Start by marking “Truth by His Hand” as Want to Read:
Truth by His Hand

Truth by His Hand

I never thought I’d have a sexual awakening at 34, but, well…here I am: River Burke, novice deviant and master class neurotic mess. With my laundry list of control issues, submission doesn’t exactly come naturally, but I figure if I can find the right person—someone big, buff, and crazy intimidating—maybe I can learn to let go.

And then in walks Ellison Fitch.

He

Published August 29th 2017 (first published August 25th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Truth by His Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truth by His Hand

Illegal Contact by Santino HassellTease by Ella FrankTate by Ella FrankRule Breaker by Lily MortonMature Content by Megan Erickson
Best M/M of 2017.
306 books — 299 voters
Submission by Chris OwenDomination by Chris OwenRough Canvas by Joey W. HillDiscipline by Chris OwenBondage by Chris Owen
Best Gay BDSM
990 books — 1,218 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Truth by His Hand
Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books
This was pretty good and extremely well written. River suffers from a multitude of anxieties. His constant inner dialogue bogged down the story a bit. I found that delving too deeply into his issues would trigger quite a few of my own so I ended up skimming a lot of it. The story is told only from his POV and I think if written in dual pov I would've ultimately liked this much more than I did and it would have balanced it out much better. I wanted to know more of what Ellison was thinking and fe ...more
Gigi
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-bdsm, mm-kinky
This one started off HOT and reminded me of Uneven. Rough and sexy sexual gymnastics, but the last half of the book was repetitive and it wasn't enjoyable after that. Disappointed.

2.5 stars, rounded up because of early hot sex scenes.
Channy
Feb 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
My expectations going into this were super low.

It’s hard to find a good, solid BDSM book nowadays. I’m so picky when it comes to books in general, especially when BDSM is involved. Most books don’t get it right, or there’s one scene just so it can be tagged as BDSM when it’s really not.

Anyways. I’m pleasantly surprised. This is a book I shouldn’t have liked so much, but it caught me at the right time.

River, our MC, was a conundrum. His neurotic tendencies were a huge part of this story, and I
Claudie ☾
It’s no secret that well-written kink exploration and (consensual) limit pushing are the way to my little dark heart.

My ultimate weakness (well, one of them, to be completely honest 🙈). My catnip! There’s no point resisting, just let me roll around in it foreverrr…

So! When it comes to that, this book was super fun. I enjoyed it a lot, and I’m not only talking about the scenes between River and Ellison (which were intense and hot and authentic in the best way) — it was amazing, and very refreshin
Annery
***4.5***

Periodically, as in on a weekly basis, I troll around Audible listening to samples and saving to Wish List books just because of the narrator. Every so often it pays out in spades. It brought me to this story. I loved it.

In most instances I'd be tempted to say that the fantastic narration by Michael Fell solely sold me on the story but that would be disingenuous to say the least. Casey Cameron is a NTM author and based on this outing we'll become more closely acquainted in the future.
Chris
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a real journey of self discovery. All from the POV of River, his thoughts, fears and anxieties were shared as he discovered what made him tick. He realized his ideas and misconceptions about BDSM were exactly that, and he slowly stepped into this world with strong support and guidance from Ellison. His connection with Ellison was beautiful and it was great that the author took the time to allow the story to unfold- this was not rushed. Their love was unique and I’m so glad it wasn’t an ...more
AussieMum
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 - 4 stars
This was interesting and gave me a different viewpoint to a BDSM relationship that I hadn't read before, but ultimately I thought it was missing something.

River writes an online fantasy/sci-fi comic and he's copping some flack on social media in regards to power dynamics, etc... of some of his characters. For research, his kinky friend, Mariah, takes him to a BDSM party to expand his horizons and gain some experience in order to help make his comic better (and maybe find his kinky
JD Crittendon
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love of the Messy Bits, Too!

This is a somewhat unsettling but intriguing tale about a neurotic, online comic book Artist River Burke & Dom, Professor Ellison Fitch who meets at a Speed Kink Night party. Initially, for most of the story, I was leery of machiavellian-ish Ellison’s character towards messy but lovable River. However, I had to remind myself that there’s a HEA ending to this story. It’s a well-written with good pacing and interesting co-characters yarn. It’s also a psychological BDSM
Kirsten
Aug 21, 2022 rated it liked it
Shelves: sh-challenge
Pretty hardcore kink
without enough connection.
Wish it were better.
Gabbi Grey
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Realistic BDSM Portrayal and Emotional Ride (audiobook review)

This review is a long time coming and I’m still not convinced I’m up to the task.  My instinct is to write more of an academic paper, but that’s not why I’m here.  My job is to tell you all the things I loved (and didn’t) about the book so you can make an informed decision about whether this is a book you might want to listen to.  So, here goes.

