Start by marking “The Light Between Us” as Want to Read:
The Light Between Us

The Light Between Us

Isaac and Thea were once close, but they've grown apart.

Thea works tirelessly, convinced she can prove everyone around her wrong - convinced she can prove that time travel is possible. But when one of her attempts goes wrong, she finds herself picking up the phone and calling her old friend.

Isaac is in New York - it's the middle of the night, but when he sees who's calling
Published August 9th 2018 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Light Between Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light Between Us

Amalia Gavea
"The planets were moving towards each other in the night sky when Isaac and Thea first met.’’

Yes, this is a wonderful combination of meaningful science-fiction and a charming relationship between two bright scholars. Yes, I enjoyed it immensely. Don’t worry, no aliens abducted me:) It is just that Khan’s writing is absolutely brilliant.

Thea and Isaac meet as undergraduate students in a lovely evening when a magnificent natural phenomenon takes place in all its glory. A few years later, Isaac i
Emer (A Little Haze)
Published today!

Katie Khan is back with her sophomore book, The Light Between Us and it's as greedy a book reading pleasure as her first release Hold Back the Stars which I had the immense pleasure of reading last year. Click here for that review.

And what I mean by greedy is that this is a book you will simply want to gobble up as quickly as you can!!! Her writing is so wonderfully captivating but most importantly of all... She tells amazingly compelling stories!!!

This book focuses on the rela
Katie Khan
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Decided to rate my own book, which is something I never do, to balance out the 3-star rating from a lady in Illinois who meant to review 'The Light We Lost' (because my novel wasn't even finished when she gave it 3 stars, and she reviewed 'The Light We Lost' 45 seconds after rating mine). Ah, goodreads, what fun we have.

THE LIGHT BETWEEN US publishes August 9th in the UK! It's a story about a scientist convinced she can establish time travel... with one major glitch.
Pauline
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Light Between Us by Katie Khan is a story about time travel and friendship.
Thea and her friends foolishly attempt a time travel experiment that goes terribly wrong and one of the friends Rosy is now missing. They are trying to find her or a way to bring her back.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Random House UK, Transworld Publishers for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Ruth
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book - there were lots of aspects that I really loved...I love that Thea gets kicked out of Oxford for trying to prove her time travel theory. I love that she's a bit odd. I love that she's using crystals to fragment light to make her time travel theory work. I also really liked her friendship group, and the support they give her.
It's a very readable book - once I started reading it I raced through in just a couple of evenings.

But, as with her previous book, it w
Karen Mace
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a fascinating and touching sci-fi/romance that was full of smart female characters who showed ambition and determination and that makes for a much more pleasurable reading experience!

I haven't read the first book from this author - Hold Back The Stars - which is to be made into a movie, and I can see the film studios grabbing hold of this book too as it had so many elements that would make it perfect for adapting to the big screen!

It's the story of Thea and Isaac who are firm
Tom McLean
Aug 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
I had high expectations for this book (I gave Khan's previous book, Hold Back The Stars, five stars), but I gotta tell you I kinda hated this one. This felt more like three interconnected novellas than a novel... Or at least, I think Khan had three distinct stories to tell:

First, there’s Thea, who’s just been kicked out of Oxford for messing with time travel in pseudo-scientific ways that would never get past the academic phase, let alone experimental. Second, there’s her friend Rosy, who’s "mis
Tez
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If two books establish a pattern, then it's safe to say that Katie Khan's books are difficult to rate. There are parts that are absolutely astonishing in their awesomeness, researched to sound as realistic - or at least as possible - as possible. These are the parts you want to shout spoilers about and shove the book into everyone's hands.

But there are other parts of the book that you're just not interested in, or you disagreed with the author's choices for storylines or focus.

