Start by marking “Killer Intent (Killer Intent, #1)” as Want to Read:
Killer Intent (Killer Intent, #1)

Killer Intent

(Killer Intent #1)

An assassin’s bullet. A deadly conspiracy. But who is calling the shots?

When an attempted assassination sparks a chain reaction of explosive events across London, Britain’s elite security forces seem powerless to stop the chaos threatening to overwhelm the government.

As the dark and deadly conspiracy unfolds, three strangers find their fates entwined: Joe Dempsey, a deadly
Published January 25th 2018 by Elliott & Thompson

To ask other readers questions about Killer Intent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer Intent

Carolyn
This is a high intensity political thriller with an assassination plot threatening to kick off new hostilities between Britain and Northern Ireland. Great characters - an ex-security force soldier Joe Dempsey, a young, ambitious reporter Sarah Truman and Michael Devlin, a solicitor from a shady Irish family all racing against time and a very dangerous man hired by an unknown powerful character determined to change the course of history. Plenty of fast paced action in this gripping and intense pl ...more
Liz Barnsley
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Killer Intent is a proper thriller. By that I mean it’s actually thrilling, whilst showing a huge amount of depth in both plot and character. I’m a fan. It was GREAT.

So our political landscape is pretty FUBAR at the moment, we know this, but I’m kind of hoping that behind the scenes things are somewhat less House of Cards than is happening in this story – bullets are flying, people are dying, there’s a devilish plot going on somewhere and Joe Dempsey is determined to dig down to the very roots o
Bookread2day
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while a new author appears on the writing scene with an amazing first novel. Tony Kent is one of those new novelist with his first amazing book, Killer Intent that's an action tight page turning thriller. I'm really looking forward to his new novel Marked for Death that will be published Seventh of February in 2019. I believe that Tony Kent will be one of those novelist to keep on looking out for in the future.
Roy
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an intense political conspiracy action thriller, in the vein of Ludlam/Clancy style. The story follows 3 mainc POVs. A ex spefial security officer, a lawyer and a reporter who all get caught up in the action. There is a 4th shady character who may or may not be controlled by some all powerful figure. Intense fast paced read. My only critique is that the number of characters at the start can make the story feel a little convoluted however after the 70-90 page mark it all comes together.
Kate
Such a good political, conspiracy and action thriller. Intriguing characters and tense throughout. The violence feels very real and, as a result, parts of the novel are particularly powerful and even upsetting. Highly recommended.
Andy Wormald
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be a highly charged thriller of the highest quality, full on action, slick and fast paced.
Starting with the attempted assassination of a former US president in London, fate and circumstances soon bring together two of the main protagonists in a race to uncover the truth that will bring their own very survival into doubt.
The author has created a great cast of characters with an explosive story and plot line to match, the story flows at a pace guaranteed to make the pages turn in a
Ruth Jones
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok, but it was obvious from about chapter 50 who the baddies were...too many easy clues.
Siobhan
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After hearing so many positive things about Killer Intent, I was eager to dive into the story for myself. I’m always on the lookout for new thriller authors to watch, and I had high hopes Tony Kent would be added to the list. Unfortunately, I’m in the minority with this one.

I can certainly see the appeal of Killer Intent. With short and snappy chapters, things happen at a rapid pace. We follow multiple individuals, watching the way everything comes together, and it’s a book you can power throug
Steve Aldous
Enjoyment of this book will depend pretty much on your willingness to buy into the increasingly implausible plot presented. The story has its twists and turns, but none of these came as a surprise and the motivation and actions of the chief villain of the piece increasingly defied logic. Kent has two strong heroes in Dempsey and Devlin and a gutsy heroine in Truman. However, the latter character takes an increasingly back-seat role, having been the conduit for the early action. The book then des ...more
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
Copy received from S & S Australia for an honest review

This book. Boy, this book. I was intrigued by the blurb, but wasn't really sure what I was in for.

