Start by marking “Charlotte Holmes and the Locked Box (Lady Sherlock, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Charlotte Holmes and the Locked Box (Lady Sherlock, #1.5)

Charlotte Holmes and the Locked Box

(Lady Sherlock #1.5)

Short story

Start your review of Charlotte Holmes and the Locked Box (Lady Sherlock, #1.5)
Sandra
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first story I read in the "Lady Sherlock" series and I really enjoyed it. A very short and clever little mystery. I'm looking forward to starting this series with book one!
Christina ~ Brunette Reader

A very short, chapter-like, peek into a lovely and sophisticated historical romantic mystery series showing a concentrate of our Miss Charlotte Holmes’s uncanny logical and deductive abilities.
Blackjack
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clever mini-mystery (very mini at only 8 pages!) and sweet insight into Charlotte and Mrs. Watson's relationship. The only thing missing here is Ashburton.

I'm literally counting down the days now until October for Book 3!
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love this series and love that the author gave us this short story to hold us over, I loved every page of it and can't wait for book three to be out!
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Short and sweet and yet I was still moved to tear up a bit. I love the greater mysteries Charlotte Holmes faces, but these little side ventures are just as appealing.
Jasmine
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-fiction
Very short story. Almost just a scene. I really enjoy a Holmes who is so literate of people and feelings. Not because it comes naturally— quite the reverse, to Holmes people are all odd and illogical— but because they have studied.

Also Watson continues to be the best.
Amy Leigh
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable short story written about Charlotte Holmes, Sherlock's sister. She has begun solving cases for clients due to his poor health. She has the keen and stunning acumen that her brother does and this story is delightful and refreshing!

This is a great quick read with a curious riddle. Great when you are in a reading slump or just need a break from a long book you're reading. I would highly recommend this story and it only takes a few minutes to read.
Pamela Shropshire
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Very cute short story about Holmes and Watson.
Jess
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cute vignette, a moment of Charlotte-as-Sherlock Holmes helping a client. Charlotte might see all but she also knows how to read a room and is literate of feelings - the was a touching and encouraging scene which made the female Sherlock Holmes twist work so well. To be honest, this "story" so short that it was probably a scene cut from the first book but I don't mind a sweet freebie.
Snowleesi
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
More of a scene than a short story (deleted scene, maybe?), and if you love Charlotte Holmes already, you will delight in this snippet. The only thing missing is Ashburton!
Merry Jewelhound
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is just a few pages long. It shows the type of mystery that Holmes solves.
Spiderorchid
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
A nice glimpse into the world of Sherry Thomas' series but too short to be more than a two-star "okay" rating. I'm looking forward to reading the first novel in the series and see how it works when the author has time to really tell a story.

EDIT: I have now read all three books in the series and loved them. The plots and characters obviously need the time and space a full length novel provides to really develop and Thomas' worldbuilding and characterizations are great. I'm always skeptical when
Sara
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story. One scene only. I deducted a star for purely selfish reasons - that it was exceedingly brief and that i shall now have to wait until October to read the next installment in the series.
Navdha
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
So short but still so satisfying! Definitely captures Charlotte's personality and the tone the actual books set.
Penny Black
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very quick fun read
Susan Parks
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Quick little bite, an amuse bouche to whet your appetite
Anne - Books of My Heart
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Short novella which is sort of a locked room mystery.
Jessica-Robyn
I have been waffling about whether I should pick up book two of this series. I read the first book in early 2018 and I liked it, but not enough to really motivate me to keep reading the series. Now almost two years later and I was wondering if I shouldn't just take it off the TBR altogether. This short story was a great reminder of what the series is about and how interesting the style of it was. Maybe it will finally get me reading book two in 2020.
Joyce
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-mysteries
I’m a bit confused about why the owner of the locked box had to deal with it as she did, even though Miss Holmes had the means to help her with an alternate solution.

This author’s “A Study in Scarlet Women” was mentioned in the previous book I read, “Body on Baker Street” by Vicky Delany. I was intrigued by the premise of a female Holmes ... and was delighted to see that this short story in the series was available online. And that Watson is Mrs. Watson.

