Start by marking “The Family Next Door” as Want to Read:
The Family Next Door

The Family Next Door

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  14,265 ratings  ·  1,495 reviews

A gripping domestic page-turner full of shocking reveals, perfect for fans of Liane Moriarty, Amanda Prowse and Kerry Fisher.

The small suburb of Pleasant Court lives up to its name. It's the kind of place where everyone knows their neighbours, and children play in the street.

Isabelle Heatherington doesn't fit into this picture of family paradise. Husbandless and childle

Published March 13th 2018 by St. Martin's Press (first published March 6th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Family Next Door, please sign up.
Carol I just finished the book and I don't believe Nigel's occupation was ever mentioned. I pictured him as an accountant type. I don't think Isabelle's…moreI just finished the book and I don't believe Nigel's occupation was ever mentioned. I pictured him as an accountant type. I don't think Isabelle's "real" occupation in Sydney was ever mentioned either.(less)
Rachel I got through it in two days and I'm not a speed reader. It moved quickly and didn't drag out the action.

I do have to say it felt more like a…more

I do have to say it felt more like a contemporary fiction or family drama than a thriller or mystery. There was one central mystery which surprised me and kept me guessing through out the book but there was much more to the story than the mystery.(less)

·  14,265 ratings  ·  1,495 reviews

Deanna
My reviews can also be found at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

This is my second read from Sally Hepworth. I wondered if I could possibly enjoy this novel as much as I enjoyed her previous novel, “The Mother’s Promise”. Well I did, I absolutely loved this novel.

“Do you ever really know your neighbours?”

The suburb of Pleasant Court really lives up to its name. It’s a perfectly pleasant place with perfectly pleasant people. An ideal place to raise children.

Essie Walker had quite a hard
Susanne  Strong
5 stars.

How well do you know the people closest to you? Are they who you think they are? Is anyone?

These are the questions at the heart of Sally Hepworth’s new novel “The Family Next Door.”
It is a phenomenal novel that delves into the minds of several families and specifically five complicated women. Some are mothers and daughters; others friends or neighbors. The only thing I can tell you is that nothing is as it seems. Essie and her mother Barbara, as well as Ange, Fran and Isabelle live in
Julie
The Family Next Door by Sally Hepworth is a 2018 St. Martin’s Press publication.

The secrets of suburbia are always deliciously scandalous…. And sometimes they are downright criminal.

The perfect neighborhood, perfectly manicured lawns, perfect families. It all looks so picturesque from the outside, but when new neighbor, Isabelle, moves into the neighborhood of Pleasant Court, cracks suddenly begin to appear in that perfect veneer.

Elle, Fran, and Ange, are very curious about Isabelle, wonderin
Berit☀️✨
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, 2018
5 Big, brilliant, beautiful stars!🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Sally Hepworth
, sure can write a book! The question is why have I not read anything from this author before? This book checked off all my musts for a fabulous book.... wonderful characters... fabulous relationships... perfect pacing... some fun twists and turns....

This book focused on the relationship between five very well developed and relatable females... their relationships with their significant others... their relationships with their children... the
Kaceey
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5*
Do you ever secretly gaze at your neighbor and think, “wow, they have it all.” A beautiful home, a loving marriage, happy, healthy kids and a cute designer dog. Don’t you ever wish you could just have a fraction of that serene, picturesque life?
Well before you wish too hard...maybe just take a peek behind the scenes. As often happens, maybe their lives aren’t so perfect after all. And maybe, you in fact are the lucky one at the end of the day.

When a beautiful single woman moves into the nei
Elyse Walters
This story centers around a neighborhood- “Pleasant Court” - of primarily married couples with children. It’s a family friendly community.

Ange & Lucas - Essi & Ben - and Fran & Nigel each have two kids.
Barbara is a single woman who lives next door to Essi — Barbara is Essi’s mother...and a hand’s on grandmother.
The only single women mentioned in this community (or of significant interest) is newcomer, Isabelle. She lives next door to Essi ( we assume the opposite side from her mot
Larry H
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm between 3.5 and 4 stars, rounding up for a good twist.

