Start by marking “The Family Next Door” as Want to Read:
The Family Next Door

The Family Next Door

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  45,510 ratings  ·  3,728 reviews

A gripping domestic page-turner full of shocking reveals, perfect for fans of Liane Moriarty, Amanda Prowse and Kerry Fisher.

The small suburb of Pleasant Court lives up to its name. It's the kind of place where everyone knows their neighbours, and children play in the street.

Isabelle Heatherington doesn't fit into this picture of family paradise. Husbandless and chi

Published March 13th 2018 by St. Martin's Press (first published March 6th 2018)
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about The Family Next Door, please sign up.
Fiona H It's a fast-paced enjoyable read as every character has their own dramas and secrets but it won't tax you too much. There are a couple of unfortunate …moreIt's a fast-paced enjoyable read as every character has their own dramas and secrets but it won't tax you too much. There are a couple of unfortunate things in the book - Sally Hepworth is another Australian writer who feels she needs to scatter Americanisms, such as "ground beef" (mince) and "stomach flu" (gastroenteritis or gastro) to name just two. Who still refers to a child born out of wedlock as an illegitimate child, which Hepworth did repeatedly? And surely people don't get all in a tizz that someone might be gay because they referred to their "partner". However, these are fairly minor grumbles as the story and the characters are engaging and the women form real bonds and some mental health issues are treated sympathetically. And it was nice to see all the men as pretty good dads (I particularly loved Nigel).(less)
Carol I just finished the book and I don't believe Nigel's occupation was ever mentioned. I pictured him as an accountant type. I don't think Isabelle's "re…moreI just finished the book and I don't believe Nigel's occupation was ever mentioned. I pictured him as an accountant type. I don't think Isabelle's "real" occupation in Sydney was ever mentioned either.(less)

·  45,510 ratings  ·  3,728 reviews

Start your review of The Family Next Door
Deanna
My reviews can also be found at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

This is my second read from Sally Hepworth. I wondered if I could possibly enjoy this novel as much as I enjoyed her previous novel, “The Mother’s Promise”. Well I did, I absolutely loved this novel.

“Do you ever really know your neighbours?”

The suburb of Pleasant Court really lives up to its name. It’s a perfectly pleasant place with perfectly pleasant people. An ideal place to raise children.

Essie Walker had quite a ha
MarilynW
Mar 10, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Family Next Door by Sally Hepworth, Barrie Kreinik (Narrator)

Such a perfect neighborhood, perfect families, perfect lives. Although Essie messed up that look when, during a bout of post partum depression, she left her newborn daughter at the park and went home, three years ago. But the baby was fine and Essie was treated for her PPD and now she's doing great with her second baby. Her husband, Ben, and her mom, Barbara (who now lives next door) watch her like a hawk, though.

Ange is the star w
Susanne
5 stars.

How well do you know the people closest to you? Are they who you think they are? Is anyone?

These are the questions at the heart of Sally Hepworth’s new novel “The Family Next Door.”
It is a phenomenal novel that delves into the minds of several families and specifically five complicated women. Some are mothers and daughters; others friends or neighbors. The only thing I can tell you is that nothing is as it seems. Essie and her mother Barbara, as well as Ange, Fran and Isabelle live in
Julie
The Family Next Door by Sally Hepworth is a 2018 St. Martin’s Press publication.

The secrets of suburbia are always deliciously scandalous…. And sometimes they are downright criminal.

The perfect neighborhood, perfectly manicured lawns, perfect families. It all looks so picturesque from the outside, but when new neighbor, Isabelle, moves into the neighborhood of Pleasant Court, cracks suddenly begin to appear in that perfect veneer.

Elle, Fran, and Ange, are very curious about Isabelle, wonderin
Sally Hepworth
Jul 31, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Dear Reader,

As someone with an unhealthy interest in other people’s lives, I’ve long held the belief that the most normal-looking among us are the ones with the most to hide. Who hasn’t watched the news and seen the neighbours of a serial killer talking about how he was a quiet, friendly who always mowed his lawn and took his bins out on time?