I have listened to this book twice and could easily, in a heartbeat, listen to it again and
nagel__bagel
I knew I was going to love this book from about 2% when the MMC laughs at himself during the meet-cute and says "well, I've had a lot of therapy." This book was like a dream come true.

"Maybe this was a way I could learn more about myself and have some fun getting laid at the same time. Maybe I'd find my true self under a Dom's firm hand. Or maybe I'd just spend a lot of time getting whipped and wishing I was watching TV instead. But at least I'd know(21)."

✅ exploration of sex made meaningful vi
ancientreader
I loved this book. River and Ellison appealed to me enormously -- River with his anxieties, his OCD, his loving heart, & his courage; Ellison with his insight, his kindness, & his care. The sex scenes are among the most intense & hottest I've ever read, and the moments when they each find their limits & the other responds to their distress left me kind of choked up. Also, Casey Cameron writes well, and I don't mean just in the sex scenes. I'm shoving this book at all my kinky friends.

I'm somewha
caroline wilson
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the author for a honest opinion

I loved this book it gripped me from the start which has got me out of a boredom rut where books just haven't been able to interest me at the moment. I loved the characters portrayed in this book from River a curious submissive exploring his way through all the intricacies of BDSM and what works for him as well as how he deals with his little quirks of ocd and his insecurities.
Ellison is also a good character who becomes Rivers Dom, he's
Sandy
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't even begin to describe how good this book is. Absolutely amazing, well-rounded, unique and engaging characters. Not just the two main characters, but every one of the side characters as well.

I love that River's OCD isn't just mentioned as a throw-away feature of the character, but is an integral part of the story. The way he and Ellison navigate dealing with it is both healthy and empowering. The impact it has on his life isn't sugarcoated, but it also doesn't define him.

The D/s dynami
Allison
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ku, audio, 2019
4.5 stars that would have been five if not for a single scene of emotional manipulation that was so out of place that I can't understand what it is doing in an otherwise sensitive book.

This book is really gorgeous, it's so respectful of basically everything which is why I'm so upset by the one time that it wasn't. There are a lot of issues and different identities in this book, and they are all treated with respect which is so nice to see.

River has a lot of things he deals with, including real
Terri Jones
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This easily earns all five stars from me. I loved the slow progression of River and Ellison's connection. I loved how River's anxieties shaped his reactions, and his needs. I loved that it's all River's perspective. I laughed, and I cried. I cried quite a lot. Casey Cameron lands those emotional punches.

I adored River's friends. I want one of each. Seriously.

Though I'm not into BDSM, I've learned a lot this past decade (friends, and research). River's experiences felt right. And!!! Unlike some
John-Torleif  Harris
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
River and Ellison were a bit of a hard pairing for me to get into. I think that it was mainly because we experienced everything through River's POV and Ellison was so stoic and emotionally flat at the beginning of the story, that I didn't quite believe the strength of his feelings when they surfaced (at least at first). I really would have loved to understand what it was that Ellison was scared of when he though of expressing his feelings - and what experiences of his led to that fear.

I did real
Nessa
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This review is being written right after I finished this book, because the feelings I'm experiencing are that intense. This book describes the initial BDSM experience and what could go wrong almost perfectly, at least based on what I've experienced. There are some triggers in this book that are expertly handled and addressed, and I give huge kudos to Casey Cameron for writing such an emotionally charged book.

I honestly didn't know what this book was about before reading it. I've read so many ot
Becky
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, and I'm not a regular reader of BDSM. The first quarter was good, the middle half dragged a bit for me as it felt a bit repetitive of River wanting to try something, it not working as he thought/wanted, doing another, then another... although if you read a lot of BDSM will probably hook you in more than it did me, but the last quarter was simply sublime. I was definitely more interested in River and Ellison more than the copious amount of sex, and I was a little unsure of how the ...more
Ed Davis
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my god, I loved this book. I really should have hated it because River was such a crazy nut case. I usually hate neurotic characters like him. It’s funny because I was a special ed teacher and I was a complete champion for my students. Anyway, there was something about River that made me love him. Ellison was the perfect dom. I have to admit this book made me cry. A good kind of cry.

