the in-box and we can exchange contact information.

Regardless, I'm truly sorry for what your friend is going through, all that he has had to endure.
--H(less)
Holly Lorincz Hi Elizabeth,
Hi Elizabeth,
Thank you for your question, and for reading Colin and Carl's story. Amazon first bought the rights to the movie, and then asked me (a collaborative writer) to help write their story in book format. The publisher wanted to keep it short, in order to use the book to help launch the Kindle Singles imprint, and hopefully reach the widest audience possible. Colin and Carl, with their important, heart-wrenching example of social injustice and tale of the ultimate friendship, deserve to be heard. So, again, thank you. (less)

Tulay
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Must read.

Well written true story of innocent eighteen years old boy. Came from Jamaica just two years ago, getting used to living in America, believing that police and courts will prove innocence. He was Rastafarian, his friend since elementary school, fought for him outside for.
♥ Sandi ❣
4 stars

This was a compact little story about the lives of two men - from their venture to the United States from Trinidad while in their teens, to finally standing side by side as grown men. The interruption in their lives, detailed in this story, was when Colin was wrongly accused of a murder. He was not only accused, but unjustly convicted.

This was a crime witnessed by a large number of people and police received a confession from the murderer stating that Colin was not involved. But Colin st
Ashley
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, audio
I had never heard of this book or the story behind it. I was browsing Audible last night and saw this book. What piqued my interest was that one of the narrators is Lakeith Stanfield who I love, love, love! Then I saw it was only 2 hours and 28 minutes AND it was only $0.99 ... Sold!

Colin Warner was sent to prison for a crime he did not commit in a disgusting miscarriage of justice. But his best friend, Carl King, worked tirelessly for years to prove Colin's innocence, sacrificing his family an
david
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Amazon Prime allows its’ members to surrey down to ‘Prime Reading.’ Any book you choose in this category is free to read. Some of these stories, I have since learned, are now coined as “singles” by their online marketing team.

So, I tried it out.

The result was this very short but true story (1-2 hours to read) of two young black boys from the lovely island of Trinidad. They grew up together as best friends and then lost sight of each other for a few years. The parents of both the young men, when
Raghu
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The US is 63.7% non-Hispanic white, 12.2% black, 8.7% Hispanic white and 0.4% Hispanic black, according to the most recent census. Analysis of race within state prisons and comparing those findings to the US census, it has been found that black Americans are incarcerated in state prisons at an average rate of 5.1 times that of white Americans. In some states that rate is 10 times or more. It is believed that some 120000 prisoners in the system are actually innocent of the crime for which they ar ...more
Lgb2163
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Wow! if each of us has at least 1 friend like Carl in our lives, we are truly blessed! This true friendship that crosses over into family status! The injustice that befell Colin was past the point of ridiculous, but the love of that one true friend that just wouldn't give up, truly made a difference.

And to think, through all the injustice, Colin nor Carl are bitter, but better because of it! Wow!!!
Bonnye Reed
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
GA Crown Heights is a true story told by the victim of a judicial injustice and his childhood friend Carl King, who invested 21 years and a lot of heart in finding the path to freedom for Colin. This is an interesting and quick read, and a story to take to heart, whether you are on the side of the prosecution or the defense of the situation. It is so easy to let the groundswell of public opinion carry one past the point of recovery. We can but hope there are many Carl Kings out there, many Colin ...more
Daniel Morrissey
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Literally read this book in one sitting. Great story about an innocent kid who went to jail for a crime he never committed. The police officer is the one who belongs in jail for what he did here. Justice was finally served.
Elliot
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
The writing was choppy and the story was rushed (I know it was just a movie, but I still would've liked to see things expanded and fleshed out); however, I think this is a great way to introduce someone to instituional racism, so I'll keep this in mind for recommendations.
Domonique
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A powerful story.

This was a true story that anyone should read about two friends, one wrongly convicted and the other trying to get him out, as well as to show you corrupt annd injustice our prusoon system is. Even with all of the facts staring them in the face, they still sent an innocent man to jail. The fact that Colin was able to let go and be at peace once he was freed is a testament to how prison changed him and made him a better man.
Russell j. VanAllen
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a disturbing story of a tragedy caused by an unjust and embattled justice system in this country. The events depicted here made me wish I could take some action but alas I would not know where to begin. I have not viewed the film yet but I hope it sticks to the true events. I say this short and page turning book should be read by all.
Jeff Hennore
Dec 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not a Fan

I'll be honest and say that I only read 2 chapters, but that was all I could take. As an African-American man, I was excited about reading this book, but I found that it was a boring read and a lot of pointing fingers so I couldn't really get into it. I wouldn't recommend it, but to each their own.
Jessica
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Grim and Gripping!

