Start by marking “The Scorpio Races” as Want to Read:
The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  84,079 ratings  ·  11,556 reviews
With her trademark lyricism, Maggie Stiefvater turns to a new world, where a pair are swept up in a daring, dangerous race across a cliff—with more than just their lives at stake should they lose.
Published October 18th 2011 by Scholastic Trade Publisher

To ask other readers questions about The Scorpio Races, please sign up.
Elise Nicole The story isn't about the race, not really. That's what you think it will be but it DEFINITELY isn't. It's a much deeper and more fascinating look at…moreThe story isn't about the race, not really. That's what you think it will be but it DEFINITELY isn't. It's a much deeper and more fascinating look at human emotion and motive. Just cause it's called The Scorpio Races doesn't mean that's the only thing it's about!(less)
Carly Shiver was agonizing. I could not get through the trilogy, and I could not bear to read one more line about how much the characters were infatuated…moreShiver was agonizing. I could not get through the trilogy, and I could not bear to read one more line about how much the characters were infatuated with each other, entirely dependent on the love of the other. The Scorpio Races is my favorite book, and it was nothing like the Shiver trilogy. Stiefvater was able to compose a plot independent of a love story, and the romance that she did include was appropriately limited. I personally felt connected to all of the characters in the book as well as the setting, which certainly did not happen in Shiver.

That being said, this is not a piece of literature that will be remembered throughout time. Her writing is simplistic because it is aimed at younger readers. Everything is stated, not much left to interpretation. Her language is beautiful, but it cannot compare to that of the classics. If you are looking for good writing, this is it. If you are looking for great writing, search elsewhere. (less)

Maggie Stiefvater
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
You know I had to. It IS my favorite of all my books, after all.
C.G. Drews
--> REREAD #3, NOVEMBER 2017
So I purely reread this for the aesthetic of NOVEMBER 1st. Go me. I am shallow and great. And also I love this book so bloody much it actually hurts my heart. I am hopelessly and utterly in love with Sean and Corr and Thisby and every word choice is so PERFECT that it melts me.

Notable 3rd Read Thoughts:
• can Holly pls adopt Sean
• Puck keeps trying to be less vinegar but she should be all the vinegar
• 99% sure Finn has OCD and it is such a good rep
• Gabe and Tommy F
شيماء ✨
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is the first day of November and so, today, someone will die.”

With these haunting words laid out like a feast of uncertainty and doom, Maggie Stiefvater launches a new telling of an old tale inspired by elements of Celtic mythology, legends of the water horses, and her own imagination.

And nothing had ever been more beautiful, or fearsome, or bizarre.

So, what's this book about?

Each October, dread settles over the island of Thisby, as The Scorpio sea throws capaill uisce—commonly known as wa
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Somewhere close by, a man is moaning; he’s been trampled or thrown or bitten. He sounds resentful or surprised. Did no one tell him that pain lives in this sand, dug in and watered with our blood?”

I really don’t know where I should start with this review because just like any of Maggie’s other books this one wasn’t only magical but also so damn atmospheric that it’s more than just hard to put my feelings into proper words. There is something in the way she writes that always captures the emotio
Lyndsey
Also posted on STRANGEMORE.COM.

This is basically the paranormal version of Misty of Chincatigue with (gasp!) romance!

Like Hidalgo, on the beach instead of the desert with (gasp!) kissing! Between two riders! NOT between the horse and it's rider though. Well... sometimes between the horse and it's rider. Just a little.

When this book started, it felt like a breath of fresh sea air, not rife with the smell of YA cliche. That was mainly because I thought this book was told from the alternating persp
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
GET IT HERE FOR $1.99! 9/22/2017!

"This Skarmouth is raw and hungry, striving and unknowable. Everything the race makes me feel on the inside is bleeding up through the seams in the street tonight." - Sean Kendrick

"I wonder how long it will take for me to feel as adult on the inside as I look on the outside." - Puck Connolly

*deep breath*

Sometimes you read a book and it becomes your whole world while you are reading it. For me, The Scorpio Races is one of those books.

I am just forever in debt to
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
3.5/5 stars!

I really liked The Scorpio Races, and I'm glad I listened to it on audiobook. Since there were two voice actors it was very easy to separate Puck and Sean, which was lucky since I've heard that some readers found it very difficult to distinguish between them when reading the book. The narrators also had very different ways of speaking as the characters, which made it impossible to mix the two up while listening.

The writing was beautiful. There is such a rich atmosphere, and the descr
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2016, favorites
"It's easy to convince men to love you. All you have to do is be a mountain they have to climb or a poem they don't understand."

Puck has a horse, two brothers and soon no house to call a home. Sean's heart beats for something that he doesn't own. Both have no choice and only one chance to get what they desperately need. It's either win or die.

Why did I not pick this up sooner?
This totally deserves the 5 star rating. My heart goes out to every single tiny detail of this book. But most of all for
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
They came in with the tide. The moon illuminated long lines of froth as the waves gathered and gathered and gathered offshore, and when they finally broke on the sand, the capaill uisce tumbled onto the shore with them. The horses pulled their heads up with effort, trying to break free from the salt water.