I wrote this book while I was pregnant, and edited it with a newborn at my side, so naturally, being relatively house bound, I spent a lot of time wonderi
Berit Talks Books
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, net-galley
5 Big, brilliant, beautiful stars!🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Sally Hepworth
, sure can write a book! The question is why have I not read anything from this author before? This book checked off all my musts for a fabulous book.... wonderful characters... fabulous relationships... perfect pacing... some fun twists and turns....

This book focused on the relationship between five very well developed and relatable females... their relationships with their significant others... their relationships with their children... the
Elyse Walters
This story centers around a neighborhood- “Pleasant Court” - of primarily married couples with children. It’s a family friendly community.

Ange & Lucas - Essi & Ben - and Fran & Nigel each have two kids.
Barbara is a single woman who lives next door to Essi — Barbara is Essi’s mother...and a hand’s on grandmother.
The only single women mentioned in this community (or of significant interest) is newcomer, Isabelle. She lives next door to Essi ( we assume the opposite side from her mother)

The men
Kaceey
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5*
Do you ever secretly gaze at your neighbor and think, “wow, they have it all.” A beautiful home, a loving marriage, happy, healthy kids and a cute designer dog. Don’t you ever wish you could just have a fraction of that serene, picturesque life?
Well before you wish too hard...maybe just take a peek behind the scenes. As often happens, maybe their lives aren’t so perfect after all. And maybe, you in fact are the lucky one at the end of the day.

When a beautiful single woman moves into the nei
Holly  B
Why in the world did this beautiful single woman move into our family oriented cul-de-sac?

This is the question everyone on the street is asking and wondering about because she has no children. There are quite a few characters/families to keep up with, but it doesn’t take long to sort them out because they each have have a unique story. I enjoyed the multiple POV’s from the ladies themselves. It was like getting to peek behind their doors and see behind the facade.

I liked the way this mystery unf
Diane S ☔
Welcome to Wisteria Lane, or maybe Knots Landing, for those who remember that show, and of course Desperate Housewives. This book contains elements of all those shows. Good looking characters, drama, post partum depression, adultery, affairs, a missing child, and of course secrets. Where would fiction be without secrets. A rare book where except for one, I felt sorry for and liked the men more than the women.

A entertaining read, I have to admit, did want to find out how everyone's relationships
Larry H
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm between 3.5 and 4 stars, rounding up for a good twist.

"The truth was, despite appearances, she didn't know much about her neighbors at all."

I've been reading a lot of books over the last few years about tight-knit neighborhoods in which secrets are brewing below the surface—Liane Moriarty's Big Little Lies , Marybeth Mayhew Whalen's When We Were Worthy , Jessica Strawser's Not That I Could Tell , and now, Sally Hepworth's newest book, The Family Next Door , just to name a few.

Rea
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 entertaining, dramatic, neighborly stars to The Family Next Door!🏠 ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

I’ve learned I can rely on Sally Hepworth for a well-written, entertainingly indulgent read. Some of my friends have mentioned that The Family Next Door has a Desperate Housewives feel, and it most definitely does. That angle makes it a little dramatic at times, and some of the things that happened were a bit of a stretch; however, there is an emotionality to Hepworth’s writing that I find exceptionally endearing. Y
Crumb
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Domestic Noir where nothing is as it seems..

This book has been on my radar for some time and I'm not sure why it took me so long to read it. I adore Sally Hepworth. However, I have to say, this one was a bit of a disappointment. It wasn't like The Mother's Promise which kept me turning pages so fast, my eyes couldn't keep up.

This story opens with a sleepy sort of suburb, called "Pleasant Drive." Such an ideal name, lying a foundation for what lies ahead. All the residents residing
Linda
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A true spider's web......

And there are plenty of buzzing flies caught up in sticky situations that finally encase them. The more that they struggle, the tighter the grip.

