Start by marking “Out of the Blue” as Want to Read:
Out of the Blue

Out of the Blue

When angels start falling from the sky, it seems like the world is ending. Smashing down to earth at extraordinary speeds, wings bent, faces contorted, not a single one has survived.

As the world goes wild for angels, Jaya’s father uproots the family to Edinburgh intent on catching one alive. But Jaya can’t stand this obsession and, still reeling from her mother’s recent de
Paperback, UK Edition, 281 pages
Published March 22nd 2018 by Macmillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Blue, please sign up.
Lww (leah) No, the book's themes are not at all centered around religion whatsoever. The things that fall from the sky are not angels, they are Beings.

Start your review of Out of the Blue
emma
This is a book I probablydefinitely should have just written a mini-review of as soon as I finished it, but I was in a reading/writing/reviewing/blogging/life slump and I didn’t.

And now here we are. Writing a review of a book I even felt meh on six months ago, when it was fresh in my mind. Which it now definitively is not, even a little bit at all.

This is about Jaya, a Cool Teen whose life is looking a bit tragic at the moment because her mom is #RecentlyDead and now she’s being trotted off by
Tyler J Gray
I've heard this has a disabled bisexual MC falling for a lesbian POC character. I am so here for this! I'm disabled and bisexual and I can't actually think of a book i've read that has a disabled bisexual character in it. Give..it..to..me!!! Highly anticipating this one!
Sara
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The angels started falling from the skies 10 days after Jaya's mother died. Determined to catch one alive, and overcome with obsession, Jaya's father uproots their shattered family to Edinburgh. With her family reaching crisis point, and Jaya still struggling with her grief, the unthinkable happens - a Being lands at Jaya's feet, and an extraordinary relationship begins to take shape.

This is more than a story about angels. It’s a st
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
3.75 out of 5 stars!

I would like to thank the publishers Pan Macmillan and the team at MyKindaBook for sending me a physical ARC in exchange for an honest review. This standalone novel was definitely one that really appealed to me but being nervous to read, I don't have the most positive of experiences reading angel books or mainly books that feature angels. But this one was different, it was good but had a few areas which I wasn't particularly keen on.

Jaya, our main character, witnesses the dea
Bee
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sophie Cameron's debut really is something special! I'm calling Carnegie and Waterstones Book Prize nominations for next year! It's the sort of story that's just effortlessly beautiful and sweeps you up with the easy-to-follow emotional journeys. The secondary characters were absolutely stellar, in fact, all of the characters were complex and intriguing, and I loved what Cameron did with the dad towards he end of the book.

I really love books like this where the 'dystopian' element feels so magi
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: biracial (sri lankan and scottish) lesbian mc, bi li with a chronic illness (cystic fibrosis)

3.5

this book manages to be so many things all at once. a contemporary novel for the most part, but kind of urban fantasy. a story about grief & the power of love, but there's a sapphic romance in there too. a story of trust and hope, and fighting for urself.
Biz
”This is why hope is dangerous: it it’s taken away, you’re left with even less than you had before.”
At the risk of sounding like the kind of completely negative person I try so hard not to be, Out of the Blue is literally the first new book I’ve read in 2018 that I’ve liked. Seriously. I have no idea what this says about me, but if you take anything away from that statement, it should be that this book is amazing.

First off, let it be known that this book perfectly fulfills my personal aesth
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lea (drumsofautumn) by: Alexis (TheSlothReader)
Shelves: f-f-relationship
3.5 stars. Out of the Blue was an immensely enjoyable read. It is really short and an overall quick read but has so many things packed into it.

“Roses aren't any less beautiful because they don't live long. No one looks at them and thinks, man, what a tragedy they'll only be around for a little while. You just appreciate them while they're there. Or if you don't, you're missing the point.”

I think this has a really great storyline overall. My friend Alexis, who gifted this book to me,
Sabrina Grafenberger
I'm really disappointed that I didn't enjoy this book as much as I'd hoped.