This was true of H
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

Look I'll be honest - if I was watching TV and a film about time travelling came on, I would instantly switch over. For me personally, the whole science fiction, portal, time travelling sorta stuff has never been my cup of tea. Until now. Yes, yes, I know. I am as surprised as you are. However, my feelings on the theme of the book have changed due to Katie Khan. Whether I would find another fictional novel containing sc
Ronnie Turner
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thea Colman and Isaac Mendelsohn met on a cold night at St Catherine’s College in Oxford to witness a great celestial event. Five planets aligned and under a blanket of stars they’re fates aligned too. He was studying psychology, philosophy and linguistics. She was armed with a theory to prove time travel possible and a determination to succeed no matter what. Instantly a friendship sparked between them. A bond unlike any other.

Some years later and they have gone their separate ways. Their cl
Carmen
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Something beyond science? The Light Between Us might just be your cup of tea!

Full Review: https://bookiemunchie.wordpress.com/2...
Ellen
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Katie Khan has a habit of leaving me with a HUGE book hangover; it took me a week to get over her debut novel (Hold Back the Stars) and six days after finishing The Light Between Us I am still a little punch drunk! Katie's writing is absolutely beautiful and I wanted to savour every word and relish in all the emotions.

A desire to succeed in her field and regrets from the past result in Thea's attempts to control time. She is aided in her quest by fantastic group of female friends (Rosy,Urvisha a
TheBookHaven18
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
To find a novel as enjoyable as The Light Between Us is almost like a syzygy - it happens once every ten years. Khan’s ability to portray the trials of time travel and long lost love whilst simultaneously highlighting strong female friendships is a masterpiece in itself.

The story follows Thea, a grad at Oxford, who is studying physics. Fueled by her interest for time travel, Thea wishes to further her study of it but is renounced by her professors. She secretly builds her own ‘time machine’ - a
Janay Brazier
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in 2 sittings, completely addicted to this storyline and how it was written in such a captivating and believable way. Katie has done it again, creating a fantastic and unique plot with characters that I loved, flaws and all. I may even be a little in love with Isaac. Also... KATIE! I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU PUT ME IN THE ACKNOWLEDGMENTS! I’M SO HONOURED, I EVEN CRIED WHEN I SAW IT! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Overall, a brilliant book that I will be reviewing in more detail over on my blog:
Boo
Christina Reid
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
So happy to have read this! Review to come as part of the blog tour.
Ailsa
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Light Between Us is a sci-fi romance done right. Thea is a physicist at Oxford who thinks she’s close to figuring out the secret to time travel - but her experiment goes wrong and she’s kicked out of Oxford. I don’t want to give too much of the plot away but it features some fantastic female friendships (though poor Ayo seemed under utilised as a character and I’m not sure what she added to the plot) and a lovely romance and lots of science, but very accessible science. I loved Katie Khan’s ...more
Nicki Southwell
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
Review to follow
Maddy Harland
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book about 4 women friends. They are academically gifted, gorgeous, and fearless. It is so good to see such positive young female role models in a sci-fi novel. Then there is Isaac Mendelsohn, a credible male lead and the heroine's love interest. There are many reviews of Katie Kahn's book outlining the plot so I am not going to elaborate on what actually happens. I just want to make a couple of points.
Firstly, I like the way the science is handled without too many complicated, mind-nu
Paulina (infinitechapters)
2.5 ⭐

This was super confusing. I'm really sorry but I simply couldn't enjoy this book
Renita D'Silva
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Beautiful
Chrys
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Conflicted by this one, I really enjoyed parts of it but certain aspects just didn't make sense and overall it felt unresolved.
I love the mixture of science fiction and romance, and I loved her first book. I think maybe time travel is too speculative for it to work easily.
Fingers crossed for the next one.....
Reading with 2 book lovers
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
this is the first I've read from this author
I loved these characters and highly recommend this story to alot of people to give this author a shot.
Jo
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was really grateful to receive a proof copy of this book from Hannah Bright at Penguin Random House.

This is Katie's second novel and I must confess I have had her on my giant TBR pile for a while having never quite got round to reading her debut novel "Hold Back the Stars".