"The truth was, despite appearances, she didn't know much about her neighbors at all."

I've been reading a lot of books over the last few years about tight-knit neighborhoods in which secrets are brewing below the surface—Liane Moriarty's Big Little Lies , Marybeth Mayhew Whalen's When We Were Worthy , Jessica Strawser's Not That I Could Tell , and now, Sally Hepworth's newest book, The Family Next Door , just to name a few.

Reading the
Crumb
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Domestic Noir where nothing is as it seems..

This book has been on my radar for some time and I'm not sure why it took me so long to read it. I adore Sally Hepworth. However, I have to say, this one was a bit of a disappointment. It wasn't like The Mother's Promise which kept me turning pages so fast, my eyes couldn't keep up.

This story opens with a sleepy sort of suburb, called "Pleasant Drive." Such an ideal name, lying a foundation for what lies ahead. All the residents residing there ha
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 entertaining, dramatic, neighborly stars to The Family Next Door!🏠 ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

I’ve learned I can rely on Sally Hepworth for a well-written, entertainingly indulgent read. Some of my friends have mentioned that The Family Next Door has a Desperate Housewives feel, and it most definitely does. That angle makes it a little dramatic at times, and some of the things that happened were a bit of a stretch; however, there is an emotionality to Hepworth’s writing that I find exceptionally endearing. You h
Diane S ☔
Welcome to Wisteria Lane, or maybe Knots Landing, for those who remember that show, and of course Desperate Housewives. This book contains elements of all those shows. Good looking characters, drama, post partum depression, adultery, affairs, a missing child, and of course secrets. Where would fiction be without secrets. A rare book where except for one, I felt sorry for and liked the men more than the women.

A entertaining read, I have to admit, did want to find out how everyone's relationships
Sally Hepworth
Jul 31, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Dear Reader,

As someone with an unhealthy interest in other people’s lives, I’ve long held the belief that the most normal-looking among us are the ones with the most to hide. Who hasn’t watched the news and seen the neighbours of a serial killer talking about how he was a quiet, friendly who always mowed his lawn and took his bins out on time?

I wrote this book while I was pregnant, and edited it with a newborn at my side, so naturally, being relatively house bound, I spent a lot of time wonderi
Linda
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A true spider's web......

And there are plenty of buzzing flies caught up in sticky situations that finally encase them. The more that they struggle, the tighter the grip.

Pleasant Court may not be so pleasant after all. Houses in this neighborhood may resemble one another in architectural style, but the occupants differ on so many levels. Smiles produced on long driveways and friendly waves to neighbors diminish once the front doors close. These complicated individuals carry more baggage than the
Norma * Traveling Sister
THE FAMILY NEXT DOOR by SALLY HEPWORTH was an extremely enjoyable, entertaining, and fast read! It's a fascinating, thought-provoking, and dramatic tale with some unexpected twists and surprises along the way. I was definitely shocked and pretty excited with a couple of the reveals! The ending was satisfying and pleasant! Would recommend!

This was a Traveling Sisters Group Read, and thank you so much for another wonderful reading experience ladies!

Publication Date: March 6th, 2018

Our full Travel
Holly  B
Why in the world did this beautiful single woman move into our family oriented cul-de-sac?

This is the question everyone on the street is asking and wondering about because she has no children. There are quite a few characters/families to keep up with, but it doesn’t take long to sort them out because they each have have a unique story. I enjoyed the multiple POV’s from the ladies themselves. It was like getting to peek behind their doors and see behind the facade.

I liked the way this mystery unf
Carrie
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
My oh my. Have you ever noticed when people post on social media they are grabbing their popcorn to watch the drama? That is exactly what The Family Next Door made me want, a nice big bowl of popcorn while I sat back and read the drama that oozed from the residents of Pleasant Court.