I had to restrain the squealing, fangirly Maja and shove her in the closet so that the adult, critical Maja can sit and write this review. Believe me, it’s better this way.

With The Scorpio Rac
Claudia Ramírez
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: made-me-cry, 2014
I ACTUALLY CRIED WITH THE LAST LINE OF THIS BOOK. REAL TEARS.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I don't even know what to say!

Wendy Darling
Killer water horses + Maggie Stiefvater. What could go wrong?

As it turns out, quite a lot. I feel just terrible writing this, and if you want to know just how much, it actually took me 4 months to make myself finish the book--partly because I wasn't engaged in the story, but also because I could sense that this wasn't going to be good reading experience. After the bruising my heart took with Forever, I really didn't want to write a second negative review for this author. But I'm afraid my disapp
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

I reckon the reasons for which The Scorpio Races weaved itself throughout my beloved favorites could cause an opposite reaction to other readers. Do I care, though? No, because every slow-paced page, every heartfelt and beautiful sentence, every haunting and atmospheric landscape, every inch of Sean's bloody-stained jacket and killer horse reminds me that if nothing else, The Scorpio Races has a soul, and I'm consumed by it.

"I am here on firm ground, but part of me is already down on the beac
°°°·.°·..·°¯°·._.· ʜᴇʟᴇɴ Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος ·._.·°¯°·.·° .·°°° ★·.·´¯`·.·★ Ⓥⓔⓡⓝⓤⓢ Ⓟⓞⓡⓣⓘⓣⓞⓡ Ⓐⓡⓒⓐⓝⓤⓢ Ταμετούρο   Αμ
Ένα μικρό νησί άγονο,αραιοκατοικημενο,πνιγμένο στην αλμυρα και τους καταστροφικούς ανέμους με απόκρημνες και επικίνδυνες παραλίες και αγανακτισμένους ή ονειροπόλους νησιώτες,ειναι το νησί που διεξάγονται οι αγώνες του σκορπιού.

Κάθε χρόνο στις αρχές του Νοέμβρη ένα έθιμο που αποτελεί ιεροτελεστία για τους κατοίκους αλλά και το μοναδικό τουριστικό θέλγητρο. Εκτός βέβαια από το μυθικό χάρισμα αυτού του νησιού.

Στις παραλίες του ξεβράζονται κάθε χρόνο το φθινόπωρο τεράστια μυθικά τέρατα με τη μορφή
may ❀

Buddy reading this with my queen, Em (rip) my girl, Empress but they both have no chill so I'm going ahead and starting. :)

Maggie Stiefvater has built a world that I want to live in forever.

description

The Scorpio Races is a slightly mystical, slightly historic, all-around awesome tale narrated by our two main characters, Sean Kendrick and “Puck” Kate Connolly. Every November the Scorpio Races take place which is a race where riders must hold their water horses away from the siren waters long eno
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
3 Stars

Overview:

Look, no one is more upset about this rating than me. I wanted to love this so much. I recently finished The Raven Cycle, and it became one of my favorite series. I’d heard so many great things about this, I was sure I’d love it.

...But I just feel really underwhelmed?

Pros:

I sti
carol.
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse-fans, fans of complex YA

Tarot card reading for this book: inverted Tower. The Tower is leaning into the sea, crumbling, with thrashing waves and stormy skies, and while it can be a card of destruction, it can also be a card of fundamental change--which describes The Scorpio Races down to the letter.
description
A fierce and hungry book. Even the wind is hungry here, "a live, starving thing." The tomboyish Kate, otherwise known as 'Puck,' and her brothers have been orphaned ever since the carnivorous water horses killed their parent
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kainat by: Nidofito
“Vices were only vices
when looked at through the frame of society.”

Another remarkable story delivered by Maggie Stiefvater, there is a surprise!

I have a strange relationship with Maggie's characters. I don't just love Ronan Lynch. I love everything that comes with him. I love Chainsaw like it's my pet. I'm protective of his BMW like it's my adopted child. Hell, i even love his boyfriend like i'm his mother. Same goes here: I don't just like Kate and Sean, it's just everything! I'm not sure i
Robin (Bridge Four)
Kindle Daily deal for $1.99 10Sept17

Buddy Read starting Feb 15, 2015 with Brandi, Nicholas, Tandie, Sophie, D G, Athena Shardbearer, Kerry, Mich, AshleyR, Jessica and Michelle at Buddies Books and Baubles

Steve West has one of the sexiest voices ever. What a great time I had listening to this story all over again. Thanks buddy readers for a really fun reread of a story I enjoy.

Original Review:

4.5 Stars

“I didn't know," I start truthfully, "that it was the hard way when I started on it.”

I’ve hav
Choko
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
*** 4.75 ***

A Buddy Read with the MacHalo Freaks, because mythical blood-thirsty Water Horses are awesome!!!