I’m going to check out other books by Casey Cameron.
Amber
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Truth By His Hand by Casey Cameron. I loved Ellison and River. River's an artist with a comic strip. But he keeps getting flack from his readers about some of the BDSM elements and situations that he has his characters in and how it doesn't accurately portray the real BDSM lifestyle. To get a better idea of the BDSM lifestyle and to more accurately write his comic and also to appease his own curiosity and desires, he goes to a speed kink dating event to find a Dom. He's played around wit ...more
Bizzy
The first two-thirds of this were a 5/5, and the last two-thirds were a 2/5. Cameron does such a great job creating a character with a realistic version of social anxiety and then completely fails to show how the romantic relationship between the MCs is set up to handle that anxiety in a healthy way going forward.

(view spoiler)
AyoDollFace
I received this book in advance for an honest review.

This was a well written book with minor editing errors.

This is a story about a man taking a trip on the wild side of the BDSM world. A sub lookin for the right Dom to show him what he craves for personal as well as professional research.

The chemistry between these two was great but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I had dual POV's. I've never been a fan of single POV's, it makes me feel like I'm missing a huge part of the book when I d
Shelba
Nov 11, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, 2021
I don’t think I realized how encompassing the BDSM would be in this… it’s not just a part of the story, it is the story.

And as well written as the story was and as much as I liked the characters, I don’t really care for BDSM. I don’t dislike it, I just have pretty much zero interest in it, so at times this was a bit of a chore to read.

I was hoping I was nearing the end and realized I was only 48% in. I debated taking a break and reading something else before coming back to it. And I debated DNFi
Jolene
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully ecstatic!!!!

4.5 beautiful stars. I loved this story, River is no broken boy, just a neurotic mess who needed a bit more to feel complete. The kink in this book were all achievable and didn’t feel forced. Ellison’s power captured every bit of my attention and made me greedy for more. Well done
Mimi
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Did not finish

This book just wasn't for me. I really tried to push through but just couldn't. I like the BDSM genre and can push through some of the rougher (storylines) but not this one. I did like River's cute banter. He made me laugh.
Lenaya
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bdsm, fave-author
Yay a new favorite author! I loved feeling as if I were engaged with a realistic version of a BDSM community . There is a special place in my heart for the sex nerd approach to the lifestyle, being one myself.
One of my major pet peeves about BDSM romances, is that the vast majority of writers in the genre have zero clue about how to write submissive characters. They often get the doms wrong as well, but disregarding the 'romance hero accoutrement' (huge, hot and hunky with billions of dollars a
Megan
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by this author after a few attempts to sign up for ARCs prior to this one. I was surprised to enjoy this book as much as I did. Not because of the author's voice, but rather because BDSM is something that I don't read very often due to the fact that I just don't care for this particular element of personality and/or sexuality. The synopsis, however, was intriguing because there was something so innocent and interesting about River's self-discovery. That there was almost a p ...more
M.
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, hea, dom-sub, mm
This book is beautifully written. The 2 MCs River and Ellison are... I’m not able to come up with a word(s) that will do them justice. The supporting characters Tea and Mariah are just as amazing.

I think I’ll read the book again to write this review.

UPDATE:
It’s been weeks and I still think of this book.
Amber
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Hearts

Wow, I really liked this story. I’m really surprised because several reviews mentioned a lot of internal dialogue and that usually bothers me so much. I don’t know. There was something so endearing about River. He is neurotic and does fuss and worry but it was sweet and I liked it. The story was also really funny and I wasn’t expecting that either. The characters; their kink, interactions, relationships, and just overall comfort with each other I really enjoyed.

River Burke is on a kink
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Hurt Me, Daddy (The Brat & The Beast Duet #1)
  • Just a Bit Heartless (Straight Guys, #13)
  • One Man's Trash (The Heretic Doms Club, #1)
  • Axel's Pup (Werewolves & Dragons, #1)
  • Blood Sports (The Hanged Men, #1)
  • Finding Finley
  • Hostile Takeover (The Game #8)
  • A Collar For His Brat: Season One Collection
  • Mad Love (Dangerous Daddies, #1)
  • A Kidnapping (Under His Heel, #2)
  • Firm Hand (Perfect Hands, #1)
  • Out of Control (North Shore Stories, #3)
  • Grumpy Bear (Bear Camp, #1)
  • We Have Till Dawn (We Have Till Dawn, #1)
  • Jam Packed (Destination Daddies)
  • Caring for Little Ollie (Different Hearts, #1)
  • His Boy Next Door: Season One (His Boy Next Door #1-12)
  • Love Language (Love Language, #1)
LGBT > Gay