It has whet my appetite for the rest of th
Critterbee❇
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty cute little snippet of an 'everyday' problem solved by Charlotte Holmes of the the Lady Sherlock series by Sherry Thomas. Because this is a short bit of writing, I am writing about the series overall instead of this soupçon.

I enjoyed Sherlock Holmes, and like to read those books written in the same style, or inspired by Holmes, or even different stories about alternate Sherlock types. I am hooked on this series, and have really liked what I have read so far.

The writing style is pretty u
Steph
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am absolutely addicted to Charlotte Holmes, even in short-story form.

A young woman approaches "Sherlock" Holmes with a dilemma - a friend has sent her a mysterious box that she feels it is urgent to open. It comes with a clue, which Charlotte Holmes deftly solves, but the true solution to the puzzle lies in giving her new client confidence and determination.

Even though this story is only 8 pages, I'm always impressed by Thomas' ability to put the reader directly into a detailed scene with our
JG
This is a short story that continues the mystery solving abilities of Charlotte Holmes of the Lady Sherlock series. It cements the Lady Sherlock series firmly on the mystery suspense solving genre while the full length novels clearly adds the character development aspects on top of it.

I love this series!
Sheila Melo
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a very short story of a mystery solved by "Sherlock" Holmes. The focus here is only on the little mystery which turns into a character moment. I enjoyed this knowing about the first book in the series, but I don't know if someone who hadn't read the first book in the series would find this story interesting. Rating: 3 stars.
Kathryn Baron
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
This was an unexpected little treat. It is meant as a teaser, an introduction, a sample to get you to read the rest -- all of which means that it hits you on the head with its viewpoint and introduces nothing new. This does not make it bad, but I had hoped for more.
Claire
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wish-list
A delightful short story featuring one of my favourite detectives! Also, a clever solution. I always enjoy the way that Charlotte helps women of her time empower themselves. It must have been a very difficult age in which to be a woman, but Charlotte takes it by the horns.
Cheyenne
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very short story of Miss Holmes and Miss Watson.
Gwen - Chew & Digest Books -
So short, that if you blink, you miss it and pretty predictable.
Lea
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This just had me wanting more. Got it from a bookish newsletter to anticipate book 2. Predictable and left me wanting more. I just love these ladies. Date read approximated.
Bridget
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick lovely vignette - not long enough to tide one over, of course, but lovely nonetheless.
Amanda
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
Just a scene, but a nice snippet of Charlotte and one of her day-to-day cases. Glad it was a free read, wasn't enough to really be worth paying for it so that was nice.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
  • Murder at Kensington Palace (Wrexford & Sloane, #3)
  • Meat Cute: The Hedgehog Incident (Parasol Protectorate, #0)
  • A Soupçon of Poison (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #0.5)
  • A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell, #4)
  • Defy or Defend  (Delightfully Deadly, #2)
  • A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1)
  • Death at Brighton Pavilion (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries, #14)
  • Murder on Black Swan Lane (Wrexford & Sloane, #1)
  • The King of Fire
  • The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't (Parasol Protectorate, #0.5)
  • A Treacherous Curse (Veronica Speedwell, #3)
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (Wrexford & Sloane, #2)
  • A Murderous Marriage (A Lady & Lady's Maid Mystery #4)
  • A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell, #2)
  • This Strange Way of Dying: Stories of Magic, Desire and the Fantastic
Because actual world domination is too much trouble, USA Today-bestselling author Sherry Thomas decided that her goal is life is to write every kind of book she enjoys reading. Thus far she has published romance, fantasy, mystery, and a wuxia-inspired duology. Her books regularly receive starred reviews and best-of-the-year honors from trade publications, including such outlets as the New York Tim ...more

Lady Sherlock (5 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1)
  • A Conspiracy in Belgravia (Lady Sherlock, #2)
  • The Hollow of Fear (Lady Sherlock, #3)
  • The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)
  • Murder on Cold Street (Lady Sherlock, #5)

News & Interviews