This is a compelling story of a travesty of justice, not in the third world, but in the "good old boy police state" of the United States of America! From the incompetency of the police detectives, the rush to judgement of the district attorney's office, the shameful lack of defense by the "public pretenders" who work for the DA's office (not for the accused), the woeful lack of evidence, the lying witnesses, the vindictiveness of the juries, and the lily livered judge who had d
Gwen - Chew & Digest Books -
Injustice. I don't think there is any other word that can raise my hackles unless you add "Racial" before it and make it more of a phrase.

"In 1980, there were 300,000 state prison inmates. In 1990, there were almost 700,000. Federal prisons held just under 200,000 people in 1980, and that number jumped to 400,00 in 1990, according to the department of justice."

While this is just one important story, the injustice of Colin Warner, it is far from the only one and the horribleness continues to thi
Glady
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Crown Heights reveals a place no one wishes to live - prison for an innocent man. Colin is a young Rasta immigrant living in Brooklyn. Language barriers, trust in the "system" and lack of resources combine where Colin and family and friends cannot beat the system. Charged with murder based on a youthful supposed eyewitness, Colin journeys through our justice machine. Sentenced to 15 years to life he refuses to give in to the horrors of prison.

Meanwhile on the outside, Colin's best friend, Carl,
Carrie Tahlor
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Must Read!

I cannot underscore enough the importance of reading this book. It's easy enough for us to live in our own comfortable bubbles, hear stories of injustice, and either shake our heads in disappointment, or look the other way. Collin's story reminds us of why we can't afford to do that. Our legal system is not only imperfect, but sometimes, it's downright broken, and innocent people pay the price.

The gross injustices that this man was faced with are infuriating and mind boggling. That t
Amy
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was looking for something from my kindle unlimited subscription and ran across this and it looked interesting. This is a fast read. It's hard to think of an innocent man spending 21 years behind bars. I am humbled by the man Collin is and how he was able to not let that destroy him. I am in awe of his friend Carl who never gave up and sacrificed so much. I think this is a powerful and worthwhile read that has some great messages and life lessons.
NOTE: This is not graphic which someone may wor
Roy
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Boring. I’m not sure what the hype is all about here. The guy is wrongfully convicted and his friend works to free him. I liked the overall message, and it was a quick read but I wasn’t feeling this one.

I also found it odd that in between chapters they’d throw in random news clips that had nothing to do with his case or story about how some random white person had beat or killed a black person. One news article snippet they included was about four black men who attempted to mug a white man on t
Chris Andsteve
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hopeful Book

The story of Collin’s arrest is in every newspaper we read and newsroom reports we watch daily and really don’t often pay much attention as to where the story goes after its one moment in the light. Crown Heights provides hope that what happened in the end to Collin with Carl’s help will happen repeatedly over and over again. But clearly we know this is not so at the present time. There are other books like this (most recent in my reading is Just Mercy) that point out with great emph
Robert
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
An excellent true (non)crime narrative of justice denied, friendship triumphant, and a life saved. Twenty-one years of prison for a murder never committed, this story of two young Trinidadians is told briefly (slightly over two hours in the audio version), but compellingly in alternating chapters by Colin and Carl whose lives became entwined on their elementary school playground on the island, rekindled in high school in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn, and endure through the horrors of on ...more
Emquegee
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A true story of friendship!

I was brought to this story by way of a movie on Amazon also titled "Crown Heights". It is the true story of a young man wrongfully accused, convicted and imprisoned for 21 years for a murder he didn't commit. And his friend's unrelenting quest for justice for Colin. The movie was excellent and so was the book. It was heartbreaking, heartwarming, sad, happy & triumphant. But it was also unfortunate because things like this still happen more often than not. Carl was
Kathy Peake
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A sad real life tragic story

Amazing how someone can get swept up in circumstances and land in prison for 21 years and not be guilty of anything.
Told with honesty and without vengeance. Still disturbs me that our justice system fails so many. I am glad I read this story and I learn so much. I was so pleased to see that Colin didn't turn into the monster he was accused to be but it was a fine line. He truly was blessed to have a friend who advocated for him for so long and justice was still found
Adam
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's hard sometimes to not be depressed when reading stories like this. There is a happy ending, but that is bittersweet, as this man was locked away for 2 decades and if it wasn't for the sacrifices of his friend he never would have been released.

