Start by marking “Across the Fourwinds (The Maidstone Chronicles Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Across the Fourwinds (The Maidstone Chronicles Book 1)

Across the Fourwinds

(The Maidstone Chronicles #1)

Is it possible to change the world for good without destroying your enemies?
Will and Morgan begin an epic, action-packed journey across a magical realm to find out.

"...a story of mystery and fantasy with memorable scenes and characters that will remain etched in the memories of readers." - Readers' Favorite

Will Owens is an orphaned teenager with a unique ability that h
Published August 24th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Across the Fourwinds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Across the Fourwinds

Start your review of Across the Fourwinds (The Maidstone Chronicles Book 1)
Shirley Revill
Thank you to the author and Goodreads for a copy of this book I really enjoyed the story.
Very well written and very hard to put down. I will be looking for more from this author.
Storytelling at it's best. Recommended.
Jodie Callen
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as part of a goodreads first reads giveaway.
First off I really enjoyed this book, in particular I liked the flow of the story, things weren't written in a convoluted way, events progressed organically and things that needed explaining were done so in a believable manner.
The way the characters were introduced and described left a lot to the individual readers imagination (expect for Morgan who you are repeatedly reminded that she is hot)
The way the two worlds (or the future)
Ashley Noelle Lewis
This is the beginning of Morgan and Will's adventure. They fall through a portal to a new world and learn that they have to help save the new realm in order to save their own.

I loved how this story starts off in our world and shifts into a fantasy world. The characters are likeable but not perfect and have some pretty decent development that I think will progress nicely throughout the series. There was really no slow part in this novel. It was action packed pretty much from the start and kept u
Felicia Allen
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Total cliffhanger of an ending! I loved this story. It either takes place in the future or past or some parallel world. Will and Morgan end up falling into this other world. In order to get back to theirs, they have to stop the evil queen. This book was action packed, had love, and adventure. I loved the descriptions of the unique creatures and can't wait until the second one!
Edward Lazellari
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book One of The Maidstone Chronicles, Across The Fourwinds, is a thoroughly enjoyable fantasy adventure in the same spirit of the Dragonlance books by Weiss and Hickman. Although the books are geared toward a young adult audience (PG rated story), there's enough here for adults of all ages to identify with.

There are four main characters in the story: Morgan, Will, Rowe, and Bremmer, and after a rocky start in the first few chapters (it was hard to believe Morgan would take to Will so quickly the
Shannon Rohrer
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
An intriguing portal fantasy.

Across the Fourwinds gives me Narnia vibes, only with the grown-up themes of fairly graphic violence that often run rampant in Adult Fantasy (such as what you find in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series--only less so).

The environmental details were lush, the characters were fleshed out fairly well, and the plot was engaging, beginning to end; so much so, that I hope to read the sequel, if/when it ever comes out.

I did have some minor complaints here a
Shannon Rupp
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Across the Fourwinds is a fantasy novel that starts off in a small town in modern day Canada but quickly moves into an adventure in what appears to be a completely different realm called the Fourwinds. The reader is introduced to two of the main characters in the story, Morgan, a fencing world champion, and Will, a quiet but bright young man who can see things that those around him cannot.

At first the story starts off slowly as the authors try to introduce the reader to the backgrounds of the m
Cristina
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Not my cup of tea. The plot was interesting enough, had good character development, and the story is very original. I usually enjoy fantasy stories like this but something about it just kept me from being drawn in. The author uses a lot of really strange metaphors and at times the story seems kind of forced (not sure how to explain this). There are some graphic descriptions of violence which I do NOT enjoy. Sad to say I just couldn't sit down with this book for long stretches of time so it becam ...more
Kat
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morgan finds a sword that calls to her in her attic. Will can see creatures no one else can. When the world becomes too strange and unsafe, they find themselves tumbling into another world where life suddenly starts to make a whole lot more sense. Feeling more at home there than in their own, they join up with Rowe, a Callum Sage protecting the portal between the two worlds, in his journey into the heart of the Dark Queen’s realm to rescue a valuable general.

