Start by marking “Oceans (Frontiers of Speculative Fiction, #2)” as Want to Read:
Oceans (Frontiers of Speculative Fiction, #2)

Oceans

(Frontiers of Speculative Fiction #2)

“It is an interesting biological fact that all of us have in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears.
We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea--whether it is to sail or to watch it--we are going back from whence we came.”
- John F. Kennedy

Published September 26th 2017 by Holt Smith ltd

To ask other readers questions about Oceans, please sign up.

Start your review of Oceans (Frontiers of Speculative Fiction, #2)
Jenny
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2017
This was a great collection of short stories centered around our oceans. There is a little bit of everything here: mythology, fantasy, mermaids, Sci-Fi, environmental issues, aliens, you name it! Even with a central theme, I loved how diverse this collection was! I rated several stories at 5 stars, which is not something I normally do in anthologies.

Review by stories:
Bug Eater by Nathan M Beauchamp 3.5 stars
This was a very inventive story with a good twist. I would have liked to know a
Karen’s Library
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, sci-fi
I've always had a deep affinity with the ocean even though I live in the desert. For a time I even taught scuba diving and in my younger days traveled often to spend as much time as I could in the peace and serenity of the big blue. With that said, I truly enjoyed the short stories in this collection all sharing the common theme of the ocean.

Being a huge fan of Rysa Walker's, I immediately flipped to her story, "Full Circle", which was a new Chronos Files story set in the future. I enjoyed
Lynda Dickson
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 16+
Shelves: adult
OCEANS: The Anthology is a collection of 12 short stories by 12 different authors, each with an ocean-based theme. This review is for the story "Tide Sweeping" by P. K. Tyler.

"Tide Sweeping": Dust and sand have devoured the Earth, leaving behind only pockets of salt water protected by Sweepers, loyal to the Tide.

Jasja has an unusual job. Known as the Sweeper, she keeps watch over the last Ocean on earth, located inside a Temple in the Arctic Desert. She is destined to live her life here, with no
 Nyarlathotep Twelfth Month The Haunted Reading Room
Review: OCEANS: THE ANTHOLOGY (Various Authors; edited Daniel Arthur Smith)

What a wonderfully imaginative, creatively speculative, multi-author collection! I loved it! I was intrigued by the title, as I have been an aficionado of the Apocalyptic and Post-Apocalyptic sub-genres for nearly six decades, and because over the last couple of years that interest has focused on rising sea levels, climate change, and Lovecraftian apocalypses. I found plenty to gratify my intrigue here, and OCEANS: THE
Trisha Perry
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oceans an anthology of stories written by an awesome lineup of high quality authors is not one to be missed, with stories like:
Tide Sweeping by P K Tyler – That portrays Jasja a young sweeper who keeps the last ocean and leads the offering ceremony for this twenty years that will chose the next sweeper for Jasja to train. But there is always more to a story than I am willing to tell so you will need to read it to find all the exciting, and wonderful parts.
Siren Song of the Mississippi by Hank
Diana in SC
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Evocative, mysterious, and brilliant writing

So far, I have only read two of the short stories, but they were really fantastic and very high quality Sci-fi with perhaps a touch of Fantasy. I really want to read the rest of them very soon.

I am a big fan of P.K. Tyler, and her story "Tide Sweeping" was everything I could have hoped for from this brilliant, innovative author. I was entranced by the mysterious story and lyrical prose. In the far future when the oceans have almost disappeared and
Beverly Laude
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, kindle, 2017
So far, I have read 3 of the stories in this Anthology.

Bug Eater by Nathan M. Beauchamp is an unusual look at how the human race might cope with the loss of food supply. Angi, a young woman determined to find the answer, is labeled a bug eater because of her experiments to develop an protein source by using bugs. Wonderfully written and thought-provoking look at what we might become.

Tide Sweeping by P.K. Tyler is typical of other works by Ms. Tyler: fairly dark, with mystical/spiritual aspects.
Seamus
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OCEANS is another excellent anthology of science fiction/ speculative tales curated and published by Daniel Arthur Smith.

This collection of 12 short stories are all ocean themed, continuing on from the amazing book 1 CLONES and deal with very varied challenges, mysterious events and dystopian futures.