The book starts with Thea and Isaac our main characters who meet at Oxford University in 2010. Then jumping forward to the present Thea is still at Oxford as a post-graduate. We come to learn there's been a breakdown in thei
Karen Cole
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I was drawn to The Light Between Us as soon as I set eyes on that beautiful cover and having read the book I can confirm that it's just the perfect choice for this touching and unusual love story. Thea and Isaac become friends at Oxford University but have drifted apart over the past few years. Isaac believes Thea has become too single minded to the point of obsession while she resents what she perceives as his lack of belief in her work. She fervently believes she can prove time travel
Beverley
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh Katie Khan, what are you doing to me?! First you write Hold Back the Stars which 18 months after reading I still frequently think about and now you have filled my heart with The Light Between Us.

The Light Between Us is about two estranged friends, Thea and Isaac, who are brought back together when she discovers how to travel through time. Thea is studying for her PhD at Oxford University and despite the Physics Department believing that her theory is a waste of time she has doggedly persevere
Aileen Mckenzie
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
The Light Between Us is a contemporary romantic story with a unique sci-fi slant to it. It sounds confusing and bizarre, but it’s not. Think along the lines of The Lake House staring Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves, which is such an endearing film. The plot revolves around female scientist, Thea, studying for a PHD in Physics at Oxford University, who is secretly experimenting with time travel. When one of her friends, Rosy, goes missing after the experiment it seems the impossible has happened ...more
Patricia
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thea and Isaac have been friends since university. Their attraction is undeniable but their timing awful. The main issue though is that from the start Thea has been obsessed with the idea that time travel is possible and her brilliant scientific mind has found a way. When an experiment goes wrong and one of her best friends and Isaacs exes goes missing they are drawn together again to search through time, not just for her but maybe for each other too.

Warning. Do not read this book if you are lik
Dan Dalton
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Katie Khan's debut novel, Hold Back The Stars, asked us to consider the fates of two people tumbling through space, with limited oxygen, as they reflect on their relationship and try to save each other. If one could survive, what would life look like without the other? The result was a powerful examination of love with an ending that left me in tears.

Her new novel, The Light Between Us, asks us to consider a love that never happened, for one reason or another, and what might be different if the
Jo
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I loved this book! I just wanted to start by stating that this has to be my favourite book of the year. I loved every word. It's magical, whimsical, heart-breaking and a love story as old as time. I didn't want to put this book down, and was so sad when it ended. In fact, I picked it up and started to read the first chapter again, and  I very rarely do that. That's how much I loved this book.

This book is rooted in science and time travel and unrequited love. It's about friendship, about doing th
Kate Ling
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Katie Kahn because she writes in a zone in which I also consider myself a resident. We’re literary neighbours, as it were. She writes human, up-close personal trajectories in vivid, grand-scale sci-fi settings. If you know my books, you’ll know that her stories are pretty much literally Right Up My Street. In this one she moves from space and the future (the settings for her first book HOLD BACK THE STARS) to time travel, and I love time travel. Ever since THE TIME TRAVELLER’S WIFE I’ve b ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
What happened at the end? (Spoilers) 1 1 Jul 28, 2019 08:08AM

• The Kinsella Sisters (Lissamore, #1)
  • Netið
  • Lotus Effect
  • The Shutter of Snow
  • Dent's Modern Tribes: The Secret Languages of Britain
  • Forbidden Fruit: From The Letters of Abelard and Heloise
  • Electricity
  • Walls: A History of Civilization in Blood and Brick
  • Torn Apart: The Life of Ian Curtis
  • Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 124 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #124)
  • A Little History of Archaeology
  • Love Will Tear Us Apart
  • Hystories: Hysterical Epidemics and Modern Media
  • Seven Devils (Seven Devils, #1)
  • The Ape that Understood the Universe
  • Two People
  • A Girl's Guide to Modern European Philosophy
  • 4 Wizards
Katie Khan is a writer from London whose first novel, Hold Back the Stars, was published to great acclaim, translated into twenty-two languages, and is being adapted into a feature film starring John Boyega and Letitia Wright.

The Light Between Us is her second novel.

Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @katie_khan.
“It's as though we're standing on the edge of the universe," he says, repeating something she said a long time ago. "As though, for once, we could wave and the other planets might see.” 0 likes
“If a person already owns everything they could possibly want, making them a gift by hand is the best way to go.” 0 likes