The story starts off with a flash of Essie’s life as she suffers a breakdown as a new mother. The lack of sleep dealing with a restless baby finally made her snap and she wandered off leaving her baby at the local pa
Nazanin
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fiction, mystery
3.5 Stars

It was a good read and it got me by surprise but still I had something else in mind. This story is about some neighbors who are living together in peace and doesn’t know what’s going on in each other's homes but when a new neighbor moved in, their secrets begin to spread. Well, I liked it more if somehow their life/secrets were more intertwined with each other! Told in multiple POV, 3rd person. It’s a standalone novel. It’s well-paced and the short chapters were in my favor. Overall, de
Debra
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Pleasant Court in Melbourne Australia seems like a pleasant place to live...or is it.? This is another book that asks the question "Just how well do you know someone?" You live with a person, share their bed, share meals with them, raise children with them, you know them right??? Well, do you?

Ahhhhhh, small towns. Lovely scenic places. They are supposed to be safe. Nothing bad ever happens there. How can it? Bad things don't happen when things are so pleasant do they? What a joy to live in a com
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Norma and I were lost in the sunny, cultivated rich lush coulee with five of our Traveling Sisters reading The Family Next Door and we all ended up in the same Coulee enjoying this thought-provoking and engaging story that led to an interesting and fun discussion amongst us.

The Family Next Door is an entertaining, emotional, compelling, and suspenseful domestic thriller that explores the secrets, deceits, and lies of five women who live in a small seemly perfect suburban neighborhood.

Sally Hep
Marialyce
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Ever been curious about that goes on in your neighbors' homes? Ever thought about what secrets your neighbors try to hide as they close their door and window shades at night? Surely, most of us have and that is the premise of this novel by Sally Hepworth.

The people of Pleasant Court have secrets and as we delve into the novel, we learn more and more about what is driving them. Some secrets are those of infidelity, some of a lost child, and some are of the illusions we sometimes see in marriages
JanB
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book has a fun vibe reminiscent of the TV show, Desperate Housewives. There are plenty of secrets behind the closed doors in this Pleasant Court neighborhood, and there are enough twists and surprises along the way that kept me flipping the pages.

Altogether, this was a fun, entertaining read that was a refreshing change from some heavier reads.  It was a nice easy read with a little mystery and conflict that kept me reading and wanting to know how it would all turn out. For a contemporary
Amy
The Family Next Door is garnering comparisons to Big Little Lies and normally when a publisher compares a new book to an older blockbuster I’m annoyed when it doesn’t live up to the comparison. Well, this time the similarities are well founded, this most definitely will appeal to fans of BLL and I predict it will be a smash hit.

This follows five woman who live in the same neighborhood, Essie, Fran, Ange, Barbara and Isabelle so if multiple perspectives are your thing, you’ll be happy with the st
Karen
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book about several families who lived on one street in Melbourne, Australia. The story was mostly centered around the women of the families, how they were dealing with their own situations. It had a few twists and was a fast paced read.
Esil
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3+ stars

Very readable but likely not particularly memorable.

The Family Next Door focuses on three neighbours on a suburban street in Melbourne, Australia. Each woman is in the relatively early years of parenting, each is struggling with being a mother and wife, and each one has a secret. One day, Isabelle moves in next door and slowly the the facades are unraveled. It’s not quite a domestic thriller, but it certainly has twists and turns and the odd bit of suspense.

It was an easy read and it ke
Phrynne
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
Debating between three and four stars here. I found it a quick, easy read and I certainly had to read to the end to find out what was going to happen. However I felt a bit overwhelmed by so much angst, and on several occasions was totally exasperated by silly women doing silly things. (Although Essie at least could blame a medical condition for the messes she got into.)

The twist involving Essie and her mother was interesting, the ending was satisfying so I guess I am concluding that it was an o
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
The Family Next Door, has been one of my anticipated reads of 2018, which is written by an author who sits firmly on my favourites list. Sally Hepworth’s latest novel blows apart a seemingly perfect little neighbourhood based in suburbs of Melbourne, exposing a set of families marred by secrets, lies and betrayals. It is a very contemporary look at how our lives may appear to look pleasant on the surface but behind this pristine front often we are b
LaDonna

The Family Next Door A Novel by Sally Hepworth

Look in the mirror...

