Start by marking “Mine to Keep” as Want to Read:
Mine to Keep

Mine to Keep

Erin Carter is alone. Plagued by childhood nightmares since the loss of her mother, she embarks on a journey to trace her father, hoping to find some semblance of family and put the darkness to rest. A tentative thread leads her to Hopetoun, in rural Scotland, and the welcoming Cornfield Castle.
There she meets Abigail Miller, the castle chef, who quickly becomes her
Paperback, First
Published October 18th 2017 by Ylva Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Mine to Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mine to Keep

Start your review of Mine to Keep
Lex Kent
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This was the first book that I have read by Hudson. It was okay, but didn’t really live up to my expectations. This is a romance-thriller, but for my personal tastes, it did not have enough thriller in it.

I think Hudson writes well, I just didn’t care for some of her storyline choices. My biggest issue with this book is you could see everything coming. It was like the book was following a formula about how things would play out. There were no surprises or heart thumping moments that
Bugs
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know I should have read this book earlier especially with an irresistible cover like this one (more about this and the title later!) and because I thought "Four Steps" was a brilliant debut effort by Wendy Hudson, which put her on my radar in the world of lesfic reading. But for some reason, I thought I'd read it all this time until I happened to review my reading queue and surprise sur-bloody-prise, "Mine To Keep" was still sitting there staring at me with that bloody mesmerising cover taunti ...more
Jane Shambler
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book kind of caught me off guard. You get dropped in at the deep end. You don't really know what is going on and I guess it's sink or swim. Erin has just lost her mother and has come to Hopetoun looking for her father. She has a sketchy memory of him as she hasn't seen him since she was a child. Her mother took her and ran from him as he was abusive to them both.

The hotel where she is staying is run by a sister and brother Abby and Charlie. Abby is the chef and Charlie is kind o
Gaby LezReviewBooks
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Three things made me read this book: its cover, the title and Ms. Hudson's excellent debut novel 'Four steps'. So I had high expectations that unfortunately didn't quite deliver for me. 'Mine to keep' is a romantic suspense with the romance sweet and tender but the suspense quite predictable. Because the reader can guess where the plot is heading, there is more a question of when rather than if things are going to turn for the worse. This can work for some readers but, personally, I prefer thril ...more
Ted
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF'd around the 75-80% mark. This book died in my hands around the 50% mark with the stupid ex drama. Then the violence hit and I couldn't care what happened after that. Shame really as her first book Four Steps I *really* liked.
Tiff
I like the idea of a romantic thriller, and when done right you have two amazing genres converging for those final moments to keep you riveted to your seat. Will the heroines survive the vicious maniac and live happily ever after? Gripping, right? In my very humble opinion, you need those two plots points to be really tightly woven. The romance needs to pull in the reader. That couple has to ring true, their love must conquer all. The thriller part needs to increase your anxiety level, get the b ...more
Liz
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, ylva
I had high expectations for this second novel, after enjoying the excellent 4 steps. The opening to the story was great, but for me it fell short on the thriller side of the story. I love thrillers, but I found the lack of suspense not to my personal taste. It was also very predictable how the situation with Erin and her father was going to play out. I did also find the reveal about Abby's brother George at the end not very believable.

This is really a sweet romance story, well written with good
Jane Clements
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbian, thriller
3.5 stars rounded up.

Mine To Keep has a good plot, but I felt the book doesn’t quite fulfil its potential. For a thriller, there’s not enough suspense – or maybe it’s more that the level of suspense I’ve come to expect from a thriller wasn’t reached. It become clear fairly early on in the story what would transpire between Erin and her father, but when it happened I didn’t really feel the anticipation, fear or panic. Perhaps that’s just me though.

The romance is handled much better./>Mine
MiskaCZ
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this ARC from ylva for my honest review.

This is a my first book from W. Hudson. The main character Erin is about to find out about her past and her father.

I didnthave any expectation but after the first chapter I couldnt lay the book away. Yes, it is somewhat clear, what will happen, but I liked the storyline and the slowly building relationship between Erin and Abby (the other main character).

I must confess, that some place in the book are really disturbing, but so is t
Jasmine
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Erin comes to a rural town in Scotland looking for her father, who she hasn't seen since she was a child. She's staying at Cornfeild Castle where she meets Abigail, chef and daughter of the owners. Their attraction is immediate. But something more sinister and dangerous lurks in the shadows around the village and threatens to turn Erin's life upside down.