All of these stories are great page turners, but the most thought provoking in my opinion was Siren Song of the Mississippi Queen by Hank Garner, which was sourced by the air, landscape and old
Christian
Feb 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don't know what happened here.
I love the ocean.
I love speculative fiction.
But this just didn't work.
The stories are beautifully written, but for me they just didn't seem to go anywhere. I'm not sure if I'm missing something that other people are seeing? I just couldn't get into this and struggled to the end.
Christinaraven
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This anthology of short stories was a blast to read. All had a general ocean theme but how it was important to the story differed greatly. Some were fantasy, futuristic and some more dystopian in theme. I liked them all. I read it in one sitting as I kept saying one more before I stop. Great for a lunch time read. The authors views of the ocean were all unique. I enjoyed reading all of the short stories although I admit to liking some more then others. The first story was a blast. I recommend ...more
Ernie Howard
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful anthology from some imaginative authors. Every story is about the ocean and so well written you can almost hear the waves crash, and taste the salt on your lips.
PJ Lea
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A group of stories united by the theme of the ocean.
I had already purchased and read Clones: The Anthology so I looked forward to seeing what these authors would come up with for Oceans. I was not disappointed on the whole.
Some of the stories are enlightening, the state of our oceans are a disgrace. Some give hope, some are a dire warning. They are still entertaining and good to read.
I especially enjoyed the stories that involved sea creatures.
Colby
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Overall a fantastic collection of stories. Very well done by both the authors, and the editor who arranged them.
Ray Daley
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Bug Eater by Nathan M. Beauchamp - A nice little story about a tribe living their meagre lives on the very edge of existance. I wasn't aware of Nathan's work before this story but it was a very pleasant and entertaining read.

Tide Sweeping by P.K. Tyler - Another nice story, lovely imagery about a Priestess waiting for her successor.

The Titan's Daughter by Daniel Arthur Smith - Gosh but this is odd. I was trying to place the story (I think it's Ulysses?). Not bad but not good either.

Dancing in
Lorena
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy speculative fiction short stories, I highly recommend this ocean-themed anthology. The stories are well-written, original, and often surprising. While there are many dark or violent moments in these stories, they are tempered with beauty, hope, and humor. Unlike many other speculative fiction collections I've read, this doesn't feel overly grim to me.

It would be hard for me to choose a favorite from this collection. The opening story, “Bug Eater” by Nathan M. Beauchamp, was a creepy
Kay Smillie
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent collection of speculative stories based on the theme of oceans. Some of these will open your eyes, particularly the issue of ocean conservation. Also a reminder of how the oceans are a huge part of Mother Earth, and are vital to an amazing amount of living beings' welfare and lives.

I need to say at this point that I am terrified of water, and have been from a very early age. I can't swim and am unable to go anywhere near open stretches of water. The stories are very well
Teri Miller
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So much excellence, I feel cleansed by the oceans.

This book of stories, all touching an ocean, is refreshing, reviving, and a stark reminder that each of us is a steward of the planet. The tale entitled Turtle especially moved me to tears and frustration. How ignorant is mankind that we pollute this treasure, this jewel of a planet, our life sustaining oceans?