To many people it does seem like it is worth it to them to lock up a few innocent people if it means getting criminals as well, but I can't imagine ever being able to look somebody like Colin in the eye and telling them that.

I enjoyed the conversatio
svnz
A short but very powerful true story. It is shocking how the justice system can fail us this badly and to think there are several thousands of people wrongly incarcerated who never get the help they need is just heart wrenching.

The only thing I'd say could have been better about this edition would have been the narrator for Colin, who I found to be a bit dry and flat at the start. It did improve though and since I'm not rating it for the performance but the story, it's worth every star for me.
Chandana
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short but powerful read about a man who was wrongfully convicted. While this story takes place in the early 80s through his twenty-one year incarceration, it shows how much is wrong with our criminal justice system and how desperately criminal justice reform is needed. The story goes back and forth between the wrongfully convicted man and his best friend who fought hard and gave up a lot in his own life just to clear his friend’s name. The writing is a bit choppy at times, but it is their real ...more
Chuck Williams
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Speechlessly Amazing

I am speechless to how well this book was written and how it made me feel throughout. Since finishing the book I’ve been recommending it to everyone around me. Sometimes in life you need reminders to remember to LIVE because not everyone has that option (whether the lose of this option was a consequence of their actions or not). This was my reminder to wake up and live for life and not live to pay bills or conform to make others happy.
Kanishka Gobalakichenin
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am not an emotional person generally but I was overflowing with tears throughout the read. Finished in 3 hrs. I can't imagine how monstrous and cruel the life for Colin must have been. And luckily he had a friend in need who was a friend indeed, who didn't stop to try to get Colin out even after his marriage had failed.

If you have found one friend who will go to great lengths for you well-being, then you are luckier than the majority of the world's population.
Angie
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A quick , but not easy read....

It is terrible the effect a lie can have on someone's life . Even more terrible when it's the life of an 18 year old .

I love that this story was told by those that managed to live through such a terrible time . I love that Colin stayed true to himself and the good that eventually came to him . Most of all , bless Carl for being the most wonderful friend a person could ever have !
Sagar Patel
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simple, devastating reading. I cannot imagine losing two decades of my life and walking out forgiving those who unjustly and cruelly pursued injustice in the name of justice. Colin and Carl's story is one that is repeated every day across this country—except with the same warm ending. Colin's brief turn toward misbehavior while locked up evokes sympathy, and his humbling attitude as he finds a way to grow and better himself is admirable.

I wish it were a longer story. But this is his truth, and
Katie Byrne
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Powerful

Powerful Emotional Inspirational
The injustice that happens daily all over the world continues.
How do people sleep at night knowing that they have ruined lives by sending innocent people to prison in full knowledge that they are innocent ?
A story of friendship and how you cannot be defeated if you refuse to be defeated.
A brilliant read I couldn't recommend it highly enough
  • Death Sentence: The True Story of Velma Barfield's Life, Crimes, and Punishment
  • Between Good and Evil: A Master Profiler's Hunt for Society's Most Violent Predators
  • The Story: A Reporter's Journey
  • In with the Devil: A Fallen Hero, a Serial Killer, and a Dangerous Bargain for Redemption
  • A Writer's House in Wales
  • Busted: A Tale of Corruption and Betrayal in the City of Brotherly Love
  • Too Good to Be True: The Rise and Fall of Bernie Madoff
  • One Breath Away: The Hiccup Girl - From Media Darling to Convicted Killer
  • Double Header: My Life with Two Penises
  • In the Absence of Sun: A Korean American Woman's Promise to Reunite Three Lost Generations of Her Family
  • Accused: My Fight for Truth, Justice, and the Strength to Forgive
  • A Checklist for Murder
  • The Silver Touch
  • Smoke: How a Small-Town Girl Accidentally Wound Up Smuggling 7,000 Pounds of Marijuana with the Pot Princess of Beverly Hills
“When you realize that nobody’s comin’ for you, it wakes you up. The world may have stopped existing for me, but it’s still going on for everyone else—and I can feel the time slipping away now.” 1 likes
“The more I give, the more I live. I get so much appreciation, I can’t keep it to myself,” and all evidence points to the truth in that statement.” 1 likes