What I was in for was an adrenaline packed story, full of murder, political intrigue an plot twist after plot twist.

It did take me about 50 pages to get my head around who was whom, however once I had that in place I couldn't stop turning the pages.

It was a guessing game to see who the bad guys really were - I had my suspicions about half wa
Judy Odom
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Killer Intent is an intense political thriller and as the pages turn you arent sure who is the villian or the mastermind behind the carnage that has resulted in assassination of government officials and the resulting deaths of those who knew just a little too much.

The characters were well defined, you felt that you were there with them fighting the fight. The pages turn quickly and you will think of the book long after it has ended. Give it at a try .

Thanks to Lovereading UK for the opportunity
Rod
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The sudden tightening of his jaw. The stiffening of his nondescript clothing. The calming, strengthening intake of breath. All the signs of a man about to act."

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.

This is a high-octane thriller that grabs hold quickly and doesn't let go. A fast, suspenseful read with a satisfying conclusion. Don't be put off by the lame title.
Jon
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

The best read in ages. I'm looking forward to more from this author as he has obviously got a great talent for edge of your seat plots.
Bree T
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t naturally gravitate towards this sort of story but occasionally it’s good to mix it up with something I don’t normally read and this has some big wraps on it so I decided to give it a go. It’s set in England, beginning at a highly public event featuring not only England’s Prime Minister but both the current and a former President from the United States. Obviously security is complicated and it’s a mix of top British security and the American Secret Service having to work together. Things ...more
Claire
I hold my hands up; I don’t normally read conspiracy thrillers but this one did grab my attention with its blurb.

But it’s not just a conspiracy thriller. No siree, it showed elements of a criminal investigation without the police procedural behind it. With security services, barrister and CNN reporter trying to solve the suicide/accidental death/murders, it’s something that little bit different which makes it stand out from the crowd.

Tony Kent has created some larger than life characters that as
Denise
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-2018
The attempted assassination of a former US president on British soil marks the beginning of a deadly chain of events threatening to overturn the current government while three strangers looking into the attack - Joe Dempsey, an elite soldier working for military intelligence; Sarah Truman, an ambitious CNN reporter chasing the story of a lifetime; and Michael Devlin, a lawyer hiding a shady past in Northern Ireland - all find clues that there might be more going on than meets the eye and begin t ...more
Nick Brett
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hmm, if you are new to this kind of conspiracy thriller you might enjoy this, if you have read many then this is all a bit too obvious.
Irish troubles have re-emerged and a Prime Minister under pressure is not helped by an assassination in Trafalgar Square. Layers within layers as a TV reporter and a barrister and at the same time an ex- special forces intelligence agent come to realise all is not as it seems.
It has plenty of action and lots of pace, but it is also all a bit obvious to those of u
Glenys Jones
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book fast action packed thriller , loved the plot and the characters were well written and likeable’, with real good baddies, loved the ending which opens up so many possibilities
Abs
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I've read a good thriller crime novel, and this didn't disappoint. I was fully hooked for most of the book.
Unfortunately I felt that the twist was quite predictable, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Jeannette
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book blurb...
Britain’s elite security forces seem powerless when an audacious attempt is made to assassinate a former US president in London. This becomes the spark which ignites a chain reaction of explosive events that will see old political sympathies rekindled and personal loyalties betrayed.
Joe Dempsey, a deadly military intelligence officer who witnesses this botched assassination, soon realises that this is just one small part of a complex and dark conspiracy, and only he can stop it. The
David
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a really good thriller. The plot is tight and moves at pace, and that makes it a real page turner.

