Start by marking “Full Throttle” as Want to Read:
Full Throttle

Full Throttle

In an autocratic society that refuses to let her move forward, can Poppy stay ahead of the pack?

As expensive steam-powered automobiles speed across the land, Poppy Orpington is trapped and going nowhere – until her father reveals his secret project, a petrol-fuelled car ready for the race track. But will they even be allowed to compete?

Racing is the preserve of the wealt
Published February 26th 2017 by Accent Press

To ask other readers questions about Full Throttle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Throttle

Michele
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
An engaging young heroine in a compelling tale of motor racing and the first steps in overturning the misogyny associated with the sport.

This is an alternate history, so most cars and other forms of transport are steam-powered, not petrol-driven until Poppy Orpington's father designs the first truly reliable petrol engine.
Tina Williams
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've given 5 high octane fuelled stars to Jon Hartless’ Steampunk adventure, Full Throttle, set in an alternate Edwardian reality of British society. Through the trials and tribulations of the protagonist, Poppy Orpington, the author explores the discrimination and divisions inherent in early twentieth century society, discrimination and divisions which still have resonance today. The novel is a hugely entertaining and thought-provoking read.
At the centre of the tale is Poppy, whose father is on
Trish Moran
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

My first venture into Steampunk!
Through the narrator of the book, we learn about Poppy Orpington, a pioneer of her age.
While other girls are busy learning skills to equip them to be good mothers and wives, Poppy and her friend Amy are fascinated by mechanics – seen by society as men’s work.
Poppy’s physical disabilities make life difficult for her in many ways but they also help her to gain strength to pursue her own dreams.
As the narrator says, life in those times has many parallels with contem
Steven Davis
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally go for books that start trilogies (mainly because a lot hide that fact). This book doesn't. And I want to read the second and third, and that's annoying, because they've not been published; possibly not even written yet. This is a YA book, but don't let that put you off. Opening up the world of motor car racing from a 1920s Steampunk era analogous to real world 1920s, this is a surprisingly powerful tract about the injustices of the class system, treatment of women and disabled ...more
Eva
Jan 27, 2018
Antony N Britt
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to be honest in saying I was never a Young Adult. Childhood kind of switched to the full adult version with a large proportion of child still there. Therefore, the Young Adult genre has never appealed to me. However ... I loved Full Throttle. In particular, I adored the feisty Poppy. A fast paced book which kept the pages turning. Three days for me to read, and it's not a short book by any means.

I also, despite liking gothic and steampunk fashions, have never been into the steampunk genre
Paul Morris