I was slightly disappointed i this book because the author's first novel was so incredible. I think this one was just a tad too short to do ju
Kay Sillars
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Four Steps so was very excited about reading Mine to keep and I wasn't disappointed. It is a very different book from the first: less of a crime novel more of a scary romance. It was a relief to find that she has other stories to tell and didn't produce a rehash of the first.

In the first novel I was rushing to get to the end to find out what happened, this time I found myself turning pages slowly with dread, worried about how it was all going to end. Its an odd feeling to actually start
Amanda
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Hudson. I somehow missed her first book. However, I can’t wait to pick it up now. I’m an instant fan and look forward to seeing what she writes in the future. Once I started this book, I had a hard time putting it down to take care of things needing finished. Hudson is an awesome writer, and the book is well done. This isn’t surprising as YLVA always delivers well written books. I do not typically seek out suspenseful reads, but for me this was more than enough to keep m ...more
Aj Smith
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
While I enjoyed this book, it was more troubling than Ms Hudson's previous novel, Four Steps, not just in terms of its subject matter but in how it's dealt with by the author. At the moment, rather than writing a review, I'd prefer to hash out my thoughts on the ending and epilogue...but that would be just a touch self-serving and not exactly fair on anyone who decided to read this!

So, basically Erin is off in search of her estranged father despite the fact that her mother fled from him (t
Betty BoomBa
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Not what I expected at all. I was looking forward to some grand thriller after all the hype from 4 steps. The cover looks enticing, the title is good, the story is very... OK.
I expected a thriller, but it isn't much of one. And what is there - not much - is incredibly predictable. The latter part of the thriller part also didn't work for me, for a baddie who is so careful, the ending is rather careless and unbelieveble. So it did not do it for me on that score.
On the whole this is essenti
Colleen Corgel
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, lgbt, 2017-new-reads
Ylva is not afraid to let their authors talk about more difficult topics. And the authors, for the most part excel at this. Wendy Hudson, whose debut novel I haven't gotten my hands on, has written a thoroughly entertaining read.

Erin is a great character, and I like that we meet her as she is - messed up, angry, and sad over the loss of her mother. Hudson doesn't judge Erin for running all over the UK trying to find her estranged dad, she just let's her do the work. So, while Erin is staying at
Andrea
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an ARC from Ylva in exchange for a honest review

It has a good plot and good characters but the thriller part of the book is too predictable but no surprises. The romance falls a bit short and there are a few storylines that don’t completely line up and are left in the end.
All in all it wa a good story idea but it was too predicable.
susan
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page turning thriller...

This the first book I have read of this author's. All I can tell is this thriller had me hooked from page one. This is definitely a nail biter on the edge of your seat book. The characters were believable and great. I definitely recommend this book.
Kexx
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
kept me engaged all down the line - liked both main characters & brought into the back cast. Got a bit picky towards the end - is there a follow-up? I hope not as that'll mean more angst! 1st I've read of her's...
Lynsey Duguid
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant book from Wendy Hudson. A sweet romance with lovable characters, and some edgy suspense thrown in for good measure. I didn't put it down for a second until it was finished!

I love the writing style of this author which is consistent with her first release 'Four Steps'. The pace of the storytelling is perfect, with everything coming to a gripping head at the end.

I was sad to say goodbye to the characters who by the end, I felt I had really got to know. I cannot wait
A.J. Schippers
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mine to Keep was the first book of Wendy Hudson that I've read, but it most definitely will not be my last.

From the very first page Hudson paints a beautiful picture that you just cannot look away from. We start our story with Erin Carter. She's on a journey to find her father and some peace of mind. Erin isn't your typical lesbian character, or at least she didn't feel like one to me. Erin is angry, quiet, reserved and doesn't speak much.

I like that Abigail lets Erin be Erin. She isn't active
Fiona Montgomery
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mine to Keep, the brilliant second novel from Wendy Hudson, is a fast-paced romance, set utterly believably in a castle with a fairy-tale tower. Erin Carter arrives at the imposing hotel after a prologue that lets us know, in true Taggart-style, that ‘there’s been a murder.’ But Erin doesn’t know that.

A teacher, she’s starting her summer holiday with an open-ended booking at Cornfield Castle, determined to track down her father, who’s been out of her life since she was little. Chef A
Jeannette Rodriguez
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I honestly found this book hard to get through. It wasn't until the last few chapters that the suspense kicked up and a flew through the book.