Let me start by saying that very few authors are capable of affecting me emotionally the way Maggie Stiefvater does. Her prose is magic! I am not just spouting words here. Her writing hits somewhere in the vicinity of my soul and I can't get away unscathed. She wounds with her beautiful prose, enchants with her lyrical cadence of melody made of letters, and heals with the hope for salvatio
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
That was a complete and utter gift. I will treasure this book for the rest of my life.
Lora
Mar 01, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am seriously excited for this. As excited as this kitten, in fact.

Arlene
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA Fantasy Fans
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Booker Tour - ARC Flannery
Shelves: arc, read-2011, ya-fantasy
Absolutely fantasical! More please...

First off, a huge thanks to Flannery from thereadventurer who is touring this book with the Street Corner Bookers and allowed me to experience this crazy sauce of a book! Thank you!

Wow! Just wow!! Maggie Stiefvater has definitely cemented her status in the YA genre and Scorpio Races is her full access ticket to the game. I've enjoyed her Mercy Falls trilogy for over a couple of years, but this book has definitely pulled her away from the pack and shown she ha
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Scorpio Races is such a beautifully written tale, I swear I could cry. In retrospect, I did cry while reading the book. In fact, I’ve experienced a dozen different emotions while reading. The entire story was exciting, intriguing, terrifying, hilarious, romantic, inspiring, fantastical and heartwarming. I adored it.

It’s funny because I was never a fan of Ms. Maggie Stiefvater. I tried reading Shiver but got so bored I didn’t even finish it. I gave her a second chance in Raven Boys and even thou
Lia  (a paper pigeon)
I have so many books on my tbr and yet here I am again, wanting to re-read this for the millionth time.
Tamora Pierce
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-ya-yr
On a small island in the Scorpio Sea, men and boys strive to capture the deadly, killer water horses that come onto the land from the ocean. If they can master these mounts, they can ride in the yearly races for honor, glory, and big cash bets. Sean Kendrick races for his father, killed by the same water horse he rides now, and for the horse farm he works for as chief hostler. He has won the Scorpio Races four times and understands the water horses like no one else. Puck Connolly, on the other h ...more
Maggie
This was a book I was ready to hate. Actually, if I'm being honest, this was a book I wanted to hate. What? German foosball players aren't the only ones capable of schadenfreude.
description

Plus, this was a story about horses, those vicious, four-legged beasts that naive children are tricked into riding at summer camp before they're brutally thrown off. Hypothetically speaking, of course. Yet I found myself drawn into this story, this mythic tale of savage water horses in a barbaric race created by all too
Elise (TheBookishActress)
It feels like he's confessed that he's dying of a disease I've never heard of, with symptoms I can't see. The utter wrongness of it, the way it won't fit in my head, keeps coming back to me again and again, as if I've only just learned about it.

The Scorpio Races is about man-eating horses, but it's more about finding where you belong. Here, two very different people try to hold onto the things they love most, even as their world spins around them.

Maggie Stiefvater's writing style is just a
Jessica
Welp, kids. It's been real, but I'm going to retire now.

This is a perfect book. It's perfect.

This. Book. Is. Perfect.

It is an embarrassment for me to even try to write anything after this.

So, in lieu of continuing to try to write, I will simply be giving out copies of The Scorpio Races to everyone for all future birthdays and Christmases.
Philip
3.5ish stars.

An enjoyable YA sort-of-fantasy, sort-of-romance book that doesn't really focus on either genre as much as it focuses on its likable lead characters and the cool water horses used to race in the titular Scorpio Races. It's also just very classy; it's definitely a YA novel, but it avoids being immature. YA fantasy/romance is not my preferred genre for which reason I tend not to read much of it, and I don't expect this to make a particularly lasting effect on me, but this made for a v
Drop Everything A...: The Scorpio Races 1 16 Jul 04, 2018 05:34AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Scorpio Races [Mar 18, 2018] 93 36 Mar 24, 2018 04:20AM
Did you fall in love with Sean? 4 36 Mar 09, 2018 11:32AM
Puck's Age 7 137 Feb 22, 2018 09:59PM
AP Language SHS: Autumn Olsen--Summer Reading 2 7 Sep 20, 2017 08:05AM
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • The Returning
  • Lips Touch: Three Times
  • Chime
  • Midwinterblood
  • Red Glove (Curse Workers, #2)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondheim (The Story of Owen, #1)
  • Seraphina (Seraphina, #1)
  • Plain Kate
  • The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1)
  • The Brides of Rollrock Island
  • The Strange Maid (The United States of Asgard, #2)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Freedom Maze
  • The White Bicycle (Wild Orchard, #3)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
  • Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been formed by a desire to leave a mark, resulting in spray-painted cars, sharpie-covered computer printers, ink-splattered walls, and stories told in books, in magazines, and on stages. Maggie Stiefvater l
“I say, 'I will not be your weakness, Sean Kendrick.'
Now he looks at me. He says, very softly, 'It's late for that, Puck.”
957 likes
“There are moments that you'll remember for the rest of your life and there are moments that you think you'll remember for the rest of your life, and it's not often they turn out to be the same moment.” 783 likes