I really, really wanted to love this
Anna Maria
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020

I struggled a lot with this book in the beginning but it slowly grew on me and I was hooked enough around 50%. As I was reading it, I thought I was going to rate it 3 stars but after I finished it, I thought, well I did end up having a good time, why not give it a 4? So yes, I enjoyed a good chunk of the book, there are thought some things that I'd like to talk about.

A rushed beginning
The book starts with Morgan and Will at our current time on earth and then it moves on Fourwinds the fantasy pl
Sara Lawson
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Across the Fourwinds was one of the most unique books I've read in some time. It began with two high schoolers with two different sets of problems. Morgan, a champion fencer, worries that her father is growing increasingly violent and abusive toward her mother. Her father is a pastor who had always been loving and patient, but suddenly changed when they moved to a new town. Will's parents are both dead and he has become the town outcast, since, well, he sees monsters which no one else can see.

A
Liesbeth
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I always like stories that start in our known modern life and continues into another realm where you find mythical creatures and so on. This leaves an open a portal for you to explore things that can't exist in our modern world.

In the first few chapters you get a glimpse of Will's world and Morgan's world where they are confronted with a magical past they didn't know existed. They live in a small village in Cana
Gordon Long
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t like to start a review with a negative, but the story begins with a problem, so here goes.

This novel has a standard YA Fantasy plotline in which a pair of teenagers are transported into a magical world where they have extraordinary powers and must use them to save both worlds from evil beings intent on destruction. The difficulty with these stories is the two complete settings. The author is tempted to give too much information about the situation in the real world in the first chapter.
Catherine
Mar 24, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: This was given to me as an ARC which in no way influences my opinions of this book.

DNF at 38%.

I really wanted to like this, but there were so many things that just did not work for me.

1. There isn't enough description and explanation of things - it's mostly dialogue. That works in film but in books you need context of surroundings, of feelings, intuition, emotions, and so on. This was lacking all of those elements in waves.

2. It was choppy and at times didn't make sense, either in co
Jade
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book deserves a 3.5-3.8.
At the beginning, I was not captivated by the characters nor the story being told. Not so much their personality, rather their dialogue. When they spoke, I never felt into it. Everything they said wasn't realistic in a situation and things moved too quickly for it to be believable. Some of the descriptions given weren't exactly "working". I knew what was going on, but I couldn't feel their anger, sadness, and confusion.
That being said, I slowly fell in love with th
Halez
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was able to get a free copy of this book from BookSirens in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the authors, publisher, and BookSirens!

This is kind of a weird one for me. To be honest, I had some problems, and didn't love the writing in some places. In spite of this, I was still really interested in what would happen next!

Some of the dialogue felt weird, especially for kids their age. In fact, a lot of things about them seemed weird for kids their age. I didn't feel any connection betw
bookish_inf
The story is fast paced and action filled, thus not a boring read. The world of the Fourwinds sounds like a vast and interesting place. Taking that into account, I found a lot of it hard to follow. While a lot of descriptive language is used, it remains a tad confusing and the story unfolds very quickly. The main characters are extremely relaxed about their situation and this, for me, was a bit underwhelming. The different creatures present could also use more clarification. The mixture of mythi ...more
Emma
I ecieved a free copy of this book via booksirens in exchange for an honest review.

I am finding this review hard to write. I found the first 20% very boring and not very exciting. Once they get into fourwinds, it gets a little more exciting. The reason I am finding this hard to write is that I cannot find any reason for not liking this book, it's mainly personal preference. The writing style was good but I really struggled to pick it back up once I had put it down.