Pleasant Court may not be so pleasant after all. Houses in this neighborhood may resemble one another in architectural style, but the occupants differ on so many levels. Smiles produced on long driveways and friendly waves to neighbors diminish once the front doors close. These complicated individuals carry more baggage than the
Norma
THE FAMILY NEXT DOOR by SALLY HEPWORTH was an extremely enjoyable, entertaining, and fast read! It's a fascinating, thought-provoking, and dramatic tale with some unexpected twists and surprises along the way. I was definitely shocked and pretty excited with a couple of the reveals! The ending was satisfying and pleasant! Would recommend!

This was a Traveling Sisters Group Read, and thank you so much for another wonderful reading experience ladies!

Publication Date: March 6th, 2018

Our full Travel
Michael David (on hiatus)
Pleasant Court sounds...wait for it...pleasant! If anything sounds too good to be true, that’s because it probably is.

Essie, Fran, and Ange are three of the residents who live on the same street in Pleasant Court, a suburban town in Melbourne, Australia. They each have husbands and children...like most of the people on the block. The one standout is newcomer Isabelle, who recently moved onto the block. She doesn’t have a husband or a child. So what brings her to Pleasant Court?

Even though the la
Debra
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Pleasant Court in Melbourne Australia seems like a pleasant place to live...or is it.? This is another book that asks the question "Just how well do you know someone?" You live with a person, share their bed, share meals with them, raise children with them, you know them right??? Well, do you?

Ahhhhhh, small towns. Lovely scenic places. They are supposed to be safe. Nothing bad ever happens there. How can it? Bad things don't happen when things are so pleasant do they? What a joy to live in a com
James
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-fiction
The Family Next Door is the fourth book I've read by author Sally Hepworth. After devouring the first one a couple of years ago, I decided to read all her past books this year so I could be caught up on future releases. I really enjoyed this one, which took only two days to read as I kept getting pulled back in to spend more time reading it before bed each night. I highly recommend the author and think her writing style jives superbly well with my reading style.

The story takes place in Melbourne
Carrie
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
My oh my. Have you ever noticed when people post on social media they are grabbing their popcorn to watch the drama? That is exactly what The Family Next Door made me want, a nice big bowl of popcorn while I sat back and read the drama that oozed from the residents of Pleasant Court.

The story starts off with a flash of Essie’s life as she suffers a breakdown as a new mother. The lack of sleep dealing with a restless baby finally made her snap and she wandered off leaving her baby at the local pa
Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Norma and I were lost in the sunny, cultivated rich lush coulee with five of our Traveling Sisters reading The Family Next Door and we all ended up in the same Coulee enjoying this thought-provoking and engaging story that led to an interesting and fun discussion amongst us.

The Family Next Door is an entertaining, emotional, compelling, and suspenseful domestic thriller that explores the secrets, deceits, and lies of five women who live in a small seemly perfect suburban neighborhood.

Sally Hep
Phrynne
Debating between three and four stars here. I found it a quick, easy read and I certainly had to read to the end to find out what was going to happen. However I felt a bit overwhelmed by so much angst, and on several occasions was totally exasperated by silly women doing silly things. (Although Essie at least could blame a medical condition for the messes she got into.)

The twist involving Essie and her mother was interesting, the ending was satisfying so I guess I am concluding that it was an o
Nazanin
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery, 2018
3.5 Stars

It was a good read and it got me by surprise but still I had something else in mind. This story is about some neighbors who are living together in peace and doesn’t know what’s going on in each other's homes but when a new neighbor moved in, their secrets begin to spread. Well, I liked it more if somehow their life/secrets were more intertwined with each other! Told in multiple POV, 3rd person. It’s a standalone novel. It’s well-paced and the short chapters were in my favor. Overall, de
Marialyce (absltmom, yaya)
Ever been curious about that goes on in your neighbors' homes? Ever thought about what secrets your neighbors try to hide as they close their door and window shades at night? Surely, most of us have and that is the premise of this novel by Sally Hepworth.