Who do you see?...

Look in the mirror...

Who do you want others to see?

Sally Hepworth was an unknown author to me, until winning this book giveaway. However, she is an author whom I shall not forget. What a story!! Hands down, this is one of my favorite reads for this year. Hepworth's latest is definitely worthy of 4.75 stars!!

The Family Next Door: A Novel speaks to characters that many of us can easily recognize and, more likely, relate to. I feel comfortable in saying
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“Things were better from a distance. When you watched too closely, you saw things you didn’t want to see.”

Boy do I!

Meet the ladies of Pleasant Court. You have old pro Ange whose children have reached an age where they do things like watch other people play video games on the You Tube . . .

(Seriously, WTF? My kid does this like it’s his full-time job.)

Fran, who takes overprotective mother to a whole new level – especially when it c
Shannon
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading The Family Next Door by Sally Hepworth last night and finished it today. It was a quick and easy read for me. The story is told in multiple POVs, which is always a win!

So what’s it about? The story centers around four neighbors of Pleasant Court in Melbourne. Essie, Fran and Ange have all lived on the cul de sac for quite some time, growing their families. The three of them have been neighborly enough but never really crossing the line of having real friendships. A new neighbor
Michelle
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-w-mars
"Things were far better watched from a distance. When you watched too closely, you saw things you didn’t want to see."

This was entertaining! Pleasant Court is a beautiful neighborhood where absolutely everyone has secrets and discovering those secrets is what makes this book so much fun. It definitely had the Big Little Lies vibes and it was a refreshing change of pace from the lunatics and psychopaths I normally read about. Unlike Big Little Lies I didn't really relate to any of these women or
Sarah Joint
If you're a fan of soap operas, this book is for you. It called to mind Desperate Housewives, even though I haven't seen very much of it. It's full of juicy drama, surprising twists, and lots and lots of secrets. It was just a bit too much to earn four stars from me, but several of the other ladies I read it with gave it four or five stars. I did enjoy the read, just felt a few things that ended up leading nowhere, only added to up the drama, should have been cut out.

Lovely Isabelle sticks out
BLBC: Oct 2018 - The Family Next Door 25 11 Dec 02, 2018 02:45PM
Oct 2018 - The Family Next Door 2 11 Nov 25, 2018 04:17PM
Play Book Tag: The Family Next Door 1 16 Sep 15, 2018 05:57AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 3 17 Jul 09, 2018 06:08PM
Nothing But Readi...: Hepworth, Sally- The Family Next Door; Relaxed Buddy Read starts March 24, 2018 101 65 May 24, 2018 02:57AM

• The Art of Friendship
  • A Month of Sundays
  • The Secret Vineyard
  • Lost Without You
  • Greenlight
  • Meant To Be (The Button Jar, #3)
  • Birthright
  • The Three Miss Allens
  • The Way Back
  • Daintree (The Porter Sisters #2)
  • Tallowood Bound
  • Matilda Is Missing
  • That Last Weekend: A Novel of Suspense
  • Ronan's Echo
  • Minerva Day
  • Rocking Horse Hill
  • Just Between Us
  • Fishing for Tigers
Sally Hepworth is the bestselling author of five novels, most recently The Mother In Law (2019). Sally's books have been labelled “enchanting” by The Herald Sun, “smart and engaging” by Publisher’s Weekly, and New York Times bestselling authors Liane Moriarty and Emily Giffin have praised Sally’s novels as “women’s fiction at its finest” and “totally absorbing”.

Sally's novels are available worldwi
“The less perfect things were, she was finding, the more likely they were to be real.” 2 likes
“One thing you didn’t realize until you were a grandparent was that little children were a tiny glimpse of magic in a dreadfully difficult world”.” 1 likes