Start by marking “Party Discipline” as Want to Read:
Party Discipline

Party Discipline

In a world where most of us are just surplus population, certain temptations are acute indeed.

At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.

Published August 30th 2017 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Party Discipline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Party Discipline

Start your review of Party Discipline
TL
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t remember how we decided exactly to throw a Communist party. It had been a running joke all through senior year, whenever the obvious divisions between the semi-zottas and the rest of us came too close to the surface at Burbank High: “Have fun at Stanford, come drink with us at the Communist parties when you’re back on break.”

The semi-zottas were mostly white, with some Asians—not the brown kind—for spice. The non-zottas were brown and black, and we were on our way out. Out of Burbank
I made the mistake of reading this excellent novella of a near future Los Angeles, or more correctly, Burbank and the San Fernando Valley, while I was also reading Pumpkin Spice Secrets. The jarring contrast between the world of the pumpkin spice kids, who have money to burn, play soccer, have no worries, and live the life of the upper-middle class that white people often do, oblivious to those around them, and the world that Cory has painted, that is so close to the present, that it rubs ...more
Fiona
One of the longer Tor freebies I've read, this short from Cory Doctorow lives in the same universe (I assume) as his recent novel, Walkaway.

This time we get a better look at the world the walkaways are leaving behind them, as well as the way the default sees those who decide to leave it all behind. I loved the novel, and this short lived up to every bit of my expectations.

Read it free here: https://www.tor.com/2017/08/30/party-...
Delia
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eric
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
not sure "sci-fi" is the category I want to put this in, though it sort of is (the year-from-today speculative fiction that Doctorow's sometime co-author Charles Stross also sometimes writes in the -otherwise very different -novel Halting State, for example)- and maybe not exactly satire either (maybe cyberpunk? No, not really.) Anyhow, that's a classifying quibble. Have still not read much by Doctorow ("Rapture of the Nerds" - with Stross - is at best almost the only other exception so far?...) ...more
Crystal
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i LOVE this story. the writing is perfect. the tone is at once downcast and uplifting. the dialogue and characters are real.

i will read everything by cory if it's anything like this. you can be sure the next time i'm at the book store i'm getting his novel set in the same world- Walkaway.

you can read is for free here on tor.com. I highly recommend it to anyone who's ever questioned their participation in default society.
Marco
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is the first time I read a story by this author, despite having heard a lot of positive things about him. He has definitely an interesting and original voice, and I can see why he defines himself as a writer and activist: as the title suggests, this story has definitely a political bent.
The story is set in a world where most of us are just surplus population, disposable, a resource to exploit and use to get richer. It's a scary word, where a capitalist society has morphed into something
Sebastian Andersson
I didn't know it was a book for teenagers when I started to read it.

Like many of Cory Doctorow's books it is written with a clear agenda that is heavy-handedly pushed by making the characters hold speeches all the time instead of letting the readers figure it out for themselves. The ideas in the book are good and this could have been a really great book without the speeches. Would have loved to see a larger novel based on the same, near future USA with some older characters.

John Gunders
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my introduction to the Walkaways universe, and I must read more. This was tight, well-written and realistic enough to be both believable and terrifying. Doctorow writes some of the best modern short fiction I have ever read (parts of Overclocked, for instance), and this one is no exception. A brutal and depressing commentary on late capitalism from the perspective of college seniors about to graduate. Read it online here: https://www.tor.com/2017/08/30/party-...
Joe
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gosh, it's quite a long story, isn't it? This is symptomatic of Cory Doctorow - his ideas are expansive in nature and in description, which tends towards verbosity. A good concept, delivered a bit combersomely.
Faith
I was intrigued by the world; the story made me marginally more interested in reading Walkaway, which I had previously been not-at-all interested in. But at the same time it never quite grabbed me all the way.
Charl
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: y2019
I hate how plausible Doctorow's vision of the near future is, but I love the detail in how he shows them.
David Blaylock
Cory Doctorow is my favorite Commie.
Kate
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
So this is only the second thing I've read by this author, the other being a novella titled "Craphound" that was in an old sci-fi story collection paperback.
Dakota Sillyman
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun, quick addition to Cory Doctorow's wonderful 'Walkaway' universe.
Veronica
Read on the Tor.com blog. A well-done near-future dystopia. Love the cover art!
Travis
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super short, and I hadn't realised until quite late where it ties into a future I'd seen from this author before -- but I liked it when I did.
Shima
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is like a full-on YA dystopia rolled into one little story. In terms of world-building, it had a similar vibe to Pretties. So go for it if that's your thing. It's very short. You can read it here: https://www.tor.com/2017/08/30/party-...
Colin Forbes
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An agreeable sort of short story in the world of Cory Doctorow's Walkaway.

Where Walkaway was sprawling and somewhat unfocussed, this benefits from being limited to a much smaller scale set of events, while still exhibiting Cory's inventive extrapolation of current-day trends into a very believable near future.
Kell
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f, short-stories
Vaguely futuristic lengthy short story about class hierarchy, communism, friendship, and trying to make a way.
Cassidy
Oct 31, 2017
Eva Kenieva
Nov 04, 2019
Bruce
A nice little stand-alone set in the Walkaway universe, it seems to also bridge the world of Little Brother/Homeland quite well, with questions about governance, economics, organizational structures, and human nature. A good little read, especially if you are curious about what might be next for civilization.
Linda

• Uncanny Valley
  • The Martian in the Wood
  • The Library of Lost Things
  • Walking to Aldebaran
  • The Mongolian Wizard (The Mongolian Wizard, #1)
  • The Martian Obelisk
  • The Heart of Owl Abbas
  • Nine Last Days on Planet Earth
  • These Deathless Bones
  • A Long Day in Lychford (Lychford, #3)
  • Articulated Restraint
  • Vigilance
Cory Doctorow is a science fiction author, activist, journalist and blogger — the co-editor of Boing Boing and the author of the YA graphic novel In Real Life, the nonfiction business book Information Doesn’t Want To Be Free, and young adult novels like Homeland, Pirate Cinema, and Little Brother and novels for adults like Rapture Of The Nerds and Makers. He is a Fellow for the ...more