The characters were good, I wou
Ann
This fantasy YA novel picks up steam as the narrative progresses. As the first in a series, it must introduce its magical world while advancing its epic adventure. It starts out awkwardly, with some overwriting, stilted dialog, and unearned hero points for the seemingly "chosen one" character, but picks up with the action, when the main characters begin their quest in earnest. I'm curious to see how the Maidstone Chronicles develop. For future books in the series, I hope the strong female charac ...more
Kait-Lynn Gooch
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lent this book from someone, and started it a handful of times (kept losing my place) after you get through a tad of a slow start it really picks up. The story flows really well after chapter 3 to the point you just want to know what happens next. The evolution of Characters in the first few chapters of their adventure is really well written. I will recommend Googling Cochrane Ontario to see the Map (I am from the area) it really helps you imagine the area, and allows more of a mind visual ...more
Sara
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Across the Fourwinds is a very entertaining book that held my interest throughout. Whilst i would argue that it leans more toward a thriller, which is not usually my cup of tea, i think it was a cracking read.
There are some really interesting themes in the story that i feel the author explored well and i found the action sequences to be very engaging.

I did find there to be a tiny bit of pacing issues during the "real world" to "Fantasy world" transition but ultimately i really enjoyed this boo
Sherry Christenson
Entertaining throughout the entire book. Definitely a lot going on so I did have to re read in a few places to keep everything straight as there is all kinds of creatures. Unique story that had me comparing it to the Shannara Chronicles. Morgan and will are both great characters as are all of them. It’s a wild ride and I loved it
I received an advance review copy in exchange for an honest review
Ty
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first starting reading this book I was intrigued by will and his soon to come adventure. But after seeing how every character effected the story differently, in such a big way made me want to read more. Over all this book was great, one if not my favourite book I have read so far and can’t wair for the next one.
Lizz Taylor
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed being transported to the Fourwinds with Morgan and Will. I liked the character development and the journey. There was a lot of action which made it hard for me to put down the book. It was one of those "just one more chapter" books for me. I am looking forward to reading the second book in the series.
Michelle C
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I would give this three stars. The plot was really interesting and I liked the characters a lot. Some parts were a little confusing with a plot jump or a characters line of thinking. By the end though I was really invested and I would definitely read a second installment!!
Jackie
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will and Morgan are fabulous characters that make this story strong. Will is a loner until he meets Morgan. They realize they hold the fate of two worlds in their hands and this is definitely not simple. Superb.
Kathleen Lierop
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though this isn't my usual genre to read, I liked it very much due to the story and due to the lay-out of the book. The book is very well written and was difficult to put it down. Thank you BookSirens for the free copy!
Carlynne Toomey
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story with great, well developed characters and a very imaginative story world. If you are a fan of high fantasy like Tolkien or Robert Jordan, you will like this book. I highly recommend it!

Neil
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

This is a great action packed fantasy.
The characters are well developed and the way they interact makes for a highly enjoyable read.
Susan Harner
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I normally don't read sci fi books but this caught and gels my attention with each turn of the page.Across The Fourwinds was an amazing spellbinding story. Well written loved everything about this book.

• The Secrets of Hawthorne House
  • Cryptofauna
  • 鬼滅の刃 1 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 1]
  • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight (Woven in Moonlight, #1)
  • The Poison Garden
  • The Jane Austen Society
  • Curse of the Healing Kiss
  • Killer Domes and the Chosen One
  • Max and the Multiverse (Max and the Multiverse #1)
  • The Council (Witch's Ambitions Trilogy #1)
  • Black Dog of Fate: An American Son Uncovers His Armenian Past
  • The Cozy Corgi Cozy Mysteries, Collection One (Cozy Corgi Mysteries #1-3)
  • Time Dancers: And Other Fantastical Tales
  • Doing Time (The Time Police #1)
  • The Redpoint Crux
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
For as long as I can remember, I've had the soul of a gypsy. Having lived in Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba, Alberta, British Columbia, and Haiti, I seem most comfortable when there's change brewing on the horizon.

My adventure into the world of writing began just as my life was coming to an end, or at least it seemed that way for a time. When I was 15, I was diagnosed with Recurrent Idiopathic Pericar

The Maidstone Chronicles (2 books)
  • Beyond the Hollowtangle (The Maidstone Chronicles, #2)