I found the plot twists quite predictable and the characters were a little out of central casting, but then this is a thriller, not a contender for the Pulitzer prize. Also there's nothing wrong with that. Lee Child has made a fortune from writing pretty much the same book multiple times and 'Killer Intent' is easily the equal of anything featuring Jack Reacher.
Meegy
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Political thrillers aren't really my kind if book. But I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would. A large variety of excellent characters that I just loved. A major twist that I never expected. Well make that 2 twists I never expected that entwined together. Was a great read and now have considered putting more political thrillers in my TBR. I received a copy of this ARC from NetGalley and the Publisher for an honest review. Thank you.
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a real page turner. It is exciting and fast paced and will probably keep you up reading into the night. With an inspired storyline and believable characters this story had me gripped from quite early on. I found it fascinating how my ideas of who the 'good guys' and 'bad guys' changed and shifted and fed into pre- existing conspiracy theories. This would make a brilliant film.
Jeff
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an exciting and well-paced thriller, and introduces an intriguing new protagonist in the form of ex-SAS and now security forces operative, Joe Dempsey.

I read most of this while we visited RB in Florida.
Benjamin
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gripping read, great characters, fantastic plot! I loved the lot. An excellent debut novel from Tony Kent.
Alan Zinober
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read

Excellent book filled with excitement and tension. A very good first novel. I hope that subsequent books prove to be as well written.
Jen
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do you know what I hate? I mean realllllllly hate? It's writing reviews for bloody good books as it's so hard. You want to do the book justice but you know it's going to be hell on earth trying to find the right words. I love a good thriller and Killer Intent is a very, very good thriller. Most excellent in fact, and I'm quite frankly a little annoyed with myself that I haven't read it sooner.

This is a book that ticks all of my boxes when it comes to what I am looking for in a thriller:
Intense
Nathania Ma
First, congratulations to Mr. Kent as this novel will be adapted into a TV series!

Now, my review: More like 4.5 stars. This is a fast-paced, action-packed novel with a plot that is so realistic it scares me. Terrorism is a hot topic for writers but it's also a challenging topic because when the plot becomes too far-fetched and over the top, it lacks the appeal. After all, people fear terrorism because they destroy lives, tear families apart and traumatize the survivors. What I like about this b
Noelle
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The main action of this AWESOME story is set in London and Belfast and the reader is faced with corruption, politics, greed, power, control, assassination, betrayal, gangland overtones, loyalty, family, the past, lies/secrets, love and the search for the truth.

This debut novel is perfectly paced right from the start! The level of intensity had me holding my breath as I raced through the chapters trying to piece together everything that was happening! Each chapter was well written, with a tight n
Pam Fox
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Killer Intent is the debut novel by Tony Kent, really!!! His first book every written!!! Hard to believe, I know.
In the acknowledgements he talks about the "village" which is needed to bring up a child and a book being very much the same, how Killer Intent wouldn't be the book it is without his "village" but it was his idea, his thought process and his writing which brought that "village" together.
In case you didn't guess from the 5 stars or the opening paragraph, I loved this book. Opening wit
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • No Stone Unturned (Lexi Carmichael Mystery #11)
  • After the Darkness
  • The Geneva Trap (Liz Carlyle, #7)
  • The Authorities™
  • Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)
  • Binary Witness (The Amy Lane Mysteries, #1)
  • マスカレード・ホテル [Masukarēdo hoteru]
  • Dying Gasp (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #3)
  • Shattered Sky (Border Watch #2)
  • Blood Secret
  • Hindsight (Cas Lehman and Detective Ed Dyson #1)
  • The Freedom Broker (Thea Paris #1)
  • Sharp (Mindspace Investigations, #2)
  • India Black and the Gentleman Thief (Madame of Espionage, #4)
  • The Puppet Spell
  • Whispers of the Dead (Special Tracking Unit #2)
  • Dying Games (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #6)
Tony Kent’s first novel, KILLER INTENT, was one of the ‘must reads’ of 2018. It was selected for the Zoe Ball Book Club and is now to be adapted for television, directed by the award-winning filmmaker Duncan Jones.

Tony Kent grew up in a close-knit Irish family in London and studied law in Scotland.

A top-ranking barrister, Tony’s case history includes prosecuting and defending many high-profile, na

Killer Intent (2 books)
  • Marked for Death (Killer Intent, #2)