Each story hit me differently. I love Rysa Walker's Chronos books. So that was a favorite. If you haven't read any this will spark your
Ty
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really liked several of the stories particularly the Mage meets Cthulu story by Alex Shvartsman and the story about the elderly oceanographer who hits her head. My one major dislike was to see a fake Aristotle quote commonly used by racists and the alt right "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" -Aristotle. This is not a quote by Aristotle. This is an easy check and obvious to anyone with a grounding in greek thought. I don't even think that if the quote was true it ...more
Sarah Brousseau
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book 89/55: Oceans: The Anthology (Frontiers of Speculative Fiction #2) by Jessica West (Editor). I didn't realize this was a dystopian collection of ocean related short stories until I finally opened it and started this journey. I think I was expecting more sea creatures because of the whale at the front but a few stories in and not many aquatic life forms. Still, very much enjoyable, I got to live in the ocean and I enjoyed that very much. A few stories hit home a lot more than others, it ...more
Karen
The Bug Eater by Nathan Beauchamp was incredible and the highlight of the anthology.I'm hoping the author will continue to write about these characters and the world he created.The other standouts for me are The Hunt for the Vigilant by Alex Shvartsman which left me hoping for more stories set in this world.Girt By the Sea by Elliott S. Brandis had me glued to the page.Turtle: An A.L.I.V.E. Story By R.D. Brady was touching and a wake up call to humanity.I also enjoyed rereading Dispatches from ...more
Marty
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
I bought this anthology for $0.99 after reading Liu's anthology Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Last Jedi - The Legends of Luke Skywalker to find out what "speculative fiction" was. Some of the stories were pretty interesting takes on the environmental future, nearly all of them were confusing, and overall I probably wouldn't recommend it.
Cmoore
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is something about the mystery of the ocean that calls to me... The birthplace of life. The vast might and majesty of a frontier which insignificant mankind has yet to fully explore, even though it laps upon our very doorstep...
Daniel has gathered some of my favorite authors together to explore this vast watery world, and boy do they ever deliver. From a Homeresque tale of loving and letting go, to stories of the Finned-People, to Climate Change and Deadly Pollution...It's all there!
So
Erika Stromerson
Jun 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
(more towards 1.25 because there were one or two decent stories in this)

Good idea, mediocre execution. There were a couple decent stories, but overall the writing was not that great, and often things got heavy-handed and melodramatic when discussing the oceans' future. An okay, like, beach read, I guess?
Penny
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating and thought provoking anthology of speculative fiction related to the ocean. Some of the stories were quite disturbing (not a bad thing). All were well written and worth reading.
Ann Keeran
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A terrific anthology of stories dedicated to oceans! Ken Liu has gathered an amazing variety of fiction, all dedicated to the wonderfulness of the water! Some are sad, some are thrilling, but they are all entertaining!
Jemima Pett
An excellent selection of ocean-themed short stories, many with a pollution or climate change basis. As with all anthologies, some are more memorable than others. Several made me want to add other books by the authors to my list.
Makes a great beach read, too!
Jesse Hudson
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: set-aside
I enjoyed the book overall, but found the quality of the writing to be rather uneven. Some stories were absolutely captivating and I devoured them, while others held no interest for me at all.
Noelle Brighton
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Exceptional writing from several authors makes this anthology an enjoyable read. My favorite story was Bug Eater, by Nathan M. Beauchamp.
Douglas
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Awesome anthology

I find stories about the oceans very interesting and hard to find. This book is a breath of fresh air. We need more science fiction about oceans.
Amy Peavy
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reviewing books in the opposite order that I read/ finished them this year.

I enjoyed this book overall, some of the stories seemed more amature than others.

• Chronicle Worlds: Tails of Dystopia (Future Chronicles)
  • Atlantis Quadrilogy - Box Set (Books 1 - 4): Project Atlantis, Book 1 - Destination Atlantis, Book 2 - Colony Atlantis, Book 3 - Beyond Atlantis, Book 4
  • The Djinn Falls in Love & Other Stories
  • Unfiction
  • Dreaming in the Dark (Chains of the Fallen Arc #1; Soul Force Saga #4)
  • The Jakarta Pandemic (The Perseid Collapse, #0.5)
  • The Borrowed Souls
  • The Braintrust: A Harmony of Enemies (The Braintrust, #1)
  • The Dream Gatherer (Green Rider, #6.5)
  • The Outlandish Companion, Volume Two (The Outlandish Companions #2)
  • The Darwin Variant
  • The Novels of Samuel R. Delany Volume One: Babel-17, Nova, and Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand
  • Harvest of Souls (Disciples of the Horned One #3; Soul Force Saga #3)
  • Raging Sea and Trembling Earth (Disciples of the Horned One #2; Soul Force Saga #2)
  • Trauma
  • A Match Made in Spell (Fate Weaver, #1)
  • The Time Travel Megapack: 26 Modern and Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • The Trikon Deception
Jess is currently pursuing a state of self-induced psychosis (also known as writing).

Frontiers of Speculative Fiction (2 books)
  • Clones: The Anthology (Frontiers of Speculative Fiction, #1)