Mine to Keep is about a woman named Erin who goes to stay at a castle while looking for her father. At the castle she meets Abby and George, who are siblings. The three of them quickly become friends and Erin and Abby even more. While searching for her father, Erin hears the stories about a man named Eddie but the stories are all a little different. Could
Adrian
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Wendy Hudson has quite the gift for startling me-as I was reading the prologue for this volume, absorbed in the seemingly perfect idyll of a young family, the direction that I was anticipating for the mystery to evolve was dramatically shifted by the destruction wrought by Eddie. I found the relationship between the protagonists to be a secondary plot consideration to the cycle of grief, depression and searching that Erin was absorbed in for most of the novel. That was disappointing, as both wom ...more
Danie
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, 2017
I was given this ARC by the publisher in exchange for an Honest Review.

I wouldn't quite call this a thriller. The very beginning scene takes the thriller part out of the equation. But holy moly it's definitely a suspense book. Yikes.

From the very beginning, I was wondering 'what exactly is going to happen', 'when is it going to happen', etc. And when we first meet Erin and hear about her quest I literally said out loud, 'Oh Crap.' Heh.

Erin is staying at a Scot
Becca
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbian-bi
*Note: I was provided with a free copy of the book by Ylva Publishing in exchange for a fair review

(Just a heads-up: if abusive father figures aren’t your jam, you’re probably going to want to skip this one.)

The narrative structure of “Mine to Keep” weaves between two separate—but connected—points of view. It really keeps the reader engaged, trying to figure out precisely how they’re related.

A majority of the plot takes place in Erin’s point of view, which I p
Kitty McIntosh
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When maths teacher Erin books into a Scottish Castle hotel with a plan to research her difficult past she sets off a chain of events that had me hiding behind the metaphorical sofa. Nightmares from her childhood begin to resurface, causing her to question the path she has taken. Meeting gorgeous chef Abby and her brother George brings some light and the hope of something more. I enjoyed the blossoming relationship between Erin and Abby. It was sweet and romantic with a fair bit of heat. Of cours ...more
Tiffany Shamaly
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So this was my first Wendy Hudson book. So of course after I finished this one I went out and purchased her first book. So I didn't know that this was going to be a mystery/thriller romance book but I was very happy. It was so good. The mystery/thriller portion was interesting and engaging and creepy. The romance was also so great. While I enjoy the normal formula for romance books of meeting, the relationship growing, then some conflict then they finally get together at the end of the book, I r ...more
Rocío
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Four Steps was such a good book that I had to read her second. And it hasn't disappointed me a bit. It's an excellent book where the suspense, sorrow, laughs and love are guaranteed.
Erin Carter is a secondary maths teacher who decides to look for her long lost father after her mother's death. She starts looking for reasons to her nightmares. She is lost without her mum and seeks to find some peace by finding him but, at the same time, is afraid he may be just as the little she remembers. ...more
Mazzie
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an ARC in exchange for my honest review.

I was a big fan of Wendy Hudson's debut novel, Four Steps, and she writes mystery/suspense mixed with romance very well in that novel.

Her style seems to be an alternating POV between several characters, usually both romantic lead characters and one antagonist. It worked very well in her debut novel., but not so much in this one. I think the main issue is that I knew the "twist" pretty much right from beginning so it wasn't surprising at all fo
David Kenvyn
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a jolly life-affirming romp through murder and mayhem, with a lesbian love story thrown in for good measure. This is a thriller, but it is not a mystery. You know who the villain is from the first page. There is not even a question about whether the villain will be dealt with by the feisty lesbians. Of course he will. The thrills come because you do not know how they are going to do it, and you do not know whether or not there will be any damage along the way.
There has certainly be
« previous 1 3 next »

• Who'd Have Thought
  • Rock and a Hard Place
  • The Brutal Truth
  • The Last First Time
  • Pink
  • The Art of Us
  • Long-Distance Coffee (Midnight Coffee, #1)
  • Love at First Write
  • Perfect Rhythm
  • Just for Show
  • The Lily and the Crown
  • Almost-Married Moni (Girl Meets Girl, #3.5)
  • Love is not Nothing
  • Coffee and Conclusions (Midnight Coffee, #2)
  • Party Wall
  • Up on the Roof
  • Face It
  • The Music and the Mirror
Wendy Hudson is an award winning author based in Scotland.

Her debut novel "Four Steps" won a 2017 GCLS Debut Author Award, was a Diva Literary Award Finalist 2017.

Her second novel "Mine to Keep" was a 2018 GCLS Finalist.

All her novels are set in Scotland among the inspirational landscapes that first inspired Wendy to write.

In her spare time, Wendy has a love fo