The diversity of the characters is great (the main character is a biracial gay girl), but there are a few things that bothered me:

1. There's too much that doesn't get explained.

It's annoying that there are so many unanswered questions regarding the angels by the end of the book. Where are they coming from and why are they falling from the sky? Why are their wings slashed?

I doubt that the author Sophie Cameron even has an
Valentine
"Loss is mathematical: two-thirds less laundry, two-thirds less washing-up, two-thirds fewer footsteps thundering down the stairs. Substract music blaring through the walls. Substract eyeliner smudges on the towels. Add silence. Add more silence.
I've done those sums. The results are always greater than you think they'll be."

So, this is one of the books where I couldn't write a review immediately after putting it down. When I closed Out Of The Blue, I felt so overwhelmed and completely lost I
Alexis  (TheSlothReader)

As endearing as E.T. but with a Scottish- Sri Lankan lesbian MC who falls for a girl with cystic fibrosis. Also the most adorable angel ever named Teacake.
vicky.
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jaya, biracial gay and scottish, finds a fallen angel in a world where angels keep falling from the sky without anyone knowing why. But this angel, unlike others, is alive.

I really really like angel books and this was really cute while also dealing with heavy subjects like loss, grief and guilt. The LI is a bi girl with a chronic illness and her arc was handled rather well (although I would love to read ownvoices reviews about it)

I definitely need more books in this universe! It was a super fast
autumn
a really lovely story about angels and grief! i love the cover and i think the beautiful colors represent the feel of the story well 😊😊

representation: the main character is a mixed race (sri lankan/white) lesbian. her love interest is a bi girl with cystic fibrosis. the author is a lesbian
Serena
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wlw, lgbt, fantasy, young-adult
Claire
2019 Pride month read #3

I had so many questions and none of them were answered.
Aila
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 rounded up!

Out of the Blue is a pretty underrated dystopian-like, stand-alone novel! It follows the narrative of Jaya, a biracial girl who recently lost her mother and is dealing with the aftermath, as well as the sudden appearance of “Beings,” - or angels - that have started falling out of the sky. Although this book was on the short side, it was still a beautifully-written story about love and loss, trust and hope. The character relationships were wonderfully explored, although I wish ther
Lulai
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are freaking angels in this book but there are useless. I mean why bother put some magical creature if it is for doing nothing with them. You have an angel present for the whole book and she do nothing, there is no point or goal to her character. I don't get it, and I love angel mythologie, so much more could have been done here.
Acqua
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Nikki
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the publishers via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

So there is so much to love about this book! I love the concept. I so want to know more about it all but actually feel that what we get is perfect. But will this is obviously a book about angels falling from the sky, this is also a book about relationships - family and romantic. I loved all elements of them.

So first. So much inclusion omg. Bi-racial characters (and I like that it’s not a focus - I love tho
Completely Melanie
I really enjoyed this book! It's about these "Beings" (angels) falling from the sky and crashing to Earth. Everyone that comes down dies instantly from the crash. Jaya's dad is obsessed with finding a Being and so is a lot of the rest of the world. They want to ask it questions, experiment on them, sell them to the highest bidder, whatever. Jaya is totally against this and thinks they should be treated like people and not exploited. Next thing you know, a Being comes crashing down right in front ...more
thi
2.75/5
- tw suicide mention and descriptions
- this idea is so neat and with a gay mc and love interest with cystic fibrosis too it could’ve been so great
- It was ehhh
- while there’s some discussions of grief it doesn’t really delve beyond surface level (imo)
- It surprisingly doesn’t go too much into religion either .. lots of cults .. but no true discussions about heaven or other celestial bodies of which the angels came from
Nicole Sweeney
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on The Bibliophile Chronicles.

I recently did a 24 hour readathon and this was one of the books I was hoping to get to. After reading just a few pages I was absolutely hooked and I’m pretty sure I barely even breathed as I devoured this beautiful and original book.