The people of Pleasant Court have secrets and as we delve into the novel, we learn more and more about what is driving them. Some secrets are those of infidelity, some of a lost child, and some are of the illusions we sometimes see in marriages
Terrie  Robinson
"The Family Next Door" by Sally Hepworth is about the secrets we keep hidden from those around us!

Holy, Moly! For a minute there I felt like I was on Wisteria Lane listening to an episode of Desperate Housewives!

Essie, Ang and Fran are neighbor-friends who live on the same block in suburban Melbourne, Australia. At the moment, they're extremely curious and maybe a bit concerned about the single woman, Isabelle who just moved onto their street. No husband. No kids. Just Isabelle.

This is a famil
JanB
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book has a fun vibe reminiscent of the TV show, Desperate Housewives. There are plenty of secrets behind the closed doors in this Pleasant Court neighborhood, and there are enough twists and surprises along the way that kept me flipping the pages.

Altogether, this was a fun, entertaining read that was a refreshing change from some heavier reads.  It was a nice easy read with a little mystery and conflict that kept me reading and wanting to know how it would all turn out. For a contemporary
ABookwormWithWine
4.5/5

I have decided to rewrite my review for The Family Next Door by Sally Hepworth since I inadvertently just did a reread for it and listened to the audiobook. I really enjoyed this one the first time around, and I enjoyed it just as much, and actually even more, this second go-round. Thanks to this, I am raising my rating to a 4.5 from my previous rating of a 4. I think this book deserves more stars than I initially gave it because it really is just so good. It is gripping, mysterious, and I
Esil
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3+ stars

Very readable but likely not particularly memorable.

The Family Next Door focuses on three neighbours on a suburban street in Melbourne, Australia. Each woman is in the relatively early years of parenting, each is struggling with being a mother and wife, and each one has a secret. One day, Isabelle moves in next door and slowly the the facades are unraveled. It’s not quite a domestic thriller, but it certainly has twists and turns and the odd bit of suspense.

It was an easy read and it ke
Karen
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book about several families who lived on one street in Melbourne, Australia. The story was mostly centered around the women of the families, how they were dealing with their own situations. It had a few twists and was a fast paced read.
Amy
The Family Next Door is garnering comparisons to Big Little Lies and normally when a publisher compares a new book to an older blockbuster I’m annoyed when it doesn’t live up to the comparison. Well, this time the similarities are well founded, this most definitely will appeal to fans of BLL and I predict it will be a smash hit.

This follows five woman who live in the same neighborhood, Essie, Fran, Ange, Barbara and Isabelle so if multiple perspectives are your thing, you’ll be happy with the st
Virginie Roy
The story centers around family and motherhood. The idea was interesting and I liked the clever final twist, but I found myself bored for the second half of the book. Sally Hepworth's writing is fluid, as always, but the plot was a bit repetitive.

I enjoyed her three most recent books a lot (absolutely loved The Mother-in-Law and The Good Sister, 5 stars for both of them), so I'm going to read her next releases. Maybe her previous books are just less my type.

• The Golden Couple
  • The It Girl
  • The Family Remains (The Family Upstairs, #2)
  • What Happened to the Bennetts
  • Local Woman Missing
  • Greenwich Park
  • The Love of my Life
See top shelves…
Sally Hepworth is the New York Times bestselling author of seven novels.

Sally's books have been heralded “enchanting” by The Herald Sun, “smart and engaging” by Publisher’s Weekly, and New York Times bestselling authors Liane Moriarty and Emily Giffin have praised Sally’s novels as “women’s fiction at its finest” and “totally absorbing”.

Sally's novels are available worldwide in English and have b

Articles featuring this book

There's no such thing as "too many books." That's our mantra (once again) as we welcome a new year full of irresistible reading....
“One thing you didn’t realize until you were a grandparent was that little children were a tiny glimpse of magic in a dreadfully difficult world”.” 3 likes
“The less perfect things were, she was finding, the more likely they were to be real.” 3 likes