Start by marking “The Once and Future Queen: Guinevere in Arthurian Legend” as Want to Read:
The Once and Future Queen: Guinevere in Arthurian Legend

The Once and Future Queen: Guinevere in Arthurian Legend

Guinevere’s journey from literary sinner to feminist icon took over one thousand years…and it’s not over yet.

Literature tells us painfully little about Guinevere, mostly focusing on her sin and betrayal of Arthur and Camelot. As a result, she is often seen as a one-dimensional character. But there is more to her story. By examining popular works of more than 20
Published November 21st 2017 by Lawson Gartner Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Once and Future Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Once and Future Queen

Start your review of The Once and Future Queen: Guinevere in Arthurian Legend
Alex Bledsoe
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read a lot of Arthurian non-fiction, including other books on Guinevere, but this was the first that tracked the chronological changes in her presentation from the earliest mentions to date. Seeing the way society viewed this queen in various eras helps understand how they viewed the Arthurian story as a whole. Of interest are the changes that occur once female writers begin telling her story, giving her a voice denied by centuries of male-dominated literature. The book is also written very ...more
Nicole Evelina
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: read-nonfiction
THIS IS NOT MY OWN REVIEW. POSTING FOR LIZ KONKEL OF READER'S FAVORITE.

The Once and Future Queen: Guinevere in Arthurian Legend by Nicole Evelina explores the origins of one of literature's most legendary queens. Arthur's wife and queen of Camelot has seen several changes which are often interpreted as a result of the time period. Diving into the myths and literature, Evelina explores Guinevere in every connotation from adultery to witchcraft to her role as a feminist icon. The autho
Andrea Stoeckel
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The timeless universality of the themes in the Arthurian legend might also account for the continuing attraction. No matter the year, love, loyalty, might versus right, betrayal, and equality are part of our lives."

Geunivere: saint, or sinner? Model wife or feminist? Historical or fantasy metaphor? Nicole Evanilina's seminal overview of both fiction and fact is a lot to take in as she visits and revisits the historical record of the woman known as Guenivere, a chess piece of both ro
Tammy Lough
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Clearly a 5-Star worthy book. I highly recommend Nicole Evelina's newest, meticulously researched book describing the life of Guinevere. Much has been written about this woman, many truths, and quite a few myths. Nicole reveals both and turns this woman's remarkable life into a turn-the-page account. I believe that somehow, this author managed to dig up every truth and rumor told about this multi-faceted Medieval woman and weaved the account like a painter of words. Excellent!
Linda Smith
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nicole Evelina clearly adores Arthurian legend and this book stands as a tribute to Arthur's queen, Guineviere. This meticulously well researched book contains info gleaned from a ton of sources.
This could easily be a companion read to Evelina`s previous novels about Guineviere; Daughter of Destiny and Camelot`s Queen. She has a third novel in the series arriving this Spring (which I am so anxious to read).
Fans of Arthurian lore will gleefully absorb every tidbit in this book.
Samantha
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this book through the Goodreads giveaway program. This book was an analysis of Guinevere through literature. It wasn't quite what I was expected, but I found it a very educational book. I'm honestly not that familiar with Guinevere so this definitely broadened my base of knowledge.
Christie Sitterly
This book provides everything you ever wanted to know about Guinevere, and more! Author, Nicole Evelina, has scoured many scattered and slim resources to provide the reader with one source of information about the legendary wife of King Arthur. And, even better, the book does not read like a boring nonfiction work. It flows extremely well and is interesting, to boot!
Greyscotty
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I must start by thanking Nicole and my stepdaughter for turning me onto this superb book. I have long been a follower of Arthurian lore & legend and find anything I can get my hands on most desirable. To read specifically about Guinevere and the many roles that have been assigned to her over the past millennium-and-a-half was definitely a dream come true for me. I must say I have, for most of my life, seen her as the quintessential women's champion; even when others - mostly male authors and ...more
Selaya Morton
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
So much detail and lots to think about. The idea of a multitude of "Guineveres" of varying moral and personal demeanours is definitely tantalizing. To see all the different ways that this historical(?) character has been treated and written over the centuries was a complete eye-opener for me. I agree completely with the notion that early renderings were most decidedly penned by Christian devotees and they, as always, only had their own self-interest at heart; namely, the perpetuation of "their" ...more
Pat Wahler
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As someone who thoroughly enjoyed the musical play Camelot, I looked forward to discovering more about the character of Guinevere. I found that after reading this book, it will be impossible for me to think about Guinevere in the same way again.

Nicole Evelina has written a well-researched but highly readable volume tracing the evolution of Guinevere in literature. I enjoyed learning about the societal norms that contributed to each author's portrayal of Guinevere, and how this change
gj indieBRAG
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that +THE ONCE AND FUTURE QUEEN: Guinevere in Arthurian Legend by Nicole Evelina is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

This is a powerful analysis of Guinevere!

Read full review in the 2018 June issue of InD'tale Magazine.

Jim Swike
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well researched book about Guinevere in Legend and Literature. Very interesting, a great reference for those interested in the Middle Ages and Literature. Enjoy!
Lettyann Pullman-weber
Jul 31, 2019
Amanda
Jun 06, 2018 added it
"This is a powerful analysis of Guinevere." Check out the rest of the review at: http://magazine.indtale.com/magazine/...
Bob
Feb 10, 2018
Liz
Nov 17, 2017
Claire
Nov 23, 2017 added it
I bought this because I've read the other two Guinevere novels by Nicole and loved them, I was expecting this to be book 3 and it most certainly isn't. What it is however is a carefully research account of how the character of Guinevere has developed since the earliest surviving stories up to the modern revival. It's well structured, easy to read and very interesting.

I received and Advanced Readers Copy of this book at my request and I voluntarily wrote this review.
Jenny Barber
Heather Hess
Debee Sue
Sarah Pick
Nov 27, 2017

• Hammered (Jenny Casey, #1)
  • The Books of Faerie
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 1: Bindings
  • The Books of Magic
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 2: Summonings
  • Backpacker Points and the Quest for Aunt Sheila: one girl's travels, tips and tricks
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • New X-Men, Volume 4: Riot at Xavier's
  • New X-Men, Volume 1: E Is for Extinction
  • New X-Men, Volume 6: Planet X
  • New X-Men, Volume 7: Here Comes Tomorrow
  • New X-Men, Volume 3: New Worlds
  • New X-Men, Volume 2: Imperial
  • New X-Men, Volume 5: Assault on Weapon Plus
  • The Road to Little Dribbling: Adventures of an American in Britain
  • The Tea Master and the Detective (The Universe of Xuya)
  • Notes from a Small Island
  • A Song for Quiet (Persons Non Grata, #2)
Nicole Evelina is a USA Today bestselling author of historical fiction, non-fiction, and women’s fiction whose six books have won more than 40 awards, including three Book of the Year designations. The TV/movie option for her book Madame Presidentess, was recently acquired by Fortitude International.

Nicole was named Missouri’s Top Independent Author by Library Journal and Biblioboard as the winne