This is such an important book and it deals with so many issues. It deals with grief in a really fascinating way as Jaya and her family attempt to recover from her mother’s death. It also deals with friendship,
Joséphine (Word Revel)
March 27, 2018

Full book review is up on Word Revel.

_________

January 27, 2018

Initial thoughts: I would definitely recommend this book to teens who need to see themselves in fiction — if they're biracial/Sri Lankan, gay or have a terminal illness, then this book should be in their hands. These characters seize life as best as they can and that matters so much in YA fiction.

In terms of plot and depth, however, I think this is a huge case of Out of the Blue wasn't really for me. I expected more comp
Stacey (prettybooks)
A YA novel set in Edinburgh? Yes please! Edinburgh is one of my absolute favourite places. I've visited a few of times and recently took myself there on a solo holiday. I was grateful to Out of the Blue for taking me back.

Continue reading this review over on Pretty Books.

Thank you to the publisher for providing this book for review!
Megan  (YABookers)
Disclaimer: I received this free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

When angels start to fall from the sky, at astonishing speeds and landing with such brutality, Jaya Mackenzie struggles to understand whether it connects to her mother – who died 10 days before the first angel fell. They call these angels Beings, and Jaya’s father suddenly becomes obsessed, trying to figure out where the next one will drop. Her father uproots her and her sister to Edinburgh, intent on catching t
sam
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f, bi-rep, wlw
This started out kind of slow, but it was interesting so I held on. And I'm so glad I did. Though it didn't really go where I thought it would. I thought Teacake would be like Castiel from Supernatural, knew about humans and their ways, how to speak English, etc. But she was just a frightened creature who was in a scary new world. I wish we could have learned more about the Beings and why they were falling. I also really liked Jaya and Allie, of freaking course.
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
In her debut novel, Sophie Cameron whisks us off to Edinburgh (YAY Scottish setting!), in a world where `Beings` have began to fall from the sky. The concept and worldbuilding was amazing, and I loved it. I also thought that Jaya was a great main character as she reacts in a very relatable way to finding the first live being, and attempting to hide it from her dad, who has made a hobby out of searching for one in a bid to cope with Jaya`s mum`s death. Both learning more about how Jaya`s mum died ...more
Emily
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was quite a good book! Admittedly, I did first decide I was interested in it because some of it takes place in Edinburgh (a city I adore), and I bought it while I was in Edinburgh, and also read it while here. I liked it, I think that the storyline and concept are not something that have been overdone. (A review of the UK edition.) I haven't read many books about angels, but this one made me want to explore and see about how others might work with this genre. It's dystopian in some ways, bu ...more
Brittany
May 18, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book took me forever to get through. I didn't connect with the characters or the main plot so it was a struggle. I ended up skim reading the last 100 pages (and it isn't a long book to begin with) and the big plot points that should have made me care, didn't. Maybe I am not the right audience since I am not a teenager, but it was a rough book to get through.
Grace
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Completely improbable, and totally wonderful. This book is gonna be big.
* full review to come on almostamazinggrace.co.uk *
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Skylarks
  • Only the Ocean
  • Slay
  • The Lost Witch
  • The Hand, the Eye and the Heart
  • Jinxed (Jinxed, #1)
  • D.O.G.S (S.T.A.G.S, #2)
  • All of This Is True
  • Magic Charly #1
  • The Dark Tide
  • The Dark Beneath the Ice
  • Beneath the Citadel
  • The Exact Opposite of Okay (Izzy O'Neill, #1)
Sophie Cameron is a writer from the Black Isle, Scotland. Her YA novels OUT OF THE BLUE (2018) and LAST BUS TO EVERLAND (2019) are published by Macmillan Children's Books in the UK and Roaring Brook Press in the US. She lives in Barcelona with her family and likes cats, learning languages, and Céline Dion.